North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(30 Jan 2015, 4:05 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]It will be re-registered in three separate parts. It allows the drivers to work on a more relaxed 5.5 hour spread, allowing for more flexibility during disruption.

So it will be like Stagecoach's 685 then. So I'm guessing it will be split at Guisborough and Whitby then.

Hope day-trippers don't find this confusing.
(30 Jan 2015, 4:13 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]So it will be like Stagecoach's 685 then. So I'm guessing it will be split at Guisborough and Whitby then.

Hope day-trippers don't find this confusing.

It'll probably be set up in such a way that isn't confusing.

For example:
X93 Guisborough for Whitby and Scarborough
X93 Whitby for Scarborough
X93 Scarborough via x, y, z.

Of course, the route branding on the Volvo B9TLs (should) help, too.
(30 Jan 2015, 4:22 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]It'll probably be set up in such a way that isn't confusing.

For example:
X93 Guisborough for Whitby and Scarborough
X93 Whitby for Scarborough
X93 Scarborough via x, y, z.

Of course, the route branding on the Volvo B9TLs (should) help, too.

Likely but Arriva's new annoying style for screens with through services such as the 21/X21 and X12/X2 looks awful as it says for (destination) then shows via points which annoys me.
(30 Jan 2015, 4:24 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Likely but Arriva's new annoying style for screens with through services such as the 21/X21 and X12/X2 looks awful as it says for (destination) then shows via points which annoys me.

I'd like to see us use "then" rather than "for" - I think this would work well on the X93 where there are very few notable via points...
(30 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]I'd like to see us use "then" rather than "for" - I think this would work well on the X93 where there are very few notable via points...

I think "then" sounds better as some people may see "for" and think that the destination at the top of the screen is the terminus and they have to get off there and get another bus.
Or, rather than 'for' or 'then', they fit the tachos and (however daft the rules may be), follow the EU legislation - rather than look for loopholes.

No confusion for passengers. Jobs a good un.

I appreciate why operators look for these loopholes, after all it gives them flexibility and saves money - but it won't be long before the beaurocrats in Brussells catch on to it and outlaw it.
(30 Jan 2015, 4:30 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I think "then" sounds better as some people may see "for" and think that the destination at the top of the screen is the terminus and they have to get off there and get another bus.

I think the issue with "then" would be that it could lead to the assumption that the service will be direct from Point A to Point B and Point C. Although the X93 is limited stop, it does serve a number of locations in between.
(30 Jan 2015, 4:37 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Or, rather than 'for' or 'then', they fit the tachos and (however daft the rules may be), follow the EU legislation - rather than look for loopholes.

No confusion for passengers. Jobs a good un.

I appreciate why operators look for these loopholes, after all it gives them flexibility and saves money - but it won't be long before the beaurocrats in Brussells catch on to it and outlaw it.

You mean the loopholes that have been used for 6 or 7 years and haven't been outlawed yet Wink 

The issues is - X93 arrives in Scarborough an hour and a half late at present with a tachograph, it means the driver will have to taken his or her 35 minutes legal break there as European Driving Hours are upto 4 hours 30 minutes before the meal break must be taken, meaning given the shift pattern he or she would have to take their break there and then. That also then screws up their second half as well.

Under domestic driving hours, the bus could set off straight back as the driver is only 2 hours 32 minutes into his legal 5 hours 30 minutes.

It also helps with covering runs - as a spare Stockton driver could theoretically be able to cover an X93 between Middlesbrough and Whitby using a Stockton vehicle if the need really did arise.
(30 Jan 2015, 3:19 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Having ridden the new B9TL's on the X93 on Monday they could maybe get up Sutton Bank although you do have to account for the traffic following the bus up there.

Problem is though is where would Arriva get some B9TL's from for this service  suggestion as sorry for sounding all DaveyBowyer but I think B9TL's may be the only low floor bus that could maybe handle Sutton Bank and if you can't get any it's not worth sending a bus up there as pretty much everything else would probably struggle.
I
With a bit of TLC, 7453 - 7456 could just about handle Sutton Bank. Will they be bringing Pulsar Gemini's down from Blyth as summer extras?
(30 Jan 2015, 6:09 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]You mean the loopholes that have been used for 6 or 7 years and haven't been outlawed yet Wink 

The issues is - X93 arrives in Scarborough an hour and a half late at present with a tachograph, it means the driver will have to taken his or her 35 minutes legal break there as European Driving Hours are upto 4 hours 30 minutes before the meal break must be taken, meaning given the shift pattern he or she would have to take their break there and then. That also then screws up their second half as well.

Under domestic driving hours, the bus could set off straight back as the driver is only 2 hours 32 minutes into his legal 5 hours 30 minutes.

It also helps with covering runs - as a spare Stockton driver could theoretically be able to cover an X93 between Middlesbrough and Whitby using a Stockton vehicle if the need really did arise.

I agree - certainly not all about saving money... Removing the need for tachographs on service X93 could improve reliability of the service (on paper at least!)
(30 Jan 2015, 6:11 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]I
With a bit of TLC, 7453 - 7456 could just about handle Sutton Bank. Will they be bringing Pulsar Gemini's down from Blyth as summer extras?

So far, it seems the summer extras will be at least 3 of 7618-20/6/7 from Durham whille the University holidays are on.
(30 Jan 2015, 6:36 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]So far, it seems the summer extras will be at least 3 of 7618-20/6/7 from Durham whille the University holidays are on.

Don't think anything has been decided for certain yet but if so I'd think it will only be 2 deckers transferring, not "at least 3"
Or, with the X93 being a longer route, Durham swap Blyth with 2 Max Gemini's then they go in the X93.
I don't think Buses, Coaches, HGVs and Caravans are actually allowed to use Sutton Bank because of it being maximum gradient of 1 in 4 (25%) (my great copying and pasting skills)  Smile
(30 Jan 2015, 6:49 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Or, with the X93 being a longer route, Durham swap Blyth with 2 Max Gemini's then they go in the X93.

7618-20/6/7 will be MAX by the summer so what is the point? The X12/X2 will be quieter outside of the University term time.
(30 Jan 2015, 6:11 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]I
Would agree about 7453-6, they would handle the route far better Gemini's, and I'm pretty sure they have a higher capacity as well?
ARRIVA Route 1:
Changes Summary: All journeys Mon-Sat terminate at Wansbeck Hospital. See next page for alternative plan.
Monday-Saturday Daytimes: PVR 3

Blyth Bus Station... 00..20..40
North Farm............ 04..24..44
Cowpen Shops...... 08..28..48
Bebside ASDA...... 13..33..53
B'lington Stn Cafe.. 19..39..59
S'ford Half Moon.... 25..45..05
N Seaton Elephant 28..48..08
Ashington Bus Stn. 34..54..14
Wansbeck Hospital 38..58..18

Wansbeck Hospital 40..00..20
Ashington Bus Stn. 44..04..24
N Seaton Elephant 50..10..30
S'ford Half Moon.... 53..13..33
B'lington Stn Cafe.. 59..19..39
Bebside ASDA....... 05..25..45
Cowpen Shops....... 10..30..50
North Farm............. 14..34..54
Blyth Bus Station.... 18..38..58

Sunday: PVR 1

Blyth Bus Station... 00
North Farm............ 03
Cowpen Shops...... 07
Bebside ASDA...... 11
B'lington Stn Cafe.. 14
S'ford Half Moon.... 20
N Seaton Elephant 23
Ashington Bus Stn. 27

Ashington Bus Stn. 30
N Seaton Elephant 34
S'ford Half Moon.... 37
B'lington Stn Cafe.. 43
Bebside ASDA....... 46
Cowpen Shops....... 50
North Farm............. 54
Blyth Bus Station.... 57
(30 Jan 2015, 7:37 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]ARRIVA Route 1:
Changes Summary: All journeys Mon-Sat terminate at Wansbeck Hospital.
Monday-Saturday Daytimes: PVR 3
I'd suggest increasing the frequency Monday to Saturday, every time I've seen one it's been busy. 
Last night I saw a Quorum Commander on there, and there was a fair load.

I think both the 1 and 2 should run every 15 minutes Monday to Saturday, or use larger vehicles.
Edit: Trimmed the quote, as it's pretty big.
(30 Jan 2015, 7:45 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]I'd suggest increasing the frequency Monday to Saturday, every time I've seen one it's been busy. 
Last night I saw a Quorum Commander on there, and there was a fair load.

I think both the 1 and 2 should run every 15 minutes Monday to Saturday, or use larger vehicles.
Edit: Trimmed the quote, as it's pretty big.

I'll get a plan together for the updated frequencies. Smile
ARRIVA Route 1:
Changes Summary: All journeys Mon-Sat terminate at Wansbeck Hospital. Updated 15 minute frequency, 12 minutes layover at Blyth.
Monday-Saturday Daytimes: PVR 4

Blyth Bus Station... 00..15..30..45
North Farm............ 04..19..34..49
Cowpen Shops...... 08..23..38..53
Bebside ASDA...... 13..28..43..58
B'lington Stn Cafe.. 19..34..49..04
S'ford Half Moon.... 25..40..55..10
N Seaton Elephant 28..43..58..13
Ashington Bus Stn. 34..49..04..19
Wansbeck Hospital 38..53..08..23

Wansbeck Hospital 40..55..10..25
Ashington Bus Stn. 44..59..14..29