North East Buses

Full Version: September Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(21 Aug 2021, 3:05 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]I've still not found any today. Even popped over to the Metrocentre, as I knew they still have paper timetables out, but nah... only regular service timetables there.

Edit: I found 2 copies wedged down between the bin and the window on 8295. I'd travelled on five buses before that today, and had asked another couple of drivers on stands whilst I was at the Metrocentre, without any success.

(21 Aug 2021, 4:02 pm)Train8261 wrote [ -> ]The labour mp was saying places in Durham. Which half of them didn't seem to bad

4 weeks is better than putting it out a week before they happen which has happened in the past

Kevan Jones MP? I think he's been the only Durham MP who has spoken out against the changes. Richard Holden MP has been remarkably quiet, given the amount of changes in his area.

Sadly, yet again, the 'protest' comes at a point where the registration has already been submitted. This is why operators should always do a (even non-binding) public consultation prior to any changes being registered, so that they're getting a suitable level of feedback at a point where it is meaningful.
I guarantee if covid had never of happened. We wouldn't have seen any changes like this happened
(21 Aug 2021, 6:15 pm)Train8261 wrote [ -> ]I guarantee if covid had never of happened. We wouldn't have seen any changes like this happened
I personally don't think that Sunderland District would happen or most of them really. However I do believe that the 206 thing would have.
(21 Aug 2021, 3:05 pm)Adrian wrote [ -> ]I've still not found any today. Even popped over to the Metrocentre, as I knew they still have paper timetables out, but nah... only regular service timetables there.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I was also at the Metrocentre and couldn't find one.
(21 Aug 2021, 6:15 pm)Train8261 wrote [ -> ]I guarantee if covid had never of happened. We wouldn't have seen any changes like this happened

That’s kinda the point. The pandemic has changed life forever but it’s also been used as a wonderful excuse to downsize and make ‘efficiencies’ across the board in many businesses. Whilst there’s no sound industries have suffered it’s a marvellously convenient excuse.
(21 Aug 2021, 8:25 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]That’s kinda the point. The pandemic has changed life forever but it’s also been used as a wonderful excuse to downsize and make ‘efficiencies’ across the board in many businesses. Whilst there’s no sound industries have suffered it’s a marvellously convenient excuse.
I think some changes would've happened albeit in a lesser form. At the end of the day, GNE will have the data at hand we don't even know about.

For example in Sleepy Village and Tanfield Village, many punters might have used the M8 to the Metrocentre then conmected with buses towards Newcastle although some do perhaps just use the M8 for the Metrocentre.

Don't forget, it won't potentially just be GNE making these sort of changes. Arriva Northumbria's PVR for just 'some' of the services pre-covid that come to the top of my head was 91x. If they took a similar approach to GNE, that PVR with a proper set of changes (not just temporary tweaks as seen) could easily be cut by 14x vehicles to 77x. Obviously some "improvements" would be seen and likewise, some customers would be p****d off.
(21 Aug 2021, 8:25 pm)Ambassador wrote [ -> ]That’s kinda the point. The pandemic has changed life forever but it’s also been used as a wonderful excuse to downsize and make ‘efficiencies’ across the board in many businesses. Whilst there’s no sound industries have suffered it’s a marvellously convenient excuse.

That's if you believe Covid is the reason for the cuts though. The Crusader buses were painted last Summer pretty early on and there was enough for the 27 only and the North Tyneside changes got through before the pandemic and they weren't too dissimilar to what's happening elsewhere and from what I'm aware there wasn't any new orders cancelled so the changes for the LEZ would've happened regardless.

Bus operators weren't allowed to make changes during the pandemic so imo it's just delayed because of Covid.

Also to the Arriva comment as I didn't quote beforehand the 356 changes were the early 10's they went through a few variations though so not sure when the last one went through tbh with the 56, X6 then the final 54 as of now believe it came with the 52 after the infamous shambles of the X4, X5/X6 diversion around the world farce.
(21 Aug 2021, 9:35 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]That's if you believe Covid is the reason for the cuts though. The Crusader buses were painted last Summer pretty early on and there was enough for the 27 only and the North Tyneside changes got through before the pandemic and they weren't too dissimilar to what's happening elsewhere
The E400MMC allocation (11 out of 15 to Consett) was interesting considering that the new PVR for the X30's and X70's will be 11.
(21 Aug 2021, 6:20 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]I personally don't think that Sunderland District would happen or most of them really. However I do believe that the 206 thing would have.
Sunderland District is just a Micky mouse name. GNE have just produced the millionth iteration of their timetables . Maybe they should roll back to pre1986.  Looking at those timetables, all I see is a vast and integrated service.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

A 5-figure amount of these were printed and put on every bus in the fleet last week.

Anecdotally I saw a bus enthusiast get on a Riverside bus last week and put a good handful in his bag. I also noticed them being sold on eBay by a bus enthusiast.

I’m not against enthusiasts taking a copy because it’s an important part of history - but I’d suggest the issue isn’t the lack of booklets being made available, it’s the fact a functional document for those unable to access this information online is being taken for some enthusiasts to profiteer upon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mentioned a few months ago curtailing GNE buses at gateshead to ease congestion in Newcastle and the condemnation i got in replies ...... now a woman who uses the 1a to get from home to probably work complains about her service being cancelled and the same people on here are saying she can change at Newcastle... she can change gateshead!! If i know how to do it I would put a shaking head emoji
(22 Aug 2021, 6:49 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]A 5-figure amount of these were printed and put on every bus in the fleet last week.

Anecdotally I saw a bus enthusiast get on a Riverside bus last week and put a good handful in his bag. I also noticed them being sold on eBay by a bus enthusiast.

I’m not against enthusiasts taking a copy because it’s an important part of history - but I’d suggest the issue isn’t the lack of booklets being made available, it’s the fact a functional document for those unable to access this information online is being taken for some enthusiasts to profiteer upon.

Or don't want to Smile It's important that the choice remains there, which is why I was pleased when paper timetables were introduced, after seemingly being abandoned some 18 months previous. 

It's a shame if multiple copies are being picked up by enthusiasts, with no other purpose than to make a profit on eBay, but I guess the only way to stop that is if GNE themselves were to list them at the cost of postage only. It'd sharp put the timetable bandits out of business.

I did however notice that some buses I used on the first run of the day had none of these booklets either. I'd suggest that they're not being stocked en-mass on buses, because there's really no practical place to put them. They're too big for the standard timetable holders, and if they are put anywhere else, they'll most likely end up on the floor. Probably why the copy I found was chucked between the bin and the window on a Versa.
Will the 47/47A gets it own route box on the GNE site because atm, you have to go in to the changes to access the 47/47A timetable.
Maybe if some notices were put up on buses noting the service changes like they did years ago, maybe just maybe the word would spread, a brief explanation of the changes for people to see on the bus would be cheaper than the novels being printed and it would be their for all to see, with the changes around the local area for each depot specifically with a bit more detail than the services out of that depots operating area, not all pensioners have internet access and some think the web is something spiders make, putting the passenger information on board buses would be cheap, easy to change and be very beneficial to all passenger
(21 Aug 2021, 9:35 pm)Storx wrote [ -> ]That's if you believe Covid is the reason for the cuts though. The Crusader buses were painted last Summer pretty early on and there was enough for the 27 only and the North Tyneside changes got through before the pandemic and they weren't too dissimilar to what's happening elsewhere and from what I'm aware there wasn't any new orders cancelled so the changes for the LEZ would've happened regardless.

Bus operators weren't allowed to make changes during the pandemic so imo it's just delayed because of Covid.

Also to the Arriva comment as I didn't quote beforehand the 356 changes were the early 10's they went through a few variations though so not sure when the last one went through tbh with the 56, X6 then the final 54 as of now believe it came with the 52 after the infamous shambles of the X4, X5/X6 diversion around the world farce.
Don't forget the X8/X9 fiasco as well and the even worse service that replaced them
(22 Aug 2021, 10:34 am)Adrian wrote [ -> ]Or don't want to Smile It's important that the choice remains there, which is why I was pleased when paper timetables were introduced, after seemingly being abandoned some 18 months previous. 

It's a shame if multiple copies are being picked up by enthusiasts, with no other purpose than to make a profit on eBay, but I guess the only way to stop that is if GNE themselves were to list them at the cost of postage only. It'd sharp put the timetable bandits out of business.

I did however notice that some buses I used on the first run of the day had none of these booklets either. I'd suggest that they're not being stocked en-mass on buses, because there's really no practical place to put them. They're too big for the standard timetable holders, and if they are put anywhere else, they'll most likely end up on the floor. Probably why the copy I found was chucked between the bin and the window on a Versa.

Due to their size, they should be getting placed in the Metro newspaper box (as what GNE did with the A4 printed emergency timetable booklets provided throughout the pandemic). I wonder if in some of your experiences, newspapers have gone in on top of the booklets, rather than placed back on the top? On buses which don't have a Metro newspaper box (i.e. Optare Solo), they should be on the front bulkhead near the driver.
(22 Aug 2021, 1:06 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Due to their size, they should be getting placed in the Metro newspaper box (as what GNE did with the A4 printed emergency timetable booklets provided throughout the pandemic). I wonder if in some of your experiences, newspapers have gone in on top of the booklets, rather than placed back on the top? On buses which don't have a Metro newspaper box (i.e. Optare Solo), they should be on the front bulkhead near the driver.

Thought that might be the case Monday to Friday, when the Metro is distributed, but nothing but empty boxes on Saturday.

I checked three of the Washington Solos after seeing your post, as I was out already, but nothing at all on the bulkheads of those buses. I've got a few first trips of the day to do next week, so I'll make sure I have a good rummage around in the Metro newspaper box and put them on the top if I find any.  Smile
Picked up one of the new X45/X46 timetable at Metrocentre
Anyone know what the 47 is being branded as & what buses they will use?
(15 Aug 2021, 12:43 am)omnicity4659 wrote [ -> ]Almost. Red with a sand-coloured rear is what I've seen. Also named "Red Kite Ranger".

(22 Aug 2021, 5:15 pm)Keeiajs wrote [ -> ]Anyone know what the 47 is being branded as & what buses they will use?

The mock-up of the livery I've seen is on a StreetDeck, however I've since heard rumours of other double deckers being used instead.