North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(20 Mar 2015, 8:19 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I've got a few things planned over the next few weeks.

I've got Thursday 26th off, then I'm off for two weeks starting next Thursday.

I'm intending to do:
- Weardale
- Northumberland
- County Durham
- Sunderland

Anyone got any ideas on some nice things to do, especially Weardale/County Durham as I don't have much knowledge of those areas.

In County Durham, you could visit Stanley. Nothing is burned down or anything - just stay away from Chester-le-Street, you might catch something. (Runs away from Marcus chasing me with a weapon of his choice) Tongue 
(20 Mar 2015, 8:19 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I've got a few things planned over the next few weeks.

I've got Thursday 26th off, then I'm off for two weeks starting next Thursday.

I'm intending to do:
- Weardale
- Northumberland
- County Durham
- Sunderland

Anyone got any ideas on some nice things to do, especially Weardale/County Durham as I don't have much knowledge of those areas.

Have you tried Consett bus station?
(20 Mar 2015, 8:34 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]Have you tried Consett bus station?

Aye, want to go somehwere a bit more exciting than a bus station though!  Smile
(20 Mar 2015, 8:35 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Aye, want to go somehwere a bit more exciting than a bus station though!  Smile

Haha  Smile
(20 Mar 2015, 8:35 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Aye, want to go somehwere a bit more exciting than a bus station though!  Smile

Have to admit - Consett is a bit of a chav magnet. Only decent place imo is Durham. Everywhere else is pretty bare.
(20 Mar 2015, 8:40 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ]Have to admit - Consett is a bit of a chav magnet. Only decent place imo is Durham. Everywhere else is pretty bare.

Aye I suppose.
Might try some of the Ventures (V1/V2, V9 and 689 seem decent), and possibly the Weardale 764.
(20 Mar 2015, 8:31 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ]In County Durham, you could visit Stanley. Nothing is burned down or anything - just stay away from Chester-le-Street, you might catch something. (Runs away from Marcus chasing me with a weapon of his choice) Tongue 

Weapon of choice: 3813 (citaro5284 at the wheel and me in the machine gun turret in the front upper window). Big Grin

To be honest, it's the little villages towards Stanley (Craghead, etc) that the scruffy ''regulars'' in Chester-le-Street town centre on an average day that find their way down this way!
(20 Mar 2015, 8:51 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Weapon of choice: 3813 (citaro5284 at the wheel and me in the machine gun turret in the front upper window). Big Grin

To be honest, it's the little villages towards Stanley (Craghead, etc) that the scruffy ''regulars'' in Chester-le-Street town centre on an average day that find their way down this way!

The worst place in Stanley has to be Hollyhill Gardens - buses often got their windows put out round that way on a night. Hopefully they leave these Streetlites alone!
(20 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ]The worst place in Stanley has to be Hollyhill Gardens - buses often got their windows put out round that way on a night. Hopefully they leave these Streetlites alone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S5NJDqePTE

Tongue
I won't be going out tomorrow in the North East however I'm aiming for this next weekend. Got another plan, going on one of the railtours that the company I work for are running! Smile
(20 Mar 2015, 9:12 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]I won't be going out tomorrow in the North East however I'm aiming for this next weekend. Got another plan, going on one of the railtours that the company I work for are running! Smile

Enjoy it, Sean! What've you got? Smile
Get on the 43/44/44A out of Durham towards Stanley, there are some excellent scenic photo opportunities along the route Tom.
(20 Mar 2015, 9:16 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Get on the 43/44/44A out of Durham towards Stanley, there are some excellent scenic photo opportunities along the route Tom.

I might do that!
Where are the nice places?
(20 Mar 2015, 9:17 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I might do that!
Where are the nice places?

There are a couple of sections of the route that have practically no buildings at all and have nice views. Would be a lot better if you get a decker of some sort. The main sections are Craghead to Edmondsley and Sacriston to New College. 
(20 Mar 2015, 9:14 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Enjoy it, Sean! What've you got? Smile

Class 57/0s from Preston to Carlisle via Barrow Docks, the Cumbrian Coast and Workington Docks Smile
Can't turn down a freebie!
(20 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Class 57/0s from Preston to Carlisle via Barrow Docks, the Cumbrian Coast and Workington Docks Smile

Sounds nice, have a good time! Smile
(20 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm)northern156 wrote [ -> ]Class 57/0s from Preston to Carlisle via Barrow Docks, the Cumbrian Coast and Workington Docks Smile

Do you know if it'll pass through the North East, Sean?
(20 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]Do you know if it'll pass through the North East, Sean?

Are any of those locations in the north east? Wink
(20 Mar 2015, 10:24 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Are any of those locations in the north east? Wink

No, but i thought it might have done the same journey as the 2 black 5 ' s did a couple of weeks ago
(20 Mar 2015, 10:25 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]No, but i thought it might have done the same journey as the 2 black 5 ' s did a couple of weeks ago

Doubt it would, the Tyne Valley Line doesnt go through Workington or down the Cumbrian Coast. Unfortunately this time you'd have to go to it rather than it coming to you.