North East Buses

Full Version: 2014-15 Football Season(Who will be the best North East Team)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05 Sep 2013, 5:25 pm)fozzovmurton wrote [ -> ]Although not the closest, but the Harrogate teams, Whitby and Gretna were in the mix with you...

Speaking of Gretna, shame what happened to them, another case of too much too quick...

Anyway best of luck for this season, surely it cannot be more farcical than last season Wink

Now you have Gary Mills at the helm. the time should be now to make an offensive assault on the Conference Big Grin

I forgot about those teams. Kendal Town and Workington were tow more.

Yeah, I think we can now eventually knuckle down now that Mills is in charge. Will be interesting to see if he makes any signings in January. I don't think anyone's season can get more farcical than our last season Smile

Best of luck for Darlington as well. Lets hope they can return to the Conference or League 2 as soon as possible. They really do not deserve to be down in the Evo-Stik North. Such as shame how the old club demised Sad
Even though you have the teams that rush through the pyramids, desperate for their chance of glory - only to seem themselves implode a few years down the line, I wish some of the Northern League teams would apply for promotion and give it a go.

The league is so strong (just look at the Wembley days out over recent years) and the teams would surely give those higher up the ladder a decent fight.

I appreciate there is the extra cost involved, but I genuinely don't see the point of their existence - which seemingly involves playing out a few matches to possibly get to Wembley and having to put up with Barry Hindson wittering on about you every Saturday afternoon, season after season.
Yes, it is sad the Northern League wont take the chance and that will not change anytime soon. The fact is, at least half the Northern League would be more than able to hold there own in the Evo Stik, but we cant forget a lot of teams had there day at the next level and failed, most recently Durham, lost there sponsors a few years ago and ended up voluntarily relegated, Newcastle Blue Star went into liquidation, Spennymoor United went bust, Bishop returned, as did Whitley Bay, and North Shields went tits up in the 90's. The only successful teams to come from the Northern League is Blyth and Whitby and to a certain extent Gretna, who are battling it out in the Evo-Stik and in 10 years time we will probably be added to that list.

The Northern Leagues main concern i think is not getting getting relegated teams in return for teams going up because no team in the Evo Stik falls within the Northern League Footprint.

It is quite possibly the strongest Step 5(Level 9) League in England and there is a perfectly valid reason for that, when the Pyramid was formed in 1979 they wanted no part of it, they were offered the chance to feed the Alliance Premier(Conference) but dug there heels in and stubbornly rejected the chance, by the time they were forced to join in, things like ground criteria meant they had no chance of feeding the Conference, and I believe that is why there massive Southern Bias at Step 2 and this is why teams like Bishops Stortford, Histon, Oxford City, Worcester, Gloucester have played in Conference North at some point.

My solution would be to make promotion mandatory on condition that your ground meets the relevant criteria, and can only refuse promotion if it can be proved that it would be massively detrimental to finances, I would also bar any step 5 team who refuses promotion from the FA Vase the following season and put them in the FA Trophy instead as that is the competition they should be in.

I think the only way Northern League teams right now would take promotion would be if a load of teams were taken en masse, but Blyth and Whitby have proved it can be sustained other teams should lool to them to see what can happen when you try for better things
(05 Sep 2013, 7:24 pm)fozzovmurton wrote [ -> ]Yes, it is sad the Northern League wont take the chance and that will not change anytime soon. The fact is, at least half the Northern League would be more than able to hold there own in the Evo Stik, but we cant forget a lot of teams had there day at the next level and failed, most recently Durham, lost there sponsors a few years ago and ended up voluntarily relegated, Newcastle Blue Star went into liquidation, Spennymoor United went bust, Bishop returned, as did Whitley Bay, and North Shields went tits up in the 90's. The only successful teams to come from the Northern League is Blyth and Whitby and to a certain extent Gretna, who are battling it out in the Evo-Stik and in 10 years time we will probably be added to that list.

The Northern Leagues main concern i think is not getting getting relegated teams in return for teams going up because no team in the Evo Stik falls within the Northern League Footprint.

It is quite possibly the strongest Step 5(Level 9) League in England and there is a perfectly valid reason for that, when the Pyramid was formed in 1979 they wanted no part of it, they were offered the chance to feed the Alliance Premier(Conference) but dug there heels in and stubbornly rejected the chance, by the time they were forced to join in, things like ground criteria meant they had no chance of feeding the Conference, and I believe that is why there massive Southern Bias at Step 2 and this is why teams like Bishops Stortford, Histon, Oxford City, Worcester, Gloucester have played in Conference North at some point.

My solution would be to make promotion mandatory on condition that your ground meets the relevant criteria, and can only refuse promotion if it can be proved that it would be massively detrimental to finances, I would also bar any step 5 team who refuses promotion from the FA Vase the following season and put them in the FA Trophy instead as that is the competition they should be in.

I think the only way Northern League teams right now would take promotion would be if a load of teams were taken en masse, but Blyth and Whitby have proved it can be sustained other teams should lool to them to see what can happen when you try for better things

Using Histon as an example, it wasn't long ago that the were up there, near the top of the Conference.
I went to the game at Eppleton where they played Durham in the final FA Cup qualifier and Durham more than held their own.
If Durham had won that game, they would have ended up playing Swindon Town - probably securing their future, with or without a sponsor.

It is a shame Durham and their pitch caused so many problems - especially as they were on an up at the time, having ex-Newcastle and Sunderland youth team players, probably playing below their level.

Totally agree, the promotion should be compulsory.
Imagine if Blyth Spartans had taken the opportunity to get promotion at their peak of the late 70's/early 80's?
Spennymoor are always there or there abouts and the likes of Whitley Bay and Bedlington Terriers have wasted away in the division - they're only half the teams they used to be.
Hebburn Town almost qualified for the FA Cup First Round Proper a year or two back and they're nowt special compared to the other teams in that league.

All it needs is for one or two teams to take the promotion, steady themselves in the Evo Stick and it should hopefully inspire a few more.

I have had family play for teams in the Northern League as well as a couple of mates and although they might not have been good enough to play league football, there are some who are.
Michael McKay was banging in the goals for in the Northern League before Hartlepool picked him up.
I was at the Durham v Histon game at Hetton, Durham played like they were in the Conference, they were unlucky not to get more than the 2-2 draw, but I am unconvinced they would have been set up financially by playing Swindon, as they could not play at Belmont in the cup, they were having to play Cup games on the road, and they probably would not have got local authority/FA/Police Clearance to play a 1st Round at Hetton, being made to hire a bigger ground in the area to host it.

From what I remember Durham were in the shit the day they were told they would never progress to Conference North with the 3G pitch, financially sound or not, that must have been a kick in the teeth, they went on a massive decline after that, and again if I remember correct, there team the following season was pretty much made up of college kids, average age of about 18/19 and they got the shit kicked out of them every game sometimes having 9 or 10 put on them.

As for Northern League teams in the Cup, Ashington had a good run last year, beating higher teams, only to be beaten by Grimsby in the 4Q Round. I still remember one of the more well known cup runs in recent years, Bedlington in either 98 or 99, they murdered Colchester in the 1st Round 4-1, they were beaten by Scunthorpe in the 2nd.

In recent years, Shildon made the 1st Round in 2003, Newcastle Benfield were defeated by York in 4Q in 2006 and Easington Colliery played Chester and were defeated in 4Q in the early 00's. So the quality of the League is very good, but I feel like there is an attitude like 'we want to be home on good time for tea' and it would not actually surprise me if the League Committee lean on clubs and pressure them not to take promotion, because Chairman Amos himself has been quite opinionated and outspoken on it in the past
http://tyneandwear.sky.com/sportsnews/ar...estimonial

I'm really looking forward to this match now. I never thought I'd ever see some of these players pull on a Newcastle shirt again. Obviously not expecting miracles in the way the match will be played, but none the less!
(07 Sep 2013, 5:28 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]http://tyneandwear.sky.com/sportsnews/ar...estimonial

I'm really looking forward to this match now. I never thought I'd ever see some of these players pull on a Newcastle shirt again. Obviously not expecting miracles in the way the match will be played, but none the less!

I keep humming and harring about it.
School the next day for the eldest and mid-week matches are normally a no-go...
(07 Sep 2013, 5:43 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I keep humming and harring about it.
School the next day for the eldest and mid-week matches are normally a no-go...

Surely an exception can be made when we've got two of the greatest number 9's in the modern age on display. Smile
Full info, courtesy of NUFC.com

Charity kickabout:
Harps testimonial: now it gets serious

A testimonial match celebrating the 20-year career of former Magpies goalkeeper Steve Harper goes ahead at Gallowgate this Wednesday, 11th September (7pm) when his Select XI face an AC Milan Glorie side.

Saturday brought news from the visitors that a man who played for AC Milan between 1994 and 1996, has appeared for their old boys side and is now based in the local area will feature at SJP.

Presumably Paolo won't be getting the Metro home, but may be helped back over the river via the boot of Mr J.Barton or A.Shearer. Has anyone got David Batty's phone number?

Tickets are now on sale online from NUFC here, by phone (0844 372 1892) and in person from SJP. Despite the club communicating that they are on sale in the main ticket office however, personal callers have been redirected to the matchday ticket office on the Milburn Stand side.

The starting XI is yet to be revealed, but the recipient of the testimonial confirms that he will start and not be benched in order to accommodate Shay Given...

All proceeds benefit local charities and including Harper and current United coaches Steve Stone and Peter Beardsley, the Newcastle squad consists of 30 players:

Tino Asprilla, Peter Beardsley, Joey Barton, John Beresford, Lee Bowyer, Olivier Bernard, Nicky Butt, Lee Clark, Andy Cole, Nicos Dabizas, Kieron Dyer, Les Ferdinand, Ruel Fox, Keith Gillespie, David Ginola, Shay Given, Steve Harper, Brian Kilcline, Paul Kitson, Rob Lee, Liam O'Brien, Darren Peacock, Alessandro Pistone, Scott Sellars, Alan Shearer, Nobby Solano, Pavel Srnicek, Alan Thompson, Steve Watson, Steve Stone.

AC Milan Glorie:

Ibrahim Ba, Franco Baresi, Zvonimir Boban, Angelo Carbone, Alessandro Costacurta, Paolo Di Canio, Roberto Favalli, Federico Giunti, Christian Lantignotti, Gianluigi Lentini, Paolo Maldini, Daniele Massaro, Roberto Mussi, Massimo Oddo, Guiseppe Pancaro, Sebastiano Rossi, Massimo Taibi, Mark van Bommel, Pietro Vierchowod, Christian Vieri

The match referee will be Mark Clattenburg, who also took charge of Alan Shearer's testimonial in 2006.

PS: The Park and Ride services that operate on home match days from the Metro Centre and Newcastle Great Park will both run for the Harper Testimonial game.

Due to the fact the Magpie Movers are not valid for travel by any method of transport on that day however, fares will be payable on both services.
(07 Sep 2013, 6:00 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Surely an exception can be made when we've got two of the greatest number 9's in the modern age on display. Smile

He is just finding his feet at comp too... Mind, at least I don't have the excuse of being late home after getting the bus - so car it will have to be.
It is like misson impossible on the bus...
Kevin Nolan now confirmed for this too.
(09 Sep 2013, 10:52 am)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Kevin Nolan now confirmed for this too.

Whey you convinced me to buy the tickets Wink
Up in the Level 7 Gods like. Trying to find a pair of seats online was nigh on impossible.
(09 Sep 2013, 9:11 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Whey you convinced me to buy the tickets Wink
Up in the Level 7 Gods like. Trying to find a pair of seats online was nigh on impossible.

haha I thought it might! It's a good laugh up there though when the place is absolutely rocking.
(09 Sep 2013, 9:16 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]haha I thought it might! It's a good laugh up there though when the place is absolutely rocking.

Aint been up there for a good while. Worked as a steward back in the day and we had to chase a load of Zurich or Basle (somewhere over that way) supporters after a European game one day.
Bet they all sh!t themselves to see us lot in our yellow jackets swarming towards them.

I'm looking forward to it and the bairn is looking forward to seeing some of the players he has heard/read so much about too.
I think it's sometimes hard to explain exactly how good the team was back then. I would have only been a bairn myself back then but had some cracking nights at St James in that era. Not that you can expect anything like this on Wed night, but this match sums the team up for me.

(09 Sep 2013, 9:44 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]I think it's sometimes hard to explain exactly how good the team was back then. I would have only been a bairn myself back then but had some cracking nights at St James in that era. Not that you can expect anything like this on Wed night, but this match sums the team up for me.

Great memories!
The Newcastle Team from 1993 to 1997 was amazing...I was a Sunderland fan growing up, but started to enjoy watching Newcastle on TV, where I live support is quite closely split, but I have heard plenty Sunderland fans admit, and I could be murdered for saying this, there dirty little secret eas they privately enjoyed watching Newcastle in that era naming games like Barcelona, Man Utd and the two 4-3 Liverpool defeats as examples of the attacking football we all love. When Keegan left,. Dalglish tried to keep ot up, Gullit was a fucking idiot and we started to see good football being played again under Sir Bobby Robson, god rest his soul.

While I am on about Sir Bobby, what a man he was, he came to Dalton Park in 2003 to turn the Xmas Lights on, the crowd was very Sunderland biased and Sir Bobby owned the lot, they were practically on there hands and knees praying to him, yes, he was Newcastle manager, but he was able to turn a rival crowd in his favour.

When I asked for his autograph I was shouting 'Mr Robson, Sir, Mr Robson, can I have your autograph please' he came over and said 'Certainly son, but call me Bobby' and what I said next absolutely shocked my mates and made Sir Bobby laugh I had just bought the History of NUFC on DVD and said 'can you sign this, then when you die, I can double my money on it' my mates nearly died right there and then and Bobby 'good for you son, you'll do alright' signed walked off laughing and my mates absolutely speechless that I had dared to even say that...

4 years on and there is still a massive void in football left when he passed away
Kyle Walker needs to step it up, he looks out of gas already, this game is no laughing matter...
(10 Sep 2013, 7:33 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Kyle Walker needs to step it up, he looks out of gas already, this game is no laughing matter...

Thought he'd have a bit of an extra 'boost' to his game tonight mind haha.
(10 Sep 2013, 7:38 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]Thought he'd have a bit of an extra 'boost' to his game tonight mind haha.

Bdum tish!