North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(25 Jul 2015, 4:14 pm)NK57 GWX wrote [ -> ]The reason why I chose X41/X42 is because the X31/32/33 used old buses and was a confusing network. You also suggest ripping out NSAs, refurbishing Sapphire buses to MAX and modifying buses to have buggy bays, which will leave passengers complaining about a lack of seats...?

My posts are a bit scattered so here's it all in one post.
  • Sapphire X21/X22 rebranded as Sapphire Express X41/X42 - No timetable or route changes. Nine new Enviro400s which will...
  • Displace 7501-7509 to upgrade routes 35/35A to Sapphire and a 10-minute frequency, refurbishing 1579-1581 to Sapphire if needs be.
  • Overall, passenger satisfaction will rise with the introduction of a full new (and 2014) X41/X42 fleet and upgraded quality on the 35/35A which currently have a mix of non-WiFi ex-London DLAs and WiFi Wright StreetLites.

I fully agree that something needs to be done to clear up the image of the X21/22, be it a new 'express' tagline, which I think would help promote the service, or more timetables posted through people's letterboxes. I don't think people know how frequent the service is, or how quick it is, the X22 is 57 minutes start to finish, with the X21 being similar from Newcastle to Ashington. 

I know this will sound unbelievably hypocritical, BUT, I think 7501-9 should be kept on for the time being. I see the next few weeks as a perfect opportunity to give each of them a good look over mechanically, and get one of the NW Pulsars on loan to cover?
(25 Jul 2015, 4:24 pm)NK64 EEH wrote [ -> ]I fully agree that something needs to be done to clear up the image of the X21/22, be it a new 'express' tagline, which I think would help promote the service, or more timetables posted through people's letterboxes. I don't think people know how frequent the service is, or how quick it is, the X22 is 57 minutes start to finish, with the X21 being similar from Newcastle to Ashington. 

I know this will sound unbelievably hypocritical, BUT, I think 7501-9 should be kept on for the time being. I see the next few weeks as a perfect opportunity to give each of them a good look over mechanically, and get one of the NW Pulsars on loan to cover?

Do you mind not changing the name in my post?  Wink

Time-being: until the new orders   Tongue

The 14-reg batch have had the Eco systems fixed, if they can sort 7501-7509 (INCLUDING 7505!!!) they'll still be going on the 35... 

Why don't you go and catch your improved number 2 to go and find 7505...  Big Grin
(25 Jul 2015, 4:34 pm)NK14 GFU wrote [ -> ]Do you mind not changing the name in my post?  Wink

Time-being: until the new orders   Tongue

The 14-reg batch have had the Eco systems fixed, if they can sort 7501-7509 (INCLUDING 7505!!!) they'll still be going on the 35... 

Why don't you go and catch your improved number 2 to go and find 7505...  Big Grin

Have the 14-plates always had them fitted, I was on 7524 on Tuesday and it felt as powerful as ever? 

Think they could put 7501-4 on the 35 along with 1579-81 (would that cover the PVR?), 7505/7 could stay on the X21/22, with 7506/8/9 acting as spares for both?

The 'improved number 2' is now further away from my house than the current number 2! I'll get the X21 and hope it's 7524.... Wink
(25 Jul 2015, 4:55 pm)Y258 KNB wrote [ -> ]Have the 14-plates always had them fitted, I was on 7524 on Tuesday and it felt as powerful as ever? 

Think they could put 7501-4 on the 35 along with 1579-81 (would that cover the PVR?), 7505/7 could stay on the X21/22, with 7506/8/9 acting as spares for both?

The 'improved number 2' is now further away from my house than the current number 2! I'll get the X21 and hope it's 7524.... Wink

What I've been told, yes. They had the system tweaked a few weeks ago.

7505 needs to break down and never start up again... 

Aww, what a pity...  Rolleyes
(25 Jul 2015, 5:09 pm)D178 FYM wrote [ -> ]What I've been told, yes. They had the system tweaked a few weeks ago.

7505 needs to break down and never start up again... 

Aww, what a pity...  Rolleyes

Ahh, fair enough Wink 

Leave 7505 alone! Once Ashington fix it, get yourself on it, you'll regret wanting it to 'never start up' ;Wink

Didn't like the allocation on the 2 anyway...

With the X20 now extending to Alnwick, will the vehicle requirement increase by one or two? Also, is the frequency between Ashington and Newcastle increasing?
(25 Jul 2015, 5:15 pm)V213 DJR wrote [ -> ]Ahh, fair enough Wink 

Leave 7505 alone! Once Ashington fix it, get yourself on it, you'll regret wanting it to 'never start up' ;Wink

Didn't like the allocation on the 2 anyway...

With the X20 now extending to Alnwick, will the vehicle requirement increase by one or two? Also, is the frequency between Ashington and Newcastle increasing?

I've been on 7505, it broke down before it opened its doors and broke down again in Ashington bus station. I'd assume that the PVR will be 4, so 7453-6...

D178 FYM is a brilliant bus, much better than the DLAs
(25 Jul 2015, 4:14 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]The reason why I chose X41/X42 is because the X31/32/33 used old buses and was a confusing network. You also suggest ripping out NSAs, refurbishing Sapphire buses to MAX and modifying buses to have buggy bays, which will leave passengers complaining about a lack of seats...?

My posts are a bit scattered so here's it all in one post.
  • Sapphire X21/X22 rebranded as Sapphire Express X41/X42 - No timetable or route changes. Nine new Enviro400s which will...
  • Displace 7501-7509 to upgrade routes 35/35A to Sapphire and a 10-minute frequency, refurbishing 1579-1581 to Sapphire if needs be.
  • Overall, passenger satisfaction will rise with the introduction of a full new (and 2014) X41/X42 fleet and upgraded quality on the 35/35A which currently have a mix of non-WiFi ex-London DLAs and WiFi Wright StreetLites.

Actually, the changes would entail the following:

- Re-introducing a simple 15 minute core frequency Monday to Saturday daytime with quick links from Newbiggin, Ashington, Stakeford, Bedlington and Newcastle using the most direct route (current X21 route to Bedlington then X22 route from there to Newcastle).

- Improve reliability reducing gaps (20 minutes by the time the time difference between the X21 and X22 is taken into account from Stakeford and Bedlington) and having a simple 15 minute frequency with 4 buses per hour Monday to Saturday daytime improving reliability and customer satisfaction.

- Improving the stock used on Sapphire X31 / X32 with 7x 14 reg vehicles, 1x 09 reg vehicle and 3x of the best of 57 plate vehicles all to Sapphire spec with free wi-fi, plug sockets, NSAs , buggy bays on all vehicles as standard.

- Speeding up journey times on X31 / X32 omitting Polwarth Drive and Brunton Park stops Monday to Saturday daytime.

- Reducing pressure on the X20 due to the faster and technically more frequent journeys between Ashington and Newcastle

- Dedicated team of drivers for all Monday to Saturday daytime journeys on services X31 / X32.

- Improving reliability on all three services.

- X33 would be downgraded to MAX spec with normal Arriva livery but would keep free wi-fi and plug sockets. Seats would be re-trimmed with Arriva logo on headrests and NSAs and screens ripped out. X33 would use 5x E400s.

- New evening and Sunday service for North Seaton provided by service X33.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is what the service would look like between Ashington and Newcastle Monday to Saturday daytime:

- X20 (could be MAX?) = Current route every 60 minutes with journeys to Alnwick.

- SAPPHIRE X31 / X32 every 15 minutes combined serving Newbiggin, North Seaton (X32), Wansbeck Hospital (X31), Ashington, Stakeford Half Moon, Bedlington Station, Bedlington Red Lion, Hartford Road, A1068 then limited stop to Newcastle calling at the Regent Centre, Gosforth Brandling Arms and Barras Bridge (NCL only). PVR = 11x Sapphire Spec E400s.

- Arriva (MAX Spec) X33 every 30 minutes serving Ashington, Ashington Park, Briardene, Stakeford Ashington Dr, Wansbeck Glendale Ave, Guide Post, Bedlington Glebe Road, Nedderton, A1068, Brunton Lane then limited stop to Newcastle only calling at, Polwarth Drive, Regent Centre, Gosforth Brandling and Barras Bridge (NCL only).

And this is what the service would look like between Ashington and Newcastle during evenings and Sundays:

- SAPPHIRE X31 every 60 minutes serving Newbiggin, Wansbeck Hospital, Ashington, Stakeford Half Moon, Bedlington Station, Bedlington Red Lion, Hartford Road, A1068, Brunton Lane then limited stop to Newcastle only calling at, Polwarth Drive, Regent Centre, Gosforth Brandling and Barras Bridge (NCL only).

- Arriva (MAX Spec) X33 every 60 minutes serving North Seaton Demesne, Ashington, Ashington Park, Briardene, Stakeford Ashington Dr, Wansbeck Glendale Ave, Guide Post, Bedlington Glebe Road, Nedderton, A1068, Brunton Lane then limited stop to Newcastle only calling at, Polwarth Drive, Regent Centre, Gosforth Brandling and Barras Bridge (NCL only).

- The combined frequency with the X31 / X33 will be 'approximately' every 30 minutes from Ashington, Bedlington (either Glebe Road or Red Lion) and between A1068 and Newcastle.

- The combined PVR of the X31 / X33 and 35 would be 7x 14 reg SAPPHIRE spec E400s.
(25 Jul 2015, 3:59 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]But neither do you? If you were such a commercial wiz yourself, then you'd be getting head-hunted by bus companies left right and centre. 

Davey's ideas may be a bit OTT, but at least he's taking the time to think them out, and trying to put some justification behind it.

Thank You aureolin and Kuyoyo, please DO NOT say that just because a bus is loud when idle means it's powerful, the Streetdecks are miles behind the E400, E400MMC and Volvo B9TL and are absolutely dire!
Or, if you don't want to make things complicated and instead just have three services:

- X20 = As it is
- X33 = Simply keep it has X22 but with the suggestion that I made above with Arriva (MAX) spec.

For the X31 / X32, keep it as the X21 but with the new route between Bedlington Red Lion and Newcastle. The 35 and X20 currently serve North Seaton well enough. But for the X21, same ideas as the suggestion above but all journeys via Wansbeck Hospital and running as X21 under SAPPHIRE brand. The X21 would then be the 'main' service between Newcastle and Ashington with the X20 providing super fast links as now and the X22 providing local links.

It would then work like this:

- X20 = As now

- X21 = Same route as now but via Hartford Road rather than Neddderton and only calling at Regent Centre, Gosforth and Barras Bridge (to NCL) after Seaton Burn Services. Revised to operate every 15 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime with a PVR of 11 SAPPHIRE Spec E400s. Evening and Sunday journeys operate every 60 minutes and additionally serve Brunton Lane and Polwarth Drive.

- X22 = Same route and stopping arrrangements as X33 suggestion above with evening and Sunday extension to North Seaton Demesne. PVR of 5 Arriva (MAX) spec E400s operating every 30 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime and every 60 minutes evenings and Sundays.

- X21 / X22 / 35 with a combined PVR of 7 during evenings and Sundays.
So the X22 will go MAX??? What's the logic in that???
(25 Jul 2015, 6:52 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]So the X22 will go MAX??? What's the logic in that???

The logic is that the X21 becomes the main service between Newbiggin, Ashington, Stakeford, Bedlington Station, Bedlington Front Street and Newcastle running every 15 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime with Sapphire spec buses running the most direct route with the only differences being the faster route between Bedlington and Newcastle and the Monday to Saturday daytime stopping arrangements between Seaton Burn Services and Newcastle. The X22 then becomes Ashington's own version of a 'slow Toon Link' on the Ashington to Newcastle corridor running every 30 minutes via the slower route through Guide Post and Nedderton.
What is with all the 'change the username to a bus registration in quotes'?
(25 Jul 2015, 7:04 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]The logic is that the X21 becomes the main service between Newbiggin, Ashington, Stakeford, Bedlington Station, Bedlington Front Street and Newcastle running every 15 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime with Sapphire spec buses running the most direct route with the only differences being the faster route between Bedlington and Newcastle and the Monday to Saturday daytime stopping arrangements between Seaton Burn Services and Newcastle. The X22 then becomes Ashington's own version of a 'slow Toon Link' on the Ashington to Newcastle corridor running every 30 minutes via the slower route through Guide Post and Nedderton.

So the X22, the route that passengers expect NSAs and lovely Sapphire drivers will actually be run by old crap buses badly refurbished to "MAX+" wearing the corporate livery. Have you seen the new corporate livery, by any chance?
(26 Jul 2015, 8:28 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]So the X22, the route that passengers expect NSAs and lovely Sapphire drivers will actually be run by old crap buses badly refurbished to "MAX+" wearing the corporate livery. Have you seen the new corporate livery, by any chance?

Jesus that's terrible, worse than Go North East's one, plain and boring haha
(26 Jul 2015, 8:28 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]So the X22, the route that passengers expect NSAs and lovely Sapphire drivers will actually be run by old crap buses badly refurbished to "MAX+" wearing the corporate livery. Have you seen the new corporate livery, by any chance?

That's a livery that Midlands are using for two routes that serve the MIRA site... Not a new corporate scheme!
2 of Tamworths Scanias and Hinckley's 4 new E200s have been painted for it
(26 Jul 2015, 8:36 am)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]That's a livery that Midlands are using for two routes that serve the MIRA site... Not a new corporate scheme!
2 of Tamworths Scanias and Hinckley's 4 new E200s have been painted for it

Bloody buses magazine...!
(26 Jul 2015, 8:49 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Bloody buses magazine...!

To be fair, that is very similar to the Arriva livery that the interurban livery is replacing. Why would they want to go back to it (or something extremely similar)?
Right then, how about this:

SAPPHIRE Service X21:
- Revised to operate every 15 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime and every 60 minutes evenings and Sundays.
- Will also be revised to operate via Hartford Road rather than Nedderton Lane.
- All Monday to Saturday daytime journeys omit Brunton Lane and Polwarth Drive.
- Will operate with a team of dedicated Sapphire drivers Monday to Saturday daytime with 11x ADL E400MMCs with plug sockets, free Wi-Fi, Buggy Bays, NSA's and similar high back coach seating like what Stagecoach Gold services use.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- 5 x 14 plate E400s alongside 7518 as a spare could then go to Darlington and Belmont to make the 7 fully double deck if passenger growth continues. 1x 14 plate will remain at Ashington as a 'dedicated' spare for the X21 and if needed, the other one can float between the three depots (long term PVR shortgaes, severe roadworks etc).
- The 57 plate E400s could then be refurbished to MAX spec (with no NSA's, just simple headrest re-trim) and allocated to service 35 with whatevers left being used as spare.
- The 3x Streetlites currently on the 35 will be refurbished to MAX spec (free Wi-Fi, USB charging points, leather Civic V3 seating) to be joined alongside further 4x new ones for MAX Service X22.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MAX Service X22:
- Will operate every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday daytime and every 60 minutes evenings and Sundays.
- Will operate current X22 route to Glebe Road then instead of serving Bedlington Front Street, will serve the stop on Glebe Road before the Red Lion Roundabout then after there, the current X21 route to Newcastle via Nedderton.
- Evening and Sunday journeys also extend to North Seaton Demesne.
- Will operate with 7x MAX Spec Streetlites (3x refurbished, 4x new) with free Wi-Fi, USB charging points, leather Civic V3 seating.

During evenings and Sundays, the combined PVR for services X21, X22 and Service 35 would be 6 vehicles using 6x E400MMCs.
Information will be included in X22 timetable clearly stating that if you want a faster journey from Ashington, Stakeford or Bedlington to Newcastle to use SAPPHIRE service X21. Services X21 and X22 during evenings and Sundays would combine to give a bus approximately every 30 minutes from Ashington, Bedlington (either Red Lion or Glebe Road) and between A1068 and Newcastle.

For stand arrangements at Haymarket, Services X20, X21 and 51 would use stand P. Service X22 would use stand N during Monday to Saturday daytime and Stand P during evenings and Sundays.
Now we're getting new ADL Enviro400MMCs?????!!!!

My suggestion was: 9 new buses, rebrand to X41/42 and Sapphire Express, release 7501-9 to 35 route and upgraded frequency with StreetLite refurbishment optional (or StreetLites released to other depots)...

They didn't buy 8 new buses for another route?
(26 Jul 2015, 9:43 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Now we're getting new ADL Enviro400MMCs?????!!!!

My suggestion was: 9 new buses, rebrand to X41/42 and Sapphire Express, release 7501-9 to 35 route and upgraded frequency with StreetLite refurbishment optional (or StreetLites released to other depots)...

They didn't buy 8 new buses for another route?

The orders would mean the following:

- 11x SAPPHIRE Spec E400MMCs for Ashington with coach seating like what Stagecoach Gold services have.

- 5 additional E400s (7522-7526) alongside 7527 as a 'dedicated' spare could then go to Darlington and Belmont for SAPPHIRE service 7.

- 1x SAPPHIRE E400 (7528) will remain at Ashington as a 'dedicated' spare.

- 1x SAPPHIRE E400 (7518) becomes a floater spare for all double deck SAPPHIRE services covering for long term VOR's and Roadworks etc.

- 6x SAPPHIRE E400s (best of 7501-7509) get NSA's ripped out, seats re-trimed to MAX and allocated to services 35/35A.

- The other three can just be used where and when needed (double deck capacity for X22 when Toon is playing on a Saturday etc).

- 3x Streetlites of the 35 get refurbished to MAX spec (as in suggestion) and with 4 new ones in MAX spec (as in suggestion), these then get allocated to MAX Service X22 during Monday to Saturday daytime. This means that a 20 minute frequency can be maintained without the expense of having to operate deckers and benefiting from the reduced fuel costs that the Streetlite offers. All evening and Sunday services on the X22 use double deckers anyways for operational reasons which isn't a bad thing due to the reduced frequency, the relatively combined frequency with the X21 and if the Toon is playing on a Sunday etc.