North East Buses

Full Version: September Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Blinkin heck,nexus are early,new timetables up in Wallsend
(02 Sep 2021, 11:27 am)54APhotography wrote [ -> ]9068 is allox 6175
Forgot that was free. That means if (and hopefully) the Ex Scotland B9s are kept for the red kite ranger they'd be numbered 6177-6182
(02 Sep 2021, 12:13 pm)GNE6312 wrote [ -> ]Forgot that was free. That means if (and hopefully) the Ex Scotland B9s are kept for the red kite ranger they'd be numbered 6177-6182
It's still not refreshed , a covid victim and of course back of the queue with paint...
Those B9 are decent, be ideal for the 47, must have five years life in them, worth an upgrade to Euro 6
(02 Sep 2021, 12:17 pm)54APhotography wrote [ -> ]It's still not refreshed , a covid victim and of course back of the queue with paint...
Those B9 are decent, be ideal for the 47, must have five years life in them, worth an upgrade to Euro 6
Tbh I would rather have the coaster buses a must say. A massive downgrade for the 47, I think many people who use the 47 will be quite angry. But where will the 7 Ex-Coasters go which are unneeded. 3 to Deptford, 3 to Washington 1 Spare.
(02 Sep 2021, 12:32 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]Tbh I would rather have the coaster buses a must say. A massive downgrade for the 47, I think many people who use the 47 will be quite angry. But where will the 7 Ex-Coasters go which are unneeded. 3 to Deptford, 3 to Washington 1 Spare.

It is possible that 6065-70 could be converted to euro6 B5 by July 2022.
(02 Sep 2021, 12:47 pm)54APhotography wrote [ -> ]It is possible that 6065-70 could be converted to euro6 B5 by July 2022.
Yeah I mean, to get buses which are 12 years older. With i don't even think Wifi is a massive downgrade, and if that does happen i'd imagine people will be fuming. Imagine getting a lovely new bus with wireless charging/usb/tables....then getting seats without a head rest and nothing else.
(02 Sep 2021, 12:49 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]Yeah I mean, to get buses which are 12 years older. With i don't even think Wifi is a massive downgrade, and if that does happen i'd imagine people will be fuming. Imagine getting a lovely new bus with wireless charging/usb/tables....then getting seats without a head rest and nothing else.

I have a friend who uses the X47 to get to and from work every day, and when I told her she'd probably be losing the new buses she wasn't happy like!

She complained when one of the Diamond B5s turned up instead of a StreetDeck last night!
(02 Sep 2021, 12:57 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I have a friend who uses the X47 to get to and from work every day, and when I told her she'd probably be losing the new buses she wasn't happy like!

She complained when one of the Diamond B5s turned up instead of a StreetDeck last night!
I don't blame her, especially when it is advertised as XLINES.
(02 Sep 2021, 1:13 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]I don't blame her, especially when it is advertised as XLINES.
Except the 47 isnt advertised X-Lines now,its Red Kite Ranger
GNE prob wouldn't have to make so many cuts if drivers were trying to discourage ridership. One of my friends just had a driver on the 30 saying that him and other drivers think it's a big no-no for him (and other people) to go riding around on buses as there's a pandemic. All he did was wanted a return from Stanley to Lanchester to tick off 6916.
Do passengers really complain that much whether or not a bus is new or how old it is? I'm not denying passengers could be saying this but at one time people where not that bothered so much about a bus' age just as long as it was reliable, got them where they wanted, it was safe and comfortable enough. There were buses like the MCW Metrobuses and Leyland Olympians that were running on main stream services up until around the mid noughties and they must have been getting on for 25-30 years old by the time they were withdrawn. These buses were more reliable than some of the newer models at the time. Now if anyone says a bus is 10 years or older that they are old! I know that GNE and other operators are expected to meet emissons targets every year but it just shows sadly that a lot of stuff now isn't built to last as long and thats such a shame given the millions of pounds invested in new buses year on year. I was at Seaburn rally on Monday and it was a joy to see stuff like the Metrobuses and Olympians etc which are still as solid as a rock.
(02 Sep 2021, 3:46 pm)Washingtonian wrote [ -> ]Do passengers really complain that much whether or not a bus is new or how old it is? I'm not denying passengers could be saying this but at one time people where not that bothered so much about a bus' age just as long as it was reliable, got them where they wanted, it was safe and comfortable enough. There were buses like the MCW Metrobuses and Leyland Olympians that were running on main stream services up until around the mid noughties and they must have been getting on for 25-30 years old by the time they were withdrawn. These buses were more reliable than some of the newer models at the time. Now if anyone says a bus is 10 years or older that they are old! I know that GNE and other operators are expected to meet emissons targets every year but it just shows sadly that a lot of stuff now isn't built to last as long and thats such a shame given the millions of pounds invested in new buses year on year. I was at Seaburn rally on Monday and it was a joy to see stuff like the Metrobuses and Olympians etc which are still as solid as a rock.
I think if they've been used to a new bus on their route and all of a sudden get a much older one, then it's likely to wind people up a bit.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
(02 Sep 2021, 3:54 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]I think if they've been used to a new bus on their route and all of a sudden get a much older one, then it's likely to wind people up a bit.

It's exactly that. My friend either gets the 10A or the X47, so she isn't exactly opposed to a 62 plate bus. It's the fact that the route was upgraded to X-Lines with the fancy new buses, and then demoted back down within the space of a year!

IMO, the 47 should never have been X-Lines in the first place.
(02 Sep 2021, 3:46 pm)Washingtonian wrote [ -> ]Do passengers really complain that much whether or not a bus is new or how old it is? I'm not denying passengers could be saying this but at one time people where not that bothered so much about a bus' age just as long as it was reliable, got them where they wanted, it was safe and comfortable enough. There were buses like the MCW Metrobuses and Leyland Olympians that were running on main stream services up until around the mid noughties and they must have been getting on for 25-30 years old by the time they were withdrawn. These buses were more reliable than some of the newer models at the time. Now if anyone says a bus is 10 years or older that they are old! I know that GNE and other operators are expected to meet emissons targets every year but it just shows sadly that a lot of stuff now isn't built to last as long and thats such a shame given the millions of pounds invested in new buses year on year. I was at Seaburn rally on Monday and it was a joy to see stuff like the Metrobuses and Olympians etc which are still as solid as a rock.
I wont lie,i complained loads when they shoved the old solos on the Little Coasters
(02 Sep 2021, 2:53 pm)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Except the 47 isnt advertised X-Lines now,its Red Kite Ranger
True, however to go from XLINES to a 12 years old bus. Why do that.Are they even staying.
(02 Sep 2021, 4:25 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]It's exactly that. My friend either gets the 10A or the X47, so she isn't exactly opposed to a 62 plate bus. It's the fact that the route was upgraded to X-Lines with the fancy new buses, and then demoted back down within the space of a year!

IMO, the 47 should never have been X-Lines in the first place.
The X45 and X46 shouldn't be either, really, as it's only a small section of the route that's non-stop. I don't think you can stick an X on the front of a service number unless it's limited stop for the majority of its route.

That's fair enough and I can see where you are all coming from, particularly about new buses being replaced with much older ones not long after receiving an upgrade. I do think however it would be nice to see new buses that are bought being placed on a route and it lasting on that route for a decent period of time. I think the duration the buses have generally lasted on the 4 and X1 are about right, with upgrades every 10 years or so. That;s fair enough for the core routes really. Suppose that's just the way I am really as I get attached to certain buses and find it a bit sad when they move on. I was a bit disappointed when they moved the B9s on from the X1 as I always loved a ride on those.
(01 Sep 2021, 9:37 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]So what is GNE's ebus plans. Personally after the investment Consett has gotten they should stay away from that for atleast 4 years.

Contrary to popular believe, GNE don't have a money tree in the car park at Queen Street, so I wouldn't get over-excited about investment beyond what has gone into changing the network for beyond this week. I'd imagine like most companies, Go Ahead Group's cheque book being opened will largely depend on customer levels returning close to pre-pandemic levels, whether that be by the return of previous travel plans or the encouraging of new travel plans, through incentives like the £1 evening fare offer.

(02 Sep 2021, 12:57 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I have a friend who uses the X47 to get to and from work every day, and when I told her she'd probably be losing the new buses she wasn't happy like!

I have some sympathy and I think this is a problem with overselling. There's that much focus put into how good Xlines is (and I do think its something they should shout about), that when anything else turns up, it's chalk and cheese from what you've been used to. I'd say evening X30 customers probably think the same, when there's a few runs picked up by Riverside using 10+ year old buses. Not ideal.

(02 Sep 2021, 3:19 pm)Rapidsnap wrote [ -> ]GNE prob wouldn't have to make so many cuts if drivers were trying to discourage ridership. One of my friends just had a driver on the 30 saying that him and other drivers think it's a big no-no for him (and other people) to go riding around on buses as there's a pandemic. All he did was wanted a return from Stanley to Lanchester to tick off 6916.

That's a bit alarming if drivers are trying to discourage ridership. The company's message is that it is safe to travel, there's no restrictions on doing so, so their personal opinions shouldn't be coming into play. If someone wants to pay their money to 'tick off' a bus, then that is up to them.

I personally don't mind an older vehicle (say 15 years old) as long as it meets the specification promised on the route.

If I'm getting the X21, I expect to get a bus with high-back seats, WiFi, USB ports and tables as that is what is advertised. Anything less I consider to be false advertising.
If you go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac, and get given a saver menu hamburger, you wouldn't be happy. If they turn around and say "well, it's still food", you'd tell them to shove it. So why is it alright for an operator to turn around and says "it's still a bus" and that's the end of it?

As for the likes of the Olympians, the reason they're still 'solid as a rock' is because people will have spent far more than the vehicle is worth restoring them, and keeping them on the road!
(02 Sep 2021, 7:16 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]I personally don't mind an older vehicle (say 15 years old) as long as it meets the specification promised on the route.

If I'm getting the X21, I expect to get a bus with high-back seats, WiFi, USB ports and tables as that is what is advertised. Anything less I consider to be false advertising.
If you go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac, and get given a saver menu hamburger, you wouldn't be happy. If they turn around and say "well, it's still food", you'd tell them to shove it. So why is it alright for an operator to turn around and says "it's still a bus" and that's the end of it?

As for the likes of the Olympians, the reason they're still 'solid as a rock' is because people will have spent far more than the vehicle is worth restoring them, and keeping them on the road!
I would rather get 6334/5 over the 67' Plates ngl.