North East Buses

Full Version: Anything and Everything
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I didn't have any charge in my iPod, so I got to overhear a quality conversation on the bus, between two teenage lasses, and a teenage lad sitting across the aisle. Lad started talking to them pretty much as soon as they got on the bus, and they were talking for a good 5 minutes or so. The lad was doing most of the talking, and the two lasses were pretty much just answering what he was saying. Anyway, he started banging on about his girlfriend (that apparently went to the same school as them all), and kept trying to describe her in different ways, asking "do you remember her?". One of the lasses then turned round to him and says "No, and I don't actually remember you either!" - #Awkward
Scotland has voted No and our United Kingdom remains Smile
(19 Sep 2014, 6:24 am)Robert wrote [ -> ]Scotland has voted No and our United Kingdom remains Smile
Was just about to post this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/s...dence.html
(19 Sep 2014, 6:24 am)Robert wrote [ -> ]Scotland has voted No and our United Kingdom remains Smile
I have been a sad bastard and sat up all night watching the results come in Big Grin
I'm gutted!
(19 Sep 2014, 6:35 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]I'm gutted!
Gutted they voted no?
(19 Sep 2014, 6:36 am)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Gutted they voted no?

Yup.

Of course, even if they voted yes, it would've been highly unlikely that Scotland would be allowed to leave the UK. But I would have liked to see what the result would have been if not under the threat of big businesses leaving the country upon the return of a yes vote. Both sides used hyperbole but I think the 'No' campaign relied far too heavily on the negativity of a doomsday scenario.   
Still, there's 'Devo-MAX*' to look forward to.

*Not to be confused with Arriva MAX!
(19 Sep 2014, 6:42 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]Yup.

Of course, even if they voted yes, it would've been highly unlikely that Scotland would be allowed to leave the UK. But I would have liked to see what the result would have been if not under the threat of big businesses leaving the country upon the return of a yes vote. Both sides used hyperbole but I think the 'No' campaign relied far too heavily on the negativity of a doomsday scenario.   
I would have liked to have seen Yes win, just to see how negotiations would have went re: the £, the EU, Trident/Faslane etc...

I am now interested in seeing if they can find an answer to the West Lothian Question
(19 Sep 2014, 6:51 am)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]I would have liked to have seen Yes win, just to see how negotiations would have went re: the £, the EU, Trident/Faslane etc...

I am now interested in seeing if they can find an answer to the West Lothian Question

More or less the same reason why I would have liked to see Yes vote.

It would have made for interesting times on both sides of the border.
One good thing that has came from the whole affair is that it looks like 16 and 17 year-olds will be able to vote in future Scottish elections.

I imagine that the rest of the UK will follow suit within the next 10-15 years.
(19 Sep 2014, 6:53 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]More or less the same reason why I would have liked to see Yes vote.

It would have made for interesting times on both sides of the border.
Would what the goverment are talking about right now see the UK work along similar lines to the United States, with the home countries being fully devolved(or something along the lines of the 50 U.S states) and Westminster becoming something of a federal government...cant say I understand it enough to be honest...

Does it also mean the regions of England will want some kind of devolved power, I remember the North East decisively voting no on a regional parliament about 10 years ago...

Your thougts please
I really am quite shocked - I'd have put money on the 'Yes Campaign' winning.

Nevertheless, I am pleased. Change on such a huge scale, with possible downsides, isn't great (at least in my opinion).
(19 Sep 2014, 7:06 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]I really am quite shocked - I'd have put money on the 'Yes Campaign' winning.

Nevertheless, I am pleased. Change on such a huge scale, with possible downsides, isn't great (at least in my opinion).

What shocked me was the margin of victory...55:45 when I thought it would be closer to 50:50
55:45 is pretty damn close. If voter turnout was less, it would have been even closer.
(19 Sep 2014, 7:23 am)AdamY wrote [ -> ]55:45 is pretty damn close. If voter turnout was less, it would have been even closer.
I was only pointing out that virtually every single poll had it around 51:49 and 52:48...

The result is close compared to what any map will show you though
Maybe I am being cynical (obviously we have no way of knowing which way they voted), but the number of spoiled papers works out not far off the actual difference between the votes on both sides.
Official result. 3,623,344 voted. Yes 1,617,989. No 2,001,926. Rejected ballots 3429.

edit: my early morning stupor obviously can't do maths...
Good, it means in a few years time we wouldn't have to hear them bang on about how they want to re-join us!

Also means Piers Morgan has to fuck off to America! 

He said if the vote was "NO" he would go to America! 
(19 Sep 2014, 8:06 am)Michael wrote [ -> ]Good, it means in a few years time we wouldn't have to hear them bang on about how they want to re-join us!

Also means Piers Morgan has to fuck off to America! 

He said if the vote was "NO" he would go to America! 
And we could habe smugly flicked 2 fingers at them and told them tp fuck off
(19 Sep 2014, 8:20 am)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]And we could habe smugly flicked 2 fingers at them and told them tp fuck off

Now people are saying "fraud" videos of people forging "NO".... they need to stop being so bitter............................