North East Buses

Full Version: Whats made you happy today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(31 Aug 2015, 11:32 am)DanPicken wrote [ -> ]Currently on 33101 without a doubt one of the best buses there apart from the Olympians.

Was great when 33101 was at Shields especially up Green Lane bank on the 18s
5165 got withdrawn
The Shields Ferry and the popping sound the Metro makes between Monument and St James.
(02 Sep 2015, 3:58 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]The Shields Ferry and the popping sound the Metro makes between Monument and St James.

I've never actually been on the Metro to St. James before - I've always bailed at Monument. It's the only section of the network I haven't actually used (had no reason to).
(02 Sep 2015, 4:10 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I've never actually been on the Metro to St. James before - I've always bailed at Monument. It's the only section of the network I haven't actually used (had no reason to).

I think the popping sound is caused by some sort of braking mechanism. You occasionally hear it near level crossings and such but, obviously, the tunnel makes it a bit louder. I've always been mesmerised it for some reason. You should make a journey up there sometime.
(02 Sep 2015, 3:58 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]The Shields Ferry and the popping sound the Metro makes between Monument and St James.

I'd completely forgotten about that noise, since it's over 25 years since I last indulged in a trip over that way, during my summer holiday. I found it a little freaky, like it was shorting out.
7505 is my first bus of the year Big Grin
(14 Aug 2015, 9:25 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Yeah, I was told by my teacher to have a look at 'Mein Kampf', as I'm doing my coursework next year on that period of time, I went to Waterstones on Wednesday to have a look, and I was going to buy something by Kershaw, might be what you've suggested, need to double check, if so I'll order it tomorrow and hopefully it'll be here by early next week. I'm centering my coursework on Hitler, hence the purchase, and pondering whether he was the largest influence on Germany in the past century.

I bought 'The Double Helix' for my own personal interest, and additional research for my EPQ, into DNA.

Edit: The Kershaw book I saw in Waterstones was simply entitled 'Hitler', I'll have a look at the one you recommend now Smile

Just a little addendum to this conversation...

While I was driving to work this morning, there was some author on the radio promoting an upcoming book. When I heard what the book was about, I immediately thought it may be of some use to you. The book presents a social-history of Germany during the reign of Hitler focussing specifically on the final six years of the regime (1939-45). Apparently, this is the first text which explores Germany and Hitler from the perspective of the German people, offering new insights into how regular Germans viewed Hitler and the Nazi regime; their appetite for war; and what they really knew about the atrocities committed to obtain supremacy in Europe. 

If you want to know how the regime influenced German people to assess Hitler's legacy in Germany, it sounds like a good read.

Here's the snippet from the Radio 4 website:

Seventy years after World War II with whole libraries dedicated to the war the thoughts of ordinary Germans, surprisingly, have not been heard until now. Professor Nicholas Stargardt, one of Britain's foremost scholars of Nazi Germany at Oxford University has examined letters and diaries for his new book “The German War” to provide an insight into the lives of ordinary Germans fighting the war.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068c7n8

And here's his book on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/German-War-Natio..._1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441286923&sr=1-1&keywords=the+german+war
Just writing for England with my History homework here...

I'm all for getting homework over the holidays but resent homework being set for the summer holidays which i believe is a time for relaxing. Left it all until Monday and not really trying my hardest with it despite this being an important year...the feedback from it will be welcomed with great pleasure, though!
4 days off start right here Smile
Feeling drained so I'm glad... Lack of focus has been terrible this week lol!
Had a hell of an afternoon this afternoon too so I'm glad that's over
(03 Sep 2015, 8:18 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]4 days off start right here Smile
Feeling drained so I'm glad... Lack of focus has been terrible this week lol!
Had a hell of an afternoon this afternoon too so I'm glad that's over

Not working some of your rest days?
(03 Sep 2015, 8:28 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Not working some of your rest days?

I don't tend to do overtime, though I've not been asked either...
Having said that, checking the sheet earlier I think everything had been covered!
1 - I've got a day off after working 8 days in a row.

2 - My button idea for my website to make it much tidier for when I finally get round to relaunching it (scheduled for Jan 2016).

Here are some example of the buttons (incomplete without text (apart from tester) which will be added at a later date).

[attachment=7084]

[attachment=7087]

[attachment=7090]

[attachment=7094]

[attachment=7086]

[attachment=7091]

[attachment=7093]

[attachment=7089]

[attachment=7088]

[attachment=7092]

[attachment=7085]
(04 Sep 2015, 1:03 am)GMitchelhill wrote [ -> ]1 - I've got a day off after working 8 days in a row.

2 - My button idea for my website to make it much tidier for when I finally get round to relaunching it (scheduled for Jan 2016).

Here are some example of the buttons (incomplete without text (apart from tester) which will be added at a later date).

They do look very professional, Gary! I look forward to viewing your site.
Only downside I need to make a good couple hundred of them.
Big'un is happy because he's got his first coin with the new version of her Maj's 'eed on it.
Good driving by the driver on the 265...The closest I have ever come to being in a bus crash...

The driving made me happy, not the fact I was nearly in a crash, lol
(04 Sep 2015, 1:20 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Good driving by the driver on the 265...The closest I have ever come to being in a bus crash...

The driving made me happy, not the fact I was nearly in a crash, lol
4/5 years ago I was on the 265 from Hetton to Durham, a Yellow Bus Palatine 1 and it vandalised on the route. The driver panicked.
(04 Sep 2015, 5:26 pm)NK53 TKT wrote [ -> ]4/5 years ago I was on the 265 from Hetton to Durham, a Yellow Bus Palatine 1 and it vandalised on the route. The driver panicked.
It did not trade paint with a lorry by any chance with both vehicles losing there wing mirrors did it?
Today at around 12 hours ago I am off to somewhere nice this coming Wednesday all revealed in the due course all I can say it is out of this world