North East Buses

Full Version: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(29 May 2015, 10:34 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I have thought about the stadia thing for a while.

I am not sure whether it would have happened or not.
The influx of TV money from the likes of Sky, have possibly helped speed things up - but on the other side of the coin, I am not sure football would have been as marketable - with the old stadiums.

If you go back to the early days of Sky and the Premier League, there were old grounds. Oldham, Boro, Sunderland, Coventry, Southampton etc
With prize money and TV revenue, we gradually saw the stadia improve. Clubs could afford to do it.
Football became glamorous, as a result of three things: Taylor, Premier League and Sky.

There will be exceptions to the rule like, with SJP being extended the first time round via club money and a tie up with Cameron Hall (John Hall paying himself basically) and the whole ball started moving, prior to promotion into the top flight.
One comment I heard a while back sent shivers through me, regarding where we found ourselves by 1992(Premier League and Sky entry into the game), it does sound quite bad when I say it but...

It was as if Bradford and Hillsborough had to happen, disasters that were inevitable, if they never happened when they did, it would have happened some other time, I think we needed the wake up call, most grounds had no improvements since the early 20th Century, no new Stadia for nearly 40 years(Roots Hall, Southend).

The one aspect of the Taylor Report I will never agree with is the need for All-seated stadia, Taylor never blamed Terracing for the deaths, that should never have made it into the report.

I believe we needed to get away from the massive kop style terraces, I will never forget being on the Fulwell End at Sunderland in 1990 or 91 and when Sunderland scored I was shoved into the barrier, cut my lip and nearly had a few teeth knocked out when I was smashed into the crush barrier...Though I never minded paddocks The Clock Stand and Main Stand...Did there used to be paddocks at SJP down what is today's Milburn Stand and East Stand???

I will shut up now, am starting to talk shite
(29 May 2015, 10:58 am)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Here is a question for you mate

Name a team who were founders of the Premier League i.e. they were involved in the meetings when the breakaway was discussed, but have never played in the division?

Don't google it [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Pure punt, but Luton?
Trying to think who had a season or two in the top flight around late 80's/early 90's.

Millwall came down in 88/89 if I remember right.
Oldham played a season or two of the Prem.

Cambridge came close to promotion a couple of times, as did Notts County. They never made it.
(29 May 2015, 11:36 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Pure punt, but Luton?
Trying to think who had a season or two in the top flight around late 80's/early 90's.

Millwall came down in 88/89 if I remember right.
Oldham played a season or two of the Prem.

Cambridge came close to promotion a couple of times, as did Notts County. They never made it.

I'll give ya that one, Notts County were relegated in the final year of the old 2nd Division Big Grin

The first teams to come to my mind when I first heard that was Oxford, Peterborough, Cambridge and Brighton who were there or thereabouts in the old 2nd div
(29 May 2015, 11:38 am)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]I'll give ya that one, Notts County were relegated in the final year of the old 2nd Division Big Grin

The first teams to come to my mind when I first heard that was Oxford, Peterborough, Cambridge and Brighton who were there or thereabouts in the old 2nd div

Never thought about Oxford.
They went off the boil after Maxwell fell off his boat.

Who was the team in question?
(29 May 2015, 11:53 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Never thought about Oxford.
They went off the boil after Maxwell fell off his boat.

Who was the team in question?
The team was Notts County Big Grin
(29 May 2015, 11:18 am)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]One comment I heard a while back sent shivers through me, regarding where we found ourselves by 1992(Premier League and Sky entry into the game), it does sound quite bad when I say it but...

It was as if Bradford and Hillsborough had to happen, disasters that were inevitable, if they never happened when they did, it would have happened some other time, I think we needed the wake up call, most grounds had no improvements since the early 20th Century, no new Stadia for nearly 40 years(Roots Hall, Southend).

The one aspect of the Taylor Report I will never agree with is the need for All-seated stadia, Taylor never blamed Terracing for the deaths, that should never have made it into the report.

I believe we needed to get away from the massive kop style terraces, I will never forget being on the Fulwell End at Sunderland in 1990 or 91 and when Sunderland scored I was shoved into the barrier, cut my lip and nearly had a few teeth knocked out when I was smashed into the crush barrier...Though I never minded paddocks The Clock Stand and Main Stand...Did there used to be paddocks at SJP down what is today's Milburn Stand and East Stand???

I will shut up now, am starting to talk shite

Aye, the Milburn had a paddock. Think it was still there for the first season in the Premier League.
Can't remember the East Stand having one at that point though. It has had a few makeovers and was never a stand I used too often.

(29 May 2015, 11:53 am)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]The team was Notts County Big Grin

Never realised they made it!
The relegations/promotions had a few changes over that period I think.
24 - 22 - 20. Can't remember how it was staggered.
You can no longer bet on who will be the next Gateshead manager...

#ColinCoopersBlackandWhiteArmy
(29 May 2015, 5:02 pm)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]You can no longer bet on who will be the next Gateshead manager...

#ColinCoopersBlackandWhiteArmy
Is it official now mate???
We should open an NEB book on how long it takes Lee to start moaning about it all

[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
Not official yet but I've been told by someone close too the club
(30 May 2015, 12:46 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]Rio Ferdinand has retired http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32944097
Don't think he had much choice, being widowed recently and having young children to look after

He has had a good career, so now is a good a time as any to pack in

#farewellrio
#nebhashtags
(30 May 2015, 12:53 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Don't think he had much choice, being widowed recently and having young children to look after

He has had a good career, so now is a good a time as any to pack in

#farewellrio
#nebhashtags

I agree there, I also think his legs were starting to go, he didn't have the pace he once had
(30 May 2015, 1:14 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]I agree there, I also think his legs were starting to go, he didn't have the pace he once had
Some big names have left the BPL this season...

Frank Lampard
Steven Gerrard
Rio Ferdinand

There is only really John Terry left from England's so called 'Golden Generation'
(30 May 2015, 1:18 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Some big names have left the BPL this season...

Frank Lampard
Steven Gerrard
Rio Ferdinand

There is only really John Terry left from England's so called 'Golden Generation'

They will be missed next season...
(30 May 2015, 1:21 pm)Davie wrote [ -> ]They will be missed next season...
Liverpool are knackered without Gerrard, look how they went in the aftermath of Suarez leaving, now they have lost the man who is the club through and through
Anyone watching the FA cup edition of Top of the Pops? Classics. Smile
(30 May 2015, 1:18 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Some big names have left the BPL this season...

Frank Lampard
Steven Gerrard
Rio Ferdinand

Meh. Frank Lampard left last season as well didn't he?

There's also a slim chance Gerrard might be back next season too.
(30 May 2015, 1:24 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Liverpool are knackered without Gerrard, look how they went in the aftermath of Suarez leaving, now they have lost the man who is the club through and through

If Sterling leaves their situation becomes even worse
(30 May 2015, 1:29 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Meh. Frank Lampard left last season as well didn't he?

There's also a slim chance Gerrard might be back next season too.

Gerrard had ruled it out when asked at the last home game.