North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I sent this suggestion to Arriva, and was surprised to find I actually got two replies, on confirming they'd pass it onto the commercial team, then another thanking me for the suggestion. Having read comments that they don't reply to emails, I was surprised to get two replies.

Good Afternoon,

Our commercial team wished to thank you for your suggestions, which are always welcome.

Although I cannot promise any short-term resolution to this problem, I can assure you that comments such as yours are looked upon favourably and acted upon where possible.

Kind Regards
(15 Apr 2014, 4:49 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I sent this suggestion to Arriva, and was surprised to find I actually got two replies, on confirming they'd pass it onto the commercial team, then another thanking me for the suggestion. Having read comments that they don't reply to emails, I was surprised to get two replies.

That was good of them, never know what they might come up with but the commercial team are always open to suggestions I know that.
The evening times implemented in February on the 5 Middlesbrough-Easington were created by me and a mate at Stockton depot (as an example).
(15 Apr 2014, 6:19 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]That was good of them, never know what they might come up with but the commercial team are always open to suggestions I know that.
The evening times implemented in February on the 5 Middlesbrough-Easington were created by me and a mate at Stockton depot (as an example).

Might be the reason why the order for the X18 has been decreased Wink
(15 Apr 2014, 6:19 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]The evening times implemented in February on the 5 Middlesbrough-Easington were created by me and a mate at Stockton depot (as an example).

So do you get the blame if it went tits up Tongue
(15 Apr 2014, 6:30 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]So do you get the blame if it went tits up Tongue

Probably Tongue I've done them and they're much better than they used to be. Used to be sat waiting at every timing point for 2 or 3 minutes, it was soul destroying doing them on a night. So we took 15 mins out of a round trip, runs to standard times all night now instead of departures at 2000, 2100, 2215 and 2315...
Here's one of my ideas for perhaps a new service in North Tyneside

Numbered 56 - North shields - Meadowell - Tynemouth road - Churchill street) - Battle Hill - Benton Asda - Four lane ends - West moor - Killingworth east bailey, or just straight to the bus station.
My suggestion would be for the 306 to operate only between Tynemouth and Newcastle with the same frequency and replaced by the following:

- Service X38 would operate every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime and every 60 minutes during Sunday daytime. Buses would observe all stops that the original 44 observed between Whitley Bay and Rake Lane. From Rake Lane, buses would observe all stops that the 308 serves to Billy Mill and from there, it would then operate non stop to Newcastle only calling at Willington Square. A PVR of 3 would be required and the timings would be as follows:

Peak Time:
- Haymarket = 00
- St Mary's Place = 02
- Willington Square = 18
- Billy Mill = 23
- St Thomas Moore = 25
- Murton Farm = 27
- Rake Lane Hosp = 30
- Hartington Road = 35
- Ennerdale Road = 37
- Farrington Road = 39
- Broadway = 42
- Whitley Bay = 47

Off Peak:
- Haymarket = 00
- St Mary's Place = 02
- Willington Square = 15
- Billy Mill = 19
- St Thomas Moore = 21
- Murton Farm = 23
- Rake Lane = 25
- Hartington Road = 29
- Ennerdale Road = 31
- Farrington Road = 33
- Broadway = 35
- Whitley Bay = 40
Do you think Arriva will ever try to compete with Go North East's services in and around the Newcastle area? Maybe if they offered low fares and decent buses?
(19 Apr 2014, 6:27 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Do you think Arriva will ever try to compete with Go North East's services in and around the Newcastle area? Maybe if they offered low fares and decent buses?
Vice versa has successfully happened on the 685 as far as Hexham! Arriva have tried to bite back but shooting themselves (or should I say, their customers) in the foot at the same time.
I'd say that it would be very unlikely not out of spite but simply down to the fact that GNE have a very tight knit network with many connections on offer. I know people who live in Arriva's turf in Northumberland and if GNE were to ever launch a service up that way, it would already be at an advantage due to the fact that many GNE services go to their Universities. Also, GNE have connections to the Metrocentre unlike Arriva and despite Arriva dominating Quorum and running the X9 to Cobalt, GNE offer more choice and convenience between Newcastle and Cobalt. I wonder how the Bargain Bus operation would've turned out if GNE had've accquired the Hexham operation alone and kept the Bargain Bus low cost unit from Ashington. Would it have turned into a fully fledged depot with B9TL's and Citaro's rolling out and on the road across Northumberland? Who knows.
(19 Apr 2014, 8:26 pm)Davey Bowyer wrote [ -> ]Also, GNE have connections to the Metrocentre unlike Arriva

Although I've been told I'm wrong on many occasion, I still think some Arriva operated service between Newcastle and the Metrocentre (perhaps an half-hourly extension of one of services currently terminating at the Haymarket) would be beneficial for both Arriva customers and the network in general.
Hope you're not suggesting bus operators have 'turf', Mr Bowyer. Wink
(19 Apr 2014, 9:23 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Hope you're not suggesting bus operators have 'turf', Mr Bowyer. Wink

Well in an essence, Arriva have always dominated Northumberland but it's a free market out there. GNE could easily go into Northumberland and start a new express service but on the other hand, Arriva could re enter the Tyne Valley and launch a 7-8 minute combined frequency with a fleet of VDL Pulsars between Crawcrook and Newcastle taking on GNE's TEN and SNE's 100. Anything could happen. Whether operators turf or not, that's just business and if they make their money, then so be it. But with a free market out there, competitors can easily compete at their own risk or in some instances, gain.
Would it be beneficial for Arriva to start Night Bus services on selected,most used, routes, as GNE do?
Does anyone remember the Arriva Darlington 30/31 route? This was a great route and had lots of connections, it's a shame it was packed in.

I think that Arriva should run night services at weekends in Darlo (Friday to Sunday night) as it is a pretty vibrant place.

I suggest:
N1: Starting from the town centre and running to Cockerton/Branksome/Minors Crescent/Faverdale then the 1 or 19 route to the town centre.
N2: Town Centre to North Road to Springfield to Whinfield then the 10 route back to town.
N3: Town Centre to FirthMoor back to the town to Skerne Park and Blackwell and to town via the 12 route.

All using Solo's or MPD's and running every 1 1/2 hour
(05 May 2014, 5:59 pm)JoshP wrote [ -> ]Does anyone remember the Arriva Darlington 30/31 route? This was a great route and had lots of connections, it's a shame it was packed in.

I think that Arriva should run night services at weekends in Darlo (Friday to Sunday night) as it is a pretty vibrant place.

I suggest:
N1: Starting from the town centre and running to Cockerton/Branksome/Minors Crescent/Faverdale then the 1 or 19 route to the town centre.
N2: Town Centre to North Road to Springfield to Whinfield then the 10 route back to town.
N3: Town Centre to FirthMoor back to the town to Skerne Park and Blackwell and to town via the 12 route.

All using Solo's or MPD's and running every 1 1/2 hour

I remember the evening and Sunday Services 30A/31A, which I imagine was withdrawn due to low passenger numbers as I can't imagine the Mowden OAPs were down Inside Out necking Jägerbombs.

Late night bus services will probably never happen in Darlington but here is another suggestion:

N7 Darlington - Newton Aycliffe Woodham Village.
(05 May 2014, 8:21 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I remember the evening and Sunday Services 30A/31A, which I imagine was withdrawn due to low passenger numbers as I can't imagine the Mowden OAPs were down Inside Out necking Jägerbombs.

Late night bus services will probably never happen in Darlington but here is another suggestion:

N7 Darlington - Newton Aycliffe Woodham Village.

I remember the weekday version, I used to get it to school and back each day. I think the 3 and the 16 replaced the route to make it simpler. And haha that's a quality comment!

Would you suggest the N7 use sapphire vehicles on night duties? How about an N1 service?
(05 May 2014, 8:35 pm)JoshP wrote [ -> ]I remember the weekday version, I used to get it to school and back each day. I think the 3 and the 16 replaced the route to make it simpler. And haha that's a quality comment!

Would you suggest the N7 use sapphire vehicles on night duties? How about an N1 service?
Sapphire vehicles on a night bus- lovely sick coated leather for the next day's services Wink
(05 May 2014, 8:35 pm)JoshP wrote [ -> ]I remember the weekday version, I used to get it to school and back each day. I think the 3 and the 16 replaced the route to make it simpler. And haha that's a quality comment!

I'd possibly allocate a Solo for the N7 suggestion.

Not sure about an N1 service and where it would run.
(05 May 2014, 8:48 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I'd possibly allocate a Solo for the N7 suggestion.

Not sure about an N1 service and where it would run.

Realised this is the 2nd N1 I've mentioned but if we are doing out of town services my N1 would be Darlo to Bishop only and back.