North East Buses

Full Version: September Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10 Aug 2021, 10:27 pm)DH9 wrote [ -> ]It's old and disabled people that use the 32 to access Annfield Plain Tesco.

400 m is a long way for them.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Yeah, it is always the old people who get hit the worse. DO you know whether the 30/31/32 interwork ?
(10 Aug 2021, 10:29 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]Yeah, it is always the old people who get hit the worse. DO you know whether the 30/31/32 interwork ?

Yes they do - 2 buses do a 30 to Lanchester then a 31 then a 30 to Quaking Houses and then a 32.
30/31/32 do interwork.

Whilst on the subject, a shamless plug.

719 on the 32 in Fines Park - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...1370347473
720 on the 30 in Burnhope - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photog...1369330987
(10 Aug 2021, 10:08 pm)Drifter60 wrote [ -> ]I must agree, the connections needed maintaining, not just buses from Houghton to Chester and Seaham but also areas such as Seaton, Northlea and Dene House Road in Seaham who would be left without a service. 
And I think it was realistically unfeasible to not have a bus between Chester and Houghton, you’d be left either changing buses somewhere in Bournmoor between the 4 and a 78, hardly ideal. And again Houghton to Seaham would require a change in Hetton, which adds considerable time on the journey, however at least that would be a interchange point though! 
Go North East probably knew the council would want to ensure these connections continued. And it’s a shame that they haven’t promoted the route a bit first before deciding it’s unprofitable, new connections across Houghton and direct links between Seaham and Chester just haven’t been marketed at all. Maybe time to push some of the less high profile routes a bit rather than just “XLINES” or the Angel. Nothing against those services but nice new XLINES buses don’t help the people of Seaham, Seaton and Great Lumley who were facing loosing vital links.

Tbf, having seen the changes around Sunniside and the removal of links between Stanley and the Metrocentre, I'm surprised they haven't pushed changing between the 4 and 78 at some random bus stop.
As you say, at least Hetton is designed as an interchange. Unlike Sunniside, Woodstone Village or Bournmoor.

The thing that really annoys me about the 71, is the instistance of doing the same thing over and over (tweaked a little bit here and there) and somehow expecting that same thing to work.
I assume they expect it to work. I mean, they might expect it to fail completely. But that would just be a bit strange.

I genuinely don't understand why they haven't tried something different.
Whether that be changes to the timetable (iron out headway in Lumley and connections with the train at Seaham, the allocation, the route, allocating it a budget from the Stenning school of copy & paste... Anything at all. Apart from what has have done for the 15 years, when they've shown this bizarre obsession to make it work using the barest minimum of their creative commercial acumen, whilst planning one of their begging bowl trips to County Hall.

(10 Aug 2021, 10:24 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]Has the public extortion of local councils ceased yet…ahem…I mean are the changes public yet?

The 21 is stuck in traffic at the Arnison Centre and they're unable to reach an agreement with DCC.

Once they've battled through the chain of buses following each other, reached County Hall and came away with a collection pot bigger than the Catholic Church has after mass - you can expect an announcement.
(09 Aug 2021, 3:06 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I'd heard that the brands were named after the colour of the actual paint.
So someone, somewhere called a yellow paint 'blonde', hence the name of that brand.
Ditto with the berry etc. 

I've just had a look online and I've had a look at some paint colours in B&Q. 
Dunno about you lot, but I think the following would be much better brand names. 

Appreciate this is so 2020 and colours move on, but that SDO Windmill Wings definitely has a ring to it.

Years ago, I remember decorating the room with Dulux Crispy Crumble.
Apart from making my belly rumble, it looked good on the walls.
However, I'm not sure a Versa on the  SDO Crispy Crumble 2A to Washington/The Galleries (depending where it is on the route) has much of a ring to it.
Probably less of a ring than the brand they've chosen. Not by much though.

Had a look on the rest of the Dulux range and I think they've missed a trick

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-detail...7f008e70fa
Now, if buses were painted with farrow and ball... Dead mouse express, anyone?

(10 Aug 2021, 10:06 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]I have seen some backlash with the 30, however I do think the 32 may have been a vital for some, but the nearest stop is only 400 meters
That is a very long walk for people with reduced mobility.
Few updates on the changes page:

28 | 28A (Newcastle – Gateshead – Chester-le-Street)
UPDATE: Services 28/28A will be revised to terminate at Market Street in Newcastle, instead of Eldon Square. In Gateshead, the 28A will run via Whitehall Road instead of Bensham Bank.

Due to low demand, service 28A will be revised to terminate at Perkinsville. Service 28 will still run beyond Perkinsville to Chester-le-Street, serving Pelton, High Handenhold, Beamish, Grange Villa and Pelton Fell, maintaining local links around these areas, once per hour.

-----

34 (Waldridge Park – Chester-le-Street – Ouston – Upreth Grange)
This service will omit Pelaw Estate, instead running via A693 and Pelton Aged Miners. An extra journey will be added in the morning peak to provide extra capacity.

A new service 734 will operate every 60 minutes on Monday to Saturday daytimes providing a connection between Chester le Street and Pelaw Estate.

-----

71 (Chester-le-Street – Houghton-le-Spring – Seaham)
UPDATE: Service 71 will continue to operate its current timetable.

----

Under the M6/M7/M8 changes:

Passengers travelling to Metrocentre from parts of Fellside Road and Broadway, along with Lambton Avenue and Duckpool Lane, will be replaced by new service 643

----

30 (Stanley – Lanchester)
UPDATE: New service 730 will operate between Stanley and Lanchester, replacing service 30.

---
A bit back to the future with some of these route numbers.

Guessing the 734 will interwork with something as it doesn't take an hour to do CLS to Pelaw Estate and back. Prob with the 28 or 71.
(11 Aug 2021, 2:29 pm)Rapidsnap wrote [ -> ]A bit back to the future with some of these route numbers.

Guessing the 734 will interwork with something as it doesn't take an hour to do CLS to Pelaw Estate and back. Prob with the 28 or 71.

I wondered why they hadn't integrated it with the Chester Town services or at least bolted it on to an existing route, such as the 28 or 71.
(11 Aug 2021, 2:18 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Few updates on the changes page:

28 | 28A (Newcastle – Gateshead – Chester-le-Street)
UPDATE: Services 28/28A will be revised to terminate at Market Street in Newcastle, instead of Eldon Square. In Gateshead, the 28A will run via Whitehall Road instead of Bensham Bank.

Due to low demand, service 28A will be revised to terminate at Perkinsville. Service 28 will still run beyond Perkinsville to Chester-le-Street, serving Pelton, High Handenhold, Beamish, Grange Villa and Pelton Fell, maintaining local links around these areas, once per hour.

-----

34 (Waldridge Park – Chester-le-Street – Ouston – Upreth Grange)
This service will omit Pelaw Estate, instead running via A693 and Pelton Aged Miners. An extra journey will be added in the morning peak to provide extra capacity.

A new service 734 will operate every 60 minutes on Monday to Saturday daytimes providing a connection between Chester le Street and Pelaw Estate.

-----

71 (Chester-le-Street – Houghton-le-Spring – Seaham)
UPDATE: Service 71 will continue to operate its current timetable.

----

Under the M6/M7/M8 changes:

Passengers travelling to Metrocentre from parts of Fellside Road and Broadway, along with Lambton Avenue and Duckpool Lane, will be replaced by new service 643

----

30 (Stanley – Lanchester)
UPDATE: New service 730 will operate between Stanley and Lanchester, replacing service 30.

---
When are the timetables coming out?
730, 734, 643.

Go North East rarely use three digit numbers now except in Peterlee.   Have other operators got these? 

730 to Stanley Buses?    Don't know about the other two. 

Just a guess.
(11 Aug 2021, 4:02 pm)DH9 wrote [ -> ]730, 734, 643.

Go North East rarely use three digit numbers now except in Peterlee.   Have other operators got these? 

Just a guess.

They've used the 9xx series for 'half-hearted' attempts to fill the gap left by commercial decisions.
Can't remember the last time they used the 6 or 7 prefix on a commercial route.
(11 Aug 2021, 4:02 pm)DH9 wrote [ -> ]730, 734, 643.

Just a guess.
They should remove the 3-Digit in Peterlee, seems as though the 202/208 > 62/62A & 265 > 65
Isn't the 734 the old number of the Chester Le Street - Birtley - Ouston circular that got axed when the 709/728 all changed?

Still would like the logic of the 28s terminating in Market Street explaining - got low use withdrawal written all over it.
Is this the return of the same 643 that was scrapped 2 years ago? (scroll down to changes to the 6) "Service changes from 21 July | Go North East" https://newsroom.gonortheast.co.uk/news/...uly-373932

(11 Aug 2021, 4:12 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]Isn't the 734 the old number of the Chester Le Street - Birtley - Ouston circular that got axed when the 709/728 all changed?

Still would like the logic of the 28s terminating in Market Street explaining - got low use withdrawal written all over it.
If one of the 28 variations is still using old Durham Road, then by moving it to Market street, it's at least in the same place as the 56 so more likely to pick up passengers travelling locally.
(11 Aug 2021, 4:14 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]Is this the return of the same 643 that was scrapped 2 years ago? (scroll down to changes to the 6) "Service changes from 21 July | Go North East" https://newsroom.gonortheast.co.uk/news/...uly-373932

I don't think it'll be exactly the same, as the 643 used to serve Watergate Estate (which the 6 does now) and Sunniside. 

It was operated by GCT too.
(11 Aug 2021, 4:08 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]They should remove the 3-Digit in Peterlee, seems as though the 202/208 > 62/62A & 265 > 65

The 3 digit ones that remain will be 201,206,209 and 210, with the secured 239 which was the original service number with United.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(11 Aug 2021, 4:07 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]They've used the 9xx series for 'half-hearted' attempts to fill the gap left by commercial decisions.
Can't remember the last time they used the 6 or 7 prefix on a commercial route.
The 643, 730 and 734 have got the 925 written all over them. Come the next round of changes they're nearly certain to be withdrawn again if they're not subsidised.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

(11 Aug 2021, 4:12 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]Isn't the 734 the old number of the Chester Le Street - Birtley - Ouston circular that got axed when the 709/728 all changed?

Is the Market Street thing really that big a deal? It's still a central location in Newcastle so it's not as if they've moved the service away from the shops. An entrance to Eldon Square is only about a minute away from Market Street.

(11 Aug 2021, 4:26 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]The 643, 730 and 734 have got the 925 written all over them.  Come the next round of changes they're nearly certain to be withdrawn again if they're not subsidised.

643 keeps being rebooted in different forms.   Estates in S. E. Whickham will continue to need a bus. 

Some sort of service is needed for Burnhope so a service based on the 730 / 30 / MC1, etc. will survive. DCC seem keen on keeping the Lanchester link going too.

734 may eventually go though as bets 34 reverts at some time in the future.
(11 Aug 2021, 4:26 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]The 643, 730 and 734 have got the 925 written all over them.  Come the next round of changes they're nearly certain to be withdrawn again if they're not subsidised.

Is the Market Street thing really that big a deal?  It's still a central location in Newcastle so it's not as if they've moved the service away from the shops.  An entrance to Eldon Square is only about a minute away from Market Street.

No bus shelters on Market Street (East)
(11 Aug 2021, 4:53 pm)minibus1474 wrote [ -> ]No bus shelters on Market Street (East)

..yet.