North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11 Jun 2016, 10:06 pm)GMitchelhill wrote [ -> ]I remember a time when GNE had more services than Stagecoach in Wallsend. Think it's about even at the moment, but I think GNE still has more services than Stagecoach, not by much.

Though I'm guessing you're half my age, I'm 31 now and lived in the Wallsend area all my life, so I've seen things come and go around here and in other areas too.

I'm only 11 so I hardly remember GNE having the Marshall buses in Wallsend, same wth things like Arriva, as far as I can remember is cityzens and Europeans operating Arriva's Blyth services
(12 Jun 2016, 7:35 am)NK53 TKT wrote [ -> ]Not as chuffed as me Big Grin 

If they do cut the 1 the spare omnicities could go on the Q3 Angel

I don't think that 7 (maybe 8) Omnis will be released if service 1 is cut. Again, i think its pretty much guaranteed that the Versas will operate service Q3 still.
(12 Jun 2016, 7:43 am)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]I don't think that 7 (maybe 8) Omnis will be released if service 1 is cut. Again, i think its pretty much guaranteed that the Versas will operate service Q3 still.

Don't say that, I don't mind if I get CityLink ones though Tongue Wink Angel Rolleyes
I can't see the 1 being cut, unless they decide to terminate it at North Shields. Could do with some newer buses though, the reliability of the Omnis in recent weeks has left a lot to be desired.

Sent from my Xperia Z5 Premium
(12 Jun 2016, 8:12 am)MVK 500R wrote [ -> ]I can't see the 1 being cut, unless they decide to terminate it at North Shields. Could do with some newer buses though, the reliability of the Omnis in recent weeks has left a lot to be desired.

Agree with you there,some of the omnis are buggared,back in February 5263 had to go back to the depot due to a door fault,caused a massive delay on nile street,and just a fortnight ago,i got on 5273 while it was operating on the 19(rare treat),but the drivers cab door got stuck,making it run 30 mins late,which meant two were running together,which also sometimes occurs on the 1, Will the Q3 take a similar route to what the old SNE 34/35,chuffed that GNE are restoring some old links
(12 Jun 2016, 9:26 am)V514DFT wrote [ -> ]Agree with you there,some of the omnis are buggared,back in February 5263 had to go back to the depot due to a door fault,caused a massive delay on nile street,and just a fortnight ago,i got on 5273 while it was operating on the 19(rare treat),but the drivers cab door got stuck,making it run 30 mins late,which meant two were running together,which also sometimes occurs on the 1
I think it was 5265 I was on a few weeks back ended up going out of service at the bottom of Shields Road with a dodgy ramp. Bus thought the ramp was out and wouldn't release the brakes, and every time I get on one, the dash is lit up with the likes of Engine Malfunction, Brake pad wear, Gearbox malfunction, oil temperature critical and air consumption critical to list a few.

(12 Jun 2016, 9:34 am)MVK 500R wrote [ -> ]I think it was 5265 I was on a few weeks back ended up going out of service at the bottom of Shields Road with a dodgy ramp. Bus thought the ramp was out and wouldn't release the brakes, and every time I get on one, the dash is lit up with the likes of Engine Malfunction, Brake pad wear, Gearbox malfunction, oil temperature critical and air consumption critical to list a few.

Funnily enough the day of the 5273 incident i over heard the drivers talking about 5265,they said its always in the depot with some kind of problem,but what i found funny is that an elderly lady shouted 'the 1 needs new buses' and one of the drivers nodded
They could do with going back to double deckers in my opinion. I remember the days when the route was dominated by Olympians and Atlanteans.

So do i,when it used to be the 301/302
(12 Jun 2016, 9:34 am)MVK 500R wrote [ -> ]I think it was 5265 I was on a few weeks back ended up going out of service at the bottom of Shields Road with a dodgy ramp. Bus thought the ramp was out and wouldn't release the brakes, and every time I get on one, the dash is lit up with the likes of Engine Malfunction, Brake pad wear, Gearbox malfunction, oil temperature critical and air consumption critical to list a few.

Theres been loads of B7s on the 1 lately too and yeah one broke down on the 1 yesterday and 6010 had to run light to Newcastle from Wallsend to Newcastle and start from there leaving gaps in the service. Think it was another door fault too! 

The Presidents aren't ideal for the 1 though not enough room downstairs.
And not just that,but presidents are coming to the end of their lives now,guess the 1 will have to wait,probably next year when they will be 10 and 11 year old buses

That is a common fault apparently. Haven't rode that many, but after a driver had issues on a 45 a few years back - control explained it was to do with the sensors not aligning/connecting when the ramp comes back in. Anyway they told the driver how to remedy it and we were away again.
With all the discussion about the extension of the Q3 to Wallsend and the introduction of a new service 11, little has been said about the 554 extension to Haymarket.
(12 Jun 2016, 4:56 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]With all the discussion about the extension of the Q3 to Wallsend and the introduction of a new service 11, little has been said about the 554 extension to Haymarket.

That makes no sense at all. There's plenty of services from Newcastle to Quorum already. The 554 has steadily improved passenger numbers between Regent Centre and Quorum so that should be the area they are looking to serve and keep reliable.
(12 Jun 2016, 5:03 pm)Shrek wrote [ -> ]That makes no sense at all. There's plenty of services from Newcastle to Quorum already. The 554 has steadily improved passenger numbers between Regent Centre and Quorum so that should be the area they are looking to serve and keep reliable.

However, it does offer those working at Quorum who use GNE services to travel to, say, Newcastle from Gateshead (and beyond) the opportunity to use a GNE-ticketing option instead of the more expensive Network One ticket/pass. There are people using this forum who work at (or near) Quorum who travel from Washington and Low Fell. Depending on the frequency and the hours of service, I imagine the extension will be most welcome to them.
(12 Jun 2016, 5:11 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]However, it does offer those working at Quorum who use GNE services to travel to, say, Newcastle from Gateshead (and beyond) the opportunity to use a GNE-ticketing option instead of the more expensive Network One ticket/pass. There are people using this forum who work at (or near) Quorum who travel from Washington and Low Fell. Depending on the frequency and the hours of service, I imagine the extension will be most welcome to them.

I guess so, though hopefully it won't be at the expense of the current users. It'll be interesting to see the timetable.
(12 Jun 2016, 5:11 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]However, it does offer those working at Quorum who use GNE services to travel to, say, Newcastle from Gateshead (and beyond) the opportunity to use a GNE-ticketing option instead of the more expensive Network One ticket/pass. There are people using this forum who work at (or near) Quorum who travel from Washington and Low Fell. Depending on the frequency and the hours of service, I imagine the extension will be most welcome to them.

Might as well use myself as an example, I work at Sitel on Quorum Business Park. I am quite pleased with the option of a service operated by GNE to Quorum Business Park owing to the fact that GNE operate the services I use beyond Newcastle City Centre to Washington, providing the new service doesnt go around the world like the ANE 52/54 do into Newcastle City Centre I would happily use the GNE Service. 

However depending on what shift I am on, the Metro can also be a lot more convenient for me which is why I purchase an All Zones Network One Pass at £26.80 per week, on top of having to use ANE X7/X8 & SNE X63 also between Newcastle/Quorum Business Park. Furthermore if you have a QCard it gives you discounted travel offers with ANE/SNE, so if something similar was offered by GNE then that would be great also.

Details on current travel offers with QCard:

Arriva Season Tickets
EXCLUSIVE discount on Arriva Season Tickets.
Pay for an annual ticket by monthly direct debit and save up to £18 per month!
  • 1 Triple Ticket Zone - £49.58     (usually £67.16)*

• 2 Triple ticket Zones - £75.58  (usually £87.75)*

• All of North East - £82.33   (usually £98.58)*

• Cramlington to Newcastle - £51.25 (usually £64.89)*
*Usual cost is based on 13 x 28 day passes / 12 months

Discounts on Arriva Bus Services between Quorum & Four Lane Ends

60p ticket on buses between Quorum and Four Lane Ends (usually £1.10).

Valid on the following Arriva servcies:

• 555 Quorum Shuttle

• 554 Metro Shuttle
Simply show your Q Card onboard to redeem this offer.

Stagecoach Megarider Xtra

4 weeks free travel across the year by paying for your Megarider Xtra online.
[b]Saves time, money and hassle compared to buying a ticket on the bus!

Sign up for a monthly Megarider and you will only pay £48 every calendar month (rather than paying £48 to the bus driver every 28 days). Payment taken from your registered debit or credit card.

You will be posted a Stagecoach Smart Card and your Megaraider will automatically be added each month.

You can cancel the monthly payment at anytime
(no annual contract).
[/b]
I'm with Malarkey.

I'm based at Quorum having moved from Jesmond to our new head office and have tried the cheaper X12/X7/8/54/52 option but lacking frequency on the X12 front.

However I'm guessing it'll be a two zone buzz fare which isn't much cheaper than a Network One. Unless of course GNE offer a corporate rate
Who runs QCard? (Obviously someone based at Quorum)

Might it be worth getting in touch with the organisers to see if a deal with GNE can be struck?
(12 Jun 2016, 6:55 pm)HMurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Who runs QCard? (Obviously someone based at Quorum)

Might it be worth getting in touch with the organisers to see if a deal with GNE can be struck?

It's run by the business park themselves. They've a little office where they organise sports events, travel plans, marketing etc.

They've asked for some models for a photo shoot on site with the the Quorum shuttle fleet too