North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05 Feb 2015, 8:38 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]I'm not sure on how well it does between Asda and Jarrow... maybe citaro could give us an idea of how the 9 does overall?

Iv'e noticed some run quite late.

Not bad, but not good from my experience.

I think a 15 minute frequency could work between Sunderland and Boldon Asda, but 30 minutes between Boldon Asda and North Shields. Something needs to be done to improve reliability. I'll try and come up with a timetable.
(05 Feb 2015, 8:43 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Not bad, but not good from my experience.

I think a 15 minute frequency could work between Sunderland and Boldon Asda, but 30 minutes between Boldon Asda and North Shields. Something needs to be done to improve reliability. I'll try and come up with a timetable.
Forgot to add that, i'm not sure how well it also does from Jarrow to North Shields also.
Maybe just change it back to every 30 minutes, full route?
(05 Feb 2015, 8:55 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Forgot to add that, i'm not sure how well it also does from Jarrow to North Shields also.
Maybe just change it back to every 30 minutes, full route?

Jarrow to North Shields is terrible. Not many passengers at all.

Yeah possibly. 
(05 Feb 2015, 8:56 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Jarrow to North Shields is terrible. Not many passengers at all.

Yeah possibly. 

Hmm that's not good Undecided, like i saod before maybe citaro could let us know how well it does.... only of course, if he wants to and hes aloud Smile
(05 Feb 2015, 9:00 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Hmm that's not good Undecided, like i saod before maybe citaro could let us know how well it does.... only of course, if he wants to and hes aloud Smile

It's secured by Nexus from Jarrow to North Shields, so that says a lot...
(05 Feb 2015, 9:01 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]It's secured by Nexus from Jarrow to North Shields, so that says a lot...

Learn something new everyday... ye it does like, maybe they could re-route one of them somewhere else.
Did the 9 run hourly between Jarrow and North Shields before the January changes?

Just because I got a bit of a surprise when my 27 was running late (the 9 would be sat there when the 27 arrived before changes) and arrived at Jarrow to see a bus due in 10 minutes and half-hourly frequency Undecided
(06 Feb 2015, 11:45 am)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]Did the 9 run hourly between Jarrow and North Shields before the January changes?

Just because I got a bit of a surprise when my 27 was running late (the 9 would be sat there when the 27 arrived before changes) and arrived at Jarrow to see a bus due in 10 minutes and half-hourly frequency  Undecided

Service 9 was not affected by the recent service revisions in Sunderland.

The services between Sunderland and Boldon were revised as a result of the North Sunderland consultation held in October 2013. You can see full details here, but I'll also sum them up on this post for your benefit:
  • Service 9 was proposed to be increased in frequency from 30 minutes to 15 minutes, acting as a replacement for service X3 which was proposed to be withdrawn.
  • Service X36 was also proposed to be increased in frequency from 60 minutes to 30 minutes, again, acting as a replacement for service X3 which was proposed to be withdrawn, but also acting as a replacement for services 36/36A which were proposed to be withdrawn.
  • Service 26 was proposed to be increased in frequency from 30 minutes to 20 minutes, acting as a replacement for services 36/36A which were proposed to be withdrawn. Service 26 was also proposed to be extended to Doxford Park from Park Lane, additionally being re-numbered service 29, acting as a replacement for the short 39 services which were introduced between Sunderland and Doxford Park. This was so that Go North East could continue to provide a 10-minute frequency between Sunderland and Doxford Park.
Service X3 was not in fact withdrawn, but all of the above service changes commenced. Service X3 instead operated around scholars services and was allocated a double-decked vehicle as a result. It provided a limited number of express journeys between Monkwearmouth and Newcastle.

The Sunderland - North Shields runs are operated by Percy Main Depot and should be allocated four OmniCitys. The Sunderland - Jarrow runs are operated by Deptford Depot and should be allocated three Volvo B7TL/Plaxton Presidents. The latter must be operated by double-decked vehicles on weekdays as it interworks with scholars services; hence, buses begin to drop out from 15:00 onwards upon arrival at Jarrow. 
(05 Feb 2015, 8:14 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I wouldn't advise doing the whole 9 route, especially as it'll be a dual door renown more than likely.
The 310 route is quite rough around Meadowell too. 

Go on Marcus....live life on the edge  Big Grin
(06 Feb 2015, 6:46 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Go on Marcus....live life on the edge  Big Grin

I think I will. Wink
(06 Feb 2015, 6:47 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]I think I will. Wink

Instead of the 310 straight to Newcastle, maybe you should get a 17 to Whitley Bay and a 309 to Blyth, the one of the Arriva services back to Haymarket?
(06 Feb 2015, 6:49 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Instead of the 310 straight to Newcastle, maybe you should get a 17 to Whitley Bay and a 309 to Blyth, the one of the Arriva services back to Haymarket?

By mind Tom, you are trying your hardest to get Marcus onto an Arriva bus, first the 306 and now from Blyth on a MAX  Tongue
(06 Feb 2015, 6:52 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]By mind Tom, you are trying your hardest to get Marcus onto an Arriva bus, first the 306 and now from Blyth on a MAX  Tongue

The way the reliability issues appear to be I could be waiting for ages, so I reckon I'll just get the 310 back to Newcastle and play it safe...Wink
(06 Feb 2015, 6:55 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]The way the reliability issues appear to be I could be waiting for ages, so I reckon I'll just get the 310 back to Newcastle and play it safe...Wink

I doubt it?
There are about 10+ buses a hour from Blyth!
(06 Feb 2015, 6:55 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]The way the reliability issues appear to be I could be waiting for ages, so I reckon I'll just get the 310 back to Newcastle and play it safe...Wink

W'hey, you've got power sockets on the 309 as well..!
(06 Feb 2015, 6:56 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]W'hey, you've got power sockets on the 309 as well..!

Tell that to the pair of morons I endured Gateshead-Chester on the 21 with a couple of weeks ago - bloody crying because 6056 didn't have plug sockets! Undecided
(06 Feb 2015, 6:57 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Tell that to the pair of morons I endured Gateshead-Chester on the 21 with a couple of weeks ago - bloody crying because 6056 didn't have plug sockets! Undecided

Usually it's gtom crying when a B7 turns up instead of a Hybrid.
(06 Feb 2015, 6:57 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Tell that to the pair of morons I endured Gateshead-Chester on the 21 with a couple of weeks ago - bloody crying because 6056 didn't have plug sockets! Undecided

Maybe something like this:

#36 - My House to Houghton
(09:50 --- 10:14)
#20A - Houghton to Sunderland
(10:16 --- 10:42)
#9 - Sunderland to North Shields
(10:49 --- 11:44)
#17 -  North Shields to Whitley Bay
(11:47 --- 12:10)
#309 - Whitley Bay to Blyth
(12:22 --- 12:44)
#X4 - Blyth to Newcastle
(12:50 --- 1345)
(06 Feb 2015, 7:09 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Maybe something like this:

#36 - My House to Houghton
(09:50 --- 10:14)
#20A - Houghton to Sunderland
(10:16 --- 10:42)
#9 - Sunderland to North Shields
(10:49 --- 11:44)
#17 -  North Shields to Whitley Bay
(11:47 --- 12:10)
#309 - Whitley Bay to Blyth
(12:22 --- 12:44)
#X4 - Blyth to Newcastle
(12:50 --- 1345)

Connections are awfully tight.

Might it be worth staying on the 36 all the way to Town End Farm (if Marcus could actually endure such a long journey), hopping off, waiting for 15 minutes for the next 35 to Boldon (photographing any Stagecoach buses in the area), then getting on a 9 to North Shields from there? If it's a Jarrow short - even better - jump on that then have some time for photos at Jarrow.
(06 Feb 2015, 7:32 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Connections are awfully tight.

Might it be worth staying on the 36 all the way to Town End Farm (if Marcus could actually endure such a long journey), hopping off, waiting for 15 minutes for the next 35 to Boldon (photographing any Stagecoach buses in the area), then getting on a 9 to North Shields from there? If it's a Jarrow short - even better - jump on that then have some time for photos at Jarrow.

Members of the Green family are a lot stronger than you think, GRAHAM! Tongue Tongue

I don't think I could last that long on a Merc judging by 5306 and 5308, which I had previously on the 36 and couldn't stand. However, anything rare or odd and I could happily last an hour and a bit. Wink

Anyway, I normally plan my day and it never follows the exact thing. I'll plan a 10 from Newcastle to the MetroCentre and wind up using a Toon Link or Diamond or something lol. I'll see how things end up during the adventure.

Thanks all for your suggestions though! Big Grin