North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(28 Mar 2014, 11:10 am)Acky81 wrote [ -> ]I wish arriva would operate in Sunderland and open up some new routes for people now that would be interesting. Arriva is a Sunderland company after all

What do people think? Can you suggest any good routes
(06 Apr 2014, 7:48 am)Acky81 wrote [ -> ]What do people think? Can you suggest any good routes

I think the X19 from Newcastle to Doxford International was a good route, but it never seemed to take off. I suppose there were few Arriva connections at Heworth and Gateshead?

I'd say maybe something that competes with the 56 could work? It could provide links with places like the Nissan Factory and Queen Elizabeth Hospital or possibly Waterview Park and The Galleries? Probably not such a good idea to compete with the crowded, super-frequent X3 though! Tongue
Just thinking about the existing network (with all three of the big operators) and there doesn't seem to be a gap in the market - 10min frequencies have seen to that.

The only other option, would be to have a variation on an existing service and go with that, in the hope the market increases.

The A19 has its own problems, but a variation of an ANE service in the East Durham area, could be an option.
So rather than hug the coast between Peterlee and Sunderland, it uses the A19, specifically where the x7 doesn't, such as Dalton Park, Doxford Park etc.
[quote='BJ10VUS' pid='37591' dateline='1396774006']

I think the X19 from Newcastle to Doxford International was a good route, but it never seemed to take off. I suppose there were few Arriva connections at Heworth and Gateshead?

If the X19 were to additionally stop at Waterview Park and possibly Follingsby Park then it could make a more successful return.
Was thinking more operating in sunderland
(07 Apr 2014, 10:52 am)Acky81 wrote [ -> ]Was thinking more operating in sunderland

Thing is - as Arriva don't have a depot in Sunderland, they're very limited to what they can actually do without it being a 'Malarkey Marathon' sort of service. Services which go all around the world aren't particularly favoured these days.
Arriva really can't do anything in Sunderland as both Go North East and Stagecoach North East (particularly the latter) have everything covered with streamlined 10 minute frequencies in most cases.

However:

I'd suggest an X24 service (although it would have to be numbered slightly differently owing to the current X24 service existing): a high speed express service between Sunderland and Durham.

I do think Arriva would be foolish to attempt at a Sunderland - Middlesbrough express owing to the X7 existing and they'd not stand much of a chance of having high profit levels if they missed out any extra stops to make it faster than the X7.

I'd personally like to see the X19 resurrected in one form or another as a normal daytime operation, but as BJ10VUS said above, they did and still do lack other Arriva connections (except at the Newcastle end).
(07 Apr 2014, 10:52 am)Acky81 wrote [ -> ]Was thinking more operating in sunderland

As Dan said, they don't have a depot in Sunderland and the urban nature of the place, doesn't seem to suit their model.

However, there could be scope with a variation of existing services.

Limited stop between Sunderland - Ryhope - Doxford Intl and A19 - Dalton Park - Easington Village - Peterlee and then either Durham, Hartlepool or Stockton from there, as a quicker route than exists currently or offering a new alternative.

* Peterlee - Castle Eden (via Passfield Way) Wingate - Wheatley Hill - Thornley - A181 - Durham

* as above - Wingate - Station Town - A19 - Billingham - Stockton

* as above - Wingate - Station Town - A19 - Elwick - Hartlepool (via Hart Lane) - A189 - Billingham - Norton - Stockton. Reverse misses Elwick and operates from Hart Lane via A179 to Station Town.

Land in those pit villages is cheap and one of the things putting off possible housebuilders, is lack of public transport.
Suppose it is like the chicken and the egg, who goes first?
Was just a thought with there hq in Sunderland
(06 Apr 2014, 8:46 am)BJ10VUS wrote [ -> ]I think the X19 from Newcastle to Doxford International was a good route, but it never seemed to take off. I suppose there were few Arriva connections at Heworth and Gateshead?

I'd say maybe something that competes with the 56 could work? It could provide links with places like the Nissan Factory and Queen Elizabeth Hospital or possibly Waterview Park and The Galleries? Probably not such a good idea to compete with the crowded, super-frequent X3 though! Tongue

The lack of connections is a massive problem for Arriva when they venture outside of their comfort zone. Look at the Durham-Newcastle X2 for example. It has a wealth of connections at each end of the route, but nothing in between. It is their only service between Durham and Newcastle. No connections in Chester le Street, Birtley, Gateshead, etc.
(07 Apr 2014, 4:52 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]The lack of connections is a massive problem for Arriva when they venture outside of their comfort zone. Look at the Durham-Newcastle X2 for example. It has a wealth of connections at each end of the route, but nothing in between. It is their only service between Durham and Newcastle. No connections in Chester le Street, Birtley, Gateshead, etc.

I agree and it's the same with Stagecoach and their X34. I personally think they could increase competition with the X36 if the route served Heworth.
(07 Apr 2014, 4:52 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]The lack of connections is a massive problem for Arriva when they venture outside of their comfort zone. Look at the Durham-Newcastle X2 for example. It has a wealth of connections at each end of the route, but nothing in between. It is their only service between Durham and Newcastle. No connections in Chester le Street, Birtley, Gateshead, etc.

How do people use this service?

By this, I mean are there many passengers boarding/alighting in places like Chester, Birtley or Gateshead or is do passengers mainly use the service point-to-point?
(08 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]How do people use this service?

By this, I mean are there many passengers boarding/alighting in places like Chester, Birtley or Gateshead or is do passengers mainly use the service point-to-point?

Its mostly people traveling through from the X1 and connecting from other services in Durham Bus Station.

Most passengers who board after Framwellgate Moor are Concession passes.
(08 Apr 2014, 3:07 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Its mostly people traveling through from the X1 and connecting from other services in Durham Bus Station.

Most passengers who board after Framwellgate Moor are Concession passes.

If this is indeed the case, would there be any merit in making this service non-stop between Durham Bus Station (or Framwellgate Moor/Arnison Centre) and Chester; and then from Chester and Gateshead?

A faster alternative to GNE's X21 perhaps?
(08 Apr 2014, 6:43 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]If this is indeed the case, would there be any merit in making this service non-stop between Durham Bus Station (or Framwellgate Moor/Arnison Centre) and Chester; and then from Chester and Gateshead?

A faster alternative to GNE's X21 perhaps?

They do pick up/drop off quite a bit between Pity Me and Durham or I did last time I did one (admittedly not very often!) - especially at college times at Fram Moor. It's pretty much nonstop to Chester after Pity Me with the stops in between rarely stopped at anyway. Quite a few use it from Birtley and Low Fell into Gateshead, not sure why as its hardly much quicker really, just doesn't stop at every stop I suppose.
No denying the loads are lighter on the X2 but yes it does sell weekly tickets on various Durham routes so some revenue from those should be attributed to it I suppose.
There is a lack of services stopping at Belsay, its a nice place and it definitely needs bus services. A Belsay-Ponteland-Newcastle and a Belsay-Morpeth service could be possible.
(06 Apr 2014, 7:48 am)Acky81 wrote [ -> ]What do people think? Can you suggest any good routes

Couple of suggestions for Sunderland:

Arriva could extend service 23 from Sunderland to Durham via Durham Road-Doxford International-Houghton (but miss out Hall Lane Estate where GNE service 20 goes, but could go via Raintion Bridge then straight onto A690 to Durham or via East or West Rainton), this will help with driver changeover and not waiting over 30 minutes for the next driver to turn up with the service 24 coming in at the same time. Also workers from Hartlepool and East Durham area who has Arriva tickets to go to Doxford International.

Arriva could extend service half of the 7 from Durham to Sunderland while the other half of the 7 continue its full route. via the same proposed route as service 23 above. which will give more opportunity for Arriva day or week tickets for passengers having already purchased tickets from other Arriva services in Durham surrounding areas and having to purchased GNE tickets to get to Sunderland or Doxford International workers.
I think service 23 should be extended to Middlesbrough, resolving the changover issues, and would be operated by Stockton, while a new route the X32 would be introduced from Sunderland to Durham via the same route cbma06 said, as I really like that idea.
(10 Apr 2014, 10:22 am)Tom wrote [ -> ]I think service 23 should be extended to Middlesbrough, resolving the changover issues, and would be operated by Stockton, while a new route the X32 would be introduced from Sunderland to Durham via the same route cbma06 said, as I really like that idea.

I don't think Arriva would do a suggested Hartlepool to Middlesbrough service as it will get up stagecoach noses, When Stagecoach took over Hartlepool and Cleveland transit, Arriva made a deal with Stagecoach: Arriva gived Hartlepool services to Stagecoach (Hartlepool to Stockton and Billingham area but kept Hartlepool to Durham area (now 23/22 etc..) and in return Arriva gained areas in Cleveland from Stagecoach.

Probably means that Arriva would go back on their deal with Stagecoach.

I remember when United used to do bus services from Hartlepool to Bishop Auckland etc... but over the years the service just got shorter and shorter then eventually got withdrawn.
(10 Apr 2014, 10:45 am)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]I don't think Arriva would do a suggested Hartlepool to Middlesbrough service as it will get up stagecoach noses, When Stagecoach took over Hartlepool and Cleveland transit, Arriva made a deal with Stagecoach: Arriva gived Hartlepool services to Stagecoach (Hartlepool to Stockton and Billingham area but kept Hartlepool to Durham area (now 23/22 etc..) and in return Arriva gained areas in Cleveland from Stagecoach.

Probably means that Arriva would go back on their deal with Stagecoach.

I remember when United used to do bus services from Hartlepool to Bishop Auckland etc... but over the years the service just got shorter and shorter then eventually got withdrawn.

A non-stop service surely wouldn't do any harm?
Here is my suggestion to improve the ''Coast and Castles'' services:

Service X14: This service would continue to connect with service 14 at Morpeth, however would only run hourly.

Service X15: A new, faster link would be introduced from Newcastle to Berwick and Alnwick. This service would omit Felton and Shillbottle to improve reliability on this service. From Alnwick to Berwick, this service would operate via it's normal route, with some timetables improvements to assist with reliability, including longer loading times at Alnwick, and a increased layover at Berwick, and Newcastle.

New Service X16: This service would operate hourly, from Newcastle to Alnwick. It would operate via Regent Centre, Stannington Village, Hepscott Village, Morpeth, Pegswood, Widdrington, Amble and Alnmouth. This would provide a increased hourly service for residents of Hepscott Village, and an improved faster link from Stannington Village to Newcastle. This would replace service X18 around Widdrington and Amble, and make the service more reliable. Combined with the X14, X15 and X18, it would provide a service between Morpeth and Newcastle every 15 minutes, albeit the X16 taking around 10 minutes longer.

Service X18: Service X18 would see significant changes to route, and timetable. To speed journeys up, service X18 would omit Widdrington, Amble and Alnmouth, which would be replaced by new service X16. This service would run via it's current route to Morpeth from Newcastle and Regent Centre, then would operate to Alnwick via the A1, Felton and Shilbottle, to replace the links previously provided on service X15. Then it would operate via it's current route from Alnwick to Berwick, but all services will serve Howick to improve links for tourists wanting to visit Howick and Dunstunburgh Castle. The timetable would be changed significantly, and be coordinated with the X14, X15 and X16 to provide a service every 15 minutes from Morpeth to Newcastle, and coordinated with the X15 and X16 to provide a service up to every 20 minutes from Alnwick to Newcastle.

Services 57A and 33 would also be affected by this change. Reliability would be improved significantly, however, 33 journeys would be slightly re-timed by 5-7 minutes. The increased layover time at Morpeth would allow the 57/57A journeys to be slightly re timed to improve reliability.

Overview:

*Faster journeys from Newcastle to Alnwick and Berwick.
*Improved reliability.
*More frequent services from Alnwick to Newcastle.
*Improved links for villages such as Howick, Hepscott and Stannington.