North East Buses

Full Version: Whats made you happy today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(27 Aug 2015, 7:32 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Spookily, this has just appeared on fb.
Squinting like mad, but cant make you out on no 3.

Which FB link? If it's the Chronicle one, I don't think I'm on any of them - I've checked.
(27 Aug 2015, 7:40 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Which FB link? If it's the Chronicle one, I don't think I'm on any of them - I've checked.
sorry, this one: http://newcastleuncovered.com/growing-up...the-1990s/
(27 Aug 2015, 8:03 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]sorry, this one: http://newcastleuncovered.com/growing-up...the-1990s/

I see it mentions the pirate ship.

The pirate ship used to have an adjustable timer. It was supposed to be set at two minutes but I used to set it longer so I could sit and daydream about leaving the place for a little while longer. 

So, during the time I worked there, if you experienced a ten minute marathon on the pirate ship, in all probability, it was probably me who was operating it.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:10 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I see it mentions the pirate ship.

The pirate ship used to have an adjustable timer. It was supposed to be set at two minutes but I used to set it longer so I could sit and daydream about leaving the place for a little while longer. 

So, during the time I worked there, if you experienced a ten minute marathon on the pirate ship, in all probability, it was probably me who was operating it.

I always recall standing there whilst letting a boat load or two go on first, just so I could sit at the narrow seat either end of it. It didn't half give you butterflies haha.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:14 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I always recall standing there whilst letting a boat load or two go on first, just so I could sit at the narrow seat either end of it. It didn't half give you butterflies haha.

You weren't the only one. The back seats were always the most popular. At times you had to force people onto the ship as no-one wanted to sit in the middle.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:17 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]You weren't the only one. The back seats were always the most popular. At times you had to force people onto the ship as no-one wanted to sit in the middle.

Not surprised. If you got the seats facing right in the middle, where the mast was, you barely even moved! We used to try and get right at the back of the rollercoaster too, as you got more of the 'pull' when it went downhill.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Not surprised. If you got the seats facing right in the middle, where the mast was, you barely even moved! We used to try and get right at the back of the rollercoaster too, as you got more of the 'pull' when it went downhill.

Again, many an argument with punters wishing to wait for the back seats when it was busy. I've witnessed a few fights for the back seats too.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:21 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Again, many an argument with punters wishing to wait for the back seats when it was busy. I've witnessed a few fights for the back seats too.

I went on the boat once with people from school once and three of us sat at the back and someone else we knew tried to cram himself in and then I was ordered to move and ended up sat next to randoms. felt like a right prat!
(27 Aug 2015, 8:10 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I see it mentions the pirate ship.

Looking at the dates you mentioned, I had been, gone and was almost on my way back with little Constantopolous when you were working there.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:21 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Again, many an argument with punters wishing to wait for the back seats when it was busy. I've witnessed a few fights for the back seats too.

I once saw a HUGE row on 6038 for the front top deck seats
(27 Aug 2015, 8:31 pm)NK53 TKT wrote [ -> ]I once saw a HUGE row on 6038 for the front top deck seats

The front top deck seats on 6038 are no match for the Metroland rollercoaster. I can assure you of that.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:26 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Looking at the dates you mentioned, I had been, gone and was almost on my way back with little Constantopolous when you were working there.

My days of being a punter there probably coincided with yours. I remember going often in the early 90s when the park was open 'til late on a Friday/Saturday night. Then, all of a sudden, you had to pay to be in the park and barriers were placed at both entrances. When I worked there, the park had been opened up again.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:35 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]My days of being a punter there probably coincided with yours. I remember going often in the early 90s when the park was open 'til late on a Friday/Saturday night. Then, all of a sudden, you had to pay to be in the park and barriers were placed at both entrances. When I worked there, the park had been opened up again.

Were the wristbands in from the start, or when did they come into play
(27 Aug 2015, 8:34 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]The front top deck seats on 6038 are no match for the Metroland rollercoaster. I can assure you of that.

Don't know about 6038 but I thought the Metroland Coaster was a bit crap to be honest. 

The coaster itself is still in operation. It was rebuilt and reopened this year at some theme park in Devon.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nort...in-8612419
(27 Aug 2015, 8:38 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Were the wristbands in from the start, or when did they come into play

As far as I know, they were always there although the barcoded version came in at a later date.

I remember going there shortly after it opened in 1988 and having wristbands but don't recall having to let ride operators scan them. I think they were coloured depending on which day it was, but, then again, I may be getting confused with Whitley Bay Leisure Pool which operated a similar system.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:38 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Were the wristbands in from the start, or when did they come into play

I may be getting mixed up, but I am sure you could buy tokens for individual rides (like Ocean Beach). The wristbands gave you unlimited rides if I remember right.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:45 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I may be getting mixed up, but I am sure you could buy tokens for individual rides (like Ocean Beach). The wristbands gave you unlimited rides if I remember right.
That sounds about right. One of my mates mam used to get us cheap wristbands through the civil service HASSRA scheme. I never bothered with tokens, but I think they were mandatory for the waltzer?

I used to always get ocean beach tokens on offer. I'm sure the chronicle used to do them 10 quid for 30 quids worth or something?
(27 Aug 2015, 8:45 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I may be getting mixed up, but I am sure you could buy tokens for individual rides (like Ocean Beach). The wristbands gave you unlimited rides if I remember right.

You were able to buy individual tickets when I worked there and, as you say, the wristbands entitled you to unlimited usage of the rides owned by Arlington Leisure. 

The Waltzer and MontyZumas (formerly King Wiz' Castle or the soft-play area) were owned by different companies. However, when it first opened, King Wiz's Castle was part of the original set-up. The Waltzer (or the area which the walzer was located) used to be some sort of 3D attraction when it first opened.

I think the Waltzer eventually became part of the wristband deal, but this was after I left.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:48 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]That sounds about right. One of my mates mam used to get us cheap wristbands through the civil service HASSRA scheme. I never bothered with tokens, but I think they were mandatory for the waltzer?

I used to always get ocean beach tokens on offer. I'm sure the chronicle used to do them 10 quid for 30 quids worth or something?
If we had been bowling or were killing time before a film started at the old pictures, we would maybe scoot into Metroland for a quick look *perv* around. Maybe even going on a ride or two in the process.
We never got wristbands those times.

If we didn't get chatting to a stunner from Blaydon (they weren't fussy about Nike Airs then), it was generally a scoot into the game shop outside Metroland or the other side of the food village place.
(27 Aug 2015, 8:54 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]If we had been bowling or were killing time before a film started at the old pictures, we would maybe scoot into Metroland for a quick look *perv* around. Maybe even going on a ride or two in the process.
We never got wristbands those times.

If we didn't get chatting to a stunner from Blaydon (they weren't fussy about Nike Airs then), it was generally a scoot into the game shop outside Metroland or the other side of the food village place.

Microbyte?

I got my NES chipped there!