North East Buses

Full Version: Whats made you happy today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(03 Feb 2015, 8:21 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I'm going to have to try and get myself on one just so I know what all the fuss is about!

Just do a 64 between Durham and the Arnison Centre (I don't know if anyone else has realised, but my mam shops there regularly and I notice a few people on here just call it 'Arnison Centre'...I'm positive its 'The Arnison Centre' Tongue).

Even if it kills you!
(03 Feb 2015, 8:21 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I'm going to have to try and get myself on one just so I know what all the fuss is about!

It's even worse if you are tall because there is so little space between seats.

To ride one they'd have to be on the road and not in the depot or broken down somewhere.
(03 Feb 2015, 8:22 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Just do a 64 between Durham and the Arnison Centre (I don't know if anyone else has realised, but my mam shops there regularly and I notice a few people on here just call it 'Arnison Centre'...I'm positive its 'The Arnison Centre' Tongue).

Even if it kills you!

I think it's "Arnison Centre" technically but everyone says it as "The Arnison Centre" as if you say "lets go to Arnison Centre" it just doesn't sound right to me.

Still a few Darts kicking about on the 64 at the moment although more Enviros looked to have entered service.

I would suggest the 8/8A but there is always something that isn't a Dart out on there as they are scared they'll brake down and don't want them to stray too far from the depot or they are in the depot.
(03 Feb 2015, 8:25 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]It's even worse if you are tall because there is so little space between seats.

To ride one they'd have to be on the road and not in the depot or broken down somewhere.

There's not enough leg room for me on Enviros - I have to sit on the seats next to the emergency exits or seats that face sidewards.
(03 Feb 2015, 8:32 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]There's not enough leg room for me on Enviros - I have to sit on the seats next to the emergency exits or seats that face sidewards.

It's worse on these, again only seats with space are the sideways seats behind the cab, wheelchair bay and at the back next to the emergency exit.

Annoying when I had 1304 on the X24 the other week it was not very busy but these were the only occupied seats.
Seeing that the 82 drivers haven't a clue where there going! They're going anywhere or everywhere in Birtley. That kind of amused me this morning. But I don't think anyone knows where they are stopping or what
(04 Feb 2015, 9:03 am)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]Seeing that the 82 drivers haven't a clue where there going! They're going anywhere or everywhere in Birtley. That kind of amused me this morning. But I don't think anyone knows where they are stopping or what

Did you see my comments on the 82/82A in the 'changes' thread from a few weeks back?
It was only when cbma uploaded the Nexus timetable, that I was able to work out the route. Nowt from GNE for passengers at all, with regard to the route in Birtley and going off the information you have provided, nowt (clear anyway) from GNE to their own staff at Washington.
If it was clear, drivers would know the route.
If passenger info had been provided, they will have known where to stand.

Where have they been going like?
Some have been going straight along Durham road, some all down Vigo Lane, some up Harras Bank, come by the church and going both directions along the bottom. All the drivers are saying somthing different
Having a KFC. Big Grin
(05 Feb 2015, 8:51 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]Finally getting the wheels in motion for my train trip to London and back (I'm very sorry) with the tickets I won in East Coast's Bid For a Seat competition. The trains are booked and the tickets are currently in the post.

Has to be a Saturday when I go, so on Saturday 21st of this month, I'm going down with my cousins. Getting there, we're travelling on the 06:55 service from NCL, a Mallard 225 operated service. To come back, we're getting the 21:00 train, an HST operated service, so I suppose I do get to sample both types of train.

I still have no idea what we're doing when we're there. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've already been to WHSmith and bought an A-Z of London, but knowing my non-existent sense of direction, I will still probably get lost...
Apart from the general touristy stuff, have you checked to see if there are any matches on that day? Brick Lane is an experience.

I would recommend sorting out an Oyster card if you don't have one.
In London there is:

Chelsea v Burnley
Crystal Palace v Arsenal
Spurs v West Ham

Two London Derbies there.
(05 Feb 2015, 8:51 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]Finally getting the wheels in motion for my train trip to London and back (I'm very sorry) with the tickets I won in East Coast's Bid For a Seat competition. The trains are booked and the tickets are currently in the post.

Has to be a Saturday when I go, so on Saturday 21st of this month, I'm going down with my cousins. Getting there, we're travelling on the 06:55 service from NCL, a Mallard 225 operated service. To come back, we're getting the 21:00 train, an HST operated service, so I suppose I do get to sample both types of train.

I still have no idea what we're doing when we're there. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've already been to WHSmith and bought an A-Z of London, but knowing my non-existent sense of direction, I will still probably get lost...

Get yourselves some Oyster Cards before you go down. Make sure everything is topped up, because using the bus and the tube will come in very handy, and a lot better than taxis. Speaking of which, while you're down there - try a London Cab for the sake of it. Big Grin

I would recommend a walk in Covent Garden, maybe visit the gates at Buckingham Palace but it's probably going to be rammed with foreigners. Perhaps you could book yourselves on a river boat cruise down the River Thames?

Try out a Borismaster while you're there too, the M&M Factory somewhere near Leicester Square, and the Haagen Dazs café there too.

Trying to think of what else I did in London...I wouldn't recommend any of the shows because it'll be pointless with you're return time and the fact that most are way too overrated.

Knightsbridge tube station is the one for Harrod's, I would recommend a visit there. Go to Hamley's on Regent Street - dozens of buses pass through there every minute. Speaking of Regent Street, lots of other things like an Apple shop there too.

I would use Leicester Square tube station for all of your Covent Garden/Leicester Square things - you'll end up waiting ages for the lifts at Covent Garden and when I was last down there in November, one platform was out of action and caused absolute chaos. Dodge Covent Garden tube station at all costs.

So yeah, get Oyster Cards for each of you and you'll find everything is much less stressful. But always be wary of your surroundings - tramps and the others know all the tricks in the book, and also, without wanting to sound racist, always be wary when you get on a tube or a bus. Never forget 7/7.

Anyway, enjoy your trip, Adam! Smile
(05 Feb 2015, 9:00 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Knightsbridge tube station is the one for Harrod's, I would recommend a visit there. Go to Hamley's on Regent Street - dozens of buses pass through there every minute. Speaking of Regent Street, lots of other things like an Apple shop there too.

Can anyone remember the Hamleys on Northumberland Street in Newcastle?

It was where HMV used to be.
(05 Feb 2015, 9:03 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Can anyone remember the Hamleys on Northumberland Street in Newcastle?

It was where HMV used to be.

Was just about to ask the same question!
(05 Feb 2015, 9:04 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Was just about to ask the same question!

Got this from there:

[Image: 400px-G1Metroplex_toy.jpg]
(05 Feb 2015, 9:09 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Got this from there:

[Image: 400px-G1Metroplex_toy.jpg]

But did the hologram work? If I remember right, it changed colour depending on if it was a goodie or baddy (can't remember the names).
(05 Feb 2015, 9:12 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]But did the hologram work? If I remember right, it changed colour depending on if it was a goodie or baddy (can't remember the names).

I think the hologram thing was heat based. It did work though - it changed colour depending on how hard you rubbed it. 
(05 Feb 2015, 9:43 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]Cheers Andreos and Marcus Smile Certainly a lot to do in just a day.

I've already previously had a look at the Oyster cards. I've seen there is a one specifically for Tourists, so 3 of them will be going on order.

I planned on getting a Borismaster from somewhere to somewhere. I'm sure the 10 stops right outside King's Cross and is operated by Borismasters. I'll have to check what routes are Borismaster operated.

Marcus, you mention lifts at Covent Garden. I think I'd rather take the stairs. I've got this very weird dodgy phobia of lifts. At uni, I'm stuck on the 4th floor for every lecture/seminar bar one, so I always take the stairs, even if it does tire me out.

Do you know how many steps there are.........................193....Tongue
(05 Feb 2015, 9:43 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]Cheers Andreos and Marcus Smile Certainly a lot to do in just a day.

I've already previously had a look at the Oyster cards. I've seen there is a one specifically for Tourists, so 3 of them will be going on order.

I planned on getting a Borismaster from somewhere to somewhere. I'm sure the 10 stops right outside King's Cross and is operated by Borismasters. I'll have to check what routes are Borismaster operated.

Marcus, you mention lifts at Covent Garden. I think I'd rather take the stairs. I've got this very weird dodgy phobia of lifts. At uni, I'm stuck on the 4th floor for every lecture/seminar bar one, so I always take the stairs, even if it does tire me out.

The thing is, lifts are much safer than the stairs!
I hate escalators, so always take the lifts. Even if on the metro they stink!
(05 Feb 2015, 9:47 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]The thing is, lifts are much safer than the stairs!
I hate escalators, so always take the lifts. Even if on the metro they stink!

They cram about 30-40 people into each of the lifts. They only stop letting people in if they literally can't fit your body in. It's scary, tbh.

I hated used Covent Garden tube station, but London Bridge which was nearest my hotel was a doddle.