North East Buses

Full Version: Anything and Everything
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(18 Jan 2016, 8:51 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]I still think you have to pay fees for Sunderland High.

Not sure, isn't it a grade listed building?

I would something decent would be good if they did become luxury apartments.

BusLoverMum may be referring to Grindon Hall Christian School. This was originally an independent school, like Sunderland High School, but was changed to become a free school in 2012. Sunderland High is the only independent school left in the city, which means that we'll be without one come the end of this academic school year.

As for the buildings being listed - yes, Langham Tower and Carlton House are both grade-listed buildings. Langham Tower is very appealing from the exterior, but less-so from inside. The foyer is very grand, but the main classrooms aren't quite as nice and a lot of work would need to be undertaken. Carlton House was primarily used as a Sixth Form building until a few years ago, when it was flooded, and resources were distributed amongst the other buildings owned by the school. I understand that it's more-or-less a write-off on the first floor, so, again, a lot of money would be required to restore this building.
Ah right, i kmow a few people who send theor kids to Grindon Hall.

Looks like it will take a lot of money to restore the inside of the buildings.
(18 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]BusLoverMum may be referring to Grindon Hall Christian School. This was originally an independent school, like Sunderland High School, but was changed to become a free school in 2012. Sunderland High is the only independent school left in the city, which means that we'll be without one come the end of this academic school year.

As for the buildings being listed - yes, Langham Tower and Carlton House are both grade-listed buildings. Langham Tower is very appealing from the exterior, but less-so from inside. The foyer is very grand, but the main classrooms aren't quite as nice and a lot of work would need to be undertaken. Carlton House was primarily used as a Sixth Form building until a few years ago, when it was flooded, and resources were distributed amongst the other buildings owned by the school. I understand that it's more-or-less a write-off on the first floor, so, again, a lot of money would be required to restore this building.

If it's anything like the Briery at St Aidan's, there would be no simple fix for any of it, either.
There's a biscuit shortage.

PANIIIICCC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(18 Jan 2016, 8:51 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Sunderland High was, as many of you know, the secondary school I attended from Year 7 through to the first year of Sixth Form (when I left, to go into the world of work). The announcement of the closure of the school came as quite a shock to both staff and students.

It's going to be a very difficult transition for those currently in Lower Sixth, as they will potentially have to re-sit their AS exams in another school, which will be a completely different environment.

One of the teachers has expressed an interest in me attending the school's final speech day, as a guest speaker. I'd be delighted to use this as an opportunity to say thank you to all of the teachers who helped me during my six years at the school, and to say my final goodbye.

You gonna goto the Final Speech Day mate? If you do I hope the speech goes well and is not too emotional...

What is left in terms of Independent Schools in this area with the upcoming closure of SHS???

I am guessing Durham and RGS for 13+ with Bow and Durham Choristers upto 13
(20 Jan 2016, 3:17 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]You gonna goto the Final Speech Day mate? If you do I hope the speech goes well and is not too emotional...

What is left in terms of Independent Schools in this area with the upcoming closure of SHS???

I think I will - it's the least I can do, really!

I'd forgotten about Argyle House before. This will be the only one left in Sunderland once SHS closes. Other than that, very few that's local.
(20 Jan 2016, 3:20 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I think I will - it's the least I can do, really!

I'd forgotten about Argyle House before. This will be the only one left in Sunderland once SHS closes. Other than that, very few that's local.

Dont see why not, you enjoyed your time there and you were asked...Hope it all goes well, Nearly became my school after Choristers but I failed the entrance test 😀
(20 Jan 2016, 3:17 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]You gonna goto the Final Speech Day mate? If you do I hope the speech goes well and is not too emotional...

A lot of the Newcastle schools have merged or become academies or Free schools, in the past decade. Kings in Tynemouth is a free school. Just checked and Polam Hall, in Darlo is a free school, now, too.

I've just done a seach for Independent schools in the NE on The Good Schools Guide website and that actually brings up 43 hits - some of those are special schools or out of date, mind (it lists Grindon Hall, for example). Even accounting for those, there'll be a few left, though.
Got a poster presentation tomorrow.... hate them but its only in front of 2 teachers so its not bad....

Also... my poster has 2.2k words on it... haha
With parts of America getting ready for this massive storm, The capital's transport system - the second busiest in the US - will shut over the weekend:

http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/metro_s...m?AID=5406
Rolls Royce opens new plant in Washington

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-35391104
(22 Jan 2016, 7:12 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]With parts of America getting ready for this massive storm, The capital's transport system - the second busiest in the US - will shut over the weekend:

http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/metro_s...m?AID=5406

Someone's time lapse of it in their garden!

https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeWeatherW...nref=story
Just spotted GNE 651 and a red kite streetlite on The Dumping Ground on CBBC! Looked like it might have been Consett bus station.

Had no idea it was filmed up here until Big'un recognised a landmark, the other week.
(29 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Just spotted GNE 651 and a red kite streetlite on The Dumping Ground on CBBC! Looked like it might have been Consett bus station.

Had no idea it was filmed up here until Big'un recognised a landmark, the other week.

Aye, the MetroCentre, Blyth Beach and Washington Services have appeared before.
(29 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Just spotted GNE 651 and a red kite streetlite on The Dumping Ground on CBBC! Looked like it might have been Consett bus station.

Forgot to watch this, lucky I recorded it.
Feeling old at work tonight... Joint 18th and 21st party.
(29 Jan 2016, 8:39 pm)idiot wrote [ -> ]Feeling old at work tonight... Joint 18th and 21st party.

My birthday in 6 days time.....and I will be old..haha!
(29 Jan 2016, 8:39 pm)idiot wrote [ -> ]Feeling old at work tonight... Joint 18th and 21st party.
I turned 22 on Wednesday and that's making me feel old!
(29 Jan 2016, 8:47 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I turned 22 on Wednesday and that's making me feel old!

22 and you feel old......try 41  Tongue
(29 Jan 2016, 8:50 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]22 and you feel old......try 41 
Haha

The college students on the 7 this afternoon just made me think about my misspent teenage years.