North East Buses

Full Version: Bus Related Outings and Reviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06 Jun 2015, 7:20 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]If you see any further E400s (including the one you're on now), could you advise the time of where you've seen it or when it left Durham, so I can see if it's possible to fit it in today?
7535 is the only E400 on the 7 I can confirm and these are the times it will leave Durham:
0852, 1122, 1352, 1622.

The other E400 I saw, this time may be 15 minutes later than what I post:
1037, 1307, 1537.

If you want to know the times from Darlington add 1hr and 15 minutes onto the times above.
Was not impressed with my driver on the X24, was rude and came close to trapping my leg by closing the door too soon.
(06 Jun 2015, 9:00 am)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Was not impressed with my driver on the X24, was rude and came close to trapping my leg by closing the door too soon.

Have a look in the "have you ever" thread, as he was a Belmont driver too. 
Had another great outing today, with a slightly different start than the usual. 

As I had an appointment at the opticians in Shiney Row, I wouldn't be catching my regular runs, and starting my day from there (about 10-15 minutes on the 78 from my local stop). The appointment was at 09:50, which was the exact time my dad and I arrived for. Got all of the contact lens stuff out of the way, before at 10:05, I left the opticians after a pretty quick appointment. As I made my way around the corner, deciding to get the 4 to Washington Galleries, I was annoyed to see a ''Connections4'' Citaro pulling away from the bus stop. After checking the time, 10:07, I looked at the bus stop timings to see the next bus to pass the stop was yet another 4, at 10:17. A wait of 8 minutes ensued, before I saw a ''Connections4'' Citaro come into sight. Another passenger was waiting for this bus; once I'd taken my seat after buying my Get Around day ticket, I noticed only one other passenger was on board when I got on. Seemed like the bus I'd just missed earlier on was carrying a healthy loading, 5366, the bus I'd boarded, was running a couple of minutes early, too. This run didn't pick up many at all on the way to Washington, only ever a maximum of about 10 people on at any one time. As most of you will know, I'm not a fan of the Mercedes Citaros, but I will give credit to those branded for the ''Connections4''; I think, despite being nearly 2 years old now, they're still in fantastic condition. Don't know if I'll be saying that in a couple of years time, but anyway...

As planned, I alighted at The Galleries. There was a ''Red Arrows'' X1 waiting in front of where the 4 came to a stop; so, as I was heading through to Newcastle anyway, I jumped on board it (6051). There weren't as many passengers downstairs as I was expecting there to be, and only a handful upstairs. I sat five rows behind the stairs, and listened to my music. Very few people boarded or alighted as far as Wrekenton, where a few more boarded, but up until Gateshead, we just flew down Old Durham Road. Like most B9TLs, this was a fantastic vehicle that tackled anything that the roads threw at it. I can't understand why some people want them off this route, to assist another, when they're fine on the X1. When I arrived in Eldon Square; the time was creeping past 11:00. citaro5284 messaged me, saying that ''Toon Link'' liveried 5234 would work the 11:15 #32 out of Eldon Square. I waited a while, before I saw the OmniCity on Percy Street. Within moments, it was pulling into the stand in the bus station. I showed the driver my Get Around, before taking my seat at the quadrant at the rear. Not a fan of any OmniCity, to me, they're a bit dodgy. Myself and a couple of other passengers sat waiting for the driver to depart, as he'd arrived nearly 10 minutes before he was scheduled to leave again. Only rode this as far as Blaydon Bus Station; but as there were very few people stopping the bus as it made it's journey, it went over quite quickly. I'm unsure if it was just the fact that the livery was new, but it made for a decent journey nonetheless.

Like I said, I hopped off in Blaydon, only just missing – by seconds – ''Toon Link'' branded B10 on the 11 back to Newcastle, 5148. I would have been following the route I'd just travelled anyway, so I wasn't too fussed after it had left. Waited for about 5 minutes for another to come in, Newcastle-bound; the first of which was ''TEN'' branded 6083 with the 10B. Naturally, I jumped on this. As I walked up the stairs, I didn't expect to see Dan sitting three rows from the front. I sat next to him, and got talking. He said he'd been up early, in order to photograph the newly branded vehicles on the ''Toon Link'', but hadn't been having much luck due to the sun (or something like that!). We alighted at the MetroCentre, where Dan planned to photograph the next ''Toon Link'' OmniCity due to appear; 5234 (which I had just rode as far as Blaydon!) on the 31 to Newcastle. As there was quite a wait from 11:48 to 12:09 (when it was due), we headed up to Gregg's. Dan bought some Ham & Cheese baguette thing, and I just went with a bottle of water. Walked down into the interchange again, then outside for some photos. Took photographs of any buses that appeared, well, Dan did. I just watched with amusement as he ran like an athlete to get photographs of a ''Red Kite'' Streetlite and B9 together, then again for every possible angle of 5234, when it did appear. I did take a few photos myself, though.

Now that Dan had his photograph of 5234, we walked back into the bus station, and boarded an ''X66'' Streetlite back to Gateshead. It was 5394; looking back through my records, it's my most travelled on ''X66'' branded Streetlite. We just chatted through this short ride, I think Dan deleted a few of his duplicate photographs. When we got to Gateshead, Dan led me past the South Shields-bound 27 stand for some more photos. I think he was after a shot of a ''MAX'' X12 branded Gemini, but a car ruined it for him. I wasn't paying attention to be honest, but I remember him blaspheming repeatedly about it. I can't help but question; if I wasn't there, would he still be standing there talking to himself??? We'll find out after the break. Back on-topic, we headed along the Newcastle-bound stretch of the interchange, for the first thing to come through to take us back to Newcastle. This turned out to be ''Angel'' branded B7TL Gemini 1 3965; as we boarded, Dan noticed that Lee was sitting upstairs at the front. We sat downstairs, as it was only a short hop, but I conversed with Lee over Facebook Messenger to make up for it... Somebody was too tired to be sociable!! As we pulled into Eldon Square, with our decided next ride, 5401 on the 46 a couple of buses behind us, Lee came down and spoke to us for a moment, before we all disembarked. He then went with Bazza, on an X30 or an X31 up to Stanley, either way it was a Lolyne and they sat at the front upstairs, waving at us as we queued to board 5401. 

We were heading up to Consett anyway, so we could then catch the 15 to Lanchester, followed by recent arrival 6125 on the X30/X31 from there, at 15:00. Another reason that 5401 was key to today, was that somebody needed to see if the Next Stop Announcements were working. citaro5284 asked me a couple of days prior if I could see for him, as he knew I would be out and about; and it was pure coincidence that I would end up with Dan on it (although my only set plan for the day, prior to seeing him, was the get the 13:45 out of Newcastle, which would be 6125, then join him in Lanchester for the return journey). By Central Station, I was pleased to tell citaro5284 that everything was working fine. As we crossed the Redheugh Bridge, a gust of wind blew us into the next lane slightly. Dan then mentioned how double deckers aren't allowed to cross bridges when there are violent winds, and that gave me this strange image of a ''Red Kite'' B9 being blown over the bridge and into the water. So, I asked him what he would do if he was on the bus in that situation. He didn't quite know how to respond, so I asked in more detail, if he thought the bus would just plow into the water and hit the bottom, if the windows would smash and drag the bus down to the depths, or if it would bob like a cork for a bit, before going under. Then, my imagination really got strange; when the double decker, having fallen off the bridge, was lifted up by another gust of wind, then slammed into the next bridge, with a fiery explosion destroying the top deck, before the lower saloon, now roofless, then hit the water and sank. Dan then threatened to get off at the MetroCentre, if I didn't stop asking him what he would do in that situation. Couldn't help but sit there laughing at the ideas going through my head. 5401 had left Newcastle when the next bus was waiting to come into the stand(!), which meant we carried a double load. Most of the passengers left us by the time we'd reached Rowlands Gill, after that the bus never carried more than half a dozen people. Good journey overall, plenty to report on (unlike some journeys!).

After walking out of Consett Bus Station, Dan went into a shop for a drink while I waited outside, after taking some photos. When we re-entered the bus station and sat down, moments later, our 15 came in. It was President 6009 working this run, pulling into the bus station about 8 minutes before being due out again. A quick driver changeover took place, before we waited for our time to depart. This President was actually very impressive on some of the heavy banks that the 15/15A routes face on a daily basis; I'm sure I've had 6009 on the 15 before, and it was decent then as well. However, two charvers sat at the back upstairs (we were at the front) were blasting tunes, varying in taste, which grew to become very irritating after about 10 minutes!! Before long, we arrived in Lanchester, and took advantage of somebody boarding and thus being able to take a photograph as a result. Got a good shot of it, but a charver sat a couple of seats behind Dan and I stuck his finger up at us...

Dan surveyed the timetables; the X30 was due to depart Lanchester for Newcastle at 15:00, but arrive at 14:52. The time by this point was 14:35, so we headed to Coopland's (which I'm sure we did the last time we were in Lanchester together!) for something to eat. I just went with the traditional Corned Beef Pasty, while Dan went for 5 stick things, I think they were supposed to taste cheesy or sconey but when he offered me half of one to see what I made of it, it was absolutely tasteless. We had a sit down in the sun, but it kept going in and out. This worried Dan, as it could have an effect on his photograph of 6125 coming in. I walked to see if it was in sight, and as I walked back, a man in a running suit got my attention. He asked if I knew of any phone boxes nearby; as he'd been out for a run and pushed himself a bit too far, in need of a lift home. I said I didn't, but offered him my phone to make a call. He was very appreciative of it, and made a quick call to somebody, before thanking me again, and sitting at a bench outside of the pub where he had agreed to be picked up. In moments after this, 6125 appeared. I didn't bother the risk of taking a photograph, as there was traffic. However, Dan did, and got a nice thumbs up and a smile from the driver. 

He boarded first of all, but I crossed the road to get a shot of the OmniDekka while it was stationary. Then, I walked back over to board, as the driver stood outside on his phone. I showed him my Get Around, and thanked him for the thumbs up, before he laughed and said he felt he had to, as it was still a novelty and always liked to see spotters out and about. Dan had hijacked the front seats on the left hand side, giving me my preferred spot on the right. I browsed the forum while he enjoyed the power of the OmniDekka flying up banks. Literally, it felt like they weren't even there. Definitely one of the best rides of the day, this machine was fantastic. While he would be carrying on to Newcastle, in hopes of photographing the OmniDekka behind it; 6126 – I disembarked in Stanley, to then get a ''Coast & Country'' service back to Chester-le-Street. As 6125 had been so fast, it got me to Stanley with enough time to then get the 15:30 #78 back. This was Streetlite 5408, one of the branded vehicles I'd yet to ride. I sat a row in front of the very back seats, and enjoyed the journey. It was never particularly busy, at any point, roughly a dozen people when we left Stanley and a similar number when we reached Chester-le-Street. I have to say, while I don't mind the 78, out of the two options – I think the 8 route is a lot nicer between Chester-le-Street and Stanley than the 78 is. The 78 goes through some of the roughest areas of Stanley, then contends with Grange Villa, but once you're heading into Pelton, it's fine. Whereas the 8 follows the same route as far as Pelton, then cuts off to go through High Handenhold, followed by Beamish, then a few other areas before more-or-less driving straight into Stanley. The 8 is a lot better than the 78 between the two, but both do go through some beautifully scenic parts of the countryside.

When 5408 came to a halt, I disembarked and made my way to Tesco for some things; before boarding the 16:15 #21 to Durham, which was tachograph fitted 6056. No comments to make really, just the usual short hop. Had a great day out, as usual, it was nice to see Dan again, and also ride an OmniDekka for the first time, which I would recommend. A log of the day;

10:15 #4 – Shiney Row Co-Op to Washington The Galleries Bus Station – GNE 5366
10:33 #X1 – Washington The Galleries Bus Station to Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station – GNE 6051
11:09 #32 – Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station to Blaydon Bus Station – GNE 5234
11:41 #10B – Blaydon Bus Station to MetroCentre Transport Interchange – GNE 6083
12:15 #X66 – MetroCentre Transport Interchange to Gateshead Transport Interchange – GNE 5394
12:35 #21 – Gateshead Transport Interchange to Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station – GNE 3965
12:54 #46 – Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station to Consett Bus Station – GNE 5401
14:09 #15 – Consett Bus Station to Lanchester Village Green – GNE 6009
14:56 #X30 – Lanchester Village Green to Stanley Bus Station – GNE 6125
15:26 #78 – Stanley Bus Station to Chester-le-Street Front Street – GNE 5408
16:12 #21 – Chester-le-Street Front Street to Chester-le-Street Clifford Terrace – GNE 6056

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. Smile

Marcus
Marcus forgets to mention that he went completely physco about these double deckers falling into the Tyne... Yapped on about it for a good 30-40 minutes! Believe it or not, I divvint want to think of what I'd do if it fell off the Redheugh!

If these double deckers don't turn off to go on the Centrelink when it's as windy as today, I am abandoning ship...
As I have been out for nearly 12 hours today and I didn't sleep very well last night instead of doing a Marcus style story review I will just give a more simple log of my journeys today with a few notes.

0805 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham Bus Station (ANE 7535)
0910 X24 Durham Bus Station - MetroCentre Bus Station (ANE 7442)
1018 31 MetroCentre Bus Station - Winlaton Bus Station (GNE 5234)
1054 49B Winlaton Bus Station - Blaydon Bus Station (GNE 5277)
1109 10B Blaydon Bus Station - Newcastle Eldon Square (GNE 6074)
1151 X30 Newcastle, Newgate Street - Stanley Bus Station (GNE 6128)
1257 X31 Stanley Bus Station - Newcastle Eldon Square (GNE 6125)
1430 X20 Newcastle Haymarket - Ashington Bus Station (ANE 7479)
1555 35A Ashington - Morpeth Bus Station (ANE 7518)
1639 X18 Morpeth Bus Station - Newcastle, Haymarket (ANE 7532)
1720 X12 Newcastle Eldon Square - Durham Bus Station (ANE 1441)
1845 7 Durham Bus Station - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 7534)

A few notes:

7442 Hated my ride on this, not a great bus at all and I can't wait to see these go.

6128/6125 Thought these performed quite well although I don't think they were thrashed much on the journeys I did probably because of the wind. Also I only went as far as Stanley today so I could fit both in and I'll be able to ride the Lanchester - Stanley section another day.

7532 Performed extremely well down the A1 to Newcastle despite the wind.
(06 Jun 2015, 8:35 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]As I have been out for nearly 12 hours today and I didn't sleep very well last night instead of doing a Marcus style story review I will just give a more simple log of my journeys today with a few notes.

A few notes:

7442 Hated my ride on this, not a great bus at all and I can't wait to see these go.

6128/6125 Thought these performed quite well although I don't think they were thrashed much on the journeys I did probably because of the wind. Also I only went as far as Stanley today so I could fit both in and I'll be able to ride the Lanchester - Stanley section another day.

7532 Performed extremely well down the A1 to Newcastle despite the wind.

7442 etc must be the most uncomfortable things ever made!! 

7532 is an absolute beast, as are all the new Enviro's to be honest 
(06 Jun 2015, 9:24 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]7442 etc must be the most uncomfortable things ever made!! 

7532 is an absolute beast, as are all the new Enviro's to be honest 

7442 looks to have been given a seat re-trim at some point or it's because it spent ages off the road.

I am quite liking the Enviro's on the 7.
I've not been on one of our new Enviros yet but have had several trips on the ones in Yorkshire and was quite impressed
(06 Jun 2015, 9:30 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]7442 looks to have been given a seat re-trim at some point or it's because it spent ages off the road.

There great!! even though im not that much a fan of E400s these ones are just 10 out of 10 though they'll probably end up like 57 reg batch in a few years! Tongue
I also had a bit of an excursion yesterday. The day started at The Arnison Centre after managing to blag a lift there. My objective of the day was to go for a bit of a mooch around at The Royal Quays. Here's how the day went - stopping at a few places on the way:

#64 - 1322 - Arnison Centre - Durham North Road
#20 - 4989 - Durham Bus Station - Sunderland Park Lane
#20A - 4945? - Sunderland Fawcett Street - South Shields
# Ferry - Spirit of the Tyne - South Shields - North Shields
#333 - 907 - North Shields Ferry - North Shields
#17 - ???? - North Shields - Royal Quays
#17 - 5159 - Royal Quays - Percy Main
#Metro - 4073/4055 - Percy Main - Whitley Bay
#308 - 7803 - Whitley Bay - Blyth
#X10 - 7611 - Blyth - Newcastle Haymarket
#45 - 5415 - Newcastle Eldon Square - Rowlands Gill
(06 Jun 2015, 9:35 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]There great!! even though im not that much a fan of E400s these ones are just 10 out of 10 though they'll probably end up like 57 reg batch in a few years! Tongue
They are fantastic, to be honest I'd say most of 7514 onwards are good. The engines of 7522-8 will never be truly tested, not sure about the ones for the 7 or 24(?)?. 

Something I've always wondered, because of this, are the bodies of 7501-13(excluding 7510) heavier than those afterwards? 

Looking forward to my X18 journey this afternoon Big Grin
(06 Jun 2015, 9:30 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]7442 looks to have been given a seat re-trim at some point or it's because it spent ages off the road.

Always wondered why, even if Arriva didn't want to replace the seats, they couldn't at least have put better cushions on the Urban90's?

I'm loving Enviro's everywhere, far superior to the Gemini's, which I guess is reflected in recent orders.
(07 Jun 2015, 10:51 am)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Always wondered why, even if Arriva didn't want to replace the seats, they couldn't at least have put better cushions on the Urban90's?

I'm loving Enviro's everywhere, far superior to the Gemini's, which I guess is reflected in recent orders.

Probably spent so much money on just keeping them sheds on the road. Once had 7444 on service X61 Newton Aycliffe - Scarborough for over two and a half hours and I can't tell you how much pain I was in by the time I arrived, got the backseat on the return.

Goes to show how untrusting Durham have been with the Lowlander's in recent years as in 2011 Volvo Olympian / Northern Counties Palatine bodied 7367 ended up being the regular bus for the 2011 season of the X61 Durham - Scarborough with 7441 being used when it was unable to do the X61. Loved 7367, was sad to see it go.

Much prefer the Enviro 400s to the Gemini's Arriva have, even some of the older E400s have performed better than the Gemini's.
(06 Jun 2015, 9:35 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote [ -> ]There great!! even though im not that much a fan of E400s these ones are just 10 out of 10 though they'll probably end up like 57 reg batch in a few years! Tongue

Don't get me started on those miseries.  Wink Tongue
(07 Jun 2015, 11:03 am)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Probably spent so much money on just keeping them sheds on the road. Once had 7444 on service X61 Newton Aycliffe - Scarborough for over two and a half hours and I can't tell you how much pain I was in by the time I arrived, got the backseat on the return.

Goes to show how untrusting Durham have been with the Lowlander's in recent years as in 2011 Volvo Olympian / Northern Counties Palatine bodied 7367 ended up being the regular bus for the 2011 season of the X61 Durham - Scarborough with 7441 being used when it was unable to do the X61. Loved 7367, was sad to see it go.

Much prefer the Enviro 400s to the Gemini's Arriva have, even some of the older E400s have performed better than the Gemini's.

They were shocking like, love how I'm talking about them in past tense, and they're not gone yet! 

Olympians are beasts though, there will never be another bus as good as them, remember before 7410/2/3 left Ashington, I had a ride on 7413, it performed amazingly well for a bus of 15/16 years old, and while on 7410 a few weeks before it overtook everything on the A1, cars and a brand new Gemini on one of Blyth's express routes.

Even 7501-6, as much as I don't like them, are better than most of the Gemini's I've been on
(07 Jun 2015, 11:03 am)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]Don't get me started on those miseries.  Wink Tongue

Nowhere near as bad as the majority of Blyth's Geminis! 
(07 Jun 2015, 12:34 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Nowhere near as bad as the majority of Blyth's Geminis! 

Belmont, for a time, struggled to keep theirs on the road too. Not sure whether it's down to the way they're looked after or the quality of the product though?
Going back a couple of posts in this conversation, I remember in early 2013, when I was starting to go to places like Durham, Newcastle and Sunderland by myself - I decided to make my first journey on an Arriva bus, an X2 to Durham.

This was a red double decker, looked extremely old when an ''Angel'' B5 drove past it at the bottom of Chester-le-Street. I've searched Flickr, and come to the conclusion that it was numbered 7260. All I remember from that journey was that it was an absolute beast, and flew up Chester-le-Street Front Street (the uphill climb from the bottom to the middle). I have to say I'm sad I only got to ride it for about 15-20 minutes. It had some sort of red seating, quite comfortable if my memory is correct. Nobody else was upstairs, so I had the front seats and the entire upper deck to myself. That was a great ride.

I think that red double decker was a Scania of some sort, I'm sure it had to be an Olympian.
(07 Jun 2015, 12:49 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Going back a couple of posts in this conversation, I remember in early 2013, when I was starting to go to places like Durham, Newcastle and Sunderland by myself - I decided to make my first journey on an Arriva bus, an X2 to Durham.

This was a red double decker, looked extremely old when an ''Angel'' B5 drove past it at the bottom of Chester-le-Street. I've searched Flickr, and come to the conclusion that it was numbered 7260. All I remember from that journey was that it was an absolute beast, and flew up Chester-le-Street Front Street (the uphill climb from the bottom to the middle). I have to say I'm sad I only got to ride it for about 15-20 minutes. It had some sort of red seating, quite comfortable if my memory is correct. Nobody else was upstairs, so I had the front seats and the entire upper deck to myself. That was a great ride.

I think that red double decker was a Scania of some sort, I'm sure it had to be an Olympian.

Would of been a Scania aye, they were beasts as well. There was the East Lancs body they had, that the M-HPF Olympians from London also had, as well as an East Lancs Cityzen body that the N-OTY Scanias at Blyth had. If I recall correctly, the N reg Blyth Scanias were withdrawn well before the M-FTY Olympians at Alnwick, Ashington and Jesmond.

(07 Jun 2015, 12:40 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Belmont, for a time, struggled to keep theirs on the road too. Not sure whether it's down to the way they're looked after or the quality of the product though?

Combination of both perhaps?