North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(12 Apr 2015, 9:19 am)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Coincidentally Rowlands Gill is where I currently reside.

Outside of the 80s, I think I may have one guide from 1993 if that's any good?
Hello again, that would be absolutely fine, I'd love to see any from around the 90s until around 2003. Also, do you have any for the MetroCentre services, as I can vividly remember the M1, M2, M3 etc. and that they used Optare Metroriders, my favourite midibus. Smile
(11 Apr 2015, 1:45 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I have a gap in my collection between January 1987 and half-way through 1989. 

I'm guessing the 'Big Orange' brand would have commenced and ceased operations during the interim period. As the timetable shows, services 60 and 61 operate between Gateshead and Metrocentre only. GAN have no competing services when that timetable was printed. I'm also guessing that competing services were introduced by GAN when Easyway decided to extend towards Felling Square. 

By 1989, there are no traces of either Easyway or Big Orange services. The 92 still runs but the service has passed into the hands of Tyne and Wear Omnibus which means North Eastern had probably bit the bullet by that point. The M31 and M32 had also been introduced by then.

I've got a couple of 'The Big Orange' branded leaflets - they were indeed around in the period you mentioned, certainly between April 1988 & March 1989.  It seems Consett local services 746/747/748 as well as Consett-Newcastle 745 fell under the brand.
(12 Apr 2015, 6:22 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote [ -> ]I've got a couple of 'The Big Orange' branded leaflets - they were indeed around in the period you mentioned, certainly between April 1988 & March 1989.  It seems Consett local services 746/747/748 as well as Consett-Newcastle 745 fell under the brand.

Care to share them like?  Big Grin
Changes to services 82 and 82A from Sunday 10 May 2015

http://www.simplygo.com/news/changes-to-...0-may-2015
(14 Apr 2015, 10:34 am)Michael wrote [ -> ]Changes to services 82 and 82A from Sunday 10 May 2015

http://www.simplygo.com/news/changes-to-...0-may-2015

Was it Lee who said he had heard about changes?

Not surprised about the Harras Bank changes. Should never have had the left hand turn in the first place.
However, it means people at the top end of Northside don't have a bus into the town centre now.

Ah Vera Horden... Had a shop on Southend Road too fact fans.

#factsonNEB
#hashtagsonNEB
(14 Apr 2015, 11:05 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Was it Lee who said he had heard about changes?

Not surprised about the Harras Bank changes. Should never have had the left hand turn in the first place.
However, it means people at the top end of Northside don't have a bus into the town centre now.

Ah Vera Horden... Had a shop on Southend Road too fact fans.

#factsonNEB
#hashtagsonNEB

I'm not sure if it was Lee, i don't know the area well so not sure where Northside is! haha
(14 Apr 2015, 11:08 am)Michael wrote [ -> ]I'm not sure if it was Lee, i don't know the area well so not sure where Northside is! haha

Yep it was me... But I got shot down for saying it! 
(14 Apr 2015, 11:31 am)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]Yep it was me... But I got shot down for saying it! 

You didn't get "shot down" for saying it at all.

Many users pointed out that a registration change had to go to VOSA before service changes could be made, and that had to be done within a certain amount of days notice. You said a driver had told you that the services were changing within a matter of weeks, which they weren't. A VOSA change was submitted soon after - with the change commencing within the amount of days required by VOSA.
(14 Apr 2015, 11:40 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]You didn't get "shot down" for saying it at all.

Many users pointed out that a registration change had to go to VOSA before service changes could be made, and that had to be done within a certain amount of days notice. You said a driver had told you that the services were changing within a matter of weeks, which they weren't. A VOSA change was submitted soon after - with the change commencing within the amount of days required by VOSA.

Dan, is there any more info for the upcoming X7 changes between Sunderland and Peterlee?
(14 Apr 2015, 11:50 am)Michael wrote [ -> ]Dan, is there any more info for the upcoming X7 changes between Sunderland and Peterlee?

Not on the GNE website there isn't... Tongue 
(14 Apr 2015, 11:51 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]Not on the GNE website there isn't... Tongue 

Tongue, I just hope its not gonna go down the X3 route..  Angel
(14 Apr 2015, 11:40 am)Dan wrote [ -> ]You didn't get "shot down" for saying it at all.

You sound quite stern Wink
(14 Apr 2015, 11:31 am)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]Yep it was me... But I got shot down for saying it! 

Thought it was you.
From a driver?

Can't find the thread to link/check back.
Yep Michael from Washington
(11 Apr 2015, 1:45 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I have a gap in my collection between January 1987 and half-way through 1989. 

I'm guessing the 'Big Orange' brand would have commenced and ceased operations during the interim period. As the timetable shows, services 60 and 61 operate between Gateshead and Metrocentre only. GAN have no competing services when that timetable was printed. I'm also guessing that competing services were introduced by GAN when Easyway decided to extend towards Felling Square. 

By 1989, there are no traces of either Easyway or Big Orange services. The 92 still runs but the service has passed into the hands of Tyne and Wear Omnibus which means North Eastern had probably bit the bullet by that point. The M31 and M32 had also been introduced by then.

I've looked out some old Omnibus Society news sheets related to this period and can add some dates to this thread at the risk of taking it on for too long - may be best to transfer it to the Bygone Era? I don't have any genuine timetables to support these dates but I believe they are accurate. Anyway, here goes:
Easyway This was the fleetname used by Cummings, Hebburn (based on the Waggonway Industrial Estate, wherever that is). they started the 60 and 61 between Gateshead and the Metro Centre from December 15th 1986 and they were de-registered July 9th 1987, but may have ceased earlier because the buses they used (Leyland Nationals GHU646N and HHU632N) are recorded by the PSV Circle as being "re-possessed" in April 1987. Apart from them, Cummings only operated a Volvo coach (EBB588W), which went to A Line and a few minibuses.

North Eastern
started operating on deregulation day, October 26th 1986 and initially had Tyne & Wear PTE contracts for 3 routes, the 92 as described in earlier messages, the 91 (Gateshead - Lobley Hill via Dunston) - these routes inter-worked at Gateshead Metro; and 606 (Gateshead - Clara Vale). They had an interesting fleet - besides a couple of Leyland Nationals, they had several Leyland Leopards, a few Bedford coaches, one ex Scottish Bus group Seddon Pennine and a Bristol RELL. They were based at the British Road services depot on the Team Valley trading estate.

Big Orange buses As others have said, these were operated by Northern as "competition spoilers". The first operation was from Sunderland Road depot, on services 60 and 61 between Gateshead and the Metro Centre. This is recorded as starting on March 23rd 1987, in competition with Easyway. These routes were withdrawn from September 5th 1987 and the Big Orange buses then operated on services 64 and 65 (Gateshead - Dunston circulars) for a while.
Someone mentioned use at Consett and between Consett and Newcastle in 1988. This was in competition with Law Travel.
Big Oranges were also used at Stanley, from May 1987 on routes 700 and 701 (Stanley - Dipton - Flint Hill) in competition with Star Travel.
I haven't found dates when either of these operations finished formally but it was recorded that all the Big Orange buses had been repainted into other liveries by the end of 1988. Certainly some of them were in Supershuttle livery for the X66 when this started on May 7th 1988.
Just found a reference to Big Oranges being used at Chester-le-Street in 1989 on 725 between Chester-le-Street and Langley park to combat competition from Bob Smith Travel, so clearly they went on into 1989!
I have dug out some more dates for things like the Gateshead/Felling Go Ahead Northern minibus routes but will put these into a separate post.
[attachment=6563]

(11 Apr 2015, 1:24 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I do for the 92 - from January 1987. It also includes Easyway services 60 and 61.

Relevant dates:
services 91 and 92: North Eastern services de-registered March 18th 1989. Daytime services to Go Ahead Northern, evening and Sunday service on 92 to Tyne & Wear Omnibus Company.
91 (Gateshead - Lobley Hill) to minibus route M91 from September 23rd 1989 and replaced by minibus routes M34-6 from May 5th 1990.
92 (Gateshead - Heworth)

Before this, from March 26th 1988, Northern started minibus route M31, initially as Felling Metro station - Queen Elizabeth Hospital via Felling Square, Chilside Road, Rectory Road and Windy Nook.
This only lasted till May 7th 1988 when the following Northern minibus routes were started:
M29: Gateshead Metro - Kibblesworth via Bensham and Saltwell Road South
M30: Gateshead Metro - Felling Metro;as M29 to Allerdene, then via Harlow Green, Wrekenton, Beacon Lough, Furrowfield, Windy Nook and as the old M31 to Felling Metro.
M31: Gateshead Metro - Felling Metro; as M29 to Saltwell Road, then Belle Vue Bank, Durham Road, Kells Lane, Church Road, Wynbury Road, Whinlatter Gardens, Southend Road, Queen Elizabeth Hospital then as the old M31 to Felling Metro.
M32: Gateshead Metro - Felling Metro via Shipcote, Deckham, Felling Square, Fewster Square, Whitehills estate, Windy Nook then as M30/1 to Felling Metro.
From August 4th 1988, M33 (Gateshead Metro - Bensham, Racecourse Estate) was added.

From April 22nd 1989, M30 was withdrawn and M31 diverted via the full length of Kells Lane and Old Durham Road, between Low Fell and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, so missing out the Church Road/Wynbury Road bit. It seems as though this continued to have an evening and Sunday service though, because there was still a PTE contract for this. It passed from TWOC to Busways (Blue Bus) from january 28th 1990 till the contract ended on July 28th 1991.

As I said, I can't support any of this with actual timetable leaflets but I'd welcome any additions/corrections to the news sheet record.

Just to add, I also found and scanned a shot of a Go Gateshead Renault minibus taken at Heworth Metro. The date on the slide is April 1993.
(14 Apr 2015, 2:40 pm)chrisnorthern wrote [ -> ]North Eastern started operating on deregulation day, October 26th 1986 and initially had Tyne & Wear PTE contracts for 3 routes, the 92 as described in earlier messages, the 91 (Gateshead - Lobley Hill via Dunston) - these routes inter-worked at Gateshead Metro; and 606 (Gateshead - Clara Vale). They had an interesting fleet - besides a couple of Leyland Nationals, they had several Leyland Leopards, a few Bedford coaches, one ex Scottish Bus group Seddon Pennine and a Bristol RELL. They were based at the British Road services depot on the Team Valley trading estate.

North Eastern also ran a service 634 between Dunston and Blaydon (Hole-in-the-Wall Estate) as well as a 635 between Newcastle and Hole-in-the-Wall. Neither service lasted long and the route between Blaydon and Hole-in-the-Wall was revised to omit Bleach Green. I'm sure I've posted the timetable for the 634 somewhere previously but I can always re-scan and post it. 

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. 
(14 Apr 2015, 2:40 pm)chrisnorthern wrote [ -> ]I've looked out some old Omnibus Society news sheets related to this period and can add some dates to this thread at the risk of taking it on for too long - may be best to transfer it to the Bygone Era? I don't have any genuine timetables to support these dates but I believe they are accurate. Anyway, here goes:
Easyway This was the fleetname used by Cummings, Hebburn (based on the Waggonway Industrial Estate, wherever that is). they started the 60 and 61 between Gateshead and the Metro Centre from December 15th 1986 and they were de-registered July 9th 1987, but may have ceased earlier because the buses they used (Leyland Nationals GHU646N and HHU632N) are recorded by the PSV Circle as being "re-possessed" in April 1987. Apart from them, Cummings only operated a Volvo coach (EBB588W), which went to A Line and a few minibuses.

North Eastern
started operating on deregulation day, October 26th 1986 and initially had Tyne & Wear PTE contracts for 3 routes, the 92 as described in earlier messages, the 91 (Gateshead - Lobley Hill via Dunston) - these routes inter-worked at Gateshead Metro; and 606 (Gateshead - Clara Vale). They had an interesting fleet - besides a couple of Leyland Nationals, they had several Leyland Leopards, a few Bedford coaches, one ex Scottish Bus group Seddon Pennine and a Bristol RELL. They were based at the British Road services depot on the Team Valley trading estate.

Big Orange buses As others have said, these were operated by Northern as "competition spoilers". The first operation was from Sunderland Road depot, on services 60 and 61 between Gateshead and the Metro Centre. This is recorded as starting on March 23rd 1987, in competition with Easyway. These routes were withdrawn from September 5th 1987 and the Big Orange buses then operated on services 64 and 65 (Gateshead - Dunston circulars) for a while.
Someone mentioned use at Consett and between Consett and Newcastle in 1988. This was in competition with Law Travel.
Big Oranges were also used at Stanley, from May 1987 on routes 700 and 701 (Stanley - Dipton - Flint Hill) in competition with Star Travel.
I haven't found dates when either of these operations finished formally but it was recorded that all the Big Orange buses had been repainted into other liveries by the end of 1988. Certainly some of them were in Supershuttle livery for the X66 when this started on May 7th 1988.
Just found a reference to Big Oranges being used at Chester-le-Street in 1989 on 725 between Chester-le-Street and Langley park to combat competition from Bob Smith Travel, so clearly they went on into 1989!
I have dug out some more dates for things like the Gateshead/Felling Go Ahead Northern minibus routes but will put these into a separate post.

(14 Apr 2015, 3:16 pm)chrisnorthern wrote [ -> ]Relevant dates:
services 91 and 92: North Eastern services de-registered March 18th 1989. Daytime services to Go Ahead Northern, evening and Sunday service on 92 to Tyne & Wear Omnibus Company.
91 (Gateshead - Lobley Hill) to minibus route M91 from September 23rd 1989 and replaced by minibus routes M34-6 from May 5th 1990.
92 (Gateshead - Heworth)

Before this, from March 26th 1988, Northern started minibus route M31, initially as Felling Metro station - Queen Elizabeth Hospital via Felling Square, Chilside Road, Rectory Road and Windy Nook.
This only lasted till May 7th 1988 when the following Northern minibus routes were started:
M29: Gateshead Metro - Kibblesworth via Bensham and Saltwell Road South
M30: Gateshead Metro - Felling Metro;as M29 to Allerdene, then via Harlow Green, Wrekenton, Beacon Lough, Furrowfield, Windy Nook and as the old M31 to Felling Metro.
M31: Gateshead Metro - Felling Metro; as M29 to Saltwell Road, then Belle Vue Bank, Durham Road, Kells Lane, Church Road, Wynbury Road, Whinlatter Gardens, Southend Road, Queen Elizabeth Hospital then as the old M31 to Felling Metro.
M32: Gateshead Metro - Felling Metro via Shipcote, Deckham, Felling Square, Fewster Square, Whitehills estate, Windy Nook then as M30/1 to Felling Metro.
From August 4th 1988, M33 (Gateshead Metro - Bensham, Racecourse Estate) was added.

From April 22nd 1989, M30 was withdrawn and M31 diverted via the full length of Kells Lane and Old Durham Road, between Low Fell and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, so missing out the Church Road/Wynbury Road bit. It seems as though this continued to have an evening and Sunday service though, because there was still a PTE contract for this. It passed from TWOC to Busways (Blue Bus) from january 28th 1990 till the contract ended on July 28th 1991.

As I said, I can't support any of this with actual timetable leaflets but I'd welcome any additions/corrections to the news sheet record.

Just to add, I also found and scanned a shot of a Go Gateshead Renault minibus taken at Heworth Metro. The date on the slide is April 1993.

Just to add to what Murdo has said, appreciate you sharing the info.

Knew my memory wasn't playing too many tricks and glad to see some of my memories confirmed.

I have asked about the North Eastern service and (even though I can't remember) they were very untidy inside, with tickets and litter.

Is there anything in your leaflets about Go ahead operating around Whinbury Road etc or is that a false memory?
There were deckers in years gone by though - 50's/60's.
(14 Apr 2015, 11:53 am)leestransportphotos wrote [ -> ]You sound quite stern Wink

He has to be at times, having to keep up Asylum Inmates in check

(14 Apr 2015, 5:34 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Just to add to what Murdo has said, appreciate you sharing the info.

Knew my memory wasn't playing too many tricks and glad to see some of my memories confirmed.

I have asked about the North Eastern service and (even though I can't remember) they were very untidy inside, with tickets and litter.

Is there anything in your leaflets about Go ahead operating around Whinbury Road etc or is that a false memory?
There were deckers in years gone by though - 50's/60's.

Cannot be as untidy as Michael Franks, the coaches used were ancient, with scruffy interior, scruffy(but pleasant) drivers and it smelt like a 50 seater ashtray as you could smoke on them
(14 Apr 2015, 6:46 pm)MrFozz wrote [ -> ]Cannot be as untidy as Michael Franks, the coaches used were ancient, with scruffy interior, scruffy(but pleasant) drivers and it smelt like a 50 seater ashtray as you could smoke on them

I remember them. Never used them until 98ish (possibly just before they packed up the Sunderland - Easington Lane route).

Noisy, smelly, dirty - but cracking rides.

If over Ryhope way, I would go via Michael Franks and Easington Lane. Chose them over whatever type Dart was running from Park Lane.
There was always the chance of decent stock to/from the lane end of the route and a Michael Franks contraption in between.