North East Buses

Full Version: September Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got a bit of a question for the X1 to Dalton Park (in terms of NSA) it says Station Road, Church Lane & Dalton Park but won't say any of the others like Murton.

Is this just the cut down version of other NSA from other routes
(09 Sep 2021, 9:36 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]Was on the 62 from Peterlee to Dalton Park yesterday. While the service I got on just about got away with it I not sure using the small Solos on there is going to be a good idea long term as it got quite busy. 

The X1 when I seen it at about 2:50 seemed to get a decent load from Dalton Park as well I nearly got on it myself but because of the heat decided to get on the 23 and come home instead.  I not sure who responsible for the bus stop at Dalton park but one bus stop for the amount of services and how frequent some of them are is no longer going to work I think they might be better off building a small bus Station there instead although not sure where it could go. But when 3 buses often come together the small stand is not good enough and a small could allow more services to go there with more terminating there.
There little room for a small bus station. The road system at Dalton is terrible. That needs fixing immediately. Coming up the A19 on Bank Holiday Monday (30th Aug), I witnessed how bad it was. Even running extra buses won’t deter car users, as most GNE or ANE services go around too many houses.
(09 Sep 2021, 10:42 pm)Economic505 wrote [ -> ]There little room for a small bus station. The road system at Dalton is terrible. That needs fixing immediately. Coming up the A19 on Bank Holiday Monday (30th Aug), I witnessed how bad it was. Even running extra buses won’t deter car users, as most GNE or ANE services go around too many houses.

Dalton Park should have had an entrance and exit straight into Murton at Dalton Terrace up from East Moor Estate. That way there would be at least two way traffic through, buses heading out of Murton would go in at Dalton Terrace and out the current entrance/exit and vice versa. You’d then be able to turn the bus turning circle into a second stand for West and North bound services. The current bus stop just for East and South bound services. And at least it would also split where other traffic came from, cars coming from Durham, Hetton and Murton itself would avoid the current roundabout. 

With regards to services going around the houses, I’m inclined to agree that’s why I’m somewhat pleasantly surprised about the 62 been so busy according to a few posters on here. It’s not exactly very quick to anywhere really!
(09 Sep 2021, 9:36 pm)col87 wrote [ -> ]Was on the 62 from Peterlee to Dalton Park yesterday. While the service I got on just about got away with it I not sure using the small Solos on there is going to be a good idea long term as it got quite busy. 

The X1 when I seen it at about 2:50 seemed to get a decent load from Dalton Park as well I nearly got on it myself but because of the heat decided to get on the 23 and come home instead.  I not sure who responsible for the bus stop at Dalton park but one bus stop for the amount of services and how frequent some of them are is no longer going to work I think they might be better off building a small bus Station there instead although not sure where it could go. But when 3 buses often come together the small stand is not good enough and a small could allow more services to go there with more terminating there.
Tbh I was at dalton park for a while today, I only saw 3 buses together, if anything they just need another stand. However there is no room to add more. 
Also I think the 62/X6 should be upgraded to 5377-5379 & 5389/ 5390. Also if the 62 extended upto Parkside, that would offer massive connections.
Dalton Park seems to getting more and more bus routes now, remembered Stagecoach tried express route to Newcastle from Dalton Park but did not last long.
Now the extended X1 get to cover lots of places direct to Dalton Park.
(09 Sep 2021, 7:57 pm)Yorkshire Pudding wrote [ -> ]Evening - new member here (living outside of the area but with family around County Durham)

A few questions/points re recent discussions:

Nice to see a "proper" Sunderland map online - https://images-gonortheast.passenger-web...n%20v2.pdf - but the version they've put up right now only shows service numbers in Ryhope - hopefully by tomorrow they'll have tidied it up and put on a version with layers of information all over the city!

The extension of the 21 surprised me - other than a Brandon - Arniston direct link I'm not sure what the market is - pensioners who are happy to sit on the "all stops" service all the way to Newcastle rather than changing in Durham for the X12/ X21? Extending an already long temperamental service seems asking for trouble otherwise (the congestion around North Road is bad enough once for a driver without doing it twice on the journey through Durham)

I can't see the 38s surviving for long given the diversion of the 2 via ASDA (and the Stagecoach 12)

(that's it for now - nice site you've got here btw - very informative)

Yeah, good to see a proper map up there.
Never quite understood what was going for the 38, 38C, 938 in recent years......
(09 Sep 2021, 11:59 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]Tbh I was at dalton park for a while today, I only saw 3 buses together, if anything they just need another stand. However there is no room to add more. 
Also I think the 62/X6 should be upgraded to 5377-5379 & 5389/ 5390. Also if the 62 extended upto Parkside, that would offer massive connections.

If they could get bit extended, could be a good point for interchange with a slight adjustment for a co-ordinated timetable,
say for getting the X10 from Middlesbrough and change for x6 to Sunderland.
(09 Sep 2021, 10:42 pm)Economic505 wrote [ -> ]There little room for a small bus station. The road system at Dalton is terrible. That needs fixing immediately. Coming up the A19 on Bank Holiday Monday (30th Aug), I witnessed how bad it was. Even running extra buses won’t deter car users, as most GNE or ANE services go around too many houses. 

Doesn't help that most of the buses go to/from the same places and follow each other.
Whilst the X1 is a welcome link and opens up the market slightly (and if timings work, an interchange option with the X10), it still does nothing to remove the duplication from elsewhere.
If they don't go around houses, then people won't catch them, either.
(10 Sep 2021, 8:15 am)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]If they don't go around houses, then people won't catch them, either.

It’s a fine line though, I’ve got a friend who lives in Ludworth the only bus route is the Arriva 24 Durham-Hartlepool. She doesn’t drive, but actively refuses to go anywhere but Durham by bus, the journey to Durham is a pretty direct route. But the one towards Hartlepool goes round practically every estate to get to Peterlee Town Centre, Pennine Drive/Oakerside - I’m sure the whole route around Peterlee takes about 15 minutes. Too much around the houses, puts people off. One thing I will say I, I think it’s a decent decision to have the 62 avoid the estates in Easington Colliery, whilst those areas are losing one of their buses per hour, sending the service round there would just add too much time to an already long timetable.
(10 Sep 2021, 8:58 am)Drifter60 wrote [ -> ]It’s a fine line though, I’ve got a friend who lives in Ludworth the only bus route is the Arriva 24 Durham-Hartlepool. She doesn’t drive, but actively refuses to go anywhere but Durham by bus, the journey to Durham is a pretty direct route. But the one towards Hartlepool goes round practically every estate to get to Peterlee Town Centre, Pennine Drive/Oakerside - I’m sure the whole route around Peterlee takes about 15 minutes. Too much around the houses, puts people off. One thing I will say I, I think it’s a decent decision to have the 62 avoid the estates in Easington Colliery, whilst those areas are losing one of their buses per hour, sending the service round there would just add too much time to an already long timetable.
I live in Ludworth and have been known to walk the 20 minutes to Thornley to catch the more direct 22 before because I lose the will on the 24. I can tolerate the  various detours around Shotton Colliery but Oakeside's a killer. There's a fine line between going around some of the houses and all of them.
(10 Sep 2021, 9:49 am)tcts24 wrote [ -> ]I live in Ludworth and have been known to walk the 20 minutes to Thornley to catch the more direct 22 before because I lose the will on the 24. I can tolerate the  various detours around Shotton Colliery but Oakeside's a killer. There's a fine line between going around some of the houses and all of them.
Agree the 24 it is a bit much having the tour of Peterlee maybe having another service for Oakeside would be better like bringing the 25 back that could do Peterlee - Durham via Oakeside and Easington’s.
(10 Sep 2021, 10:22 am)col87 wrote [ -> ]Agree the 24 it is a bit much having the tour of Peterlee maybe having another service for Oakeside would be better like bringing the 25 back that could do Peterlee - Durham via Oakeside and Easington’s.

That’s what happens when Arriva withdrawals town services and use out of town services as a replacement , all for profit now rather than passenger needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What have the loadings been like on the 21 extension to Brandon so far? The few times we've drove past it I haven't seen a soul on board.
(16 Sep 2021, 7:49 pm)streetdeckfan wrote [ -> ]What have the loadings been like on the 21 extension to Brandon so far? The few times we've drove past it I haven't seen a soul on board.
I had a go on it at the start of the week. From Durham towards Brandon there were two people on as well as me, and then on the next journey back to Durham there were three other passengers on board.

Also, it wasn't on the timetable displays at any of the bus stops around Brandon so that obviously doesn't help if people don't know about it.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
(10 Sep 2021, 10:22 am)col87 wrote [ -> ]Agree the 24 it is a bit much having the tour of Peterlee maybe having another service for Oakeside would be better like bringing the 25 back that could do Peterlee - Durham via Oakeside and Easington’s.

Personally I don't see the issue with the 24. There won't be many people going from Durham to Hartlepool throughout and unless the whole villages get on in Ludworth etc then there's no demand for a quicker service really. In a similar way there won't be many people going from Blackhall to Durham.

imo. it's more for serving.

Oakeside - Durham
Oakeside - Peterlee
Shotton Collery and all the villages inbetween service - Durham
Peterlee - Hartlepool

Shotton Collery and Durham have a quicker service on the 22 to Peterlee so it's only the 4 small villages Sherburn, Shadwell, Ludworth and Haswell and there's probably 5k between them (in other areas of the country they wouldn't have a service at all especially on evenings and Sundays).

You could bring that 25 back, but the 24 wouldn't be running in the evenings so that's the compromise and the estates of Peterlee, which there's more passengers anyway wouldn't have a direct service to Hartlepool.
(17 Sep 2021, 7:11 am)Storx wrote [ -> ]Personally I don't see the issue with the 24. There won't be many people going from Durham to Hartlepool throughout and unless the whole villages get on in Ludworth etc then there's no demand for a quicker service really. In a similar way there won't be many people going from Blackhall to Durham.

Oakeside - Durham
Oakeside - Peterlee
Peterlee - Hartlepool

Shotton Collery and Durham have a quicker service on the 22 to Peterlee so it's only the 4 small villages Sherburn, Shadwell, Ludworth and Haswell and there's probably 5k between them (in other areas of the country they wouldn't have a service at all especially on evenings and Sundays).

You could bring that 25 back, but the 24 wouldn't be running in the evenings so that's the compromise and the estates of Peterlee, which there's more passengers anyway wouldn't have a direct service to Hartlepool.

I think it’s all about perception to a certain extent, I’ve done the 24 route years back from Durham to Horden - and it felt pretty direct until it got to Peterlee Moorcock then we did an approx. 15 minute tour of housing estates in Peterlee and it just felt such a long winded route. We ended up with an added 10-15 minutes onto the journey and came out just a little bit further down Burnhope Way, a journey that would have been 2 minutes just running direct past the college. I agree Oakerside should be served, but I suppose at the minute do you put off anyone who may want to use it long distance to go from Blackhall to Durham or Ludworth to Hartlepool because actually it just feel it takes forever. 

On a wider note and a general observation from across the forum, I’m not sure if I like the whole attitude of “people should be grateful because the alternative is no service” so whatever the issues maybe the buses take too long, they don’t go where people want them to go etc. but hey be grateful it’s that or nothing as you’re a small village/estate whom doesn’t deserve decent bus services. Very low standards, as if the public should just get on with on below par services. Do we also suggest a small town shouldn’t complain about their only main supermarket because it’s that or nothing. No one else is going to open in this town as there isn’t any demand, so use the one with bad customer service and long queues because it’s all you’re going to get.
(17 Sep 2021, 9:14 am)Drifter60 wrote [ -> ]I think it’s all about perception to a certain extent, I’ve done the 24 route years back from Durham to Horden - and it felt pretty direct until it got to Peterlee Moorcock then we did an approx. 15 minute tour of housing estates in Peterlee and it just felt such a long winded route. We ended up with an added 10-15 minutes onto the journey and came out just a little bit further down Burnhope Way, a journey that would have been 2 minutes just running direct past the college. I agree Oakerside should be served, but I suppose at the minute do you put off anyone who may want to use it long distance to go from Blackhall to Durham or Ludworth to Hartlepool because actually it just feel it takes forever. 

On a wider note and a general observation from across the forum, I’m not sure if I like the whole attitude of “people should be grateful because the alternative is no service” so whatever the issues maybe the buses take too long, they don’t go where people want them to go etc. but hey be grateful it’s that or nothing as you’re a small village/estate whom doesn’t deserve decent bus services. Very low standards, as if the public should just get on with on below par services. Do we also suggest a small town shouldn’t complain about their only main supermarket because it’s that or nothing. No one else is going to open in this town as there isn’t any demand, so use the one with bad customer service and long queues because it’s all you’re going to get.
Thing is, the people on those estates have a one bus service to Hartlepool or Durham with the 24. I'm sure there would be just as much outrage if they had to catch a bus to the bus station, then change.
And, the way the 3 way Interworking works, the 24 needs to make up just under 90 minutes from end to end. When the 22 went to hartlepool, that was the one that served the estates.
(17 Sep 2021, 7:11 am)Storx wrote [ -> ]Personally I don't see the issue with the 24. There won't be many people going from Durham to Hartlepool throughout and unless the whole villages get on in Ludworth etc then there's no demand for a quicker service really. In a similar way there won't be many people going from Blackhall to Durham.

Oakeside - Durham
Oakeside - Peterlee
Peterlee - Hartlepool

Service 25 was a shit service from Arriva, I live at Oakerside area, it didn’t come round half the time, the bus did the fast 22 from Durham to Hartlepool before it started going via Peterlee, and changed to a 25 from Hartlepool to old shotton, the 25 was timed from Hartlepool to be in front of the 24 to relieve the congested normal 24, but the 22 used to be always late from Durham and in turn made the 25 late and behind the 24 to Peterlee then half the time the 25 was turned at Peterlee bus station and not taking passengers between bus station at Oakerside who ended up taking taxis, same thing when the GNE X7 started to do the loop south of Peterlee, used to get to Peterlee bus station late and got turned around because it came late at Sunderland from the X6, I think the x7 was just used to keep the X6 on time between Hartlepool and Sunderland

(17 Sep 2021, 9:21 am)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Thing is, the people on those estates have a one bus service to Hartlepool or Durham with the 24. I'm sure there would be just as much outrage if they had to catch a bus to the bus station, then change.
And, the way the 3 way Interworking works, the 24 needs to make up just under 90 minutes from end to end. When the 22 went to hartlepool, that was the one that served the estates.

At Least the local estate bus will be on time and not have to relay from a bus that came from a crammed city centre miles away when passengers just want to go to there local town centre

(17 Sep 2021, 9:14 am)Drifter60 wrote [ -> ]I think it’s all about perception to a certain extent, I’ve done the 24 route years back from Durham to Horden - and it felt pretty direct until it got to Peterlee Moorcock then we did an approx. 15 minute tour of housing estates in Peterlee and it just felt such a long winded route. We ended up with an added 10-15 minutes onto the journey and came out just a little bit further down Burnhope Way, a journey that would have been 2 minutes just running direct past the college. I agree Oakerside should be served, but I suppose at the minute do you put off anyone who may want to use it long distance to go from Blackhall to Durham or Ludworth to Hartlepool because actually it just feel it takes forever. 

I don't disagree with you but the point is there's just probably not the demand to do the route throughout so in reality all your doing it creating a faster bus for 4 pit villages between Sherburn and Shotton Colliery to the demise of Oakerside which has more population than those 4 villages anyway.

There's no demand for 6 buses an hour between Durham and Peterlee neither so what other options are there. Decrease one of them to hourly which would likely be the 24 since the Western side is served by the 64(A) - not sure which off the top of my head, and the Eastern side is served by the 22 from Shotton with an hourly 25 which would combine with the 24 between Peterlee and Hartlepool or alternatively you'd have a Peterlee local service from Peterlee just serving Oakerside.

Personally, they're all much worse than what's there already.

The only thing that possibly would make sense is swapping the 22 and 24 around.

So the 22 does Durham to Hartlepool (fast) and the 24 does Durham to Sunderland via Peterlee and Easington with the 23 being Sunderland to Hartlepool (fast) if you can get it to work. It fixes the discussion on the Blackhall side so argubly the only 4 communities which are disadvantaged are the 4 small pit villages.