North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(29 May 2016, 11:31 am)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Cheers  Smile  I love it when a Pulsar turns up, Less gears = More thrash
Second best on there has to be the Stagecoach E300s ( Not the MAN Chassis ones ) for pretty much the same reason, Though the E300s come first for comfort!

I feel that Pulsars would be a better allocation when the route gets Branded jointly with Stagecoach, Omnictiys would've been better on the X16 though.

4660-4662 and 4664 need a big internal refresh, I like Arriva MAX ones but I really LOVE the GNE ones that were on the 19. The issue with these Arriva ones is that the seats are falling apart they are dirty and don't sound great.
I have only once had a Stagecoach E300 and it was last summer when 24119 turned up, the driver thrashed it but it was silent, and for me at least it has big firm seats. The pulsars I find are not suited to long distance which is something the omnicities are suited for, as for the X16 I think that 1408 and 1411 aren't a bad choice but I reckon you'll get a headache if you're on one for too long. One positive though of 1408 and 1411 being allocated is more MPDs for me on the 55, a service I use at least twice a week Big Grin as for omnicities they would be good on the 46 in Durham but at Jesmond the 85/685 is really the only option, which I wouldn't mind if they had a refurbishment. I just get annoyed on the rare event they go on the 52 or 55
(29 May 2016, 10:36 am)James101 wrote [ -> ]Did you spot any seals as you zip over the bridge at Greatham Creek too? That's my favourite part of the 1.

Unfortunately not.

Which reminds me that I don't think there's a Stagecoach most boring or interesting routes thread. Not many of their routes qualify as interesting, but this one's an exception.
(28 May 2016, 11:09 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]Was hoping for one of the Slimline Solo's which are apparently allocated to the short 685's, But never mind.

E200s and Solos (both original and SR) are typically allocated to short 685s.
However anything can turn up. Olympians used to be a favourite for it.
If anybody wants a ride on something that shakes more than a Streetlite, try one of Scarborough and Districts E200s - one of the 63 reg batch, at least.
Been having a look at Train Tickets and of course the Weather, and I am thinking of going to Glasgow instead of Manchester. This due the weather looking on the gloomy side in Manchester over the next few days, whereas up in Glasgow its going sunny and 18 Degress+, furthermore the Train Tickets are going to be a lot cheaper. Just need to sort out my Railcard tomorrow before booking my tickets.
(30 May 2016, 9:01 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Been having a look at Train Tickets and of course the Weather, and I am thinking of going to Glasgow instead of Manchester. This due the weather looking on the gloomy side in Manchester over the next few days, whereas up in Glasgow its going sunny and 18 Degress+, furthermore the Train Tickets are going to be a lot cheaper. Just need to sort out my Railcard tomorrow before booking my tickets.

Typical Manc weather that!

Last time I was down there for four days and on the second day I got soaked from head to toe as I made my way back to the hotel which took ages to get back to as I was at the other end of the city centre and I got a little bit lost, I only had a thin hoodie on as well and only had that one pair of jeans, at least I treated myself to a new hoodie whilst I was down there.
OK, so Ive booked train tickets to Edinburgh for next Saturday.

We'll have 4-5 hours there. Any recommendations for some good spots for photo ops without travelling too far around the city? I can kill 4-5 hours in the city centre very easily (particularly as I haven't been there for 11 years), but I want it to be interesting for big'un, too.
(30 May 2016, 9:51 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]OK, so Ive booked train tickets to Edinburgh for next Saturday.

We'll have 4-5 hours there. Any recommendations for some good spots for photo ops without travelling too far around the city? I can kill 4-5 hours in the city centre very easily (particularly as I haven't been there for 11 years), but I want it to be interesting for big'un, too.

If you haven't done plusbus, get a Lothian day ticket, as it'll give you bus and tram access.

Princes Street is decent, but quite hectic. You may be better going somewhere like the Gyle Centre or Ocean Terminal. Buses terminate both ends, and there's not a huge amount of footfall in comparison.

There's also the bus station. There's a wall on the exit, where you can get photos of stuff coming in and out. If you get the tram to York Street, it's a short walk back on yourself, and you'll get all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff coming in.
(30 May 2016, 10:01 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]If you haven't done plusbus, get a Lothian day ticket, as it'll give you bus and tram access.

Princes Street is decent, but quite hectic. You may be better going somewhere like the Gyle Centre or Ocean Terminal. Buses terminate both ends, and there's not a huge amount of footfall in comparison.

There's also the bus station. There's a wall on the exit, where you can get photos of stuff coming in and out. If you get the tram to York Street, it's a short walk back on yourself, and you'll get all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff coming in.

As I said. Don't really want to leave the centre,vor else I would have done plusbus. His attention span is probably enough for princes Street, this time around. Might consider this year's open day if he's happy with the journey and surroundings. He wasn't so fond of York, bu I don't blame him as that is much more awful and tourity than een a decade ago.

The tram sounds good, too.
So pleased the 11:18 22 from Ripon to York was late otherwise I wouldn't have a Little Explorers photo today as white MPD PK51LJX (665) is on the 12:00 from Ripon. It is an absolute **** heap as well.
(31 May 2016, 11:13 am)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]So pleased the 11:18 22 from Ripon to York was late otherwise I wouldn't have a Little Explorers photo today as white MPD PK51LJX (665) is on the 12:00 from Ripon. It is an absolute **** heap as well.

I had it earlier from York to Bourghbridge and because it's a type of rare dart I quite like it!

Though the rattles were bad.
(31 May 2016, 12:24 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]I had it earlier from York to Bourghbridge and because it's a rare dart I quite like it!
Think I may have jumped to an option slightly too soon, it's actually not too bad really apart from the noise from the back when stationary, some of the roads on this route are shocking. Still on it as it's 20 odd minutes late so I have not got off in Knaresborough like originally planned and instead staying on until Harrogate. Now arriving in Harrogate.
(31 May 2016, 12:28 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Think I may have jumped to an option slightly too soon, it's actually not too bad really apart from the noise from the back when stationary, some of the roads on this route are shocking. Still on it as it's 20 odd minutes late so I have not got off in Knaresborough like originally planned and instead staying on until Harrogate. Now arriving in Harrogate.

I agree on the roads, most are only country lanes too.

It was 10 late leaving York so it's picked up more delays along the way.

I'm about 10 minutes from Harrogate bus station.
(31 May 2016, 12:35 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]I agree on the roads, most are only country lanes too.

It was 10 late leaving York so it's picked up more delays along the way.

I'm about 10 minutes from Harrogate bus station.
I'm at the exit to the bus station.
(30 May 2016, 11:41 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]As I said. Don't really want to leave the centre,vor else I would have done plusbus. His attention span is probably enough for princes Street, this time around. Might consider this year's open day if he's happy with the journey and surroundings. He wasn't so fond of York, bu I don't blame him as that is much more awful and tourity than een a decade ago.

The tram sounds good, too.

The bus station is a 6 minute walk from Waverley steps, so you wouldn't really be leaving the centre. This link should show - https://goo.gl/maps/jGTvXti6Zht

You won't get a huge amount of conventional buses there, but you do get the likes of the Perrymans stuff, the Stagecoach services, and the odd First service.
First ever photo on Flickr of Transdev's New Little Explorers was uploaded by me today! Quite Privileged in a way.
Here it is in the small village of Aldbourgh https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@...ed-public/

Also met up with Matthew today ( NEBs Jimmi ) in Harrogate later on and we spent about a hour and a half before I headed off to Leeds.
So look out for his photos too of them Smile

Might write a review later if I can be bothered.
(31 May 2016, 4:51 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]The bus station is a 6 minute walk from Waverley steps, so you wouldn't really be leaving the centre. This link should show - https://goo.gl/maps/jGTvXti6Zht

You won't get a huge amount of conventional buses there, but you do get the likes of the Perrymans stuff, the Stagecoach services, and the odd First service.

That sounds very doable then and a variety of stuff is good, given that he has the attention span of a
(31 May 2016, 6:56 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]First ever photo on Flickr of Transdev's New Little Explorers was uploaded by me today! Quite Privileged in a way.
Here it is in the small village of Aldbourgh https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@...ed-public/

Also met up with Matthew today ( NEBs Jimmi ) in Harrogate later on and we spent about a hour and a half before I headed off to Leeds.
So look out for his photos too of them Smile

Might write a review later if I can be bothered.

Surprised at the lack of photos and such of them so far, considering a few seemed pretty intrested before today. It's bad when someone from a different region is the first to get a photo online, think I was the first to get a Palladium standard Blackpool Transport Volvo B7RLE/Plaxton Centro in service on Flickr.

Was good to see you again today, kept me amused for some of my long outing today, finally heading home on the 5A now.

A selection of photos will be on my Flickr tonight (providing it isn't broken again!), with some luck there will be some online between around 21:30 and 22:00.
Anyone have any experience of the 5:07 97 starting Sunniside...?
Sounds like a funny joke, I know, but I feel like I should attempt it soon.
(31 May 2016, 6:56 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]First ever photo on Flickr of Transdev's New Little Explorers was uploaded by me today! Quite Privileged in a way.

I think we should narrow this down a bit.

First photo of one of Transdev's Little Explorers in service and with no obstructions
https://www.flickr.com/photos/york-bus/2...tB4-HzJu4M