North East Buses

Full Version: Whats made you happy today?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11 Dec 2014, 5:19 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I thought he might have been a serviceman or something, that's why I mentioned it Smile
Great job though!

Thanks a lot. Smile

He went down the pits at Pelton a Fell when he was 14 (shocking to think that as I'm 14 now, and could never do that!) and moved down to Stoke when my mam was born in 1963. When the pits ran dry down there, he came back up to Kibblesworth (using a bus to get from there to Pelton every day) in 1966. Was there nearly there twenty years until it closed in 1984 or 1985. He then became a security guard over at Seaham and retired in 1995 when my grandma my diagnosed with bowel cancer.

I was born years later and she died four days after I was born on October 3 2000. He died March 31 2014.

Bit of a life story! Tongue
The fact that it is now Friday and the first ever Card Collecting Game tournament I'm taking part in takes place tomorrow (Saturday). And plus I manage to pull an ultra rare card on the new editions of cards released today. (I only got the first 2 out of the box didn't I.)
Finished my final 2 uni assignments of the semester last night. Off to Durham for a Christmas meal with some work colleagues and then sleep! Tongue
I came 2nd in the card tourney.
It's been a rather happy week...

Went to Beamish on Wednesday as a school trip, broke up for Christmas on Thursday and had a night out with Sixth Form/teachers that evening, went to a meal and party last night, having a chill day today and going to Prague tomorrow!
On Monday I've got a rather special day coming up. Smile

Basically, I'm in Set 1 for languages, and we never get anything nice because they always focus on getting the lower sets more involved and enjoying the subjects.

So, the Head of French has arranged for us to do a re-enactment of the Christmas Truce (you know, that football match they had!) that took place in WW1. Basically, population one will be the Germans (get in, that's me!) and population two will be the French (ribbit).

Should be an interesting day! - I don't know much about football, but I gather I'll just need a whistle and a nerf gun and I'll be fine! Wink
(13 Dec 2014, 5:09 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]On Monday I've got a rather special day coming up. Smile

Basically, I'm in Set 1 for languages, and we never get anything nice because they always focus on getting the lower sets more involved and enjoying the subjects.

So, the Head of French has arranged for us to do a re-enactment of the Christmas Truce (you know, that football match they had!) that took place in WW1. Basically, population one will be the Germans (get in, that's me!) and population two will be the French (ribbit).

Should be an interesting day! - I don't know much about football, but I gather I'll just need a whistle and a nerf gun and I'll be fine! Wink
Great idea...

At least it keeps the memory of the Truce alive...

Hope you enjoy it buddy
(13 Dec 2014, 5:09 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]On Monday I've got a rather special day coming up. Smile

Great idea...

Hope you enjoy it buddy
(13 Dec 2014, 5:55 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Great idea...

Hope you enjoy it buddy

Thanks Fozz! Smile - have you got any plans for Monday?
(13 Dec 2014, 5:56 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote [ -> ]Thanks Fozz! Smile - have you got any plans for Monday?
Dunno mate, I rarely plan ahead, only when I have to...probably visit my old aunt on the afternoon
(13 Dec 2014, 5:58 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Dunno mate, I rarely plan ahead, only when I have to...probably visit my old aunt on the afternoon

I was going to see my Grandma today, but my Uncle's come up from London, so luckily I don't have to!

I love her, but you say hello and you're talking to her for three hours! Tongue
(13 Dec 2014, 3:07 pm)GMitchelhill wrote [ -> ]I came 2nd in the card tourney.

Never heard of CCG tournaments for years, but I remember people playing DBZ and Magic through Pojo a good 10 years ago now.
Working out how much I've earnt in wages this week thanks to the backlog of parcels that needed sorting for delivery. 51 hours worked - 40 of those at basic rate (£7 an hour), 9 at time and a half (£10.50) plus 2 hours last Sunday on £14 an hour (£28). So, I'm looking at £402.50 for a week of work before tax when I receive my pay slip for this present fornight in 3 weeks time.
(13 Dec 2014, 9:15 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Never heard of CCG tournaments for years, but I remember people playing DBZ and Magic through Pojo a good 10 years ago now.

We had a 2nd tourney which involved the new release of cards plus 2 booster packs. Came joint 2nd in that too and managed to pull out another ultra rare card in the booster packs I received as prizes.
(13 Dec 2014, 9:57 pm)GMitchelhill wrote [ -> ]We had a 2nd tourney which involved the new release of cards plus 2 booster packs. Came joint 2nd in that too and managed to pull out another ultra rare card in the booster packs I received as prizes.

Nice one. Which game is it you play?

(13 Dec 2014, 9:38 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]Working out how much I've earnt in wages this week thanks to the backlog of parcels that needed sorting for delivery. 51 hours worked - 40 of those at basic rate (£7 an hour), 9 at time and a half (£10.50) plus 2 hours last Sunday on £14 an hour (£28). So, I'm looking at £402.50 for a week of work before tax when I receive my pay slip for this present fornight in 3 weeks time.

Not bad. You shouldn't get hit too bad tax wise though? Are you planning some trips away with it?
(13 Dec 2014, 10:15 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Nice one. Which game is it you play?

Ah for that question. Well let say I'm keeping my cards close to my chest with concerns about the answer to that one.

But put it this way. I've only been playing this card game since the middle of November, and I ended up being 3rd best out of the 8 people that took part.
(13 Dec 2014, 10:15 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Not bad. You shouldn't get hit too bad tax wise though? Are you planning some trips away with it?

I get paid fornightly (better than two years ago when I worked the same shift and was getting paid monthly) so I'm about to start the second week of this fornight (which I don't see pay for until 2nd January I believe). So far I've been paid just over £1000 for 4 weeks with 2 weeks outstanding (this week is my eighth week there) but have paid about £200-£300 in tax and NI. As it's unlikely it will lead to full time employment, I'll be able to claim back my tax at the end of the tax year as I've also got a few quid from my normal part-time catering role to claim back.

As for what the money is for - so far £50 has gone towards my latest camera, and £80 to my grandma for home costs (food, electric etc). Plus Christmas shopping cost. At present, I've moved a small sum into my ISA account to pay for various things next year - driving lessons as well as a few trips away.
Arrived safely in Prague and the cocktails are now on the go! ;-)
(14 Dec 2014, 6:56 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Arrived safely in Prague and the cocktails are now on the go! ;-)

Prague is supposed to be really cheap, i heard its like Poland and its about 1 euro 50 for a pint
(14 Dec 2014, 7:02 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Prague is supposed to be really cheap, i heard its like Poland and its about 1 euro 50 for a pint
You've gotta get out of the touristy bits first.

It's roughly 33 Prague currency to 1 GBP, and the cocktails here are 140 Prague. So not that cheap (yet).