North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just come up with an idea. If Arriva are struggling to source extra DECENT deckers for the X20 and have a good few pulsars spare, here's what I suggest they do. Arriva would need 13 MAX spec pulsars in total (4x for the X20 and a further 9x for my suggestion):

- X20 would continue as it is with no board changes.

- Current X30 would be renumbered X89. No other changes would happen to this service.

- Service 35 between Morpeth and Newbiggin would remain the same but with extra running time to improve reliability during Monday to Saturday daytime. Evening and Sunday journeys would continue to interwork with service X21.

- Service 35a would operate hourly Monday to Saturday daytime between Morpeth and Newbiggin Front Street. Buses would then call at the Cresswell Arms with a bit of layover time before changing into service X30 between Newbiggin Cresswell Arms and Newcastle via Woodhorn, Wansbeck Hospital then the same route as the X20 to Newcastle. Through fares would be available to and from Woodhorn anywhere on the 35a route and through fares onto service X30 would be available anywhere between Sandy Bay and Cresswell Arms. More info about the X30 further down. Extra running time would also be given to service 35A to improve reliability.

- Service 35B would operate hourly Monday to Saturday daytime via the current 35A route. Extra running time would also be given to service 35B to improve reliability.

- Services 35/35A/35B would continue to provide a great 15 minute frequency between Morpeth and Newbiggin Front Street. Services 35A (X30 between Cresswell Arms and Woodhorn) and 35B would continue to provide a 30 minute frequency between Morpeth and Woodhorn albeit a slight timing deviation (every 24-36 minutes) between Newbiggin Front Street and Woodhorn.

- NEW service X30 would operate of 1x 35A board per hour from Newbiggin Cresswell Arms to Newcastle via Woodhorn, Wansbeck Hospital and then the same route as the X20 from there to Newcastle via Ashington, North Seaton, Regent Centre and Gosforth High Street. Through fares onto service X30 would be available anywhere between Sandy Bay and Cresswell Arms.

Benefits from Service Changes:

- Improved reliability on services 35, 35A, 35B and due to new service X30 helping out, service X20. Improved layover and running time on services 35, 35A and 35B.

- New fast service from Newbiggin to Newcastle and also a new direct service from Woodhorn to Newcastle.

- Increased frequency between Wansbeck Hospital and Newcastle with services X20 and X30 running every 30 minutes combined.

- All journeys on services 35, 35A, 35B, X20 and X30 would operate using MAX spec single deck Pulsars.

Here is an example board (note that the timings haven't been customised to the X20 but it would work out fine):
- Service 35a from Morpeth to Cresswell Arms (00:00/00:45)
- Service X30 from Cresswell Arms to Newcastle (00:48/01:45)
- Service X30 from Newcastle to Cresswell Arms (01:52/02:49)
- Service 35a from Cresswell Arms to Morpeth (02:52/03:37)
- Service 35 from Morpeth to Seacrest Road (03:45/04:30)
- Service 35 from Seacrest Road to Morpeth (04:37/05:22)
- Service 35b from Morpeth to Woodhorn (05:30/06:15)
- Service 35b from Woodhorn to Morpeth (06:22/07:07)
- Service 35 from Morpeth to Seacrest Road (07:15/08:00)
- Service 35 from Seacrest Road to Morpeth (08:07/08:52)
(23 Aug 2015, 2:12 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]I've just come up with an idea. If Arriva are struggling to source extra DECENT deckers for the X20 and have a good few pulsars spare, here's what I suggest they do. Arriva would need 13 MAX spec pulsars in total (4x for the X20 and a further 9x for my suggestion):

- X20 would continue as it is with no board changes.

- Current X30 would be renumbered X89. No other changes would happen to this service.

- Service 35 between Morpeth and Newbiggin would remain the same but with extra running time to improve reliability during Monday to Saturday daytime. Evening and Sunday journeys would continue to interwork with service X21.

- Service 35a would operate hourly Monday to Saturday daytime between Morpeth and Newbiggin Front Street. Buses would then call at the Cresswell Arms with a bit of layover time before changing into service X30 between Newbiggin Cresswell Arms and Newcastle via Woodhorn, Wansbeck Hospital then the same route as the X20 to Newcastle. Through fares would be available to and from Woodhorn anywhere on the 35a route and through fares onto service X30 would be available anywhere between Sandy Bay and Cresswell Arms. More info about the X30 further down. Extra running time would also be given to service 35A to improve reliability.

- Service 35B would operate hourly Monday to Saturday daytime via the current 35A route. Extra running time would also be given to service 35B to improve reliability.

- Services 35/35A/35B would continue to provide a great 15 minute frequency between Morpeth and Newbiggin Front Street. Services 35A (X30 between Cresswell Arms and Woodhorn) and 35B would continue to provide a 30 minute frequency between Morpeth and Woodhorn albeit a slight timing deviation (every 24-36 minutes) between Newbiggin Front Street and Woodhorn.

- NEW service X30 would operate of 1x 35A board per hour from Newbiggin Cresswell Arms to Newcastle via Woodhorn, Wansbeck Hospital and then the same route as the X20 from there to Newcastle via Ashington, North Seaton, Regent Centre and Gosforth High Street. Through fares onto service X30 would be available anywhere between Sandy Bay and Cresswell Arms.

Benefits from Service Changes:

- Improved reliability on services 35, 35A, 35B and due to new service X30 helping out, service X20. Improved layover and running time on services 35, 35A and 35B.

- New fast service from Newbiggin to Newcastle and also a new direct service from Woodhorn to Newcastle.

- Increased frequency between Wansbeck Hospital and Newcastle with services X20 and X30 running every 30 minutes combined.

- All journeys on services 35, 35A, 35B, X20 and X30 would operate using MAX spec single deck Pulsars.

Here is an example board (note that the timings haven't been customised to the X20 but it would work out fine):
- Service 35a from Morpeth to Cresswell Arms (00:00/00:45)
- Service X30 from Cresswell Arms to Newcastle (00:48/01:45)
- Service X30 from Newcastle to Cresswell Arms (01:52/02:49)
- Service 35a from Cresswell Arms to Morpeth (02:52/03:37)
- Service 35 from Morpeth to Seacrest Road (03:45/04:30)
- Service 35 from Seacrest Road to Morpeth (04:37/05:22)
- Service 35b from Morpeth to Woodhorn (05:30/06:15)
- Service 35b from Woodhorn to Morpeth (06:22/07:07)
- Service 35 from Morpeth to Seacrest Road (07:15/08:00)
- Service 35 from Seacrest Road to Morpeth (08:07/08:52)

Nice to see a change in your ideas, Davey. Although could you explain the logic in renumbering the X30 as the X89? If the X30 is now a new service number, I'd not re-allocate it to an express version of another service.
(23 Aug 2015, 5:43 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]Nice to see a change in your ideas, Davey. Although could you explain the logic in renumbering the X30 as the X89? If the X30 is now a new service number, I'd not re-allocate it to an express version of another service.

I gave the express from Newbiggin to Newcastle an express number to keep it close to the X20. The X89 would make perfect sense from Blyth and Newsham as the Spine Road is called the A189 and the key benefit of the current X30 over the other the X10 / X11 is that it serves the Spine Road rather than Crammy.
(23 Aug 2015, 5:45 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]I gave the express from Newbiggin to Newcastle an express number to keep it close to the X20. The X89 would make perfect sense from Blyth and Newsham as the Spine Road is called the A189 and the key benefit of the current X30 over the other the X10 / X11 is that it serves the Spine Road rather than Crammy.

It would make perfect sense to number a service after the last two digits of the road it takes? In that case let's renumber the 21 as the 67.
(23 Aug 2015, 5:47 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]It would make perfect sense to number a service after the last two digits of the road it takes? In that case let's renumber the 21 as the 67.

The number 94 will run in several areas.
(23 Aug 2015, 5:47 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]It would make perfect sense to number a service after the last two digits of the road it takes? In that case let's renumber the 21 as the 67.

Aye, but giving the Newbiggin to Newcastle express a number that isn't common with the X20 wouldn't do either service any favors. X20 / X30 sounds perfect.

It barely runs along the A189 anyway, once it joins the A189 at Moor Farm it turns off at the next turnoff.
(23 Aug 2015, 5:51 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]It barely runs along the A189 anyway, once it joins the A189 at Moor Farm it turns off at the next turnoff.

That's like the 10/11 they are on the A1300 for one stretch of road.
(23 Aug 2015, 5:47 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]It would make perfect sense to number a service after the last two digits of the road it takes? In that case let's renumber the 21 as the 67.

Well Arriva did renumber the X14 as the X66 as it runs along the A66.
(23 Aug 2015, 5:53 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Well Arriva did renumber the X14 as the X66 as it runs along the A66.

There are many more up and down the country.
The X62 between Hull and Leeds jumps out. Although it is Stagecoach.

There was also the short lived X19 to Doxford Park. Which was Arriva.
(23 Aug 2015, 9:18 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]There are many more up and down the country.
The X62 between Hull and Leeds jumps out. Although it is Stagecoach.

There was also the short lived X19 to Doxford Park. Which was Arriva.

BINGO,

Top man, keep the X30 route number for the Blyth express and call the Newbiggin to Newcastle express the X19.

X15, X18, X19, X20 = PERFECT!

Just need to fill the X17 now  

Big Grin Big Grin
(23 Aug 2015, 9:35 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]BINGO,

Top man, keep the X30 route number for the Blyth express and call the Newbiggin to Newcastle express the X19.

X15, X18, X19, X20 = PERFECT!

Just need to fill the X17 now  

Big Grin Big Grin

X17 already exists within the North East - on Teesside. Hence the X16 for the Kirkhall service.
(23 Aug 2015, 9:38 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]X17 already exists within the North East - on Teesside. Hence the X16 for the Kirkhall service.

There is the 64 in Durham and the 64 (albeit with 64A) on Teesside. Kind of defeats your point.
(23 Aug 2015, 9:42 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]There is the 64 in Durham and the 64 (albeit with 64A) on Teesside. Kind of defeats your point.

Think there was something about not wanting to duplicate 'X' services, hence why the X12 was renumbered so throughout.
(23 Aug 2015, 9:42 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]There is the 64 in Durham and the 64 (albeit with 64A) on Teesside. Kind of defeats your point.

They are seemingly trying to remove duplication of Express Services

(23 Aug 2015, 9:53 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Think there was something about not wanting to duplicate 'X' services, hence why the X12 was renumbered so throughout.

Exactly, however it's more why Blyth's X4/X5 are being renumbered - as we have an X4/X5 on Teesside and it's easier to renumber the Blyth ones as there's no other linked services to renumber (likewise the X12 - was easier to renumber the 'original' X1 than the 'Best One' X1)
Could Arriva ask Northumberland County Council to place a couple of bus stops along Schalkschmule Road in Bedlington, outside of Morrisons (and the upcoming Lidl), currently a steep bank faces anyone needing to pop to Morrisons. (Not just for a quick trip from the Red Lion to the shop obviously, but if people need to get a pint of milk on their way home they won't have to walk as far etc)
(23 Aug 2015, 10:13 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Could Arriva ask Northumberland County Council to place a couple of bus stops along Schalkschmule Road in Bedlington, outside of Morrisons (and the upcoming Lidl), currently a steep bank faces anyone needing to pop to Morrisons. (Not just for a quick trip from the Red Lion to the shop obviously, but if people need to get a pint of milk on their way home they won't have to walk as far etc)

I'm aware that certain parts of the X21/X22 are funded by Northumberland County Council, I don't know if Schalkschmule Road is part of the funded section. 

NCC needs to sort out bus stops in the North Seaton Industrial Estate first! The poor driver who does the 30 must have got a bollocking for being helpful and dropping me off on the top of Armstrong Way. If it was to call at fixed bus stops only, I'd have to walk almost half a mile to the postal office...
(26 Aug 2015, 11:02 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]I'm aware that certain parts of the X21/X22 are funded by Northumberland County Council, I don't know if Schalkschmule Road is part of the funded section. 

NCC needs to sort out bus stops in the North Seaton Industrial Estate first! The poor driver who does the 30 must have got a bollocking for being helpful and dropping me off on the top of Armstrong Way. If it was to call at fixed bus stops only, I'd have to walk almost half a mile to the postal office...

Not completely sure on this, but I think it was Arriva's decision to send it that way, to ensure that the Red Lion had a bus every 10 minutes. I think the NCC funded section may be the Wansbeck Estate (between Stakeford and Guide Post).

There is the X21/X22 in Ashington and the X21/X22 in Sunderland...
(26 Aug 2015, 11:56 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]There is the X21/X22 in Ashington and the X21/X22 in Sunderland...

Indeed but none of these are MAX branded, which is the reason... removing duplicate numbers from the MAX branded routes, hence X12.