North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wonder what the feasibility would be for Arriva to serve Durham Rail station? I'm thinking of the 64 in particular, but it may be feasible to run the 56 up there on the inward journey to Durham Bus station too. It'd certainly be helpful for those using Plusbus tickets.
(31 Aug 2014, 1:01 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I wonder what the feasibility would be for Arriva to serve Durham Rail station? I'm thinking of the 64 in particular, but it may be feasible to run the 56 up there on the inward journey to Durham Bus station too. It'd certainly be helpful for those using Plusbus tickets.

They used to serve the station as the terminus of the 6 prior to the original Bishop Auckland network recast about 2008.
(31 Aug 2014, 12:21 pm)Philly rf wrote [ -> ]I think that the mini x14 should stop and that arriva just have 4 deckers and keep minibuses used on the current service for the 57/33

That wouldn't work - would wreck the 15 minute frequency along the Newcastle-Morpeth corridor.
Ahh right just then that will mean if the x14 runs to thropton from newcastle and not change from x14 to 57a it might be on time at morpeth not 15 minutes late
(31 Aug 2014, 1:45 pm)Philly rf wrote [ -> ]Ahh right just then that will mean if the x14 runs to thropton from newcastle and not change from x14 to 57a it might be on time at morpeth not 15 minutes late

And there is demand for a half hourly service beyond Morpeth?
(31 Aug 2014, 1:01 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I wonder what the feasibility would be for Arriva to serve Durham Rail station? I'm thinking of the 64 in particular, but it may be feasible to run the 56 up there on the inward journey to Durham Bus station too. It'd certainly be helpful for those using Plusbus tickets.

I am surprised none of the P&R buses do to be honest.
If they were to set aside a section of each P&R for long term parking, it could solve some of the parking issues at the station at the same time.

The Cathedral Bus serves some purpose, but isn't too handy if travelling into Durham from the outlying areas.

Problem with sending the 64 up there would be it would add extra running time and some people would not want to use the 64 as it will take longer than other services so they'd use other services like the 21.

You could perhaps send some services that currently terminate at the Bus Station like the 6 and 7, but did anyone go up to the rail station when service 6 used to go up there.
(31 Aug 2014, 3:05 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Problem with sending the 64 up there would be it would add extra running time and some people would not want to use the 64 as it will take longer than other services so they'd use other services like the 21.

You could perhaps send some services that currently terminate at the Bus Station like the 6 and 7, but did anyone go up to the rail station when service 6 used to go up there.

I reckon you could get up and round in under 2 minutes, as there's no traffic to combat. I don't think it'd be too much of an issue. The 21 is faster than the 64 anyway, so you'd expect people to be using that already if that's the way they wanted to go.
(31 Aug 2014, 3:06 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I reckon you could get up and round in under 2 minutes, as there's no traffic to combat. I don't think it'd be too much of an issue. The 21 is faster than the 64 anyway, so you'd expect people to be using that already if that's the way they wanted to go.

Even a slightly longer journey time can make people want to use a different service, like some people won't use service 5/5A between Darlington and Newton Aycliffe Town Centre which takes 4 minutes longer than service 7 even though waiting the extra few minutes for service 7 will get them there even later.
(31 Aug 2014, 3:15 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Even a slightly longer journey time can make people want to use a different service, like some people won't use service 5/5A between Darlington and Newton Aycliffe Town Centre which takes 4 minutes longer than service 7 even though waiting the extra few minutes for service 7 will get them there even later.

I think it can also increase at the same time though. I remember when I lived on the 50's route, they diverted it through Lambton and Ayton instead of Galleries direct to Chester le Street. Same passengers, but extra when it reached the two new stopping points. It didn't really add any time on to the journey itself, as it just ate into the sitting time it had at Chester le Street.
- Service 306 would operate every 15 minutes Monday to Saturday and every 30 minutes evenings and Sundays between Tynemouth and Newcastle. Would no longer interwork with the X9.

- Service 308 would continue the same as now but with minor timetable changes to improve reliability.

- NEW service X38 would be introduced replacing the 306 from Whitley Bay and Marden and providing new and faster links. Buses would operate every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime via the current 306 route to Hartburn Road from Whitley Bay then up to Rake Lane and from there, following the 308 route to Billy Mill before running limited stop to St Mary's Place and Haymarket only calling at Willington Square. The PVR would be 3 and X9 journeys would interwork of this service according to the direction.

[attachment=5882]
(07 Sep 2014, 4:21 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]- NEW service X38 would be introduced replacing the 306 from Whitley Bay and Marden and providing new and faster links. Buses would operate every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime via the current 306 route to Hartburn Road from Whitley Bay then up to Rake Lane and from there, following the 308 route to Billy Mill before running limited stop to St Mary's Place and Haymarket only calling at Willington Square. The PVR would be 3 and X9 journeys would interwork of this service according to the direction.

Is this not roughly the old 44....which they got rid of because it was not making money?
(07 Sep 2014, 4:37 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Is this not roughly the old 44....which they got rid of because it was not making money?

Basically, the reason the 44 wasn't making money was because it was serving New York and Norham Road. However, this service would combine the best elements of the 44 whilst serving key stops along some of the 306 route and 308 route whilst making money. It would also relieve the pressure on the 308 and improve timekeeping on both the 306 / 308.
To follow up on this post from the 'Latest' thread:

(07 Sep 2014, 11:06 am)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Oh yeah, nearly all I see are busy however a couple I've seen have been pretty empty for the duration (however I've only seen this on the 2)
Instead of replacing the 20 I would suggest extending that to Alnwick , as the 420 used to, this would hopefully relieve the X15/X18 also and keeping the 1 as it is, after all extending it back to Amble (as I believe it used to) could only hinder reliability?

I have looked at theoretically extending the 20 to Alnwick. In short, to allow that, you will also notice the X20 frequency increase to every 30 minutes.

[attachment=5884]

The service would require 6 buses - one of which, to save on light mileage, would more than likely join the X15 and X18 at the outstation at Rothbury Motors' Alnwick depot.
(07 Sep 2014, 5:19 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]To follow up on this post from the 'Latest' thread:

I have looked at theoretically extending the 20 to Alnwick. In short, to allow that, you will also notice the X20 frequency increase to every 30 minutes.

The service would require 6 buses - one of which, to save on light mileage, would more than likely join the X15 and X18 at the outstation at Rothbury Motors' Alnwick depot.

Very good. I would add to that and suggest that every hour, the X21 arrives 5 mins before the X20 towards Newcastle and 5 mins after the X20 towards Newbigggin with through fares available. It would allow passengers from Newbiggin a faster journey time to and from Newcastle.
(07 Sep 2014, 5:19 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]To follow up on this post from the 'Latest' thread:

Thank you for spending the time to create a timetable! Big Grin
As you've increased the frequency of the X20 as well it looks like it would benefit everyone hugely. It looks like it has the same, if not a quicker, journey time from Newcastle to Alnwick as the X18 again giving more options Wink
(07 Sep 2014, 5:42 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Thank you for spending the time to create a timetable! Big Grin
As you've increased the frequency of the X20 as well it looks like it would benefit everyone hugely. It looks like it has the same, if not a quicker, journey time from Newcastle to Alnwick as the X18 again giving more options Wink

Maybe the X16 could be scrapped then if that was to happen.
My other suggestions plus the 20/X20 would work very well. Possibly a service from Morpeth-Widdrington Estate interworking with the 33 too.
(07 Sep 2014, 6:00 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Maybe the X16 could be scrapped then if that was to happen.
My other suggestions plus the 20/X20 would work very well. Possibly a service from Morpeth-Widdrington Estate interworking with the 33 too.

If anything, any new service from Morpeth would interwork with the short X14 as part of the MAX branding.
(07 Sep 2014, 6:03 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]If anything, any new service from Morpeth would interwork with the short X14 as part of the MAX branding.

Or it could be a service directly from Newcastle to Widdrington Estate?

So:

1: Amble-Blyth
2: Morpeth Kirkhill-Blyth
14: Morpeth-Thropton
X14: Newcastle-Morpeth
X15 Newcastle-Berwick (via A1)
X16: Newcastle-Widdrington Est
X18: Newcastle-Berwick (via the coast)
(07 Sep 2014, 6:06 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Or it could be a service directly from Newcastle to Widdrington Estate?

So:

1: Amble-Blyth
2: Morpeth Kirkhill-Blyth
X14: Newcastle-Morpeth
X16: Newcastle-Widdrington Est

More than likely:

1: Blyth-Wansbeck Hospital or Widdrington Estate
2: Morpeth Kirkhall-Blyth
33: Morpeth Town Service
57: North Seaton-Whitley Bay (Cramlington-North Shields eve/Sun)
57A: Morpeth-Whitley Bay
X14: Newcastle-Morepth
X16: Newcastle-Belford (Summer only)
X17: Newcastle-Widdrington Est