North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I sincerely hope that Arriva consider a supplementary express service to the 308 (like Pronto / Angel) by September because roadworks will be happening from July for 9 months at the Norham Rd junction. Term time and rush hour will be bad but it will bring havoc nearer Chrstmas with all the traffic from the likes of Tesco for Christmas shopping. Be assured however that in great Blyth depot spirit, the comfort of the delays will well and truly be MAXimised.
Here's my suggestion: https://tommystransportsite.files.wordpr...-2015.xlsx

If link doesn't work go to https://tommystransportsite.wordpress.com find post titled "Password Protected:." and enter password "Timetable142"
So here's my suggestions... again.

Ashington Depot

34: Scrapped or contract returned to council, this service is not as busy as predicted as passenger levels are very low.

35/35A: Combined frequency upgraded to every 10 minutes. Meaning that the 35 runs every 20, and the 35A runs every 20 minutes too.

X21: Morning journeys and evening journeys that start and end at Ashington bus station, start at High Market instead. 

X22: All journeys to stop serving High Market but follows 35 route from the old police station to the bus station. This allows for one vehicle to be used elsewhere.

X20: Revised to run at 30 past each hour from Ashington to Newcastle, to give passengers a choice between the X22 and X20.

Blyth Depot

S1: If the Cowpen station reopens, the S1 will provide links from Blyth Bus Station and Town Centre to the Cowpen Railway Station.

1/X1: New trial service X1 launched, providing journey times of 15-20 minutes from Ashington to Blyth, peak times only.
The X18.

Between Alnmouth and Lesbury/Longhoughton, it goes via Alnwick in both directions - meaning a trip of just a few mile, takes approx 40mins.

To improve connections for these villages, would it make sense to call via Alnmouth and/or the station in both directions, prior to Alnwick, rather than after when travelling south and prior when going north?
(10 Mar 2015, 12:12 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]The X18.

Between Alnmouth and Lesbury/Longhoughton, it goes via Alnwick in both directions - meaning a trip of just a few mile, takes approx 40mins.

To improve connections for these villages, would it make sense to call via Alnmouth and/or the station in both directions, prior to Alnwick, rather than after when travelling south and prior when going north?

It does that to link Alnwick with the Alnmouth (for Alnwick) station.
(10 Mar 2015, 1:56 pm)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]It does that to link Alnwick with the Alnmouth (for Alnwick) station.

Not sure what you mean?

Get the whole 'Alnmouth for Alnwick' thing, but can't work out why it only calls at the station (or Alnmouth) southbound, after Alnwick.

If you're in Longhoughton (or anywhere north of there) and are looking to catch a train, then unless you fancy a walk from Lesbury, it means sitting on the bus for 40mins.
(10 Mar 2015, 2:21 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Not sure what you mean?

Get the whole 'Alnmouth for Alnwick' thing, but can't work out why it only calls at the station (or Alnmouth) southbound, after Alnwick.

If you're in Longhoughton (or anywhere north of there) and are looking to catch a train, then unless you fancy a walk from Lesbury, it means sitting on the bus for 40mins.

This is getting too confusing for me.  Rolleyes
(10 Mar 2015, 12:12 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]The X18.

Going into Hipsburn to stop at the station would probably add a few minutes in each direction. Going down to Alnmouth would add 7 or 8 minutes in each direction I would have thought, and there isn't space in the timetable to do that without missing something else out such as North Sunderland or Belford. It is only just over half a mile from Lesbury to Alnmouth Station anyway... 
(10 Mar 2015, 7:32 pm)passenger_10 wrote [ -> ]Going into Hipsburn to stop at the station would probably add a few minutes in each direction. Going down to Alnmouth would add 7 or 8 minutes in each direction I would have thought, and there isn't space in the timetable to do that without missing something else out such as North Sunderland or Belford. It is only just over half a mile from Lesbury to Alnmouth Station anyway... 

That's what I was getting at. Not far at all, yet for the sake of a few mins, anyone unable to make that short journey by foot (in either direction), needs to go sit on the bus for 40mins.

Appreciate going into Alnmouth may not be feasible, but looking at the timetable, calling at the station may be.

Does anyone know when the summer timetable is introduced?
(30 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]I'd like to see us use "then" rather than "for" - I think this would work well on the X93 where there are very few notable via points...

I know I'm bringing back an old topic, but Arriva could use "Onwards to...", rather than "for" or "then"? It's different to what's traditionally used, but it makes sense. I'm not sure the current way of displaying the destination on the X93 will be able to be used without scrolling or coming across as two messages, especially with something like "Whitby for Guisborough and Middlesbrough".

Photo by Andrew Stopford
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thespian/14...80/in/pool-
(11 Mar 2015, 8:17 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]That's what I was getting at. Not far at all, yet for the sake of a few mins, anyone unable to make that short journey by foot (in either direction), needs to go sit on the bus for 40mins.

Appreciate going into Alnmouth may not be feasible, but looking at the timetable, calling at the station may be.

Does anyone know when the summer timetable is introduced?

When Arriva announced their changes for Northumberland which are happening later in March on their website at the bottom of that page they also said the new X18 summer timetable starts from May 24th. 

I agree that stopping at Alnmouth Station would make sense, it may encourage tourists to get the train to Alnmouth than a bus to their hotel on the coast. I can imagine some confused faces at the station bus stops though with the current situation of buses having the number and destination either side of stopping at Alnwick, how does a passenger tell whether a bus is going to or coming from Alnwick?
(11 Mar 2015, 10:19 pm)passenger_10 wrote [ -> ]When Arriva announced their changes for Northumberland which are happening later in March on their website at the bottom of that page they also said the new X18 summer timetable starts from May 24th. 

I agree that stopping at Alnmouth Station would make sense, it may encourage tourists to get the train to Alnmouth than a bus to their hotel on the coast. I can imagine some confused faces at the station bus stops though with the current situation of buses having the number and destination either side of stopping at Alnwick, how does a passenger tell whether a bus is going to or coming from Alnwick?

Cheers.
Was hoping the summer runs started slightly earlier than that.

As for the other bit, not sure - a stop on the other side of the road may work?
(12 Mar 2015, 9:28 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Cheers.
Was hoping the summer runs started slightly earlier than that.

As for the other bit, not sure - a stop on the other side of the road may work?

Already is.

Station, up ramp, turn left stay on left side of road: Alnwick, Alnmouth and Berwick
Station, up ramp, cross road: Warkworth, Morpeth and Newcastle
(11 Mar 2015, 10:27 am)BJ10VUS wrote [ -> ]I know I'm bringing back an old topic, but Arriva could use "Onwards to...", rather than "for" or "then"? It's different to what's traditionally used, but it makes sense. I'm not sure the current way of displaying the destination on the X93 will be able to be used without scrolling or coming across as two messages, especially with something like "Whitby for Guisborough and Middlesbrough".

Photo by Andrew Stopford
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thespian/14...80/in/pool-

Surely there are reasons why long routes like the X93 were required to be tachographed, and you'd think with all the splitting of routes which goes on these days, sooner or later VOSA or whoever will clamp down on this loophole?

If you can just operate a route of any length by just saying 'Via X and Y for Z' then why would any operator bother with tachos?
(12 Mar 2015, 1:18 pm)tvd wrote [ -> ]Surely there are reasons why long routes like the X93 were required to be tachographed, and you'd think with all the splitting of routes which goes on these days, sooner or later VOSA or whoever will clamp down on this loophole?

If you can just operate a route of any length by just saying 'Via X and Y for Z' then why would any operator bother with tachos?

A legally cleared loophole - the EU brought in the 50km (30-ish miles) regulation for Coach work across the EU but it also effected Bus Services here in the UK by effectively an accident. As such, the DfT put legal guidance out for operators to get round the accidental restriction by splitting a long route into 2 or 3 secitions - moving drivers off the EU hours (4hr 30mins maximum driving time before a meal break plus more complexed rest day guidelines etc) onto domestic hours which can improve situation such as delays on X93 to the point where drivers won't be going over their hours if delays occur.
(12 Mar 2015, 9:52 am)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]Already is.

Station, up ramp, turn left stay on left side of road: Alnwick, Alnmouth and Berwick
Station, up ramp, cross road: Warkworth, Morpeth and Newcastle

Forgot about the other stop.

Dunno. You could have the to Longhoughton, Seahouses & Berwick AND to Alnwick and back to Alnmouth (cont to Berwick) at the same stops.
With the to Warkworth, Morpeth & Newcastle AND to Alnwick and back to Alnmouth (cont to Newcastle) on the other side of the road.

Surely it isn't beyond the beast of man to come up with something.

To make things easier. Separate the two sections into two services. X18 Newcastle to Alnwick. X17 Alnwick to Berwick. Makes the stopping arrangements a bit easier too.

If not, maybe Spirit buses could extend some of their peak time runs to the station, just that little bit further. The 15 could fill the void to cover that few miles gap.
Demand isn't going to be massive, but there must be enough demand to justify a more direct link than exists currently.
Could they introduce a kind of Town Service that Arriva used to operate (don't know if they or another operator still do?) something like this maybe:

Longhouton, Lesbury, Alnmouth Station, Alnmouth, Alnmouth Station, Alnwick, Lesbury, Longhouton? 

It would then continue to do that in a kind of loop.
Maybe a one hour frequency, timed to provide a 30 minute frequency when combined with the X18?

Edit: There could be another vehicle doing the loop in the other direction as well
(13 Mar 2015, 4:28 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Could they introduce a kind of Town Service that Arriva used to operate (don't know if they or another operator still do?) something like this maybe:

Longhouton, Lesbury, Alnmouth Station, Alnmouth, Alnmouth Station, Alnwick, Lesbury, Longhouton? 

It would then continue to do that in a kind of loop.
Maybe a one hour frequency, timed to provide a 30 minute frequency when combined with the X18?

Edit: There could be another vehicle doing the loop in the other direction as well

Possibly, but not sure there would be enough demand out of peaks or the summer, have such a frequent service.
It can be like a ghost town up there at times.

Definitely scope to improve services/connections beyond what is there at the moment.
Right folks, after the discussion between some of yous on the main forum for Arriva, I've decided to come up with this. Now I know that I've suggested something very similar to this before but, the benefits are massive. Please see the attached partial timetable with the times, frequencies and stands but I'll outline the routes for you all with no evening or Sunday variations at all:

- X31 from Seacrest Rd to Newcastle via Nth Seaton NSC / Fairfield Dr, Ashington Bus Stn, Nth Seaton Elephant, Stakeford Half Moon, Bedlington Stn, Bedlington Front St Red Lion, Bedlington Hartlands, A192, A1068 then limited stop via A1, Brunton Park, Polwarth Drive, Regent Centre, Gosforth Brandling Arms and Barras Bridge (to NCL only).

- X32 from Seacrest Rd to Newcastle via Cresswell Arms, Wansbeck Hospital, Ashington Bus Stn, Nth Seaton Elephant, Stakeford Half Moon, Bedlington Stn, Bedlington Front St Red Lion, Bedlington Hartlands, A192, A1068 then limited stop via A1, Brunton Park, Polwarth Drive, Regent Centre, Gosforth Brandling Arms and Barras Bridge (to NCL only).

- X33 from Ashington Bus Station to Newcastle via Ashington Town Centre, Ashington Park, Briardene, Stakeford Ashington Drive, Wansbeck Estate, Guide Post, Choppington, Bedlington Glebe Road Red Lion, Ridge Terrace, Nedderton Village, A192, A1068 then limited stop via A1, Brunton Park, Polwarth Drive, Regent Centre, Gosforth Brandling Arms and Barras Bridge (to NCL only).

- 35 increased to every 30 minutes during the evenings and on Sundays.

Now for Monday to Saturday daytime, the PVR would be 16 and it would work like this:
- X33 Ashington to Newcastle (1hr journey followed by 15 minute layover).
- X31 Newcastle to Newbiggin (1hr 11m journey followed by 15 minute layover).
- X31 Newbiggin to Newcastle (1hr 12m journey followed by 7 minute layover).
- X32 Newcastle to Newbiggin (1hr 13m journey followed by 11 minute layover).
- X32 Newbiggin to Newcastle (1hr 14m journey followed by 7 minute layover).
- X33 Newcastle to Ashington (1hr journey followed by 15 minute minute layover).

Now the Sunday daytime total PVR for the X31 / X32 / X33 and 35 would be 10 and it would work like this with two separate boards:
Board 1 with a PVR of 6:
- X33 Ashington to Newcastle (57m journey followed by 5 minute layover).
- X31 Newcastle to Newbiggin (1hr 10m journey followed by 4 minute layover).
- 35 Newbiggin to Morpeth (38m journey followed by 3 minute layover).
- 35 Morpeth to Newbiggin (37m journey followed by 5 minute layover).
- X31 Newbiggin to Newcastle (1hr 8m journey followed by 5 minute layover).
- X33 Newcastle to Ashington (58m journey followed by 10 minute layover).
Board 2 with a PVR of 4:
- 35 Morpeth to Newbiggin (37m journey followed by 4 minute layover).
- X32 Newbiggin to Newcastle (1hr 9m journey followed by 15 minute layover).
- X32 Newcastle to Newbiggin (1hr 11m journey followed by 3 minute layover).
- 35 Newbiggin to Morpeth (38m journey followed by 3 minute layover).

The main benefits of all of the above would be:
- Very generous layover time allowing services to make up lost time in out of the blue circumstances without having to up the timetable and make most journeys longer.
- Faster journey times from places on the current X21 route between Newbiggin and Bedlington to Newcastle.
- Regular service at all times through North Seaton even during evenings and Sundays.
- 35 increased to every 30 minutes during evenings and Sundays.
- Core up to 15 minute frequency from Newbiggin and between Ashington and Newcastle with another service providing all local links en-route.
- More frequent and even service from Bedlington Front Street Red Lion with 4 buses per hour running up to every 15 minutes.
- Nice, fast and easy to use bus service without having to take a grand de-tour of Nedderton Village (except the X33).
- Despite the X33 taking a longer route than the current X22, the journey time would most likely be the same due to all the delays that the X22 encounters between Glebe Road and Bedlington Front Street and with the 15 minute gap (technically 20) in service causing the current service to get hammered at the Red Lion Stop.
- Journeys towards Ashington between Newcastle and Stakeford (either Ashington Drive or Half Moon) given more time to complete their journey on a Sunday to help with congestion issues in Newcastle City Centre.

Here's a brief timetable (NOT AN OFFICIAL ARRIVA PUBLICATION): [attachment=6528]

Now for branding:
- Arriva could ditch the Sapphire brand and perhaps re-introduce the Northumbria Express 'red meat' brand using the old NMS base livery. The logo could be the old NMS triangle with NORTHUMBRIA written at the top with a white line behind with EXPRESS written at the bottom of the logo with a white line behind express.
- On the front blind of the E400, the logo could be placed both left and right of the blind with NORTHUMBRIA written at the top of the blind and EXPRESS written at the bottom of the blind.
- On the panel below the drivers windscreen, perhaps some famous names to do with the area such as Jackie Millburn, could be applied to the panel.
- On the grey parts of the base coat above the passenger entrance and drivers cab window, the Arriva logo could be applied.
- On the panel covering the stair way on the offside, the Northumbria Express logo could be applied.
- On the panels between the upper and lower saloon on both sides, the route information could be applied like this
* X31 / X32 Newbiggin - Ashington - Stakeford - Bedlington - Newcastle up to every 15 minutes and fast.
then below it...........
* X33 Ashington - Wansbeck Estate - Guide Post - Choppington - Glebe Road - Nedderton - Newcastle up to every 30 minutes.
- On the rear of the E400, the Northumbria Express logo could be applied on the panel between the rear blind and upper saloon window.
- On the engine bay hood, either brief route information or taglines could be inserted.
How many times - that's going BACKWARDS! Arriva are looking forwards not backwards.