North East Buses

Full Version: Anything and Everything
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(17 Aug 2014, 3:24 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Of course it inconveniences the operator (as well as the passenger) - that is why the penalty fare is put in force by taxi operators.
The vehicle has to be taken out of service, cleaned, disinfected etc - whilst a replacement vehicle is sourced and dropped into place (with potentially a replacement driver at the wheel - possibly starting a shift earlier than planned, leading to problems further into his/her shift once hours are up).

Then there is any associated admin to complete for lost mileage etc

The inconvenience for the operator is massive.

I covered vehicles being taken out of service and the associated costs with another vehicle travelling light to the nearest point to the depot where that route serves in my post.

Buses are cleaned every night. Being done in the middle of the day isn't too much of a problem... Although the clean may not be as extensive, adding a little bit of disinfectant isn't too difficult. Replacement driver? Go North East has plenty of leading drivers for that - they wouldn't start their shift earlier than planned. I'm sure it'll work similarly with other bus operators too. The associated admin with lost mileage would be treated the same way as any other issue which causes lost mileage. I'm sure it's not too difficult...

I stand by what I said - very little inconvenience to the operator, and it's more so passengers that are inconvenienced. Penalty charges for the above would make up for any inconvenience to the operator, anyway...
(17 Aug 2014, 2:52 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]There's only so much I can say before we repeatedly cover the same ground and the debate gets a bit lifeless, but what I will say, is that you compare the above situation to taxis.

If you, on average, spend £80 to use taxis each month, and you happen to be sick once, you'd have to fork out the £30 penalty fare regardless of whether it was your fault because you'd consumed too much alcohol, or because of a genuine surprise illness which came about. What's the difference between that and on the bus?

Buses are a lot easier to clean and wont cost £30. Taxis have carpet flooring meaning more resources have to be used to clean the mess up.
(17 Aug 2014, 3:37 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I covered vehicles being taken out of service and the associated costs with another vehicle travelling light to the nearest point to the depot where that route serves in my post.

Buses are cleaned every night. Being done in the middle of the day isn't too much of a problem... Although the clean may not be as extensive, adding a little bit of disinfectant isn't too difficult. Replacement driver? Go North East has plenty of leading drivers for that - they wouldn't start their shift earlier than planned. I'm sure it'll work similarly with other bus operators too. The associated admin with lost mileage would be treated the same way as any other issue which causes lost mileage. I'm sure it's not too difficult...

I stand by what I said - very little inconvenience to the operator, and it's more so passengers that are inconvenienced. Penalty charges for the above would make up for any inconvenience to the operator, anyway...
Stagecoach don't have 'leading drivers'
(17 Aug 2014, 3:40 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ]Buses are a lot easier to clean and wont cost £30. Taxis have carpet flooring meaning more resources have to be used to clean the mess up.

Not really what I was getting at though... How much the penalty cost is doesn't matter.

(17 Aug 2014, 3:50 pm)mrnut85 wrote [ -> ]Stagecoach don't have 'leading drivers'

If they don't have something similar, Stagecoach (UK?) are rather foolish indeed. I know at Sunderland, supervisors often double up as drivers to cover mileage, as I'm friends with two of them...

EDIT: In fact, I know Lincoln has/had leading drivers - so I'm guessing it's just South Shields rather than Stagecoach UK...
(17 Aug 2014, 4:46 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Not really what I was getting at though... How much the penalty cost is doesn't matter.

If they don't have something similar, Stagecoach (UK?) are rather foolish indeed. I know at Sunderland, supervisors often double up as drivers to cover mileage, as I'm friends with two of them...

EDIT: In fact, I know Lincoln has/had leading drivers - so I'm guessing it's just South Shields rather than Stagecoach UK...
I think you'll find its a North East thing, I've worked at Stagecoach for 12 years so don't try and act like you know more than me. Stagecoach have Duty Managers that are in charge of allocating buses making sure buses are on time etc. Next we have Deputy Duty Managers who deal with Twitter, complaints, phone calls ect. The DDM can be used as a driver but this is in an extremely urgent requirement IE if all spare drivers and union are already on the road. Spare drivers are on specific rotas just like the rota I am on, we have 05:00 - 13:30 09:30 - 18:10 and 14:30 - 17:30 and the late shift rota has 15:00 - 24:00.
(17 Aug 2014, 5:16 pm)mrnut85 wrote [ -> ]I think you'll find its a North East thing, I've worked at Stagecoach for 12 years so don't try and act like you know more than me. Stagecoach have Duty Managers that are in charge of allocating buses making sure buses are on time etc. Next we have Deputy Duty Managers who deal with Twitter, complaints, phone calls ect. The DDM can be used as a driver but this is in an extremely urgent requirement IE if all spare drivers and union are already on the road. Spare drivers are on specific rotas just like the rota I am on, we have 05:00 - 13:30 09:30 - 18:10 and 14:30 - 17:30 and the late shift rota has 15:00 - 24:00.

So what you're saying is that they have something similar...
(17 Aug 2014, 5:19 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]So what you're saying is that they have something similar...
No, if I was saying that I would've said 'stagecoach have something similar' but I didn't
(17 Aug 2014, 5:20 pm)mrnut85 wrote [ -> ]No, if I was saying that I would've said 'stagecoach have something similar' but I didn't

So what is the point you're making? Are you telling us that South Shields also have non-driving staff that can double up as driving staff if there's an urgent requirement to do so?
(17 Aug 2014, 5:16 pm)mrnut85 wrote [ -> ]I think you'll find its a North East thing, I've worked at Stagecoach for 12 years so don't try and act like you know more than me. Stagecoach have Duty Managers that are in charge of allocating buses making sure buses are on time etc. Next we have Deputy Duty Managers who deal with Twitter, complaints, phone calls ect. The DDM can be used as a driver but this is in an extremely urgent requirement IE if all spare drivers and union are already on the road. Spare drivers are on specific rotas just like the rota I am on, we have 05:00 - 13:30 09:30 - 18:10 and 14:30 - 17:30 and the late shift rota has 15:00 - 24:00.

Now, now... This isn't a game of "Who knows the most", so don't turn it into that...

All I'm saying is that two of my family friends at Sunderland who are supervisors (clearly it might be a different title as you've gained this wisdom through working for the company for twelve years) are usually out and about in the City Centre making sure things are on time. You see similar at Blackett Street in Newcastle. You'll find these individuals at any events. When there were concerts at the Stadium of Light, these individuals guided people to the Wheatsheaf bus stop to get them home. There's a group of around five of them, and they're also found at the air show each and every year.

[Image: 14784749003_778d72c697.jpg]Stagecoach North East: 22082 / NK54BHA by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

These members of staff also double up as revenue protection staff, so they really do have a lot of variety and there's no set job that they do.

There have been times where they've gone out to cover mileage in another vehicle, as a result of a breakdown or something similar. Sunderland services are cross-city, so if there's a breakdown in the South of Sunderland, these individuals often take a vehicle to the North side of Sunderland and continue the service.

(17 Aug 2014, 5:19 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]So what you're saying is that they have something similar...

I think that's the polite way of putting it - because I think it works slightly different at Sunderland to what it does at South Shields...

What I've described above entails some of the duties of a leading driver, so Stagecoach North East definitely have something similar (or Sunderland does, at the very least)...
(17 Aug 2014, 5:27 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Now, now... This isn't a game of "Who knows the most", so don't turn it into that...

All I'm saying is that two of my family friends at Sunderland who are supervisors (clearly it might be a different title as you've gained this wisdom through working for the company for twelve years) are usually out and about in the City Centre making sure things are on time. You see similar at Blackett Street in Newcastle. You'll find these individuals at any events. When there were concerts at the Stadium of Light, these individuals guided people to the Wheatsheaf bus stop to get them home. There's a group of around five of them, and they're also found at the air show each and every year.

[Image: 14784749003_778d72c697.jpg]Stagecoach North East: 22082 / NK54BHA by danielgrahamm, on Flickr

These members of staff also double up as revenue protection staff, so they really do have a lot of variety and there's no set job that they do.

There have been times where they've gone out to cover mileage in another vehicle, as a result of a breakdown or something similar. Sunderland services are cross-city, so if there's a breakdown in the South of Sunderland, these individuals often take a vehicle to the North side of Sunderland and continue the service.

I think that's the polite way of putting it - because I think it works slightly different at Sunderland to what it does at South Shields...

What I've described above entails some of the duties of a leading driver, so Stagecoach definitely have something similar...
They don't double up as revenue protection, they are revenue protection that provide assistance at events such as the airshow. I'm not trying to make it a who knows more but one thing I hate is enthusiasts who try to tell bus company employees they are wrong are certain subjects. I'm not saying that is what you have tried with me but I have seen it myself and it really pisses me off.
(17 Aug 2014, 5:38 pm)mrnut85 wrote [ -> ]They don't double up as revenue protection, they are revenue protection that provide assistance at events such as the airshow. I'm not trying to make it a who knows more but one thing I hate is enthusiasts who try to tell bus company employees they are wrong are certain subjects. I'm not saying that is what you have tried with me but I have seen it myself and it really pisses me off.

I'm an enthusiast who has family links within Sunderland depot, as well as a lot of family friends as drivers, engineers, and whatever this 'supervisor' role is. I think NEB was the first to hear about the first batch of gas buses at Sunderland over a year ahead of their arrival, originally due to vague details given by myself (when it was just initially discussed from management to those further down the chain) and later confirmed by Kuyoyo a few weeks later when he'd managed to get details. You shouldn't assume that enthusiasts don't know a thing or two about the company. Some enthusiasts will know a hell of a lot more than employees, for certain companies... I'm not saying that applies here, but given your description of how it works at South Shields, I'm positive it works differently at Sunderland.

These lads aren't dedicated for revenue protection, as far as I know. From what I've been told, their job entails that the least - as they're more commonly found in the City Centre or at the Wheatsheaf making sure things are on time and assisting customers with any queries they may have, as I said before, similar to the ones on Blackett Street in Newcastle.

They do provide assistant at special events as I said before, and they also attend any accidents that occur. I'm not sure if you were driving on the day when Park Lane got shut off due to an accident with a GNE Laser bus at the entrance/exit of the Interchange, but two of the lads were out then too, guiding drivers and passengers at both Park Lane and Green Terrace.

As I said before, they cover for drivers if there's been a breakdown or something else which has caused the scheduled driver to be stuck at one end of the route. They're out on service 16 a lot as if something happens towards the Hastings Hill end of the route, they need to get another bus out from the Wheatsheaf to North Sunderland.

As a kid, I used to go out with them and just chat. I liked riding buses so these lads and some of the drivers who are family/family friends used to invite me out to go round with them. Was a bit of company for them too, if nothing else.

Like I say, these lads don't have a set job and every day is different - that's why they enjoy it so much. Next time one of them is round mine, I'll ask them what their official job title is (if I remember), and post back...
Remember that song.. love shine a light

Just noticed it says... let the love light carry and NOT let the love, light curry haha

As a 9 year old who heard it going to the school assembly.. i did sound like curry haha

--------------

Forgot how good Billy Elliot is... Julie Walters is brill in it, so is a young Jamie Bell.

My fav line has to be.... I'll show you my fanny if you want haha
Is it that bad i want it to snow, although it would be better after i come back from the lake district!
(19 Aug 2014, 2:53 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Has anyone been to Greggs today?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...rs-7637726

Me!

Saw a post on Facebook earlier about it - was so tempted to bring it up but the young lad who usually serves me wasn't in today.
(19 Aug 2014, 2:53 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Has anyone been to Greggs today?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...rs-7637726

Hackers?! ffs. Big Grin
While being off uni, i'm re-watching some of my fav tv shows...

Watched the walking dead seasons 1-3, gonna watch season 4 tomorrow... Season 5 starts in the UK on Monday the 13th, of October, day after America.

After i'm gonna watch Game Of Thrones season 1-4 again, season 5 will return in 2015....

Gonna watch breaking bad - haven't watch it yet so no spoilers!

then gonna re-watch some DVD's! haha Tongue
Nexus discussion forums close - http://www.nexus.org.uk/live-discussion-forum
(20 Aug 2014, 7:53 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Nexus discussion forums close - http://www.nexus.org.uk/live-discussion-forum

The died down quite a bit when they were moved a few years back from one area of the site, to another - I think a whole new board was set up too.