North East Buses

Full Version: September Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(29 Jul 2021, 7:44 am)DH9 wrote [ -> ]Okay, so if the X72 goes via Gateshead to Newcastle, that leaves the Catchgate / Annfield Plain area without a direct link to the Metrocentre.

Hmm...
Guess the data shows there's not much patronage to require a direct link and the connection still available via Stanley. Some of the upcoming changes are baffling to most of us, but we don't see the data that the commercial team have based these changes on.
Wouldn't removing direct links force more people off the bus and into cars though. I thought that they wanted more passengers on buses.
While I'm here, any changes to the 16 and 16A?
(29 Jul 2021, 8:55 am)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]Wouldn't removing direct links force more people off the bus and into cars though. I thought that they wanted more passengers on buses.
It seems like every single time there's a round of changes, more and more direct links get removed.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
(29 Jul 2021, 10:28 am)big mac wrote [ -> ]It seems like every single time there's a round of changes, more and more direct links get removed.

Then they let you know at the last minute that your losing direct links
(29 Jul 2021, 10:31 am)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Then they let you know at the last minute that your losing direct links
Exactly. With there being so many changes seemingly this time, GNE should put these on the website as early as possible to give people time to prepare for them. Recently they've been putting them on less than a week before they happen

(29 Jul 2021, 10:28 am)big mac wrote [ -> ]It seems like every single time there's a round of changes, more and more direct links get removed.

Obviously we don't know the full changes, but I personally would take the removal of direct links if it meant opening up links to more destinations
(29 Jul 2021, 10:45 am)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]Obviously we don't know the full changes, but I personally would take the removal of direct links if it meant opening up links to more destinations

X21 is being cancelled completely. There's going to be a new hub in Bishop, with services to Darlington, Barnard Castle and Durham.
The buses go all over the place to get to their destination and the journey to Gateshead or Newcastle will now take 2x as long, including connection times.

You a fan of that?
Means getting on and off the bus, journeys are longer and the section between Durham and Newcastle is consolidated in to one route - the 21.
Your one (or two depending on the time of the day) bus, is now 3 separate vehicles. There's very little in the way of reliable connections either.
(29 Jul 2021, 11:01 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]X21 is being cancelled completely. There's going to be a new hub in Bishop, with services to Darlington, Barnard Castle and Durham.
The buses go all over the place to get to their destination and the journey to Gateshead or Newcastle will now take 2x as long, including connection times.

You a fan of that?
Means getting on and off the bus, journeys are longer and the section between Durham and Newcastle is consolidated in to one route - the 21.

If, hypothetically they split the X21 at Durham, but in return offered services to places like Crook, Newton Aycliffe, and Darlington, I'd personally consider that a worthy trade off.
(29 Jul 2021, 11:07 am)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]If, hypothetically they split the X21 at Durham, but in return offered services to places like Crook, Newton Aycliffe, and Darlington, I'd personally consider that a worthy trade off.

But it hasn't. You can't negotiate with bus operators. You get what you're given. Whether you like it or not.
Durham, Darlington and Barnard Castle are the destinations from this new hub in Bishop.

That scenario I've given is the situation you're now in.
Not too dissimilar to the one people in Annfield Plain or Catchgate could find themselves in if the rumours are true.
Mind, I'm not sure whether they're getting any new destinations at all. You're quite lucky!
(29 Jul 2021, 11:09 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]But it hasn't. You can't negotiate with bus operators. You get what you're given. Whether you like it or not.
Durham, Darlington and Barnard Castle are the destinations from this new hub in Bishop.

That scenario I've given is the situation you're now in.
Not too dissimilar to the one people in Annfield Plain or Catchgate could find themselves in if the rumours are true.
Mind, I'm not sure whether they're getting any new destinations at all. You're quite lucky!

This hypothetical or what's actually happening as if so it sounds terrible. Just sounds like pointless competition against Arriva for the sake of it and it'll just end up with a worse service for everyone.
(29 Jul 2021, 11:15 am)Storx wrote [ -> ]This hypothetical or what's actually happening as if so it sounds terrible. Just sounds like pointless competition against Arriva for the sake of it and it'll just end up with a worse service for everyone.

Ah yeah, all completely hypothetical and made up. 
Just wanted to know what Streetdeckfan would think of it, bearing in mind the comments which were made previously about potentially being in favour of direct links being lost if new destinations were opened up.
(29 Jul 2021, 11:20 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Ah yeah, all completely hypothetical and made up. 
Just wanted to know what Streetdeckfan would think of it, bearing in mind the comments which were made previously about potentially being in favour of direct links being lost if new destinations were opened up.

Was going to say, sounds like the OK1 all over again which failed massively. Wouldn't put it against them to try it again.
I've seen the memo at my depot and there seems to be several interesting changes (some which I would describe as reverse changes - things going back they were before) plus some new routes and ammendments to routes. The X20 is being withdrawn from Rainton Bridge but is being diverted elsewhere so times should be the same.
(27 Jul 2021, 11:08 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I vaguely remember seeing either Dan or MG on Twitter saying there were no plans to serve IKEA/Metrocentre car parks again due to low usage. 

Maybe things have changed?
It's not like the walk from the asda stop to the store entrance is any longer than that from the ikea car park stop to the entrance. There's buses from the back of the store, too, which are probably handier for passengers from over the river.

If the x21 became the 21 between Durham and Newcastle, that would probably tip me over into deliberately catching the x12, as the 21 takes almost twice as long as the x21, these days.

If the x21 became the 21 between Durham and Newcastle, that would probably tip me over into deliberately catching the x12, as the 21 takes almost twice as long as the x21, these days.
(29 Jul 2021, 11:38 am)morritt89 wrote [ -> ]I've seen the memo at my depot and there seems to be several interesting changes (some which I would describe as reverse changes - things going back they were before) plus some new routes and ammendments to routes. The X20 is being withdrawn from Rainton Bridge but is being diverted elsewhere so times should be the same.
Are they reversing the 14 and X20 merging then?
(29 Jul 2021, 9:16 am)DH9 wrote [ -> ]While I'm here, any changes to the 16 and 16A?
Termination point change beyond Consett, Castleside section replaced with new service. New links for folk from Castleside, Moorside and the Grove. No passengers carried on through to Durham in reality.
(29 Jul 2021, 12:33 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]Termination point change beyond Consett, Castleside section replaced with new service. New links for folk from Castleside, Moorside and the Grove. No passengers carried on through to Durham in reality.

16 replacing V1/2?

Now the dust has settled and we've had a chance to look properly there's a fair few new links being created, some journeys speeded up and where routes were duplicated (running a few mins behind) are being removed. Time will tell how these are seen in all honesty. But as usual not all will be happy.

(29 Jul 2021, 12:34 pm)User2613 wrote [ -> ]16 replacing V1/2?
Services to the delves are not being touched. X5 will continue as normal but will follow a new route around shotley. No mid afternoon break as it is now.
(29 Jul 2021, 12:37 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]Now the dust has settled and we've had a chance to look properly there's a fair few new links being created, some journeys speeded up and where routes were duplicated (running a few mins behind) are being removed. Time will tell how these are seen in all honesty. But as usual not all will be happy.

I think if people saw the data behind the changes they would understand. If services are vastly underused or one section of the route is always dead, then pointless running them to  carry fresh air.

No doubt we'll have another 925 scenario to maintain like for the 2 people that used the lost link.