North East Buses

Full Version: Whats made you happy today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(29 Oct 2014, 10:29 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I remember getting a Tiscali cd rom through the post getting on 17/18 years ago and using them on a 1p per minute dial up!

#blastfromthepast
#hashtagsonNEB
I think Tiscali were the first ISP we signed up to back in 1999/2000...think we were on a pay as you go deal with them, for some reason we always had to reconnect after 2 hours...Those were the days, 56k Dial-Up Modems, I once downloaded a film years ago, it took a week to download...Got that down to about 24 hours on a basic broadband deal and now with fibre optic can get a film in minutes when I got a strong connection.

I miss those old days, before Facebook and Twitter, MSN Messenger was the thing to communicate, yahoo chat was at it's finest and ICQ was also huge Big Grin
I used to use mIRC back in the mid-to-late 90's.

There were some interesting chat-rooms relating to hacking. I learned how to do some entry-level stuff back in the day.
(29 Oct 2014, 10:47 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]I used to use mIRC back in the mid-to-late 90's.

There were some interesting chat-rooms relating to hacking. I learned how to do some entry-level stuff back in the day.
Would love to have learnt a bit hacking, but I could never get my head round it, the nearest I got to being a hacker was with some kind of programme that stole passwords and gave me some control remotely over peoples computers...I simply was never patient to be a serious hacker...

I used to knock about with a kid in Durham who was sent to jail for hacking, did quite some damage

Hackers jailed over global virus
I kinda wish I'd kept it up but I'm kinda of glad I didn't as I'd probably be viewing this forum from a shared computer in some jail somewhere.

I lost interest when people started to take internet security seriously. Whatever I learned is pretty much obsolete now.
(29 Oct 2014, 11:01 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]I kinda wish I'd kept it up but I'm kinda of glad I didn't as I'd probably be viewing this forum from a shared computer in some jail somewhere.

I lost interest when people started to take internet security seriously. Whatever I learned is pretty much obsolete now.

Probably the reason I could not get into it, I nearly got sent to jail once or twice, and probably didn't want to give the magistrate another reason to send me to jail...

Things like my acquaintance getting sent down and then the cases of people like Gary McKinnon put me off, I am probably the kind of person who would have gone too far and ended up with a one way ticket to an American Penetentiary or a 1 way ticket to Guantanamo Bay as I would be the type of person who would want to snoop on the Pentagon and DoD lol Big Grin
Anyone remember Madasafish as an ISP? I think I briefly used them, alongside Virgin, Freeware, and Pipex. First got broadband in about 98/99 I think, and that was through Pipex. Went to UK online after that, and then on to Sky. Plus all the way now.
(29 Oct 2014, 10:47 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]I used to use mIRC back in the mid-to-late 90's.

IRC was great back in the late 90s / early 00s, and then pretty much died off. I used to be an oper on a network of about 3000 users, which was interesting! Met some right characters, and learnt a lot from others.
When did NTL come along? I remember us having them before the Virgin Media takeover - but can't really remember anything before then!
(29 Oct 2014, 11:37 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]When did NTL come along? I remember us having them before the Virgin Media takeover - but can't really remember anything before then!

I think NTL was about 2003/04ish? Telewest and Blueyonder before that.
(29 Oct 2014, 11:42 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I think NTL was about 2003/04ish? Telewest and Blueyonder before that.
Telewest rings a bell actually!

Anyway, had a nice night tonight which made me quite happy. I've a story to tell in the morning relating to Nexus CAT tickets, GNE and GCT though...wasn't too happy about that!
Weren't Telewest the first to have the naming rights the (now) Metro Radio Arena???
One of those two hacker guys, was the son of a fella my Dad worked with.
No idea which one like.

Telewest did sponsor the arena back in the day and I am sure NTL were around before 2003/4 - going solely off their sponsorship of Newcastle Utd (players like Gallagher, Shearer, Dyer etc and Robson as gaffer).
(30 Oct 2014, 5:17 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]One of those two hacker guys, was the son of a fella my Dad worked with.
No idea which one like.

Telewest did sponsor the arena back in the day and I am sure NTL were around before 2003/4 - going solely off their sponsorship of Newcastle Utd (players like Gallagher, Shearer, Dyer etc and Robson as gaffer).

Hope ya not eating ya breakfast whil reading this Big Grin

When I was 17, I went to one of the lads houses(Brad, on the right in that link I shared) over Spennymoor way, I had been drinking in Newcastle all day and had been smoking the Rastafarian Old Holborn, a few of us were sat in his room watching him try to hack some NHS server, when all of a sudden I felt my guts turn, tried to make it to the bathroom and like a scene out The Exorcist I puked all over, it was projectile vomit, hit the wall 5ft in front of me and not a drop hit the deck, my ability to vomit became a joke, I once puked all over someones front door who I was calling on, and could puke on cue for comedy effect...
Seen a different way for a driver acknowledge a brother driver last week, 2 Arriva buses passed each other,near Easington Dog Track...

Instead of a simple bus driver wave, they stuck there hands out the window and hand slapped/high 5 each other...

Whats that all about, is the simple handslap the bus driver version of a Masonic Handshake...

Never understood why they wave at each other, even I get a wave now and again...I know a driver who did funny shit instead of a wave depending on his mood, sometimes he mimicked playing air guitar, if he was in a bit of a mood, he put a clenched fist to his neck mimicking being hanged and sometimes he gave a salute

Sorry...just someting completely random post Big Grin
(31 Oct 2014, 3:50 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Seen a different way for a driver acknowledge a brother driver last week, 2 Arriva buses passed each other,near Easington Dog Track...

Instead of a simple bus driver wave, they stuck there hands out the window and hand slapped/high 5 each other...

Whats that all about, is the simple handslap the bus driver version of a Masonic Handshake...

Never understood why they wave at each other, even I get a wave now and again...I know a driver who did funny shit instead of a wave depending on his mood, sometimes he mimicked playing air guitar, if he was in a bit of a mood, he put a clenched fist to his neck mimicking being hanged and sometimes he gave a salute

Sorry...just someting completely random post Big Grin

#BusDriverLADs
#HashtagsonNEB
seeing one of my friends really made me feel fantastic and had the best food ever in Barnard Castle next time am down am going via Bishop Auckland
(01 Nov 2014, 9:11 pm)Racer_Experience wrote [ -> ]seeing one of my friends really made me feel fantastic and had the best food ever in Barnard Castle next time am down am going via Bishop Auckland
Barny must be a fair hike for you mate
(01 Nov 2014, 9:38 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Barny must be a fair hike for you mate

If he was going from Sunderland, he'd have to spend two hours on the X21/21, then the 75 which is about a hour. Quite a way like.
(01 Nov 2014, 9:45 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]If he was going from Sunderland, he'd have to spend two hours on the X21/21, then the 75 which is about a hour. Quite a way like.
That is quite a hike, I could probably to Scarborough in a similar amout of travelling time...

Have not been to Barnard Castle for years...might have a wander over there sometime
If he was going from Sunderland, he'd have to spend two hours on the X21/21, then the 75 which is about a hour. Quite a way like.
Looking at his Flickr that's what he probably did, from Darlington you can get either the Arriva 75/76 which takes about 45 minutes or the Scarlet Band 84 which takes about 50 minutes.

I keep meaning to get some photos in Barney but I haven't had time, I'd also like to sample the Scarlet Band 83/84/85.
Is there buses to Barney from Bishop?