North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(19 Jul 2022, 3:46 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]You have the 58, which could be changed to go into newcastle.

Personally I'd change the 19/58 so it runs this route hourly - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/55.10542...e6!1m0!3e0

(Current route to Seaton Delaval - Avenue - New Hartley - East Cramlington - High Pit - Cramlington - Cramlington Station - Brockwell - East Hartford)

Both routes are subsidised and it opens more links for punters such as New Hartley -> Cramlington/North Shields, East Hartford to beyond Cramlington. The route currently just duplicates the 57 or is a very long winded route from Seghill which makes no sense and Beacon Hill has the hourly X9 doing pretty much the same route a very short walk away.

It's a piss easy change and costs nothing.
(19 Jul 2022, 4:53 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Personally I'd change the 19/58 so it runs this route hourly - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/55.10542...e6!1m0!3e0

(Current route to Seaton Delaval - Avenue - New Hartley - East Cramlington - High Pit - Cramlington - Cramlington Station - Brockwell - East Hartford)

Both routes are subsidised and it opens more links for punters such as New Hartley -> Cramlington/North Shields, East Hartford to beyond Cramlington. The route currently just duplicates the 57 or is a very long winded route from Seghill which makes no sense and Beacon Hill has the hourly X9 doing pretty much the same route a very short walk away.

It's a piss easy change and costs nothing.

I don't really know northumbria that well, are there any decent visitor attractions that dont have a bus nearby that could justify one.
(19 Jul 2022, 6:46 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]I don't really know northumbria that well, are there any decent visitor attractions that dont have a bus nearby that could justify one.

Honestly not really. The SE Northumberland network in general is alright. Pretty much everyone can get to everywhere with at one most one change and every town is connected by at least an hourly service including the tourist places like Plessey Woods etc. 

It helps that the local Parish councils over the years have blocked pretty much all out of town retail so most the retail bar Cowpen Rd in Blyth is in the town centres ie. Cramlington, Morpeth and Ashington including the supermarkets so it's easier to connect things up unlike your Arnisons and Team Valleys which aren't designed for public transport at all.

The only noticeable missing link is South Beach and a Metro Station ie. Regent Centre without having to travel right into Newcastle and Seaton Valley to NT Hospital which locally is quite a vocal one.
(19 Jul 2022, 7:59 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Honestly not really. The SE Northumberland network in general is alright. Pretty much everyone can get to everywhere with at one most one change and every town is connected by at least an hourly service including the tourist places like Plessey Woods etc. 

It helps that the local Parish councils over the years have blocked pretty much all out of town retail so most the retail bar Cowpen Rd in Blyth is in the town centres ie. Cramlington, Morpeth and Ashington including the supermarkets so it's easier to connect things up unlike your Arnisons and Team Valleys which aren't designed for public transport at all.

The only noticeable missing link is South Beach and a Metro Station ie. Regent Centre without having to travel right into Newcastle and Seaton Valley to NT Hospital which locally is quite a vocal one.

Would you know the width of Furnace Bridge by any chance, google maps thinks its about 4 yards.
(19 Jul 2022, 8:30 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]Would you know the width of Furnace Bridge by any chance, google maps thinks its about 4 yards.

I couldn't tell you to be honest but personally I'd just send them over the Spine Road like the 1 and 2 do, it's an awful road. I do believe buses used to go along there a long long time ago before the Spine Road and it used to be a big problem area in the winter. Similar to Bothal Bank up between Pegswood and Ashington.

It's more the hair pin turn on the Blyth side that's the problem as much as the bridge itself.
(19 Jul 2022, 8:56 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]I couldn't tell you to be honest but personally I'd just send them over the Spine Road like the 1 and 2 do, it's an awful road. I do believe buses used to go along there a long long time ago before the Spine Road and it used to be a big problem area in the winter. Similar to Bothal Bank up between Pegswood and Ashington.

It's more the hair pin turn on the Blyth side that's the problem as much as the bridge itself.

Would an Hourly Holywell, Seaton Delaval, New Hartley, Seaton Sluice, Holywell Dene, Earsdon, N.T Hospital, Middle Engine Lane, Coast Road, Newcaatle Work (if A to B was about 50-55 mins).
(19 Jul 2022, 3:46 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]You have the 58, which could be changed to go into newcastle.

Perhaps, although a lot of places on the way would have a better connection to Newcastle via X9, X10 or X11.

It would also need to be extended from the NSECH end to be able to serve The Bay Horse before joining the A19 etc towards Newcastle, possibly at the sacrifice of the Seaton Sluice extension.
(19 Jul 2022, 9:19 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]Would an Hourly Holywell, Seaton Delaval, New Hartley, Seaton Sluice, Holywell Dene, Earsdon, N.T Hospital, Middle Engine Lane, Coast Road, Newcaatle Work (if A to B was about 50-55 mins).

Nah wouldn't say so, it's too long and it's going around the world when the 57/57A with a change or the X7 would be much quicker to do pretty much any of those journeys.

Personally, if I had a total free choice I'd do these:

19: 57 from Ashington to Cramlington, 19 to North Shields via New Hartley instead of Elsdon Avenue / A192 (Hourly)
40 - 317 from North Shields to Wallsend, 41A from Wallsend to Hadrian Park, 335 from Hadrian Park to North Shields. (Every 30 Mins)
41 - Reverse of above. (Every 30 Mins)
42 - Current 342 (Hourly)
42A - 342 from Wallsend to Coast Road, remaining 335 to Killingworth, extended to Green Hills (Hourly)
43 - Extended to East Hartford again hourly omitting Beacon Lane (Hourly)
57 - 317 from North Shields to Whitley Bay, 57A from Whitley Bay to Cramlington both via Seghill (Every 30 Minutes)

317/335/342/57/58 withdrawn.

It opens lots of new links such as Ashington to Cobalt/Silverlink/Metro (more likely wanted than Whitley Bay); Monkseaton/Seaton Valley to NT Hospital and North Shields, East Hartford to anywhere, lots of links with the 40/41, improved 30 minute service from Wallsend to Killingworth (North Shields is covered by the 53), New Hartley to Cramlington / North Shields / Metro, Whitley Bay / Monkseaton to the Ferry.
(19 Jul 2022, 10:12 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Nah wouldn't say so, it's too long and it's going around the world when the 57/57A with a change or the X7 would be much quicker to do pretty much any of those journeys.

Personally, if I had a total free choice I'd do these:

19: 57 from Ashington to Cramlington, 19 to North Shields via New Hartley instead of Elsdon Avenue / A192 (Hourly)
40 - 317 from North Shields to Wallsend, 41A from Wallsend to Hadrian Park, 335 from Hadrian Park to North Shields. (Every 30 Mins)
41 - Reverse of above. (Every 30 Mins)
42 - Current 342 (Hourly)
42A - 342 from Wallsend to Coast Road, remaining 335 to Killingworth, extended to Green Hills (Hourly)
43 - Extended to East Hartford again hourly omitting Beacon Lane (Hourly)
57 - 317 from North Shields to Whitley Bay, 57A from Whitley Bay to Cramlington both via Seghill (Every 30 Minutes)

317/335/342/57/58 withdrawn.

It opens lots of new links such as Ashington to Cobalt/Silverlink/Metro (more likely wanted than Whitley Bay); Monkseaton/Seaton Valley to NT Hospital and North Shields, East Hartford to anywhere, lots of links with the 40/41, improved 30 minute service from Wallsend to Killingworth (North Shields is covered by the 53), New Hartley to Cramlington / North Shields / Metro, Whitley Bay / Monkseaton to the Ferry.

Do people heading south get the X7/X8 to Quorum then change for the 335?
(19 Jul 2022, 10:25 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]Do people heading south get the X7/X8 to Quorum then change for the 335?

Highly doubt it as it doesn't really go anywhere. Very few people connect with anything South unless it's another Arriva bus tbh, as far as I'm aware, as it costs an arm and a leg. There's no intermodal ticketing other than the £10.90 explorer. 

Its why you can't really compete up here unless the route goes exactly where people want to go or it's very frequent.
(20 Jul 2022, 7:35 am)Storx wrote [ -> ]Highly doubt it as it doesn't really go anywhere. Very few people connect with anything South unless it's another Arriva bus tbh, as far as I'm aware, as it costs an arm and a leg. There's no intermodal ticketing other than the £10.90 explorer. 

Its why you can't really compete up here unless the route goes exactly where people want to go or it's very frequent.

I thought you said people were complaining about links to N.T Hospital.
(20 Jul 2022, 9:22 am)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]I thought you said people were complaining about links to N.T Hospital.

They do but they'd 57/57A to Whitley then 54/308 from there to it (or get a taxi) rather than the 335 - both Arriva services so cheaper if they're paying at all it's more pensioners with hospital appointments more than anything.
I have amended the service suggestion from post #1,176.
It has become the X40 and has sort of become an SNE NCL 35X and an ANE Blyth 2X.

It is all stops Blyth, Bebside, Bedlington Station, East Hartford & Seaton Burn then limited stop calling at Fawdon Church, Wansbeck Road Metro, Barras Bridge & Haymarket only. 

The total journey time is 53 minutes, with a PVR of 2.

Maybe a X41 could introduced which runs from Seaton Burn to Blyth via Newsham & South Beach.
(23 Jul 2022, 5:56 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]I have amended the service suggestion from post #1,176.
It has become the X40 and has sort of become an SNE NCL 35X and an ANE Blyth 2X.

It is all stops Blyth, Bebside, Bedlington Station, East Hartford & Seaton Burn then limited stop calling at Fawdon Church, Wansbeck Road Metro, Barras Bridge & Haymarket only. 

The total journey time is 53 minutes, with a PVR of 2.

Maybe a X41 could introduced which runs from Seaton Burn to Blyth via Newsham & South Beach.

Don't really see the point of that personally, it's just an infrequent not express service at all.

No-one in SE Northumberland wants to be in the West End and it's a slower X9 / less frequent X21 for other links.

If you want some wacky suggestions which might actually work then here's 4

401 - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.97619...842753!3e0 (Every 2 Hours)

402 - https://www.google.com/maps/dir/54.97619...5a!1m0!3e0 (Every 2 Hours)

401/402 Combine Between Dinnington and Newcastle via Great Park and Kingston Park - Every Hour

342 - Do 401/402 route through Great Park.

342/401/402 - 30 Min service combined between Kingston Park / Great Park

416/417/436 - Withdrawn

All ran by minibuses as it's all that's needed.
I've noticed theres no direct Blyth - Northumbria Hospital, would this be useful.

I was thinking Blyth, South Beach, South Newsham, Northumbria Hospital, Southfields, then express to Newcastle. 

Also in regards to South Beach connections to the Metro, which station is preferable.
(24 Jul 2022, 10:20 am)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]I've noticed theres no direct Blyth - Northumbria Hospital, would this be useful.

I was thinking Blyth, South Beach, South Newsham, Northumbria Hospital, Southfields, then express to Newcastle. 

Also in regards to South Beach connections to the Metro, which station is preferable.

You've just described the X8, which stops a few minutes walk from Northumbria Hospital.

I guess that South Beach to Metro customers can use the 308 or 309 to Whitley Bay, then walk to the Metro station.
(24 Jul 2022, 10:51 am)omnicity4659 wrote [ -> ]You've just described the X8, which stops a few minutes walk from Northumbria Hospital.

I guess that South Beach to Metro customers can use the 308 or 309 to Whitley Bay, then walk to the Metro station.

Quite a long walk to the 309 for some in South Beach, especially those who live near South Newsham playing fields. I know there was moaning from pensioners who live near Amersham Drive as they can't get to Cramlington anymore either without walking.

They really need to work on the X7/X8/52 imo but I'm not sure what but there's no need for the X8, 52 and 53 doing very similar routes between Killingworth / Burradon and Cramlington give or take now that they've removed Cowpen etc going on a magical mystery tour around everywhere.
62 to extend to marske estate
81 to terminate at green lane extend green lane to stokesley. Connecting with 62 in redcar and the x93 in guisborough

New service
X2 between redcar and Scarborough (summers only)
I am wondering with Go North East not really to bothered about East Durham what Arriva could do to fill any gaps. A few ideas here. With some for Teesside as well.

East Durham.

Service 21 No change
Service 22/23/24 no change since they seem to work well but service 23 to operate hourly on Sundays between Hartlepool and Sunderland.

New service 25. Peterlee - Hordon - Hordon Station - Easington Village - Easington Lane - Murton - Dalton Park - Seaham.

Service 26 Hartlepool - Throston Grange - Hart Village - Castle Eden - Peterlee - Hordon Station - Easington Colliery - Dalton Park - Seaham. Services 25/26 to interwork at Seaham.

Service 27 Peterlee - Okerside - Easington Village - Hetton Le Hole - Houghton Le spring - Chester Le Street - Washington Galleries

X22 Hartlepool - Throston Grange - Bishop Cuthbert - Hart Village- Dalton Park - Chester Le Street - Beamish -Washington- Gateshead- Newcastle Eldon Square. Hourly 7 days a week every 30 between Newcastle and Dalton Park.

X95 Summer only - Peterlee - Trimdons - Sedgefield - Stockton -Yarm - then non stop to Whitby and Scarborough.

X22 Unchanged but some Evening journeys added

57/57A/58 unchanged.

Teesside.

Service 5 Some journeys will be run by Redcar depot. No changes

Service 7 some services extended to Teesside Airport and run as X7.

8/9 No changes

Service 15 /15 A all Journeys extended to terminate at North Tees Hospital. Some journeys renumbered 15A extending to Ingleby Barwick

Service 17/17A/ 18.

Current service 17 renumbered to service 18.

New service 17 will operate current service 17A route. Some journeys will extend to North Tees hospital via X12 route.

New service 19. Stillington - North Tees Hospital- Stockton - Teesside Park - Middlesbrough- Middleheven ( Middlesbrough College).

27/28/29/30 No changes

62 Extended Marske Estate
63 Revised to run via Kirkleatham Village
64 / 64A no changes

X3/X4. Will both run via Middleheavon for Riverside Stadium.

X12/X22 X22 will run via Teesside Park instead of X12. Some evening services on X22. X12 will additionally serve the Angel of the north and run limited stop between Chester le Street and the Angel.

X66/67 Some services will extend beyond Darlington to Bishop Auckland.

X93/X94 no changes.
(04 Aug 2022, 10:17 am)col87 wrote [ -> ]I am wondering with Go North East not really to bothered about East Durham what Arriva could do to fill any gaps. A few ideas here.  With some for Teesside as well.

East Durham.

Service 21 No change
Service 22/23/24 no change since they seem to work well but service 23 to operate hourly on Sundays between Hartlepool and Sunderland.

New service 25.  Peterlee - Hordon - Hordon Station - Easington Village - Easington Lane - Murton - Dalton Park - Seaham. 

Service 26 Hartlepool - Throston Grange - Hart Village - Castle Eden - Peterlee - Hordon Station - Easington Colliery - Dalton Park - Seaham.  Services 25/26 to interwork at Seaham.

Service 27 Peterlee - Okerside - Easington Village - Hetton Le Hole - Houghton Le spring - Chester Le Street - Washington Galleries

X22 Hartlepool - Throston Grange - Bishop Cuthbert - Hart Village- Dalton Park - Chester Le Street - Beamish -Washington- Gateshead- Newcastle Eldon Square. Hourly 7 days a week every 30 between Newcastle and Dalton Park. 

X95 Summer only - Peterlee - Trimdons - Sedgefield - Stockton -Yarm - then non stop to Whitby and Scarborough. 
The 25 is the 62 which mostly runs in GNE territory if it apparently didn't work for GNE arriva aren't going to stand the chance, especially with them being the odd one out in the Sunderland area. 

27 again that is pretty much the X1, however I never really understood why the X1, atleast 1 per hour never has again it would pretty much have Arriva sticking out like a sore thumb and it would push more people away from buses, same with the 26. Also I can't imagine many people want to go to Hartlepool from Seaham/Dalton Park. 

If anything Hartlepool to Dalton Park should be a bigger part of an express similar to the X22 (which I believe is already a service in the Peterlee area), and every 30 mins between Dalton Park and Newcastle I doubt would work through Arriva maybe with GNE operating it but Arriva wouldn’t stand a chance.