North East Buses

Full Version: September Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(30 Aug 2021, 10:40 am)Stanleyone wrote [ -> ]Nope doesn't happen, in all the years I've worked at gne only once has an "inspector" asked me to take passengers for the 28 over to Gateshead.  My question is if you've witnessed 6 buses in the space of time you've waited for your bus, why not get on a bus heading into Gateshead?, there's supervisors and even LDs at the interchange and if they're turning buses there because of delays you're guaranteed to catch the bus there.
That is the main issue, while GNE Twitter is good there is nothing saying what to do. I think Communication between drivers/control about how to assist passengers is needed.
(29 Aug 2021, 7:47 am)Rob44 wrote [ -> ]Im looking forward to the long walk from market street to the centre of town now the 28 isn't going to eldon square. Makes you winder why they didn't spend a few quid on the bus station at worsick street??
Long walk? Are you being sarcastic? Have you never caught a bus in to Sunderland Park Lane or Durham?

If someone has a return ticket for the 56, they're not going to be able to hop on a different bus to Gateshead.
not being sarcastic at all. Have COPD and a big bloke so that walk to me on a incline up to the haymarket will be a killer. Plus i'll now get asked if i have any change by about a dozen strangers!

You would like to think so but dont they tear your ticket in half when you use the retunr?
(29 Aug 2021, 2:20 pm)omnicity4659 wrote [ -> ]Surely they need to get Great Park P&R right first before opening new ones?
There is one almost ready made, at Heworth.
(30 Aug 2021, 12:46 pm)BusLoverMum wrote [ -> ]There is one almost ready made, at Heworth.
How?
(29 Aug 2021, 1:51 pm)Malarkey wrote [ -> ]Personally I'd knock down the multistory car park between Haymarket and Eldon Square to open up space to build one City Bus Station for all services that serve both bus stations with the potential for NatEx/Megabus & Flixbus to serve it also.

As for replacing the multistory car park I'd use the opportunity to then set up the first of many proposed Park & Ride sites which would reduce emissions in this area of the city.

Even without the car park there's not enough space there. The car park doesn't take too much space. Any new bus station should be at the South side of the site, buses from Gateshead and The Central Station direction shouldn't be heading anywhere near Eldon Square / Haymarket. It'd be nice not having buses trailing across Newcastle for no reason.

Also the P&R sites would do nothing to help since that car park serves the North and we already have the Regent Centre, Northumberland Park, Kingston Park, Callerton Parkway, Four Lane Ends and The Great Park. You'd just cause more congestion with people attempting to get to other car parks delaying buses even more.

The Stack / Dex Car Park site would be the best place for any bus station in Newcastle.
Wiill all the PDF versions of the new timetables be uploaded by Sunday?
Also which service change does anyone think will be reversed first?
(30 Aug 2021, 1:02 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]How?
Massive great long stay car park straight across the road from the interchange. We often park there and catch the bus or metro if we don't fancy the traffic.
(30 Aug 2021, 1:10 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]Wiill all the PDF versions of the new timetables be uploaded by Sunday?
Well I mean 30/28/71 have already been reversed. But I think it will be the 62. Or the X1 to Peterlee and Double the Dalton Park Section.
(30 Aug 2021, 1:02 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]Even without the car park there's not enough space there. The car park doesn't take too much space. Any new bus station should be at the South side of the site, buses from Gateshead and The Central Station direction shouldn't be heading anywhere near Eldon Square / Haymarket. It'd be nice not having buses trailing across Newcastle for no reason.

Also the P&R sites would do nothing to help since that car park serves the North and we already have the Regent Centre, Northumberland Park, Kingston Park, Callerton Parkway, Four Lane Ends and The Great Park. You'd just cause more congestion with people attempting to get to other car parks delaying buses even more.

The Stack / Dex Car Park site would be the best place for any bus station in Newcastle.

The main issue is Newcastle City Council own very little land in the city and developing what little land they own into a bus station is not in their economic interest.

nobody is going to do park and ride because it’s just not appealing. It’s not York or Durham, it’s big enough to cope with traffic.

If you’re used to undercover brightly secure Eldon Sq, then Market St East is a 2nd rate drop off, it’s nowhere near St James for a matchday, it’s a canny hike for the old dears heading to M&S and at the moment it requires passing across 2 busy roads from Northumberland St
While on the subject of Eldon Square v Market Street East, what's the reason for the N21 stopping at Market Street instead of Eldon Square? Does the bus station close during the night or something?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk
(30 Aug 2021, 2:04 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]While on the subject of Eldon Square v Market Street East, what's the reason for the N21 stopping at Market Street instead of Eldon Square?  Does the bus station close during the night or something?

I believe it does to avoid folk spending the evening inside it.

Tho even back in the 90s the night services always stopped in a different place to their daytime counterparts
(30 Aug 2021, 2:04 pm)big mac wrote [ -> ]While on the subject of Eldon Square v Market Street East, what's the reason for the N21 stopping at Market Street instead of Eldon Square?  Does the bus station close during the night or something?

Yes it does. That is why the N21 would terminate out side of Durham bus station. Instead of in it. (when it was open)

Yes, the security guards lock individual doors after the last bus pulls off stand. Shutters in place to stop anyone entering the shopping centre.
(30 Aug 2021, 1:10 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote [ -> ]Wiill all the PDF versions of the new timetables be uploaded by Sunday?
Personally judging by the last year or so,i reckon it'll be the Little Coasters that get it
(30 Aug 2021, 5:35 pm)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Personally judging by the last year or so,i reckon it'll be the Little Coasters that get it

Get what? I'm confused....
(30 Aug 2021, 5:50 pm)logidoodah wrote [ -> ]Get what? I'm confused....
Cut

Well the obvious ones, will be 730, 643, 734. They’ll not last as we’ve seen with the 938 & 925. The 938 is been reversed though? I think I’m right in suggesting that the 38 is going back to what it ran previously therefore no need for the 938? The 925 though is just withdrawn. I’d hazard a guess that Service 30 will go back the way it is now, one to Lanchester, one terminating early at Quaking Houses, withdrawing the 730.
(30 Aug 2021, 8:29 pm)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Cut
ah right okie
(23 Aug 2021, 4:28 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Go North East is working with Nexus to try and resurrect racks in bus stations but those discussions are still ongoing.
I’d love to know what Nexus’s stand point is on that, there is literally no reason why the racks can’t be reintroduced now Covid restrictions have been removed.

They could open the Gateshead travel centre unmanned and use the ones in there as well. I imagine it is pretty doubtful that that unit will ever get a commercial tenant considering the number of shops already present around the Interchange, so it’s just sitting there empty