North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(15 Jun 2016, 1:02 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]New timetables for the upcoming changes on the 24th July and the 31st July are now going on the GNE site...

Some are still in the VOSA style for the timetables... mainly the likes of the new 11 etc. 

Edit: 

The new 11 route is long - running half hourly.
42 - half hourly between North Shields and Benton ASDA, then hourly between Asda and Cramlington Manor Walks.

57 is staying every 20 minutes
58 is dropping to every 12 minutes

Some of the new PVR's...(not confirmed but i was just bored)

PVR’s from 24th/31st July:

Q3 – 9 PVR
10/10A/10B/10X – 14 PVR?
11 – 8 PVR
12/12A – 6 PVR (not sure what the frequency will be as half of the new timetable isn’t on)
40/41 - ???
42 – 5 PVR
57 – 8 PVR
58 – 8 PVR

(15 Jun 2016, 1:33 pm)MVK 500R wrote [ -> ]2 hours from Whitley Bay to the Metrocentre? Yikes!

Sent from my Xperia Z5 Premium

Ye, long route for those want to do it haha
Wonder why the 41 isn't going to Wallsend Metro?

And surprising to see the 1 not cut at all! Some very good changes for North Tyneside.
(15 Jun 2016, 3:09 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Wonder why the 41 isn't going to Wallsend Metro?

And surprising to see the 1 not cut at all! Some very good changes for North Tyneside.

The 40 isn't either, it could be because of the new PVR?, maybe they wanted all 16 reg Solo SR's on the 40/41/42?, although, once again, I'm not sure what the passenger numbers are between North Shields and Benton ASDA and between Asda and Cramlington Manor Walks, something bigger than a Solo Sr could be needed for the 42. 

So:

11 - Blue Scania's 
40/41/42 - Indigo
(15 Jun 2016, 3:13 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]The 40 isn't either, it could be because of the new PVR?, maybe they wanted all 16 reg Solo SR's on the 40/41/42?, although, once again, I'm not sure what the passenger numbers are between North Shields and Benton ASDA and between Asda and Cramlington Manor Walks, something bigger than a Solo Sr could be needed for the 42. 

So:

11 - Blue Scania's 
40/41/42 - Indigo

I've just read it properly and I think it's because it's going to go in a circular up Station Road, then around the back to start at the other side of the forum. No one really gets on the 40/41 at the Metro anyway.

PVR of the 40/41 seems to be 4 and the 42 seems to 5. So maybe they will have enough after all but god knows how!
(15 Jun 2016, 3:19 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I've just read it properly and I think it's because it's going to go in a circular up Station Road, then around the back to start at the other side of the forum. No one really gets on the 40/41 at the Metro anyway.

PVR of the 40/41 seems to be 4 and the 42 seems to 5. So maybe they will have enough after all but god knows how!

Sorry Tom, re-reading my post, i sounded quite erupt in my reply!.

If there's enough then that's good.

The Quaylink should gain the 2 extra Versa's from the 58, as it drops by 4.
(15 Jun 2016, 3:24 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Sorry Tom, re-reading my post, i sounded quite erupt in my reply!.

If there's enough then that's good.

The Quaylink should gain the 2 extra Versa's from the 58, as it drops by 4.

You didn't to me haha Smile 

They'll probably have the full details later or tomorrow.
(15 Jun 2016, 3:09 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Wonder why the 41 isn't going to Wallsend Metro?

Whilst there have been some minor frequency changes to better match the number of people travelling on buses and to improve reliability, it does by and large appear to be a vast improvement to the services being changed (especially on North Tyneside).

New links will be created and all services will benefit from newer vehicles being allocated (which, on paper, will provide a more reliable service with fewer breakdowns). Passengers will also benefit from features such as Wi-Fi and Next Stop Announcements which they did not previously. 

Friendly reminder of this post, pointing out a pessimistic assumption of cuts based on a few VOSA registrations. I hope said person can man up and admit that they were wrong!
(15 Jun 2016, 3:32 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Whilst there have been some minor frequency changes to better match the number of people travelling on buses and to improve reliability, it does by and large appear to be a vast improvement to the services being changed (especially on North Tyneside).

New links will be created and all services will benefit from newer vehicles being allocated (which, on paper, will provide a more reliable service with fewer breakdowns). Passengers will also benefit from features such as Wi-Fi and Next Stop Announcements which they did not previously. 

Friendly reminder of this post, pointing out a pessimistic assumption of cuts based on a few VOSA registrations. I hope said person can man up and admit that they were wrong!

As I'm not from the area, i can't comment on the changes as if i use the services everyday but as an enthusiast point of view, they look decent although nearly 2 hours from Whitley Bay to the Metrocentre bit to long for me....

Shame that they once again missed the opportunity to merge the 64 with another route..... lol
(15 Jun 2016, 3:40 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]As I'm not from the area, i can't comment on the changes as if i use the services everyday but as an enthusiast point of view, they look decent although nearly 2 hours from Whitley Bay to the Metrocentre bit to long for me....

Shame that they once again missed the opportunity to merge the 64 with another route..... lol

Bit like the 20 from South Shields all the way to Durham, though.

Those that use the service from terminus to terminus will definitely be in the minority, and it's mainly all about providing local links in between those locations.

In this instance, I'd imagine that there'll be a number of people in Byker and Walkergate who will use the direct bus all the way through to the Metrocentre, to avoid the hassle of having to change buses at Newcastle or Gateshead, even if service 11 is slower than service 1 with a connection to the X66.
(15 Jun 2016, 3:43 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Bit like the 20 from South Shields all the way to Durham, though.

Those that use the service from terminus to terminus will definitely be in the minority, and it's mainly all about providing local links in between those locations, but I'd imagine that there'll be a number of people in Byker and Walkergate who will use the direct bus all the way through to the Metrocentre, to avoid the hassle of having to change buses at Newcastle or Gateshead, even if service 11 is slower than service 1 with a connection to the X66.

Ye, i think GNE are taking Stagecoach's idea's of cross-city services... which to me is good.

Tbh that's me haha
(15 Jun 2016, 3:47 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Ye, i think GNE are taking Stagecoach's idea's of cross-city services... which to me is good.

As with all service changes, only time will tell. Providing reliability improves (both in terms of fewer breakdowns and buses turning up on time), I think these changes will be really positive.

I'm off for two weeks at the same time as the service changes, so I'm looking forward to sampling the new and improved network!
(15 Jun 2016, 3:43 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Bit like the 20 from South Shields all the way to Durham, though.

Those that use the service from terminus to terminus will definitely be in the minority, and it's mainly all about providing local links in between those locations.

In this instance, I'd imagine that there'll be a number of people in Byker and Walkergate who will use the direct bus all the way through to the Metrocentre, to avoid the hassle of having to change buses at Newcastle or Gateshead, even if service 11 is slower than service 1 with a connection to the X66.

To be fair from Walkergate to Metrocentre it is nearly an hour, but getting the 1/11 to Gateshead, then getting the X66 would take nearly 20 minutes shorter. But you're probably right, people will use it but it'll mainly be OAPs.

The best thing about the changes though is 10 buses a hour to Newcastle from Wallsend, more than double there is now, and a new link to Quayside which I am sure will be very popular. Just hope they allow North Tyne day saver on though.
(15 Jun 2016, 3:50 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]As with all service changes, only time will tell. Providing reliability improves (both in terms of fewer breakdowns and buses turning up on time), I think these changes will be really positive.

I'm off for two weeks at the same time as the service changes, so I'm looking forward to sampling the new and improved network!

Lucky you!

Where will the spare bus come from for the TEN?
(15 Jun 2016, 3:54 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]Lucky you!

Where will the spare bus come from for the TEN?

Cobalt clippers im guessing
(15 Jun 2016, 4:34 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote [ -> ]Cobalt clippers im guessing

I'd hope not. Percy Main struggle to cover a PVR of 16 with one Volvo B9TL as it is - hence the frequent allocation of Volvo B7s to the Cobalt Clipper...

I reckon it's more likely that some Wright Eclipse Gemini bodied Volvo B7s will form part of the TEN's PVR.
(15 Jun 2016, 4:34 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I'd hope not. Percy Main struggle to cover a PVR of 16 with one Volvo B9TL as it is - hence the frequent allocation of Volvo B7s to the Cobalt Clipper...

I reckon it's more likely that some Wright Eclipse Gemini bodied Volvo B7s will form part of the TEN's PVR.

I know that the revised Hexham TENs look like they're running the same way in terms of PVR that the Castles Express runs with a long layover.

In terms of the PVRs for the TEN, they stand as follows Monday to Saturday:
10 = 7
10A (Blackhall) = 3
10A (Rockwood = 2
10B = 4

Total PVR = 16

Sunday PVR remains unchanged.

If the Monday to Saturday PVR was to stand at 15, then I'd say another B7TL would just about do but going up to 16, then I strongly think that Deptford will lose one of their corporate spares. I know that isn't ideal but given that Percy Main has had to run with 1x corporate spare (if not on the Bedlington / Ashington work) covering for 16x vehicles since September 2014, then I can't see why Deptford can't, even more so given the fact that they don't have to face competition like Percy Main do. I know the TENs don't face much competition but if the opportunity is there to keep the service at near specification as possible without making another service 'completely'  (Deptford would still have one spare) lose out, then it would be more than justified.

Even more so if GNE were willing to make a few allocation changes, they could even do this with Riverside gaining another B9TL on the same basis of 6084 that should any of 6043-6048 be off the road, then it has to be swapped with a B7TL at the earliest opportunity.

- 6100 to Percy Main displacing 6101(T)
- 6101(T) to Riverside as a corporate spare seeing use on 10A / 10B - no fluid allocations allowed
- 7x B9TLs (excl 6101 or 6084) alongside 1x spare B7TL based at Hexham
- 8x B9TLs (inc 6101 & 6084) alongside 1x B7TL (part of TEN allocation) based at Riverside alongside 3963 / 3964 as spares.
(15 Jun 2016, 5:37 pm)L469 YVK wrote [ -> ]If the Monday to Saturday PVR was to stand at 15, then I'd say another B7TL would just about do but going up to 16, then I strongly think that Deptford will lose one of their corporate spares. I know that isn't ideal but given that Percy Main has had to run with 1x corporate spare (if not on the Bedlington / Ashington work) covering for 16x vehicles since September 2014, then I can't see why Deptford can't, even more so given the fact that they don't have to face competition like Percy Main do. I know the TENs don't face much competition but if the opportunity is there to keep the service at near specification as possible without making another service 'completely'  (Deptford would still have one spare) lose out, then it would be more than justified.
They do with Stagecoach between Sunderland City Centre and Southwick, Hylton Castle and the bottom end of Town End Farm.
Stagecoach services 3,4,12/13 and 16 all run every 10 minutes between those area's, which also offer WIFI, i would say that's decent competition for them.

3 - City Centre to Hylton Castle
4 - City Centre to Southwick
12/13 - City Centre to Town End Farm
16 - City Centre to Southwick
10A looks like it has a long layover at Blackhall Mill too?
(15 Jun 2016, 5:46 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]They do with Stagecoach between Sunderland City Centre and Southwick, Hylton Castle and the bottom end of Town End Farm.
Stagecoach services 3,4,12/13 and 16 all run every 10 minutes between those area's, which also offer WIFI, i would say that's decent competition for them.

3 - City Centre to Hylton Castle
4 - City Centre to Southwick
12/13 - City Centre to Town End Farm
16 - City Centre to Southwick

Got to remember though that Deptford would still have 1x spare vehicle.
(15 Jun 2016, 2:59 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]PVR’s from 24th/31st July:
Q3 – 9 PVR
10/10A/10B/10X – 14 PVR?
11 – 8 PVR
12/12A – 6 PVR (not sure what the frequency will be as half of the new timetable isn’t on)
40/41 - ???
42 – 5 PVR
57 – 8 PVR
58 – 8 PVR

While I have not calculated the PVR, I have attempted the daytime requirement for each of the services with significant changes:

Q3 - 9
10/10A/10B/10X - 15
11 - 8
40/41 - 5
42 - 6
57 - 8
58 - 8

(The 12/12A timetable is on the website in full - of course they only need to do the timetable for 'one direction' as they are displayed as loop services with one going in either direction - both 'directions' are on the same timetable pane - the number of daytime vehicles needed remains at 5 from what I can see)