North East Buses

Full Version: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08 Dec 2014, 7:43 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Why do Celtic fans want to see Rangers as far away from the SPL as possible, and for as long as possible? The last good thing to happen in Scottish football was the last derby, and the next good thing to happen is going to be the cup derby at the end of Jan.

The same could be said for all the Newcastle and Sunderland fans who want to see their rival team relegated. The best thing in North East football is the Tyne-Wear derby followed by the Tyne-Wear/Wear-Tees derbies depending on which team you support. 

Personally, I like to see all North Eastern teams do well. 
(08 Dec 2014, 7:54 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Politics are always going to have an influence in everything, as will religion, but I do know what you're saying. Looking at the football alone though, the SPL isn't a marketable concern without Rangers being there. There's not a single Scottish game (other than cup final) than I have any desire whatsoever to watch.
I see where your coming from mate, the Old Firm game is probably one of the highest profile derby games in the world and without it the SPLs status is widely diminished...It will probably not return full time any time soon, as Hearts may have something to say about that, there leading Rangers in the Championship.

I personally think Scotland have it wrong, the SPL end of season is daft, playing each other an odd number of times till the last 5 games, and more often than not, you see the team in 7th finishing with more points than 6th...

Also why have 4 national divisions, they need 4 national leagues as much as England need 5 national leagues, Scotland could get away with 2 divisions of 20/24
(08 Dec 2014, 8:04 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]The same could be said for all the Newcastle and Sunderland fans who want to see their rival team relegated. The best thing in North East football is the Tyne-Wear derby followed by the Tyne-Wear/Wear-Tees derbies depending on which team you support. 

Personally, I like to see all North Eastern teams do well. 
I find Sunderland and Newcastle view Boro as a joke, Boro hate Sunderland and Newcastle, but Newcastle and Sunderland dont have the same hatred the other way and Boro fans hate it
(08 Dec 2014, 8:10 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]I personally think Scotland have it wrong, the SPL end of season is daft, playing each other an odd number of times till the last 5 games, and more often than not, you see the team in  7th finishing with more points than 6th...
How do the Scottish fixtures work, as they play 38 games each, against 11 teams?
(08 Dec 2014, 8:27 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]How do the Scottish fixtures work, as they play 38 games each, against 11 teams?

For the SPL, it used to be that each team plays each other 3 times. After that, the division is split in two, with the top half playing an additional fixture against other teams in that half, and the bottom half playing an additional fixture against teams in their half.
(08 Dec 2014, 8:27 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]How do the Scottish fixtures work, as they play 38 games each, against 11 teams?
They play each other 3 times up to the end of March, then the League is split for the last 5 games...

It is split top 6/bottom 6

The teams then play the teams in the section once more...

11x3 games plus 5 post split gives you 38 games

And as I said earlier, we normally see 7th finish with more points than 6th place, totally absurd in my opinion
Quite pleased with Gateshead's draw away to West Brom. Should be a canny day out.

What's interesting with West Brom though is that they are struggling in the Premier League (currently 16th) and the fans are starting to get frustrated with the team and the manager, so is it feasible to suggest that West Brom could potentially play a weakened side against Gateshead in order to save their better players for PL matches, increasing their chances of survival in the league?

They used to play each other four times during the season. New rules were implemented this season in which teams are now relegated from the second division into the non-league pyramid (and vice versa) - so it may be slightly different. The SPL has a weird set up where the top six and bottom six clubs play only each other towards the end of the season to determine seed positioning.   
(08 Dec 2014, 8:35 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]Quite pleased with Gateshead's draw away to West Brom. Should be a canny day out.

What's interesting with West Brom though is that they are struggling in the Premier League (currently 16th) and the fans are starting to get frustrated with the team and the manager, so is it feasible to suggest that West Brom could potentially play a weakened side against Gateshead in order to save their better players for PL matches, increasing their chances of survival in the league?
All I say to that...

Remember Luton Town

They beat Norwich at Carrow Road a few years ago...

A draw would be good result, dont think WBA would be too hyped up for a replay in deepest darkest Tyne and Wear
(08 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]All I say to that...

Remember Luton Town

A draw would be good result, dont think WBA would be too hyped up for a replay in deepest darkest Tyne and Wear

Add to that Newcastle's record against lower league sides in recent times. 

Gateshead advancing into the Fourth Round at the expense of a Premier League side isn't as daft as it seems.
(08 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]They used to play each other four times during the season. New rules were implemented this season in which teams are now relegated from the second division into the non-league pyramid (and vice versa) - so it may be slightly different. The SPL has a weird set up where the top six and bottom six clubs play only each other towards the end of the season to determine seed positioning.   

The setup for promotion/relegation from Scottish League 2 is through play offs...

The Highland League and Lowland League are directly under League 2, there champions will play off for the chance to play the bottom side in L2
(08 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]All I say to that...

Remember Luton Town

I do indeed remember Luton at Norwich a couple of year ago or whenever it was. It's fixtures like that what show the true magic and uniqueness of the FA Cup.
(08 Dec 2014, 8:43 pm)Adam wrote [ -> ]I do indeed remember Luton at Norwich a couple of year ago or whenever it was. It's fixtures like that what show the true magic and uniqueness of the FA Cup.
I have always said, the form book gets ripped up for one off matches
(08 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]For the SPL, it used to be that each team plays each other 3 times. After that, the division is split in two, with the top half playing an additional fixture against other teams in that half, and the bottom half playing an additional fixture against teams in their half.

(08 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]They play each other 3 times up to the end of March, then the League is split for the last 5 games...

It is split top 6/bottom 6

The teams then play the teams in the section once more...

11x3 games plus 5 post split gives you 38 games

And as I said earlier, we normally see 7th finish with more points than 6th place, totally absurd in my opinion

(08 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm)AdamY wrote [ -> ]They used to play each other four times during the season. New rules were implemented this season in which teams are now relegated from the second division into the non-league pyramid (and vice versa) - so it may be slightly different. The SPL has a weird set up where the top six and bottom six clubs play only each other towards the end of the season to determine seed positioning.   
Cheers all Big Grin 
Can see problems like if, after the first 33 games 4th place down to 7th are within a few points, and 7th ends up coming 4th because of an "easier" run of games.
Suppose some managers /teams could purposely be 7th at the split and then end up finishing way higher... 
(08 Dec 2014, 8:44 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]I have always said, the form book gets ripped up for one off matches

totally agree with you there Fozz
(08 Dec 2014, 8:44 pm)mb134 wrote [ -> ]Cheers all Big Grin 
Can see problems like if, after the first 33 games 4th place down to 7th are within a few points, and 7th ends up coming 4th because of an "easier" run of games.
Suppose some managers /teams could purposely be 7th at the split and then end up finishing way higher... 

Post Split, a team cannot finish lower than 6th or higher than 7th in there section.

7th cannot become 4th and so on, if you finish 7th and you have more points than 5th and 6th, you dont go down on record as finishing higher...

7th will always be 7th regardless...

Take a look at these wiki links

Scottish Premier League
Football in Scotland
Scottish Football League System
Scottish Professional Football League
(08 Dec 2014, 8:58 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Post Split, a team cannot finish lower than 6th or higher than 7th in there section.

7th cannot become 4th and so on, if you finish 7th and you have more points than 5th and 6th, you dont go down on record as finishing higher...

7th will always be 7th regardless...

Take a look at these wiki links

Scottish Premier League
Football in Scotland
Scottish Football League System
Scottish Professional Football League
Ah right, was gonna say!! 
Makes much more sense now, sounds far fairer 
I personally think the split is daft, because you have an odd number of games, is it really fair that a team could possibly play Celtic away twice and only once at home then find themselves in bottom 6 section...

I dont know what the problem was with a 44 game season when they played each other 4 times, that is how the rest of Scotlands divisions work

I think The Championship, League 1 and League 2 have 10 teams and play 36 games
Scottish leagues are rubbish, set up is terrible.
(08 Dec 2014, 9:06 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Scottish leagues are rubbish, set up is terrible.
Agree with that Michael, dont see why they cannot have 2 divisions of 22 or 20/24 and a proper non-league pyramid underneath that offers automatic promotion into the SPFL Leagues