North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why don't they just do the following and sod the 'easy peazy 10 minute frequency' shite:

- Sapphire X31 every 30 mins Monday to Saturday / 60 minutes evenings and Sundays serving: Current X21 route from Newbiggin to Bedlington Red Lion then current X22 route from there to Newcastle.

- Sapphire X32 every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday serving: Newbiggin Cresswell Arms and Seacrest Road, North Seaton Fairfield Drive / NSC, Ashington Bus Station then same route as X31 to Newcastle.

- MAX+ X33 every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday / 60 minutes evenings and Sundays serving: X22 route to Glebe Road, then down to the roundabout next to the Red Lion then the current X21 route from there to Newcastle. Buses would serve all stops between Ashington and Seaton Burn Services then calling at Brunton Lane, Polwarth Drive and Regent Centre then only Gosforth High Street (Brandling Arms) with buses also serving Barras Bridge into Newcastle only. Evening and Sunday services would extend to North Seaton Demesne. The PVR for this service Monday to Saturday daytime would be 5 using the five not so good 57 plate E400s. Seats retrimmed to MAX specification and all NSA screens and announcements ripped out. Buses would still offer free Wi-Fi and power sockets.

- Sapphire X31 / X32 would combine to form a 15 minute frequency Monday to Saturday daytime from Newbiggin and between Ashington and Newcastle with all buses operating via Hartford Road between Bedlington and Newcastle. Only the Regent Centre and Gosforth High Street (Brandling Arms) would be served after Seaton Burn Services with buses also serving Barras Bridge into Newcastle only. During evenings and Sundays however, service X31 would also call at Brunton Lane and Polwarth Drive. The PVR for these two services would be 11 consisting of 7x 14 plate Enviro 400s, 1x 09 plate E400 and 3x of the best 57 plate E400s with the latter three being reconfigured to acccommodate a buggy bay. All Monday to Saturday daytime journeys would be driven by a team of dedicated Sapphire Drivers with good on time records (through legal driving and making an effort) and good customer care skills.

- During evenings and Sundays, services X31 and X33 would combine to give a bus approximately every 30 minutes from Ashington, Bedlington (either Glebe Road or Red Lion) and between A1068 / Plessey Woods and Newcastle. The combined PVR for services X31 / X33 and 35 would be 7 using 7522 - 7528. NSA's would be turned off on services X33 and 35. The interworking pattern from North Seaton would go X33 NCL, X31 NBIGG, 35 MOR, 35 NBIGG, X31 NCL, X33 NSEAT.

And yes, these services might not 'combine' (bar the X31 and X32) however, it's all down to brand perception. Remember that time I thought that the TEN was a faster option than Toon Link service 11 between the Tyne Valley / Ryton corridor and Newcastle? That was down to one thing and that's branding. If passengers want a fast service between Newcastle and Ashington, then they'd know to use the X20, X31 or X32 and if they needed the 'local links' along route, then they'd use the X33.
(25 Jul 2015, 2:10 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Why don't they just do the following and sod the 'easy peazy 10 minute frequency' shite:

What I'm trying to do is keep things simple while changing the perception of Sapphire X21/X22. Having the X31/32/33 return is going to earn feck all as it will confuse passengers and drive them away from the bus.

Having my plan will see the X21/22 change to X41/42 with a revised Sapphire brand which will be easy to apply to the existing 14-plates! 

The thing about having three normal routes to Newcastle is if there is capacity in Ashington and Haymarket bus stations.
Also why can't the 57-reg E400s upgrade the 35 after upping the service to a 10 minute frequency and refurbishing the StreetLites if need be?
(25 Jul 2015, 1:05 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]But 7505... Cry 

I think one of the best bits of branding I've ever seen was 'the express' branding applied to 7410-13, and the R-CKO DAF's, simple but very effective. If they could incorporate that into Sapphire, then that would be brilliant, I think the fact it is an express service needs to be promoted a bit more. There is a distinct impression that, especially with the people I talk to, the buses to Newcastle from Ashington and Bedlington are slow and they may as well take the car, promoting the service as 'the express' again may help?

7505 my bottom, it's that bus that's broken down about fifty times in one year.

What I was thinking was having the usual Sapphire logo, but in the same font as "brought to you by Arriva" having "E X P R E S S" where the Arriva tagline was...
(25 Jul 2015, 2:29 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]What I'm trying to do is keep things simple while changing the perception of Sapphire X21/X22. Having the X31/32/33 return is going to earn feck all as it will confuse passengers and drive them away from the bus.

Having my plan will see the X21/22 change to X41/42 with a revised Sapphire brand which will be easy to apply to the existing 14-plates! 

The thing about having three normal routes to Newcastle is if there is capacity in Ashington and Haymarket bus stations.

Well, the X31 and X32 would use stand P and the X33 would fall in between a departing Sapphire service and the next one due to come in for a 7-8 minute layover. Got to remember that people know it's supposedly an express service however, a straight through route from Ashington to Newcastle would take just over 50 minutes as opposed to nearly an hour through trying to balance the books with one service taking the longer route between Ashington and Bedlington with the other doing the same between Bedlington and Newcastle. That is what is turning people off the X21 / X22 services and a clear rebrand and restructure is needed so people know the difference which would put things right. People on the Ryton corridor have no problem with a combined 10 minute service as well as a standalone 30 minute service. They know that if they need to get into Newcastle quickly, they can use Toon Link 11 and if they just want the first bus that comes, then they've got 8 services per hour to choose from.
(25 Jul 2015, 2:35 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]7505 my bottom, it's that bus that's broken down about fifty times in one year.

What I was thinking was having the usual Sapphire logo, but in the same font as "brought to you by Arriva" having "E X P R E S S" where the Arriva tagline was...

Thought 7504 was the unreliable one, along with 7501? Don't take 7505 away from me, undoubtedly the best 57-plate I've been on in a while ;Wink

That seems alright actually, as long as you keep 7505 in it Wink
(25 Jul 2015, 2:37 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Well, the X31 and X32 would use stand P and the X33 would fall in between a departing Sapphire service and the next one due to come in for a 7-8 minute layover. Got to remember that people know it's supposedly an express service however, a straight through route from Ashington to Newcastle would take just over 50 minutes as opposed to nearly an hour through trying to balance the books with one service taking the longer route between Ashington and Bedlington with the other doing the same between Bedlington and Newcastle. That is what is turning people off the X21 / X22 services and a clear rebrand and restructure is needed so people know the difference which would put things right. People on the Ryton corridor have no problem with a combined 10 minute service as well as a standalone 30 minute service. They know that if they need to get into Newcastle quickly, they can use Toon Link 11 and if they just want the first bus that comes, then they've got 8 services per hour to choose from.

And that is exactly why you don't work for any bus company. Why make things complicated - all I can see in Tommy's suggestion is a simple renumbering, which is easy to communicate to the passengers. Your backwards step would just confuse people and likely make the Ashington Sapphire the worse performing of the branding by actually losing trade! How many times - today it's about simplicating networks (hence the current ongoing consultation on Teesside to simplify the Netherfields services).
(25 Jul 2015, 3:06 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]And that is exactly why you don't work for any bus company. Why make things complicated - all I can see in Tommy's suggestion is a simple renumbering, which is easy to communicate to the passengers. Your backwards step would just confuse people and likely make the Ashington Sapphire the worse performing of the branding by actually losing trade! How many times - today it's about simplicating networks (hence the current ongoing consultation on Teesside to simplify the Netherfields services).

Do you know if the X21/22 have picked up since a few months ago? I've noticed definite increases in passengers on certain trips, but I'm unsure on others? Smile
(25 Jul 2015, 2:32 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Also why can't the 57-reg E400s upgrade the 35 after upping the service to a 10 minute frequency and refurbishing the StreetLites if need be?

Now I've found one I like, are you purposely trying to take it away from me?! Wink
(25 Jul 2015, 3:06 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]And that is exactly why you don't work for any bus company. Why make things complicated - all I can see in Tommy's suggestion is a simple renumbering, which is easy to communicate to the passengers. Your backwards step would just confuse people and likely make the Ashington Sapphire the worse performing of the branding by actually losing trade! How many times - today it's about simplicating networks (hence the current ongoing consultation on Teesside to simplify the Netherfields services).
Ok then, but how about a 52 minute journey on the X31 / X32 from Ashington to Newcastle with improved reliability across all three routes and also taking into account that the X33 wouldn't need to go past the Police Station to get onto Bedlington Front Street thus actually reducing delays. People want quick journeys from A to B and if passengers were to travel from Newcastle to Bedlington, parts of Stakeford and Ashington, they'd know that:

X20 = Very quick

Sapphire X31 / X32 = Relatively quick, frequent, well equipped, punctual.

MAX+ X33 = Slow, less frequent, local links if needed, punctual.

A just over 10 minute difference between the journey time on the X20 and X31 / X32 would encourage customers but at nearly 20 minutes more sometimes with delays, then that begs to differ. The X21 / X22 are good in the fact that they're simple but they're simply not quick enough and the quality of the vehicles used (some of the 57 plates) don't help either.
And lets not forget that people know that the X21 / X22 are express services. Rebranding them to X41 / X42 and cleaning up the image of the fleet might do some good.

But what you've got to remember is that most people know they're both express service but they're slow. And don't forget the poor reputation that still sticks from when the X21 / X22 were first revised back in September 2012 with buses not turning up and the disgust of the former X21 and X31 / X32 users having to detour through Nedderton adding time onto their journey.
(25 Jul 2015, 3:16 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Ok then, but how about a 52 minute journey on the X31 / X32 from Ashington to Newcastle with improved reliability across all three routes and also taking into account that the X33 wouldn't need to go past the Police Station to get onto Bedlington Front Street thus actually reducing delays. People want quick journeys from A to B and if passengers were to travel from Newcastle to Bedlington, parts of Stakeford and Ashington, they'd know that:

X20 = Very quick

A just over 10 minute difference between the journey time on the X20 and X31 / X32 would encourage customers but at nearly 20 minutes more sometimes with delays, then that begs to differ. The X21 / X22 are good in the fact that they're simple but they're simply not quick enough and the quality of the vehicles used (some of the 57 plates) don't help either.

I'll be grateful if I'm able to get to Newcastle without getting confused on which bus that I should use...
(25 Jul 2015, 3:16 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Ok then, but how about a 52 minute journey on the X31 / X32 from Ashington to Newcastle with improved reliability across all three routes and also taking into account that the X33 wouldn't need to go past the Police Station to get onto Bedlington Front Street thus actually reducing delays. People want quick journeys from A to B and if passengers were to travel from Newcastle to Bedlington, parts of Stakeford and Ashington, they'd know that:

X20 = Very quick

Do you never engage your brain and realise that all you come out with the same things time and time again and everytime we say the same thing!? Your 'proposals' are basically ruining a simple-to-remember 10 minutely combined Ashington-Bedlington-Newcastle service because you think everyone wants them to be faster. Sorry, but these days networks need to be simple and effective - not over complicated and hard to remember.
(25 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]I'll be grateful if I'm able to get to Newcastle without getting confused on which bus that I should use...
From Ashington:

- If you want to get there quickly, use the X20

- If you don't mind an extra 10 minutes, use the X31 / X32 which run every 15 minutes

Forget the X33, you wouldn't need it from Ashington

Is there any need for such rudeness?
(25 Jul 2015, 3:33 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]Do you never engage your brain and realise that all you come out with the same things time and time again and everytime we say the same thing!? Your 'proposals' are basically ruining a simple-to-remember 10 minutely combined Ashington-Bedlington-Newcastle service because you think everyone wants them to be faster. Sorry, but these days networks need to be simple and effective - not over complicated and hard to remember.
Well technically, the X31 / X32 would be 1 route between Ashington and Newcastle. The only difference between them would be that one serves Wansbeck Hospital and the other serves North Seaton between Newbiggin and Ashington.
(25 Jul 2015, 3:37 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Well technically, the X31 / X32 would be 1 route between Ashington and Newcastle. The only difference between them would be that one serves Wansbeck Hospital and the other serves North Seaton between Newbiggin and Ashington.

On a reduced frequency however between Ashington and Newcastle. It doesn't need changing beyond a renumbering as per the X4/X5/X9/X13 becoming X7/X8/X6/X9 to avoid duplication of numbers. Having used them before, I don't hear moans about how long they take. People are use to things, why changing the network (and reduce the frequency) just because you think people want a faster service?
(25 Jul 2015, 3:42 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]On a reduced frequency however between Ashington and Newcastle. It doesn't need changing beyond a renumbering as per the X4/X5/X9/X13 becoming X7/X8/X6/X9 to avoid duplication of numbers. Having used them before, I don't hear moans about how long they take. People are use to things, why changing the network (and reduce the frequency) just because you think people want a faster service?
Well technically, it would increase the frequency from Bedlington and Stakeford as the 5/15 gaps would be eliminated. Not remember the uproar when the X21 first got rerouted?

But neither do you? If you were such a commercial wiz yourself, then you'd be getting head-hunted by bus companies left right and centre. 

Davey's ideas may be a bit OTT, but at least he's taking the time to think them out, and trying to put some justification behind it.
The reason why I chose X41/X42 is because the X31/32/33 used old buses and was a confusing network. You also suggest ripping out NSAs, refurbishing Sapphire buses to MAX and modifying buses to have buggy bays, which will leave passengers complaining about a lack of seats...?

My posts are a bit scattered so here's it all in one post.
  • Sapphire X21/X22 rebranded as Sapphire Express X41/X42 - No timetable or route changes. Nine new Enviro400s which will...
  • Displace 7501-7509 to upgrade routes 35/35A to Sapphire and a 10-minute frequency, refurbishing 1579-1581 to Sapphire if needs be.
  • Overall, passenger satisfaction will rise with the introduction of a full new (and 2014) X41/X42 fleet and upgraded quality on the 35/35A which currently have a mix of non-WiFi ex-London DLAs and WiFi Wright StreetLites.