North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10 Mar 2021, 12:24 am)mb134 wrote [ -> ]I'm told reasonably reliably that certain X15 journeys now (well, pre-Covid), would struggle with a coach in terms of loading - with deckers being reasonably full. I'm possibly wrong on the specifics, but I believe one such trip is the 0653 from Alnwick which can take a decent load into Newcastle. I'd love to see coaches but I think it's unrealistic anyway with Arriva, though they possibly wouldn't make sense anyway with loads. 

I've seen virtually all of the Alnwick runs (X15/18/20) take full seated loads in and out of Newcastle in the past, so I think they realistically need deckers for flexibility if nothing else. I've never seen an X16 need anything more than a Pulsar, and I think I've seen an X14 fill a single decker on a few occassions (tends to be if the Alnwick express before it is running late). 

The 685, however... I'd hope Arriva realise with all routes currently operated by Scanias that they really need heavy duty replacements, though I guess we'll have to wait and see about that.

Yeah valid points with the loadings tbf the X15 does get bus especially at peak times in the Summer tbf. Definitely with the 685, no doubt we'll see some Streetlites though then the bosses will be confused after a few months why they've got older stock running on it.

(10 Mar 2021, 1:19 am)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I'm not convinced you'd even be able to suitably accommodate coaches at Morpeth Bus Station in particular the electronic ramps many coaches have these days may not have the space to be used on the conventional stands, don't know what the dedicated long distance stand is like for space.

The X14 is a weird one for what to use as I've often had not particularly high loadings on it but at other times you can end up with pretty much a full seated loading on an E400.

Not sure on having coaches on 685 again as more tends to be used in parts rather than the full route although you do get some that will do a full journey to/from Carlisle for a jolly, part of me would like to see it go decker operated but it's only required for the school loadings most of the time.

Fair point with Morpeth, forgot they rebuilt the bus station there since the coaches we're originally on.

Dunno about the 685 though, it's quite similar to some of Stagecoach Highland's bus routes the X99 and 10 from Inverness in particular and they're quite popular on there. Suppose it depends how many people are making long'ish trips tho ie. Haltwhistle to Carlisle rather than Haltwhistle to Greenhead etc.

(10 Mar 2021, 9:48 am)RMF1254 wrote [ -> ]Having travelled on these routes many times, I would prefer double deckers. They are much better for tourist type routes for the views; the views from the top deck along the coast from Warkworth to Alnwick on the X18/X20  of Alnmouth and the river are excellent.  Likewise for the coast around Seahouses, Bamburgh, Holy Island.

Is there much height difference between a coach and a double decker? Genuine question that (not rhetorical). Must be quick close surely or we're talking cm's rather than metres difference at least - I could be wrong though.
(10 Mar 2021, 12:24 am)mb134 wrote [ -> ]The 685, however... I'd hope Arriva realise with all routes currently operated by Scanias that they really need heavy duty replacements, though I guess we'll have to wait and see about that.

We can only hope... 3 Streetlites tracking on 685 today (1574, 1583 and 1587). It's been more common to have either 3 Pulsars or 2 Pulsars and a Streetlite over the past few months. I can't imagine it is a comfortable journey for end to end passengers.
(11 Mar 2021, 10:44 am)cainebj wrote [ -> ]We can only hope... 3 Streetlites tracking on 685 today (1574, 1583 and 1587). It's been more common to have either 3 Pulsars or 2 Pulsars and a Streetlite over the past few months. I can't imagine it is a comfortable journey for end to end passengers.
I once did a full trip on the 685 with a Lite and the worst part was actually the seats, firm/hard e-leather for 2+ hours wasn't the best experience it must be said
(12 Mar 2021, 2:15 am)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I once did a full trip on the 685 with a Lite and the worst part was actually the seats, firm/hard e-leather for 2+ hours wasn't the best experience it must be said

Is there much difference between those StreetLites and the ones we have down here?
I don't find them particularly bad, if anything I think they're slightly more cushioned than GNE's e-leather equivalents.
A few ideas to improve the Hartlepool and Teesside networks.

Teesside

The 15 extended to North Tees Hospital and all services extending to Ingleby Berwick via Thornaby.
Some services will be renumbered to 16 and will operate North Tees Hospital - Yarm via Preston Park replacing the service 7. Both will continue to be a regular high frequency service.

17 Will be extended to Stockton via Thornaby replacing the existing 17 and 17A services.

21 Middlesbrough - Yarm - Teesside Airport - Darlington.

This will run in conjunction with the X66 and X67 providing a direct service between Middlesbrough Yarm and Teesside Airport.

X 12 X13

All X12 Journeys will now Terminate at Durham.
New Service X13 will take over some of the X12 route and will operate Middlesbrough - Stockton- Billingham then Direct to Chester Le Street - The Angel of the North - Gateshead and Newcastle.

63 will continue as now but will now serve Kirkleatheam village.

X4 Will no longer continue to Whitby and instead will terminate at Lofus.
New Service 67 will operate A new Whitby - Redcar service.

Some X93 Journeys will re numbered X95 and will operate non stop between Whitby and Scarborough and Continue to Bridlington via most of the Holiday Parks. This will be 2 journeys each way
on a morning and afternoon.
Most other services to remain unchanged.

Hartlepool.

23 and 24 to be unchanged.

New service 25 will operate between Hartlepool and Peterlee via Hart Station and Castle Eden.

57 57A remain unchanged.

New service X23 will operate as a limited express service between Hartlepool and Sunderland via Peterlee Easington and Doxford International.

Teesside

The 15 extended to North Tees Hospital and all services extending to Ingleby Berwick via Thornaby. 
Some services will be renumbered to 16 and will operate North Tees Hospital - Yarm via Preston Park replacing the service 7. Both will continue to be a regular high frequency service. 

17 Will be extended to Stockton via Thornaby replacing the existing 17 and 17A services. 

21 Middlesbrough - Yarm -  Teesside Airport - Darlington. 

This will run in conjunction with the X66 and X67 providing a direct service between Middlesbrough Yarm and Teesside Airport. 

X 12 X13

New Service X13 will take over some of the X12 route and will operate Middlesbrough - Stockton-  Billingham then Direct to Chester Le Street  - The Angel of the North - Gateshead and Newcastle. 

Some X93 Journeys will re numbered X95 and will operate non stop between Whitby and Scarborough and Continue to Bridlington via most of the Holiday Parks. This will be 2 journeys each way

Hartlepool.

New service 25 will operate between Hartlepool and Peterlee via Hart Station and Castle Eden.

57 57A remain unchanged. 

New service X23 will operate as a limited express service between Hartlepool and Sunderland via Peterlee Easington and Doxford International.
(12 Mar 2021, 2:56 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]A few ideas to improve the Hartlepool and Teesside networks. 

Teesside

X 12 X13

New Service X13 will take over some of the X12 route and will operate Middlesbrough - Stockton-  Billingham then Direct to Chester Le Street  - The Angel of the North - Gateshead and Newcastle. 

Hartlepool.

57 57A remain unchanged. 

Teesside

X 12 X13

Hartlepool.

57 57A remain unchanged. 

Don't agree with the X12/X13 changes. The X12 is about giving people outside Durham a connection to Newcastle using their Arriva tickets and also Sedgefield and Coxhoe direct buses and also the same the other way from Blyth / Gosforth / Ashington to Durham. It's not about Stockton / Middlesbrough to Newcastle and Arriva doesn't serve Billingham so it makes no sense going there.

It also gives Durham University a direct bus to Newcastle and links from multiple places to Durham College and the hospital without the change.

That said though I do think you could do some form of X13 like:

Durham - Durham University - East Durham College - NON STOP - Amazon Durham - NON STOP - Sedgefield (Limited Stops) - NON STOP - Tesco Stockton - Limited Stops - Stockton - Portrack Lane - Newport Bridge - NON STOP - Middlesbrough

To give a quicker service between Durham and Teesside as it's very slow atm and also a service north to Portrack Lane where there's shops and work places and a bus to Amazon Durham as there's none atm.

Can't really comment on the rest as I don't know them.
(12 Mar 2021, 8:11 am)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Is there much difference between those StreetLites and the ones we have down here?
I don't find them particularly bad, if anything I think they're slightly more cushioned than GNE's e-leather equivalents.

I think the seats are marginally worse on theirs than the ones round Bishop/Darlington although still don't find those great but I ain't on those for 2 hours except when they were doing Dalesbus and Moorsbus in the summer before although they weren't particularly well favoured by passengers on these routes more for the absolutely shockingly bad ride quality than anything on some of the roads the routes serve.

(12 Mar 2021, 2:56 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]A few ideas to improve the Hartlepool and Teesside networks.

Teesside

X 12 X13

New Service X13 will take over some of the X12 route and will operate Middlesbrough - Stockton- Billingham then Direct to Chester Le Street - The Angel of the North - Gateshead and Newcastle.

Hartlepool.

57 57A remain unchanged.

Teesside

X 12 X13

Hartlepool.

57 57A remain unchanged. 

Some of these suggestions have been put into practice in some forms in the past and never really took off and think some were council supported before being cut and others are just pointless duplicating of existing services or inconveniencing other passengers from changed/lost links.

Teesside

X 12 X13

Hartlepool.

57 57A remain unchanged. 

You do realise bus operators need to make a profit, right? No profit = no bus.
(13 Mar 2021, 4:51 pm)RobinHood wrote [ -> ]You do realise bus operators need to make a profit, right? No profit = no bus.
You could say the same for any service. How many of the current Stagecoach, Go North East, Arriva services are making profits.  Sometimes trying new services could actually work better than existing ones.
(13 Mar 2021, 5:16 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]You could say the same for any service. How many of the current Stagecoach, Go North East, Arriva services are making profits.  Sometimes trying new services could actually work better than existing ones.
You're right, in order to get profit you need passengers, one of the main reasons i post suggestions on here is that bringing positive service changes to the table could present opportunities for long term benefits.

Teesside

X 12 X13

Hartlepool.

57 57A remain unchanged.

Teesside

X 12 X13

Hartlepool.

57 57A remain unchanged. 

Ok then I’ll bite...
Extending all 15s to Ingleby Barwick - how about the people in Bassleton Court and how would they get to Thornaby (& Stockton)?
Reducing the frequency through Thornaby would not go down well either - it’s Arriva’s busiest route on Teesside (along with the 63) so would overload easily.
17 extended to Stockton, what about those people (including school children) in Thornaby and Ingleby Barwick travelling to Yarm & Eaglescliffe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teesside

X 12 X13

Hartlepool.

57 57A remain unchanged.

Teesside

X 12 X13

Hartlepool.

57 57A remain unchanged. 

Can’t see the 25 or the x23 working at all as there’s no demand , so you want the Arriva x23 going the same way as GNE service 55 in GNE territory?

I’m surprised Arriva service 23 is still running on a 30 minute frequency as it’s making a loss even before all this pandemic

What about sending the 53 back down to ASDA again, GNE turn their 42 around at the Wheatsheaf Roundabout,so Arriva could turn their 53 around at the Roundabout outside the Range
(14 Mar 2021, 12:21 pm)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]What about sending the 53 back down to ASDA again, GNE turn their 42 around at the Wheatsheaf Roundabout,so Arriva could turn their 53 around at the Roundabout outside the Range

Asda could turn the recycling bin layby next to the petrol station into a bus stop or convert the lesser used parking spaces by the delivery entrance into a turning circle?
Arriva isn't that smart. A lot of people who I've seen were quite annoyed that the 53 got cut from serving Benton Asda. But that's what happens when a roundabout was taken out. Yea they could extend it to Turn around at the Range roundabout but make more sense if the 53 went all the way to Four Lane Ends but nah that won't happen
(14 Mar 2021, 12:56 pm)omnicity4659 wrote [ -> ]Asda could turn the recycling bin layby next to the petrol station into a bus stop or convert the lesser used parking spaces by the delivery entrance into a turning circle?
No i totally agree,buses used to go into ASDA outside the old Garden Centre,think it was only mini bus operated routes that were allowed in,like the 343/344
(14 Mar 2021, 10:54 am)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Ok then I’ll bite...
Extending all 15s to Ingleby Barwick - how about the people in Bassleton Court and how would they get to Thornaby (& Stockton)?
Reducing the frequency through Thornaby would not go down well either - it’s Arriva’s busiest route on Teesside (along with the 63) so would overload easily.
17 extended to Stockton, what about those people (including school children) in Thornaby and Ingleby Barwick travelling to Yarm & Eaglescliffe.  

For the 15 is it not possible to get to Ingleby Barwick from Basselton court.  If not than another idea could be 15A between there and Stockton so still regular.

The idea for the 17 would have been a mixture of the 17 and 17A routes but if that don’t work then I would guess I would do a 17S School service between Yarm and Eaglescliffe.   Thornaby would still have several regular services to Stockton between the 15 15A and 17.  It’s just an idea after all.
(14 Mar 2021, 1:11 pm)MichealAaron wrote [ -> ]Arriva isn't that smart. A lot of people who I've seen were quite annoyed that the 53 got cut from serving Benton Asda. But that's what happens when a roundabout was taken out. Yea they could extend it to Turn around at the Range roundabout but make more sense if the 53 went all the way to Four Lane Ends but nah that won't happen
Send the 42 from Asda via Great Lime Road & Forest Hall (53 route), and send send 53 via Asda & Benton Metro (42 route)

Teesside

X 12 X13

Hmm...

I'd suggest 15/15a/15b operating 15 minutes each to combine a 5 minute frequency. This would replace the 7

15 - North Tees, Roseworth, Stockton, Thornaby, Basselton Court
15a - North Tees, Roseworth, Stockon, Thornaby, Ingelby Barwick
15b - North Tees, Roseworth, Stockton, Preston Park, Yarm

17/17a to remain the same as they provide great links for Yarm/Ingelby/Middlesbrough

I don't think the 21 would work, not until Teesside Airport 'Takes off' that is. However when it does I'd suggest

X68 - Darlington Tubwell Row, Darlington Rail Station, Teesside Airport, Stockton, Teesside Park, Middlesbrough. Operating every 30 minutes.
This would replace the need for the 12 to serve Teesside Airport and create a 15 minute frequency for Teesside Park links. Also would allow advertising for the X66 for a quick link from the towns, X67 as the workers connect/express, and X68 for great days out.

The X12 could benefit from Panther LEs but I'm just dreaming. The route itself is okay and to me doesn't need improving. 

Cutting the X4 at Loftus is a bit silly to me as well, it's a great back up route back to Middlesbrough from Whitby if the X93 is late or very busy.

The improvements I'd suggest for Cleveland are:

92 - Stokesley to Saltburn via Guisborough and Skelton 
X92 - Summer Express service from Middlesbrough to Whitby via Guisborough, Saltburn and Loftus this would run alongside X93 and X94

Maybe an open top bus running shuttles between Redcar & Saltburn at normal fare to entice people to use the bus rather than the train too (weather depending).
(17 Mar 2021, 2:39 pm)Benny wrote [ -> ]Hmm...

I'd suggest 15/15a/15b operating 15 minutes each to combine a 5 minute frequency. This would replace the 7

15 - North Tees, Roseworth, Stockton, Thornaby, Basselton Court
15a - North Tees, Roseworth, Stockon, Thornaby, Ingelby Barwick
15b - North Tees, Roseworth, Stockton, Preston Park, Yarm

17/17a to remain the same as they provide great links for Yarm/Ingelby/Middlesbrough

I don't think the 21 would work, not until Teesside Airport 'Takes off' that is. However when it does I'd suggest

X68 - Darlington Tubwell Row, Darlington Rail Station, Teesside Airport, Stockton, Teesside Park, Middlesbrough. Operating every 30 minutes.
This would replace the need for the 12 to serve Teesside Airport and create a 15 minute frequency for Teesside Park links. Also would allow advertising for the X66 for a quick link from the towns, X67 as the workers connect/express, and X68 for great days out.

The X12 could benefit from Panther LEs but I'm just dreaming. The route itself is okay and to me doesn't need improving. 

Cutting the X4 at Loftus is a bit silly to me as well, it's a great back up route back to Middlesbrough from Whitby if the X93 is late or very busy.

The improvements I'd suggest for Cleveland are:

92 - Stokesley to Saltburn via Guisborough and Skelton 
X92 - Summer Express service from Middlesbrough to Whitby via Guisborough, Saltburn and Loftus this would run alongside X93 and X94

Maybe an open top bus running shuttles between Redcar & Saltburn at normal fare to entice people to use the bus rather than the train too (weather depending).

I agree about the X4 and Loftus. Not just for those making the full trip or using it as an alternative to the X93, but for those in parts of East Cleveland who find the 5 doesn't meet their needs or in areas such as Staithes who still have the need to travel beyond Redcar. That journey doesn't need to be made any slower or more difficult than it already is.

Im not sure about the X92 suggestion though. How much quicker would it be between Saltburn and Whitby vs the X4?

I do think the 18 will come in to its own once we end the lockdown. A shame it doesn't run on weekends. I feel Coatham are missing a trick there.