North East Buses

Full Version: September Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(29 Jul 2021, 12:33 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]Termination point change beyond Consett, Castleside section replaced with new service. New links for folk from Castleside, Moorside and the Grove. No passengers carried on through to Durham in reality.

Fair enough. I'd guess at Shotley Bridge (link to urgent care unit) or loop round Templetown or the new estate next to Tesco (Church something).

Will 16A extension past Stanley to Consett run later than 9 p.m?

Its just I don't see X72 being viable evenings without subsidy.    Or will the 6A configuration continue to run?
(29 Jul 2021, 2:05 pm)DH9 wrote [ -> ]Fair enough. I'd guess at Shotley Bridge (link to urgent care unit) or loop round Templetown or the new estate next to Tesco (Church something).

Will 16A extension past Stanley to Consett run later than 9 p.m?

Its just I don't see X72 being viable evenings without subsidy.    Or will the 6A configuration continue to run?
X5/X15 and V3 will still link Consett to shotley bridge hospital, so no need to extend the 16 down there. No ideal place to turn a decker around down there, Templetown is a good shout, but does it warrant a 30 minute service, not when I've ventured on to a minibus shift, but add in tesco and it might work. Minibus network at Consett is not immune to the changes either.

No idea on evening 16a, or X72 I'm afraid
(28 Jul 2021, 7:13 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]Sure the changes will be announced soon enough. Internal memo went out today and all I can say is there's lots of changes (Consett depot), some good and some not so good.

Be interesting to see what these are. I imagine changes will be quite political at the moment, especially with the MP up there being so vocal about the need of having a rail (and Metro) service extension from Newcastle as one of his election promises.
(29 Jul 2021, 2:19 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Be interesting to see what these are. I imagine changes will be quite political at the moment, especially with the MP up there being so vocal about the need of having a rail (and Metro) service extension from Newcastle as one of his election promises.
Tbh I think the train link is a pie in the sky idea. If anyone has used the Derwent Valley line, the works required are immense, new bridges crossing over roads. Not to mention his proposed inclusion of a path/cycle route. The shear amount of trees that would need removing would cause uproar.
Lots of changes/surprises happening across the whole company, just wait until the cancellations and new registrations appear on VOSA your all going to have a field day
(29 Jul 2021, 2:23 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]Tbh I think the train link is a pie in the sky idea. If anyone has used the Derwent Valley line, the works required are immense, new bridges crossing over roads. Not to mention his proposed inclusion of a path/cycle route. The shear amount of trees that would need removing would cause uproar.

Pie in the sky is very politely put  Smile but ultimately he's made the pledge and will be judged on it, which may influence his response to any public transport changes in his constituency.
(29 Jul 2021, 2:28 pm)N1cholas wrote [ -> ]Lots of changes/surprises happening across the whole company, just wait until the cancellations and new registrations appear on VOSA your all going to have a field day
Cant remember the last time the forum was so busy. Even the spikes in traffic when announcements/arrivals of new vehicles hasn't caused this much excitement  Tongue
(29 Jul 2021, 2:33 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]Cant remember the last time the forum was so busy. Even the spikes in traffic when announcements/arrivals of new vehicles hasn't caused this much excitement  Tongue

There's usually plenty of froth in response to what colour a bus might be .....  Wink
(29 Jul 2021, 2:38 pm)Ianthegoon wrote [ -> ]There's usually plenty of froth in response to what colour a bus might be .....  Wink
Especially pink ones  Rolleyes
The changes in Sunderland at least seem mainly positive, I'm usually quite critical of the cuts in Sunderland but happy to see it go the other way this time. You'd hope so with the Sunderland District brand introduced too. Ditto with South Tyneside, positive stuff from what I've seen so far.
(29 Jul 2021, 2:03 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]I think if people saw the data behind the changes they would understand. If services are vastly underused or one section of the route is always dead, then pointless running them to  carry fresh air.

No doubt we'll have another 925 scenario to maintain like for the 2 people that used the lost link.

I think it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

Pulling out of an area or changing a service is the easy option imo.

Promoting, advertising, encouraging growth and finding out what people need/want/expect is harder, but could ultimately be more rewarding and could fill the bus up a little bit more.

Organic growth from a fancy new decker or a 'cringe' advert on the rear of a Versa isn't guaranteed to grow patronage.
Sending it where passengers need/want to go at times and pricing which suits, isn't either. But is likely to lead to more success.

Based on what I've seen from the outside in and insistence on keeping routes they've had for decades, with a little tweak here and there, along with a bit of investment seems to be the option GNE keep taking.
It's almost the lazy option.
(29 Jul 2021, 3:02 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I think it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

Promoting, advertising, encouraging growth and finding out what people need/want/expect is harder, but could ultimately be more rewarding and could fill the bus up a little bit more.

Organic growth from a fancy new decker or a 'cringe' advert on the rear of a Versa isn't guaranteed to grow patronage.
Sending it where passengers need/want to go at times and pricing which suits, isn't either. But is likely to lead to more success.

Based on what I've seen from the outside in and insistence on keeping routes they've had for decades, with a little tweak here and there, along with a bit of investment seems to be the option GNE keep taking.
I don't think you can say gne or any operator is being lazy, things have changed massively over the last 18 months and these changes, whilst drastic are needed. As I said earlier there is a number of new connections being added, and not put out yet is the new fare offers (eff 2nd August), which added to the success of the £1 evening fare might (and probably will) get more people on board over the summer and beyond.
(29 Jul 2021, 3:02 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I think it's a bit of a double-edged sword.

But at the same time, if passengers arent using it, no matter how good you market it, then there is little point in running it. The X27....although allocated an MPD didnt survive, even after GNE/Nexus implored people to use it or loose it. You can bring water to the desert, but if they won't drink...
Wonder whats going on at percy main, they should withdraw the 311 and instead reroute both the 309 and 310 into hadrian Park as it adds an every 10 minute service between there and Newcastle aswell as creating new links to North Shields & the coast (Blyth, Seaton sluice and Whitley Bay)
So in a nutshell, is the X72 basically a normal 6 between Stanley & Dipton then via Hobson, Sunniside and Gateshead to Newcastle?
(29 Jul 2021, 3:15 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]I don't think you can say gne or any operator is being lazy, things have changed massively over the last 18 months and these changes, whilst drastic are needed. As I said earlier there is a number of new connections being added, and not put out yet is the new fare offers (eff 2nd August), which added to the success of the £1 evening fare might (and probably will) get more people on board over the summer and beyond.

How many changes are being forced by the CAZ and how many are commercial decisions?

The 6 has existed in various guises for a number of years and has had very little done with it in terms of promotion, marketing or anything else.
The axing of the entire Newcastle - Durham route and curtailment at Stanley, was only going to have a negative effect, as it reduced the chances of someone in say Craghead making that journey towards Tyneside.
Ditto for any through fares from say Dipton - Durham.
For those passengers who have a choice between a car or two buses, the decision may be heavily weighted towards the car.

I would be very concerned if decisions on services were being made as a result of what has happened over the last 18months.
(29 Jul 2021, 2:33 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]Cant remember the last time the forum was so busy. Even the spikes in traffic when announcements/arrivals of new vehicles hasn't caused this much excitement  Tongue
I remember it getting busy before the July 2016 changes
(29 Jul 2021, 3:02 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Based on what I've seen from the outside in and insistence on keeping routes they've had for decades, with a little tweak here and there, along with a bit of investment seems to be the option GNE keep taking.

I think calling what they do with regards service changes a "lazy option" is very disrespectful to be honest.

I'd challenge anyone to come up with a fully costed network with timetables of the area they live in with the same number of vehicles the local operator uses
(29 Jul 2021, 3:23 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]So in a nutshell, is the X72 basically a normal 6 between Stanley & Dipton then via Hobson, Sunniside and Gateshead to Newcastle?

Stanleyone said interesting route, so what's the catch? 

My maths indicates no service for Tanfield Village.
(29 Jul 2021, 3:16 pm)JP6004 wrote [ -> ]But at the same time, if passengers arent using it, no matter how good you market it, then there is little point in running it. The X27....although allocated an MPD didnt survive, even after GNE/Nexus implored people to use it or loose it. You can bring water to the desert, but if they won't drink...

An entire new route, on an infrequent basis, with competition nearby isn't likely to be a roaring success.
If they looked to fill the gap created by the commercial changes and see what else could be achieved in an alternative guise, then I could have seen it working a lot better.