North East Buses

Full Version: September Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(29 Jul 2021, 5:33 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]X20 to serve Doxford Int & 55 Withdrawn Maybe (Would be replaced between Houghton & Peterlee by X1)

I think that the X1 being extended to Easington and Peterlee would be a good idea. Of course there'd be the issue of fleet availability but that's something that might change over in Consett?
Martijn confirmed tonight, that the X20 will remain serving Rainton Bridge.

12 minutes, Martijn discusses some of the changes - which were changed due to drivers feedback.
(29 Jul 2021, 5:41 pm)omnicity4659 wrote [ -> ]I think that the X1 being extended to Easington and Peterlee would be a good idea. Of course there'd be the issue of fleet availability but that's something that might change over in Consett?
Unconfirmed of course but I think some of the streetdecks may transfer to Washington.

(29 Jul 2021, 4:36 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]As far as anyone's aware will anything replace the 1B Section through Lobley Hill.
Consett will operate this section of route.
(29 Jul 2021, 5:14 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]Since most other changes have been leaked now, having seen the Washington Briefing:
Little Pinks network is being simplified - the current 81/82/83/84/85/86 are replaced by:
new 82 linking Birtley, Portmeads, Ayton Dunnock Drive, Lambton, Galleries, Sainsburys, Glebe, Washington Village and Barmston Court every 30 minutes - Team Farm and Waterview Park are additionally served Monday to Saturday daytime
new 84 linking Rickleton, Harraton, Ayton, Lambton, Galleries, Sainsburys, Biddick, Barmston Waskerely Road, Barmston Village Centre, Peel and Spout Lane to Concord every 20 minutes - effectively replacing the 81 and parts of the 83/84. Heworth to Concord via Lingley Lane, Follingslby, Usworth and Donwell is withdrawn without replacement
new 85 linking Concord, Oxclose, Galleries and Sainsburys every 20 minutes (interworking with the 84 at Concord) - additionally serving The Drive between Concord and Donwell in place of the current 84
Washington will lose operation of the 5 to Deptford while taking on operation of the 26 from Riverside - the 26 will be extended to Lukes Lane via Hebburn replacing the 9 and reinstating the old 88 service (H1/H2 withdrawn as a result), the 26 will interwork with the 50 in South Shields (5 will interwork with the 9 at Jarrow)
One X1 an hour will be extended from Easington Lane to Peterlee via South Hetton, and one an hour to Dalton Park

So to take the positives out of that first: 
- X1 having alternative terminus points is a bonus. although I'm not convinced how widely they'd be used. Dalton Park maybe more than Peterlee. I wonder if the changes are more out of operational convenience, than genuinely providing new links out of demand.
- The nonsensical arrangement of the locals being split at the Galleries being dropped. This was never thought through imo, because if it was, they'd have realised that Nexus won't publish the connections on their timetables at stops. Hardly a good way of encouraging bus use! 

And the negatives:
- The new 82 terminating at Waterview Park makes no sense whatsoever, when between the Galleries and the terminus, it only serves Glebe (which already has the 8 to Waterview Park) and Washington Village. The Village is largely resident to those of a retirement age, who either spent their time in the village or make shopping trips. To give them a half hourly service to somewhere with nothing but a Civil Service office, in lieu of a service to the main high street in Washington, makes zero sense IMO.
- I'd have to see it on a map or something, but the 84 route sounds a bit odd, with what sounds like a loop of Heworth Road, Wellbank Road and the Drive being cobbled on. If the plan is to serve that loop between Spout Lane and Concord, then its a ridiculous diversion for customers travelling to Concord, so I wonder if the plan is to effectively serve Concord twice?
- 85 changes mean that Brady Square lose their bus service, despite once being a terminus. It also removes the travel connection between the three villages in the Ward.
(29 Jul 2021, 5:56 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]So to take the positives out of that first: 
- X1 having alternative terminus points is a bonus. although I'm not convinced how widely they'd be used. Dalton Park maybe more than Peterlee. I wonder if the changes are more out of operational convenience, than genuinely providing new links out of demand.
- The nonsensical arrangement of the locals being split at the Galleries being dropped. This was never thought through imo, because if it was, they'd have realised that Nexus won't publish the connections on their timetables at stops. Hardly a good way of encouraging bus use! 

And the negatives:
- The new 82 terminating at Waterview Park makes no sense whatsoever, when between the Galleries and the terminus, it only serves Glebe (which already has the 8 to Waterview Park) and Washington Village. The Village is largely resident to those of a retirement age, who either spent their time in the village or make shopping trips. To give them a half hourly service to somewhere with nothing but a Civil Service office, in lieu of a service to the main high street in Washington, makes zero sense IMO.
- I'd have to see it on a map or something, but the 84 route sounds a bit odd, with what sounds like a loop of Heworth Road, Wellbank Road and the Drive being cobbled on. If the plan is to serve that loop between Spout Lane and Concord, then its a ridiculous diversion for customers travelling to Concord, so I wonder if the plan is to effectively serve Concord twice?
- 85 changes mean that Brady Square lose their bus service, despite once being a terminus. It also removes the travel connection between the three villages in the Ward.

Brady Square being covered by Chester.
(29 Jul 2021, 5:56 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]So to take the positives out of that first: 

And the negatives:

From what I gather, the 84/85 will interwork at Concord - the Galleries to Concord section of the 84 appears to be basically the evening 84 route so serving Sprout Lane then into Concord. Brady Square will be served by the 8 instead.
Did Martijn mention something about Stanley to Gateshead? Is the X30/X31 remaining the same or could it just be the X30 running every 20 minutes (potentially giving a combined 10 minute frequency from Sunniside to Newcastle either via Gateshead or Dunston)?
(29 Jul 2021, 5:14 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]Since most other changes have been leaked now, having seen the Washington Briefing:
Little Pinks network is being simplified - the current 81/82/83/84/85/86 are replaced by:
new 82 linking Birtley, Portmeads, Ayton Dunnock Drive, Lambton, Galleries, Sainsburys, Glebe, Washington Village and Barmston Court every 30 minutes - Team Farm and Waterview Park are additionally served Monday to Saturday daytime
new 84 linking Rickleton, Harraton, Ayton, Lambton, Galleries, Sainsburys, Biddick, Barmston Waskerely Road, Barmston Village Centre, Peel and Spout Lane to Concord every 20 minutes - effectively replacing the 81 and parts of the 83/84. Heworth to Concord via Lingley Lane, Follingslby, Usworth and Donwell is withdrawn without replacement
new 85 linking Concord, Oxclose, Galleries and Sainsburys every 20 minutes (interworking with the 84 at Concord) - additionally serving The Drive between Concord and Donwell in place of the current 84
Washington will lose operation of the 5 to Deptford while taking on operation of the 26 from Riverside - the 26 will be extended to Lukes Lane via Hebburn replacing the 9 and reinstating the old 88 service (H1/H2 withdrawn as a result), the 26 will interwork with the 50 in South Shields (5 will interwork with the 9 at Jarrow)
One X1 an hour will be extended from Easington Lane to Peterlee via South Hetton, and one an hour to Dalton Park
Not suprised at the 5/9/26 changes
The link between Stanley and Emmanuel College was covered. Didn’t sound too positive so the X31 perhaps removed from this stretch?

And the negatives:

My reading of the changes is that the Heworth Road-The Drive-Wellbank Road part of the current 84 route will move to the 85 (with presumably a change on Wellbank Road with the 85 bus heading to / from Blue House Lane rather than to Donwell?). The new 84 route will simply terminate at Concord. If this is correct it means that the 85 will be rerouted away from the bottom part of Blue House Lane and therefore will no longer serve the stops opposite the Miners bungalows.
(29 Jul 2021, 6:13 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Nothing, he didn't mention many services.
He did mention that only 2 passengers had travelled per day between Stanley and emanuel college which isn't sustainable.
(29 Jul 2021, 6:21 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]He did mention that only 2 passengers had travelled per day between Stanley and emanuel college which isn't sustainable.

Oops!, I don't really know the area so missed it!
(29 Jul 2021, 6:08 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]Did Martijn mention something about Stanley to Gateshead? Is the X30/X31 remaining the same or could it just be the X30 running every 20 minutes (potentially giving a combined 10 minute frequency from Sunniside to Newcastle either via Gateshead or Dunston)?
X31 will still operate, but will combine with X30 to provide a 20 minute frequency via Dunston. X70/X71/X72 will provide a 20 minute service via Gateshead.
(29 Jul 2021, 5:47 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]Unconfirmed of course but I think some of the streetdecks may transfer to Washington.

I wonder which batch will transfer. Can't see streetdeckfan being happy if its some of the '16 or '67 ones!  Big Grin
(29 Jul 2021, 6:23 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]X31 will still operate, but will combine with X30 to provide a 20 minute frequency via Dunston. X70/X71/X72 will provide a 20 minute service via Gateshead.
Will one X30 per hour still run to Consett for driver changes?
(29 Jul 2021, 5:28 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]MG has done a fb session and it'll be next week possibly thurs/Fri when they are released to the public giving 4 clear weeks.
Righto,cheers matey
Anyone got any insight as to Chester changes? Moving back there in the next couple of weeks so some idea of what I’m walking would be helpful. MG mentioned the 28 being pulled from pelton and replaced by the 34.
(29 Jul 2021, 6:36 pm)DH9 wrote [ -> ]Will one X30 per hour still run to Consett for driver changes?
In the current climate of efficiency savings it would make sense to continue the link, but with the X72 providing a Newcastle link will it be needed?. Until the changes are announced next week I really don't know.
(29 Jul 2021, 6:54 pm)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]In the current climate of efficiency savings it would make sense to continue the link, but with the X72 providing a Newcastle link will it be needed?. Until the changes are announced next week I really don't know.
If the X72 is only hourly, then the logic is to keep the hourly X30 extension and 2 buses per hour from the Annfield Plain area to Newcastle.

But as you say, will it be needed?
(29 Jul 2021, 5:44 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Martijn confirmed tonight, that the X20 will remain serving Rainton Bridge.

12 minutes, Martijn discusses some of the changes - which were changed due to drivers feedback.

Pleased that they've listened to the drivers and I'm sure the new employees at Just Eat will be happy to see the bus service continue. Just as those will be in the other offices down there. 

But to make the decision in the first place, without consulting newspapers, local authorities, landlords...
How much time, energy and effort has been wasted as a result? 
Someone has spent time working out alternatives (probably Doxford Park), tweaked the 55, looked at the bigger picture with the Langley Park extension, quite possibly based the X1 extensions on the 55 tweaks and now the X20 is staying as is.

Key employment sites like Rainton Bridge need to have a frequent service. Its how cars are taken off the road.