North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(16 Jul 2014, 8:54 am)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Advance tickets are now available on East Coast for the open doors day at Lothian on the 27th Sept. I'm looking at the 07.43 off Newcastle and the 17.30 off Edinburgh. £11.25 each way.

Was just about ask what the Date was for this Event, I'm going book closer to the Date as I don't have any Money atm, Skint after Last Weeks Trip to Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield.
(16 Jul 2014, 5:32 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Was just about ask what the Date was for this Event, I'm going book closer to the Date as I don't have any Money atm, Skint after Last Weeks Trip to Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield.

The ticket prices for that will rocket, mind, Adam.
(16 Jul 2014, 8:54 am)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Advance tickets are now available on East Coast for the open doors day at Lothian on the 27th Sept. I'm looking at the 07.43 off Newcastle and the 17.30 off Edinburgh. £11.25 each way.

07:38am - £10:40 - Virgin Trains - Arrives into Edinburgh 13 Minutes before the 07:43am - Saving around 90p also

Returning on either 17:08pm or 18:08pm is also £10:40 - Again saving around 90p - Saving in Total £2 with Virgin compared to East Coast.
(16 Jul 2014, 5:42 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The ticket prices for that will rocket, mind, Adam.

That is True, should learn from my mistake with Megabus and the Trip I has planned for London, which didn't happen, i'll book up ASAP in that case then.
(16 Jul 2014, 5:45 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]That is True, should learn from my mistake with Megabus and the Trip I has planned for London, which didn't happen, i'll book up ASAP in that case then.

Yup, you most definitely have to learn from your mistakes with the ECML.

(16 Jul 2014, 5:43 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]07:38am - £10:40 - Virgin Trains - Arrives into Edinburgh 13 Minutes before the 07:43am - Saving around 90p also

Returning on either 17:08pm or 18:08pm is also £10:40 - Again saving around 90p - Saving in Total £2 with Virgin compared to East Coast.

Virgin Trains?
Do you mean Cross Country? I've used the 0738 service from NCL-EDB previously, which was XC.
(16 Jul 2014, 5:43 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]07:38am - £10:40 - Virgin Trains - Arrives into Edinburgh 13 Minutes before the 07:43am - Saving around 90p also

If you're a regular traveller on the East Coast line like me, you'd know that it's worth paying 90p extra to not be on a train that smells like a public toilet. Tongue
(16 Jul 2014, 6:21 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]If you're a regular traveller on the East Coast line like me, you'd know that it's worth paying 90p extra to not be on a train that smells like a public toilet. Tongue

Could be worse could be Northern Rail, Now they much worse than a Public Toilet.
(16 Jul 2014, 6:24 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Could be worse could be Northern Rail, Now they much worse than a Public Toilet.

142/156s don't smell worse than the Voyagers...
(16 Jul 2014, 5:59 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Yup, you most definitely have to learn from your mistakes with the ECML.

Virgin Trains?
Do you mean Cross Country? I've used the 0738 service from NCL-EDB previously, which was XC.

On the Virgin Website now and they operate the 0738, so I assume "Cross Country" is just the Brand Name used by Virgin Trains.
(16 Jul 2014, 6:29 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]142/156s don't smell worse than the Voyagers...

The ones used in Yorkshire between Leeds and Bradford/Wakefield are pretty bad.
(16 Jul 2014, 6:29 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]On the Virgin Website now and they operate the 0738, so I assume "Cross Country" is just the Brand Name used by Virgin Trains.

They're two different companies.
Arriva own CrossCountry.

Where does it say Virgin operate it?
(16 Jul 2014, 6:42 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]They're two different companies.
Arriva own CrossCountry.

Is there not a Partnership of some sort in place then, As surely if the Cross Country and Virgin Trains are two Separate Operators, then they wouldn't be able to operate a Service from Newcastle to Edinburgh that departs at the same time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dc-7c/8389529592/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrossCountry
(16 Jul 2014, 6:42 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]They're two different companies.
Arriva own CrossCountry.

The same train times will be shown on every operators websites, as they can resell each others tickets. If you look on east coast, they identify the trains they operate with their logo.
(16 Jul 2014, 6:51 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Is there not a Partnership of some sort in place then, As surely if the Cross Country and Virgin Trains are two Separate Operators, then they wouldn't be able to operate a Service from Newcastle to Edinburgh that departs at the same time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dc-7c/8389529592/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrossCountry

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C73113/2014/09/27

It's operated by CrossCountry - Virgin does trains from Carlisle to Edinburgh, and I don't think they do anything in Newcastle?
(16 Jul 2014, 6:55 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C73113/2014/09/27

It's operated by CrossCountry - Virgin does trains from Carlisle to Edinburgh, and I don't think they do anything in Newcastle?

Really? I find it interesting that they both operate and depart at the same time though, surely it must indicate a Partnership is in place.

[attachment=5728]
(16 Jul 2014, 7:01 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Really? I find it interesting that they both operate and depart at the same time though, surely it must indicate a Partnership is in place.

See aureolin's post above - the journey to the right of the one you've selected is operated by East Coast.
(16 Jul 2014, 6:55 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]The same train times will be shown on every operators websites, as they can resell each others tickets. If you look on east coast, they identify the trains they operate with their logo.

Come to think of it, sure I seen something similar on the Grand Central Website a few weeks back, with regards to what you have mentioned above, seems rather odd that they are able to do that though.

So basically I could book my Tickets through Virgin but end up on a Cross Country or ECML or National Express Train.
(16 Jul 2014, 7:27 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Come to think of it, sure I seen something similar on the Grand Central Website a few weeks back, with regards to what you have mentioned above, seems rather odd that they are able to do that though.

So basically I could book my Tickets through Virgin but end up on a Cross Country or ECML or National Express Train.

Or the train line, or red spotted hanky. I prefer to use East Coast direct to avoid any booking fees, and I can just pick up tickets at the station for free. Trust us though - avoid the Voyagers on cross country. It's really not worth the £2 saving. Tongue
Had a run out to get some trainers today, turned into a adventure!

#1 1533 Wallsend to Gateshead - GNE 5252
#49B 1618 Gateshead to Metrocentre - GNE 5281
#45 1850ish Metrocentre to Winlaton Mill - GNE 4847
#47 1900ish Winlaton Mill to Newcastle - GNE 51??
Metro - Monument to Wallsend
#17 1954 Wallsend to Rosehill - Phoenix NJ11EXJ
(16 Jul 2014, 7:34 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Or the train line, or red spotted hanky. I prefer to use East Coast direct to avoid any booking fees, and I can just pick up tickets at the station for free. Trust us though - avoid the Voyagers on cross country. It's really not worth the £2 saving. Tongue

For me it was a matter of it costing £4 (if my memory serves) for a child single using that one, compared to the £5.50 with EC, and I saw that it arrived 15 mins earlier so it seemed a no-brainer...

I made the mistake once...and never again!!