North East Buses

Full Version: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
You know what it is? Why don't they just re-route the X21 between Bedlington Red Lion and Newcastle to run via Hartford Road rather than Nedderton but otherwise, keep everything else the same including the X22. Another service could be introduced to serve Nedderton.

Service X21:
- Re-routed via Hartford Road rather than Nedderton Lane between Bedlington and Newcastle to speed up journey times and improve reliability. Still every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday and every 60 minutes evenings and Sundays.

Service X22:
- Same route and still every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday and every 60 minutes evenings and Sundays.

Services X21 / X22 from Ashington to Bedlington and Newcastle:
- Still 6 buses per hour Monday to Saturday with a bus on average every 10 minutes (5-15 minutes) with the X21 offering the slightly quicker journey time out of the 2 between Ashington and Bedlington. Still 2 buses per hour during evenings and on Sundays with a bus on average every 30 minutes (25-35 minutes).

Services X21 / X22 from Bedlington to Newcastle:
- Still 6 buses per hour Monday to Saturday daytime with a bus every 10 minutes combined running the same route between Bedlington Red Lion and Newcastle. Still 2 buses per hour during evenings and on Sundays with a bus every 30 minutes.

Services X21 / X22 from Newcastle and Bedlington to Ashington:
- Still 6 buses per hour Monday to Saturday daytime with a bus every 10 minutes combined from Newcastle and Bedlington Red Lion to Ashington with the X21 offering the slightly quicker journey time out of the 2 between Bedlington and Ashington. Still 2 buses per hour during evenings and on Sundays with a bus every 30 minutes from Newcastle and Bedlington Red Lion to Ashington.
(01 Aug 2015, 12:05 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]You know what it is? Why don't they just re-route the X21 between Bedlington Red Lion and Newcastle to run via Hartford Road rather than Nedderton but otherwise, keep everything else the same including the X22. Another service could be introduced to serve Nedderton.

Service X21:
- Re-routed via Hartford Road rather than Nedderton Lane between Bedlington and Newcastle to speed up journey times and improve reliability. Still every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday and every 60 minutes evenings and Sundays.

Service X22:
- Same route and still every 20 minutes Monday to Saturday and every 60 minutes evenings and Sundays.

Services X21 / X22 from Ashington to Bedlington and Newcastle:
- Still 6 buses per hour Monday to Saturday with a bus on average every 10 minutes (5-15 minutes) with the X21 offering the slightly quicker journey time out of the 2 between Ashington and Bedlington.  Still 2 buses per hour during evenings and on Sundays with a bus on average every 30 minutes (25-35 minutes).

Services X21 / X22 from Bedlington to Newcastle:
- Still 6 buses per hour Monday to Saturday daytime with a bus every 10 minutes combined running the same route between Bedlington Red Lion and Newcastle. Still 2 buses per hour during evenings and on Sundays with a bus every 30 minutes.

Services X21 / X22 from Newcastle and Bedlington to Ashington:
- Still 6 buses per hour Monday to Saturday daytime with a bus every 10 minutes combined from Newcastle and Bedlington Red Lion to Ashington with the X21 offering the slightly quicker journey time out of the 2 between Bedlington and Ashington. Still 2 buses per hour during evenings and on Sundays with a bus every 30 minutes from Newcastle and Bedlington Red Lion to Ashington.

The Nedderton section of the X21 route helps maintain the 10 minute frequency though, if you have them both running down past the Hartlands, there will be a five, then 15 minute gap when arriving in Newcastle, which isn't much good, the current route allows the 10 minute frequency for majority of the routes (Newcastle, Regent Centre, Northumberlandia, Ashington). Because the X21 route from Ashington to Bedlington Red Lion is faster, it can never truly be every 10 minutes exactly in Bedlington, changing routes after Bedlington isn't going to change that.
(01 Aug 2015, 2:33 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]The Nedderton section of the X21 route helps maintain the 10 minute frequency though, if you have them both running down past the Hartlands, there will be a five, then 15 minute gap when arriving in Newcastle, which isn't much good, the current route allows the 10 minute frequency for majority of the routes (Newcastle, Regent Centre, Northumberlandia, Ashington). Because the X21 route from Ashington to Bedlington Red Lion is faster, it can never truly be every 10 minutes exactly in Bedlington, changing routes after Bedlington isn't going to change that.
If you read my post carefully, you'd actually find that both would leave and arrive in Ashington with 5/15 gaps but otherwise, they would both run every 10 minutes commonly combined between Bedlington Red Lion and Newcastle. Think of if the way that the Tynedale Express works with buses leaving Hexham at uneven intervals but commonly combining between the West End of Newcastle and Eldon Square.
The 5/15 gaps would only affect Ashington departures and arrivals. Plus, a big benefit for anybody travelling Northbound from Newcastle to Ashington (if they miss the X20 or else), is that both still technically run every 10 minutes but one is 5 mimutes quicker. This therefore avoids confusion whilst making sure that the services are kept relatively simple and easy to understand.
(01 Aug 2015, 2:36 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]If you read my post carefully, you'd actually find that both would leave and arrive in Ashington with 5/15 gaps but otherwise, they would both run every 10 minutes commonly combined between Bedlington Red Lion and Newcastle. Think of if the way that the Tynedale Express works with buses leaving Hexham at uneven intervals but commonly combining between the West End of Newcastle and Eldon Square.

Ah I was under the impression that you were still having the gap at Bedlington Undecided 

However, the West end of Bedlington still needs a bus service, and from what I've seen, the X21 is well used along that section of route. I've boarded there before, each time with at least one other person when Newcastle bound. The routes have been like that for nearly 3 years now, changing that would be massively confusing in my opinion, especially when the Sapphire X21/22 has been very well promoted with leaflets through doors etc.
(01 Aug 2015, 2:40 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Ah I was under the impression that you were still having the gap at Bedlington Undecided 

However, the West end of Bedlington still needs a bus service, and from what I've seen, the X21 is well used along that section of route. I've boarded there before, each time with at least one other person when Newcastle bound. The routes have been like that for nearly 3 years now, changing that would be massively confusing in my opinion, especially when the Sapphire X21/22 has been very well promoted with leaflets through doors etc.
If Arriva could do something with the 44 to avoid it loosing money (run it 5 minutes after the 43 between the bottom of Coach Lane and Newcastle , they could introduce a 42 service running from Bedlington to Newcastle like this:

- Bedlington, Nedderton, A1068, Seaton Burn Front Street, Wide Open Lockey Park then same route as the 43 / 45 to Newcastle. Services 42, 43, 45 would then combine every 7-8 minutes (15 evenings and Sundays between Wide Open (not just Gosforth Park) and Newcastle.
(01 Aug 2015, 2:40 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]The 5/15 gaps would only affect Ashington departures and arrivals. Plus, a big benefit for anybody travelling Northbound from Newcastle to Ashington (if they miss the X20 or else), is that both still technically run every 10 minutes but one is 5 mimutes quicker. This therefore avoids confusion whilst making sure that the services are kept relatively simple and easy to understand.

Yet, Ashington is the place where most people use the bus? 

The "easy peasy" 10minute frequency at Ashington & Newcastle is so its easy for Arriva staff to get across to passengers and easy for passengers to remember. 

The X21/X22 need to be left alone now, there is no problem with the routes. The Nedderton extension should stay as it will leave the area around Ridge Farm without a frequent bus service.
(01 Aug 2015, 2:45 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]If Arriva could do something with the 44 to avoid it loosing money (run it 5 minutes after the 43 between the bottom of Coach Lane and Newcastle , they could introduce a 42 service running from Bedlington to Newcastle like this:

- Bedlington, Nedderton, A1068, Seaton Burn Front Street, Wide Open Lockey Park then same route as the 43 / 45 to Newcastle. Services 42, 43, 45 would then combine every 7-8 minutes (15 evenings and Sundays between Wide Open (not just Gosforth Park) and Newcastle.

I don't really know how long that route would take, however, it looks as though it would take longer than the X21 currently does, can't see that being awfully appealing to residents. When Arriva are trying to improve services, that would be a massive step back. It would also be a bit of a bad move to take Sapphire away from those passengers, and instead use pretty much what used to be used on the X21- ALX400's, B10BLE's and Pulsars...
(01 Aug 2015, 2:45 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Yet, Ashington is the place where most people use the bus? 

The "easy peasy" 10minute frequency at Ashington & Newcastle is so its easy for Arriva staff to get across to passengers and easy for passengers to remember. 

The X21/X22 need to be left alone now, there is no problem with the routes. The Nedderton extension should stay as it will leave the area around Ridge Farm without a frequent bus service.
Well it's certainly not going to help create growth and now the X20 is being extended to Alnwick, there needs to be another quick or at least relatively quick bus that passengers can depend upon without being taken around the world.

People between Billy Mill and Willington Square have no problem with the 308 running 10 minutes after the 306 on that section of both routes and vice versa.

The only noticable difference to joe public is the 5/15 gaps from ONLY Ashington for journeys to Bedlington Newcastle. Other than that, it's a case of that they run every 10 minutes combined even Northbound from Newcastle and Bedlington unless people actually sat there and timed it.
(01 Aug 2015, 2:49 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]I don't really know how long that route would take, however, it looks as though it would take longer than the X21 currently does, can't see that being awfully appealing to residents. When Arriva are trying to improve services, that would be a massive step back. It would also be a bit of a bad move to take Sapphire away from those passengers, and instead use pretty much what used to be used on the X21- ALX400's, B10BLE's and Pulsars...

In that case, I'm all for it!  Big Grin
(01 Aug 2015, 2:52 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]In that case, I'm all for it!  Big Grin

Haha Wink you still missing 4852? Wink
(01 Aug 2015, 2:53 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Haha Wink you still missing 4852? Wink

The grieving process is a harsh and unforgiving route, but I'm getting there. Got my eye on 4920 at the moment. Fast as a bastard.
(01 Aug 2015, 2:49 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]I don't really know how long that route would take, however, it looks as though it would take longer than the X21 currently does, can't see that being awfully appealing to residents. When Arriva are trying to improve services, that would be a massive step back. It would also be a bit of a bad move to take Sapphire away from those passengers, and instead use pretty much what used to be used on the X21- ALX400's, B10BLE's and Pulsars...
The thing is though is that particular section of the X21 route is only a small part. And although passengers are just tolerating the de-tour now (or even just not using the bus), people from Bedlington Stn, Stakeford, parts of Ashington and particularly Newbiggin were very p****d off with Arriva when they first changed it.
(01 Aug 2015, 2:55 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]The grieving process is a harsh and unforgiving route, but I'm getting there. Got my eye on 4920 at the moment. Fast as a bastard.

No, no, no!!!

4920 and I will never be on good terms until it's scrapped. I had to put up with it on a daily basis on services 2A/2C for far too long after Deptford forgot they repaired its reverse gear...
(01 Aug 2015, 2:58 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]No, no, no!!!

4920 and I will never be on good terms until it's scrapped. I had to put up with it on a daily basis on services 2A/2C for far too long after Deptford forgot they repaired its reverse gear...

That's a bit harsh, Dan. That's like saying to somebody ''I won't be happy until you're dead''. Tongue

It didn't seem to have any problems when we needed to reverse after taking a wrong turn on the 96. Must be something Riverside had done to it.
(01 Aug 2015, 2:56 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]The thing is though is that particular section of the X21 route is only a small part. And although passengers are just tolerating the de-tour now (or even just not using the bus), people from Bedlington Stn, Stakeford, parts of Ashington and particularly Newbiggin were very p****d off with Arriva when they first changed it.

I'm tolerating the detour, yes. It doesn't bother me, I should be grateful that I still have a bus service which passes my house which gets me to Newcastle without having to change buses. I also use the X21 to get me to an easily accessible part of Plessey Woods with the family.

Some of your suggestions were to DOWNGRADE service X22 to MAX. This would be a massive step BACKWARDS for Ashington, Stakeford and Bedlington.
(01 Aug 2015, 3:03 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]I'm tolerating the detour, yes. It doesn't bother me, I should be grateful that I still have a bus service which passes my house which gets me to Newcastle without having to change buses. I also use the X21 to get me to an easily accessible part of Plessey Woods with the family.

Some of your suggestions were to DOWNGRADE service X22 to MAX. This would be a massive step BACKWARDS for Ashington, Stakeford and Bedlington.

''MAX'' is basically just ''Sapphire'' without the plug sockets. Hardly a massive step backwards. Tongue
(01 Aug 2015, 3:01 pm)R852 PRG wrote [ -> ]That's a bit harsh, Dan. That's like saying to somebody ''I won't be happy until you're dead''. Tongue

It didn't seem to have any problems when we needed to reverse after taking a wrong turn on the 96. Must be something Riverside had done to it.

Please don't tell it that I've been slagging it off on a public forum - it might break down on me next time I am forced to endure a ride on it... Tongue

It was placed on services 2A/2C as a temporary measure in 2013 while its reverse gear was repaired (as/when it was in the depot), but an error in communication meant that it was put on there much more long term with the "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro allocated to the "Laser" 35 group of services every day instead.

4923 on the other hand - that's one hell of a bus!
(01 Aug 2015, 3:03 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]I'm tolerating the detour, yes. It doesn't bother me, I should be grateful that I still have a bus service which passes my house which gets me to Newcastle without having to change buses. I also use the X21 to get me to an easily accessible part of Plessey Woods with the family.

I've actually had a rethink about that and I would just keep the X22 as it is now as it has worked well. The X21 however could do with a far quicker route particularly for people who live in Newbiggin again, meaning that they're less likely to add pressure onto the X20 by getting an X21 or 35 and changing in North Seaton or Ashington.
(01 Aug 2015, 3:05 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]
Please don't tell it that I've been slagging it off on a public forum - it might break down on me next time I am forced to endure a ride on it... Tongue

It was placed on services 2A/2C as a temporary measure in 2013 while its reverse gear was repaired (as/when it was in the depot), but an error in communication meant that it was put on there much more long term with the "Silver Arrows" branded Mercedes Citaro allocated to the "Laser" 35 group of services every day instead.

4923 on the other hand - that's one hell of a bus!

You work in Gateshead, you tell it yourself. Tongue

As for 4923, that, we can agree on. Always a pleasant ride.