North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05 Apr 2015, 10:35 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]How many times - that's going BACKWARDS! Arriva are looking forwards not backwards.

But, combined frequencies don't matter if:
- Journeys are running unreliable.
- It takes 90 mins to get from Newbiggin to Newcastle during peak times.
- Passengers are seeking alternative means of transport and not generating extra custom on services.

There wasn't anything wrong with 'the express'. The only problem was that the X33 carried fresh air bar the peak times but, why should that section of the route have it's profits raised by serving the faster route between Bedlington and Newcastle and the other very profitable route gets a de-tour through a barely used but essential part of the route as a consequence?

Perhaps if Arriva had've put more marketing effort into the old X31 / X32, then they could've achieved the profits to subsidise the less well used outside of peak times, but essential X33 route. Ever since the changes in September 2012, both routes have been nout but trouble and inconvenience for passengers. 

And despite combined frequencies, most passengers would check the timetable to see which bus would get them from A- B faster. For instance, if I was travelling from Crawcrook or Ryton to Newcastle, I would check both the TEN and 11 times and if an 11 was due a mere few minutes after, I'd wait for the 11 due to the more direct route via Scotswood Road.
(05 Apr 2015, 10:35 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]How many times - that's going BACKWARDS! Arriva are looking forwards not backwards.

People only need to know the number and destination to get to their destination, frequencies don't matter, it's better having more services from Ashington - Newcastle than limited to a 20 minute frequency.

As for the branding - that's a good idea, 'Sapphire' and 'MAX' have nothing to do with Ashington, Bedlington etc. Something local instead of something that can be seen everywhere.

What needs to be looked at is a busway that bypasses Gosforth, that could cut 10+ minutes off the journeys.

Free Wifi, leather seating, NSAs and power sockets should come as standard in the next services to get an upgrade, not having brands that discriminate Morpeth etc. by not having 'Sapphire' on their routes.

The proposal that Davey is suggesting is a good one, this could be brought in as part as the Ashington redevelopments, but with minor timetable changes so that its quicker to pass through Ashington instead of the five sets of traffic lights around the bus station coming from Newbiggin etc.
(06 Apr 2015, 8:17 am)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]People only need to know the number and destination to get to their destination, frequencies don't matter, it's better having more services from Ashington - Newcastle than limited to a 20 minute frequency.

As for the branding - that's a good idea, 'Sapphire' and 'MAX' have nothing to do with Ashington, Bedlington etc. Something local instead of something that can be seen everywhere.

What needs to be looked at is a busway that bypasses Gosforth, that could cut 10+ minutes off the journeys.

Free Wifi, leather seating, NSAs and power sockets should come as standard in the next services to get an upgrade, not having brands that discriminate Morpeth etc. by not having 'Sapphire' on their routes.

The proposal that Davey is suggesting is a good one, this could be brought in as part as the Ashington redevelopments, but with minor timetable changes so that its quicker to pass through Ashington instead of the five sets of traffic lights around the bus station coming from Newbiggin etc.

You'd still have a 15 minute combined frequency from Newbiggin Seacrest Rd then between Ashington and Newcastle via the current X21 route to Bedlington them X22 route from there to Newcastle. Would also take alot of pressure of the X20 due to the 52 minute journey time from Ashington. Unless passengers want two SLOW services from Ashington to Newcastle, then both sections of both routes between Ashington and  Bedlington and Bedlington and Newcastle, can't be combined to achieve fast journey times. Faster journey times are far more impprtant than a fancy combined 10 mimute frequency that only does combine at Ashington then between the A192 and Newcastle. The X31 / X32 services alongside a standalome X33 service with a bit of marketing and awareness would be far better.
From what I've seen this week when doing journeys all the way through, I think the following would be beneficial:
  • Layover time at Bedlington, I noticed that if services from Newcastle were busy before reaching here it was extremely hard for drivers to keep to, or make up time before reaching Ashington. Likewise, services from Ashington, if late, could do with some time here to get passengers on and to make it easier for the driver to keep to time for the next bit, as they wouldn't have to be constantly pushing to make it up.
  • A frequent Ashington/ Bedlington service to complement the express routes, I noticed that while there were a lot of people using the bus for the duration, some were hopping between a few stops.

For my local service suggestion, maybe something like this :
Ashington Bus Station - Stakeford - Bedlington Station -Bedlington- Nedderton- Bedlington Hartlands- Choppington -Guide Post- Ashington

And another bus doing the same loop but in the other direction. 
(06 Apr 2015, 9:51 am)mb134 wrote [ -> ]From what I've seen this week when doing journeys all the way through, I think the following would be beneficial:

• Layover time at Bedlington, I noticed that if services from Newcastle were busy before reaching here it was extremely hard for drivers to keep to, or make up time before reaching Ashington. Likewise, services from Ashington, if late, could do with some time here to get passengers on and to make it easier for the driver to keep to time for the next bit, as they wouldn't have to be constantly pushing to make it up.
  • A frequent Ashington/ Bedlington service to complement the express routes, I noticed that while there were a lot of people using the bus for the duration, some were hopping between a few stops.

For my local service suggestion, maybe something like this :
Ashington Bus Station - Stakeford - Bedlington Station -Bedlington- Nedderton- Bedlington Hartlands- Choppington -Guide Post- Ashington

And another bus doing the same loop but in the other direction. 

JUST SCRAP IT! Nobody wants to go on a mile diversion that nobody uses, I'd rather change at Bedlington to hop on the X22 so I don't die of boredom.
(06 Apr 2015, 9:59 am)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]JUST SCRAP IT! Nobody wants to go on a mile diversion that nobody uses, I'd rather change at Bedlington to hop on the X22 so I don't die of boredom.

That was for my local service suggestion, so that that side of Bedlington, Nedderton and the Hartlands had a local bus service that didn't impact the express punctuality 

Edit: I also know, for a fact, that people do use the Nedderton section of the route, especially the section out of Bedlington. 
Or, they could have another service serve Nedderton completely and have both the X21 / X22 running via the Hartlands with a few timetable adjustments with both services running every 9-11 minutes combined. I'll come up with something later on.
(06 Apr 2015, 10:01 am)mb134 wrote [ -> ]That was for my local service suggestion, so that that side of Bedlington, Nedderton and the Hartlands had a local bus service that didn't impact the express punctuality 

Edit: I also know, for a fact, that people do use the Nedderton section of the route, especially the section out of Bedlington. 

The section along where that pub/carvery is does get well used, possibly a shuttle service '121' could link them places with the revised X21?
(06 Apr 2015, 10:31 am)Tommy_1581 wrote [ -> ]The section along where that pub/carvery is does get well used, possibly a shuttle service '121' could link them places with the revised X21?

I think a town service between Ashington and Bedlington would be the best bet, I'll make something later on so that it's obvious what I'm going for.
Got a few suggestions for bus service changes in Morpeth:

I've noticed a few reliability issues with the 57A, generally the 57 is spot on, but the 57A seems to be late often. I think this could possibly be down to the short layover after working the 33/X14. Also, the 2 can be late often. So, what I would suggest to happen is:

-Service 2 curtailed to operate between Blyth and Morpeth Bus Station, only serves Kirkhill evening/Sundays.
-Service 33 to operate as a standalone service, hourly between Kirkhill and Lancaster Park, and half hourly between Kirkhill and Morpeth.
-Services 57A and X14 have better layover time at Morpeth to improve reliability.
How would you get drivers to Morpeth for reliefs on service 33? This is exactly why the whole lot is interworked at present
Ok folks, here is my 'not outdated or 'back in time' suggestion as to what should happen with services X21 / X22:

Timing samples: [attachment=6551]
Summary of suggested changes: [attachment=6550]

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ARRIVA DOCUMENT, IT'S MERELY AN ENTHUSIAST'S SUGGESTION!
Actually, just an amendment to the PVR section, the 306 / 308 operations would remain the same and Blyth would just work the 42 / 57 during evenings and Sundays.
Just need 6100 from Deptford now Wink
(12 Apr 2015, 3:51 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]How would you get drivers to Morpeth for reliefs on service 33? This is exactly why the whole lot is interworked at present

Never saw this before, the X14/X15/X18 change drivers at Morpeth?
Also if that is the reason they are interworked, then where do they change drivers? As none of them serve Ashington. 
X21 - Sunderland - Ryhope - New Seaham - Dalton Park - Murton - South Hetton - Easington Lane - High Pittington - Sherburn Village - A1(M) Direct - Newton Aycliffe - Aycliffe Village - Harrowgate Hill - Darlington
Replacing current X21 Hourly

X22 - Sunderland - Ryhope - New Seaham - Dalton Park - Murton - South Hetton - Easington Lane - High Pittington - Carville - Durham
Operating Hourly alongside the X21, Providing a Faster Journey Time between Sunderland and Durham compared to the existing Service 22.

X23 - Darlington - Aycliffe Village - Newton Aycliffe - A1(M) Direct - Durham - Framwellgate Moor - Chester le Street - A1(M) Direct - Low Fell - Gateshead - Newcastle
Operating Hourly providing a Service Every 20 Minutes between Durham and Newcastle alongside Service X12.
(15 Apr 2015, 7:23 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]X21 - Sunderland - Ryhope - New Seaham - Dalton Park - Murton - South Hetton - Easington Lane - High Pittington - Sherburn Village - A1(M) Direct - Newton Aycliffe - Aycliffe Village - Harrowgate Hill - Darlington

X22 - Sunderland - Ryhope - New Seaham - Dalton Park - Murton - South Hetton - Easington Lane - High Pittington - Carville - Durham
Operating Hourly alongside the X21, Providing a Faster Journey Time between Sunderland and Durham compared to the existing Service 22.

X23 - Darlington - Aycliffe Village - Newton Aycliffe - A1(M) Direct - Durham - Framwellgate Moor - Chester le Street - A1(M) Direct - Low Fell - Gateshead - Newcastle
Operating Hourly providing a Service Every 20 Minutes between Durham and Newcastle alongside Service X12.

Not really sure about the X21 suggestion, very few people from Darlington and Newton Aycliffe get the current 21/X21 to Sunderland (in fact I wouldn't at all be surprised if me and Dan were the only people to go this far on the 21/X21).

The X23 suggestion it would probably be better to run it via the A167 missing Chilton and Ferryhill out and possibly stop at all stops en-route to Durham including Croxdale as it could possibly pick up some of the GNE X21 custom as looking on Google Maps it would take the same length of time as going direct via the A1(M) and going via the A167 would also be less miles.
(15 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Not really sure about the X21 suggestion, very few people from Darlington and Newton Aycliffe get the current 21/X21 to Sunderland (in fact I wouldn't at all be surprised if me and Dan were the only people to go this far on the 21/X21).

The X23 suggestion it would probably be better to run it via the A167 missing Chilton and Ferryhill out and possibly stop at all stops en-route to Durham including Croxdale as it could possibly pick up some of the GNE X21 custom as looking on Google Maps it would take the same length of time as going direct via the A1(M) and going via the A167 would also be less miles.
Think it would pick up some Passengers around Murton/Dalton Park, obviously if the Service and the Links it provides were Promoted by Arriva then it may help the Service grow.

As for the X23, I wasnt sure which way to have it go into Durham, but thought it would be quicker going via the A1 rather the A167 and it following the 7 too much, And good point regarding the GNEX21 actually.
(15 Apr 2015, 7:23 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]X21 - Sunderland - Ryhope - New Seaham - Dalton Park - Murton - South Hetton - Easington Lane - High Pittington - Sherburn Village - A1(M) Direct - Newton Aycliffe - Aycliffe Village - Harrowgate Hill - Darlington

your X22 is duplicating GNE routes, and also between South Hetton and Durham route, Arriva already done this route before and couldn't keep it running as a profit, this is why it had to be secured under DCC, and now GNE runs that route.

your X23, cheaper and quicker by train. and also if the service gets held up in city traffic etc.. it will cause a knock on effect at either end.

your X21, so u need more buses to do this service and it will run at a loss.
(15 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Not really sure about the X21 suggestion, very few people from Darlington and Newton Aycliffe get the current 21/X21 to Sunderland (in fact I wouldn't at all be surprised if me and Dan were the only people to go this far on the 21/X21).

ive done the 21 route before from Peterlee and never again, next time I get the 22 or 24 to Durham and board service 7.