North East Buses

Full Version: September Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06 Aug 2021, 11:31 am)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]Originally, yes on the timetable page, the 47/47A were listed as non-X-Lines services with the service number in white on a red background.
Now however, it has reverted back to the X-Lines Green on Gold - possibly a short-term issue pending it being separated off the X45/X46 timetable,

Admittedly, I haven't looked at the timetable since last night so I imagine you're right about it being a short-term fix until the services are timetablally separated.
(06 Aug 2021, 8:50 am)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]I'm not seeing that on any of the information unless I'm being blind

I did raise an eyebrow at the apparent loss of the Chester-QE Hospital link so maybe they've changed their mind?

Personally I find the Market Street terminus a bit of pain as my connecting bus is Eldon Square.

Interesting the X72 and its tour of Lobley Hill.  Flies in the face of the initial X-Lines concept a bit, think I'd be a bit miffed if I were a longer distance passenger having to see the sights of Lobley Hill.  That right turn on to Lobley Hill bank won't do any favours for timekeeping at peak times either.
(06 Aug 2021, 11:35 am)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Admittedly, I haven't looked at the timetable since last night so I imagine you're right about it being a short-term fix until the services are timetablally separated.

Does look like the evening journeys will be allocated X-Lines vehicles as it does appear the 47/X30/X45/X72 will all interwork on an evening (and Sunday daytimes will see the X45/X46 interwork with the X30/X72 in Newcastle - so unlikely to see the Streetdecks on X45/X46s on Sundays).
The 39 to Doxford Park has been fairly quiet the past few times I've done it so a Solo would be more than adequate. Anyone familiar with Doxford International and the parked cars that used to be literally everywhere cannot fail to notice the distinct lack of cars around the area now.

The 33 and 38 will be branded Solos but two different colours and names and different again from the 39.

Service 62 will be operated by Deptford.
(06 Aug 2021, 11:36 am)Chris 1 wrote [ -> ] I did raise an eyebrow at the apparent loss of the Chester-QE Hospital link so maybe they've changed their mind? 

Personally I find the Market Street terminus a bit of pain as my connecting bus is Eldon Square.

Interesting the X72 and its tour of Lobley Hill.  Flies in the face of the initial X-Lines concept a bit, think I'd be a bit miffed if I were a longer distance passenger having to see the sights of Lobley Hill.  That right turn on to Lobley Hill bank won't do any favours for timekeeping at peak times either.

They were pushing the 'use the 25 and change at Wrekenton to get to the QE' patter at the time of the original changes.
Obviously that option is still there and people can still use the same stop outside Aldi.
With the Chester bound 25, not stopping at the bus link 'to aid reliability', there's a bit of a hike for the return journey.
Barriers to using public transport? What barriers...
(06 Aug 2021, 11:51 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]They were pushing the 'use the 25 and change at Wrekenton to get to the QE' patter at the time of the original changes.
Obviously that option is still there and people can still use the same stop outside Aldi.
With the Chester bound 25, not stopping at the bus link 'to aid reliability', there's a bit of a hike for the return journey.

Surely that's more of an issue for trains...
(06 Aug 2021, 11:49 am)morritt89 wrote [ -> ]The 39 to Doxford Park has been fairly quiet the past few times I've done it so a Solo would be more than adequate. Anyone familiar with Doxford International and the parked cars that used to be literally everywhere cannot fail to notice the distinct lack of cars around the area now.

The 33 and 38 will be branded Solos but two different colours and names and different again from the 39.

Are you sure? Because if so I think the 65 will be a deptford then.
(06 Aug 2021, 11:53 am)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]Are you sure? Because if so I think the 65 will be a deptford then.

I'm sure MORRITT89 works for GNE.

65 should be operated by Peterlee because if it was ran by Deptford, the lost mileage would be high.
(06 Aug 2021, 12:00 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]I'm sure MORRITT89 works for GNE.

65 should be operated by Peterlee because if it was ran by Deptford, the lost mileage would be high.

I don't think it would be that high, as depford & peterlee is basically the same distance, but the 62 will have high mileage ?
Other random musings, slightly disappointed to see the demise of the 90.  A Winlaton-Team Valley workers service has existed for years, normally seemed to be a few on it whenever I saw it.  Admittedly pre covid.

Not so sure on the theory of advising Gateshead bound passengers from the X30/31 to change at Sunniside either.  Unless things have improved since the last time I was through there, Is there even a shelter or just a stop on the main street?  Having to make that connection on a cold winters morning and hoping your bus from Consett has made it through unscathed is a sure fire vote winner...

The splitting of the 12 and 12A and Winlaton is curious.  Doesn't seem like 5 minutes since the 'cross Winlaton links' were being lauded as an improvement for passengers.

Though on balance, not all negative.

Be interesting if the likes of Stagecoach go for wholesale changes or continue with stability and familiarity.
(06 Aug 2021, 11:51 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]They were pushing the 'use the 25 and change at Wrekenton to get to the QE' patter at the time of the original changes.

There's a wider issue with the ridiculous road layout in Wrekenton which doesn't help things. Would the extra few minutes in traffic really have made a difference to the magical mystery tour the poor souls of Langley Park already have to take?
(06 Aug 2021, 12:08 pm)Chris 1 wrote [ -> ]Other random musings, slightly disappointed to see the demise of the 90.  A Winlaton-Team Valley workers service has existed for years, normally seemed to be a few on it whenever I saw it.  Admittedly pre covid.

Not so sure on the theory of advising Gateshead bound passengers from the X30/31 to change at Sunniside either.  Unless things have improved since the last time I was through there, Is there even a shelter or just a stop on the main street?  Having to make that connection on a cold winters morning and hoping your bus from Consett has made it through unscathed is a sure fire vote winner...

The splitting of the 12 and 12A and Winlaton is curious.  Doesn't seem like 5 minutes since the 'cross Winlaton links' were being lauded as an improvement for passengers.

Though on balance, not all negative.

Be interesting if the likes of Stagecoach go for wholesale changes or continue with stability and familiarity.
Shelter on either side, to be fair on the occasions I have done the X31 it's been pretty much empty at Sunniside (Stanley bound), those that have gone on to Stanley have usually boarded at Newcadtle (very few if any boarding at Gateshead).

(06 Aug 2021, 12:12 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]There's a wider issue with the ridiculous road layout in Wrekenton which doesn't help things. Would the extra few minutes in traffic really have made a difference to the magical mystery tour the poor souls of Langley Park already have to take?
In reality how many people actually travel from Langley Park all the way to Newcastle?, from experience of running the route 5+ years ago I found most would get off at CLS and change onto the X21/21.
(06 Aug 2021, 12:12 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ] There's a wider issue with the ridiculous road layout in Wrekenton which doesn't help things. Would the extra few minutes in traffic really have made a difference to the magical mystery tour the poor souls of Langley Park already have to take?

I'm sure operators had a say in the layout of the bus gate/barriers when Gateshead Council installed them.
However, their concerns were different then. They didn't have the 25 getting stuck in traffic around the back of Aldi (or the Co-op as it was then).

The fact they're having to make these changes a year after introducing the 25, makes me think that they were never aware of the problems that exist behind Aldi and it was a new thing for them. 
Not the sort of thing that's been there for years and has influenced the routing of services around Wrekenton for years.
(06 Aug 2021, 11:49 am)morritt89 wrote [ -> ]The 39 to Doxford Park has been fairly quiet the past few times I've done it so a Solo would be more than adequate. Anyone familiar with Doxford International and the parked cars that used to be literally everywhere cannot fail to notice the distinct lack of cars around the area now.

Seems a little strange that Deptford is operating the 62 but Peterlee doing the 65, realistically running light from Peterlee or Deptford to Seaham is probably about the same, with 65 going full size bus I’d assume Deptford would have took that too especially considering the later evening and Sunday journeys. Can we assume 62 will be branded something other than Peterlee Purples and Solo or Versa? Also what about the 62A I’m assuming that will be solo and will that be a Peterlee Purple branded? Seems messy, it would have been better keeping the 208 for the estate service and just coordinate the 62 as they have done so 62 & 208 combined provide a bus every 30 minute from Easington Colliery, Horden and Peterlee. 

As for other changes, Wingate and Station Town seemingly a loser here with GNE saying use Arriva services! 206 replaces the 55 loop but the 202 isn’t replaced on the section south of Peterlee. Maybe it’s low usage, but with the Arriva X21/X22 only going to Peterlee I do wonder if extending the X6 that way to replace the 202 could have kept the quick link to Peterlee and provide faster services to Seaham and Sunderland than previously had with the 202 and 55 respectively. 

The X1 extensions strike me as a little unwarranted, they’re not replacing any routes and are just new links to Washington and while new links are good, I do wonder if they’re needed. I do wonder if an opportunity wasn’t missed to keep the Seaham-Houghton link by routing a X1 to Dalton Park after Houghton via Seaton and Seaham. Creating new links between Dalton Park and Seaham to and from Washington and Newcastle but also maintaining links between Seaham and Houghton and a service in Seaton which has always been provided. Although I do think it’s a shame more wasn’t done to make the 71 work and promote that service and the new links created only a year ago before withdrawing it. 

204/204A appears to be going unbranded and appears to now be standalone, which makes sense. Although it’s strange for it to keep the 204 numbering which is part of the Peterlee sequence of services. Also 204A is such a long service number. Just give it a generic two digit number, 18/18A for instance. As already pointed out the opportunity could have been taken to renumber the other 2xx series, with now many holes in the numbering with services withdrawn or replaced. 

It is really good to see an effort made with the 65 service, I always thought it was a mistake a few years ago when it was stripped back. As many on here have pointed out in the past, stripping back services to the bare bones doesn’t encourage usage. A Sunday service was long overdue, that fact that there was no bus between from Seaham to Dalton Park and Murton on a Sunday was always a massive hole, but also to Hetton and Durham. I hope it’s well used.
I do apologise, I meant the new Sunderland to Peterlee 62 is from Deptford. Bit confused with all these changes haha
Forgot to ask yesterday,with the introduction of the 41A,will both be hourly round Howdon,Rosehill and Holy Cross or will the 41 still be half hourly and 41A hourly?,it wasnt very detailed in the article
(06 Aug 2021, 12:57 pm)morritt89 wrote [ -> ]I do apologise,  I meant the new Sunderland to Peterlee 62 is from Deptford. Bit confused with all these changes haha
What about the 65?
(06 Aug 2021, 7:45 am)cbma06 wrote [ -> ]Since out of the 200’s series in east Durham that the 201/206/209/210 and 204 will be left, don’t know why there can’t renumber them all to double digits series in the 60’s series to compliment service 60,61, 62/62A and 65 in east Durham areas

201 = 67
204 = 68
206 = 66
209 = 63
210 = 64

Since the Peterlee solos will be branded as Peterlee Purples, I would of expected them branded as little purples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd do it like this, re-number the current 67 and 69,which would allow for this
201=63
204/204A=64/64A
206=66
209=67
210=68
Then 69 could be left unused incase of any potential future routes
Current 67=79 and current 69/69B=80/80A
I believe the 65 is staying at Peterlee but not sure of the vehicle type to be used. However if my memory is right, hasn't the service been operated by both Deptford (East Lancs Olympians) and Chester Le Street (may be going back a few years here)?
(06 Aug 2021, 1:13 pm)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]I'd do it like this, re-number the current 67 and 69,which would allow for this
201=63
204/204A=64/64A
206=66
209=67
210=68
Then 69 could be left unused incase of any potential future routes
Current 67=79 and current 69/69B=80/80A

I wouldn’t put the 204/204A as a 64/64A as it might confuse passengers at sherburn with Arriva 64 route, I would change the number 55 to the 60’s series so the number 55 can be used at Gateshead area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk