North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The 2 normal cricket services are out again in June for the New Zealand One Day International Cricket Match

B0002400/561 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Durham Railway Station
Finish Point: Chester-Le-Street, Emirates International Cricket Ground
Via:
Service Number: 500
Service Type: Limited Stop
Effective Date: 20-JUN-2015
Other Details: To run on Saturday 20th June 2015 only for the England v New Zealand One Day International Cricket Match

PB0002400/562 - GO NORTHERN LTD T/A GO NORTH EAST, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Lambton Park
Finish Point: Chester-Le-Street, Emirates International Cricket Ground
Via:
Service Number: 501
Service Type: Limited Stop
Effective Date: 20-JUN-2015
Other Details: To run on Saturday 20th June 2015 only for the England v New Zealand One Day International Cricket Match
(09 Apr 2015, 10:46 pm)Racer_Experience wrote [ -> ]wrong the passenger numbers are decent

If the passenger numbers were decent, then it won't be getting withdrawn. 
(10 Apr 2015, 6:39 am)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]I have had a look in the Bygone Era, but can't find anything apart from the via Racecourse Estate - Gateshead services.
I am pretty sure there was a route that went via Southend Road AND Whinlatter Road, Whinbuy Road, Church Road and on to the Metrocentre.
Any record of it in your collection?
Not sure if it was a Big Orange service, or if my memory is playing tricks on me.

It may have been the 61/62 circular service you remember, however it didn't serve Southend Road, Whinlatter Road, Whinbury Road or Church Road.

[attachment=6536]

The 'Big Orange' services may have been operated by a company called Easyway. Initially, they had services 60 and 61 which operated between Gateshead and Metrocentre only but I do recall the route being extended towards Felling Square at some point so it is possible, I guess, that one of these services went via the High Fell area. 

I also vaguley recall the 60 being operated by North Eastern with an extension to the Team Valley Retail World via Durham Road and Low Fell. GNE may have also ran another service in competition with this but, unfortunately, I don't have the timetables to corroborate. 
(10 Apr 2015, 2:16 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]It may have been the 61/62 circular service you remember, however it didn't serve Southend Road, Whinlatter Road, Whinbury Road or Church Road.

The 'Big Orange' services may have been operated by a company called Easyway. Initially, they had services 60 and 61 which operated between Gateshead and Metrocentre only but I do recall the route being extended towards Felling Square at some point so it is possible, I guess, that one of these services went via the High Fell area. 

I also vaguley recall the 60 being operated by North Eastern with an extension to the Team Valley Retail World via Durham Road and Low Fell. GNE may have also ran another service in competition with this but, unfortunately, I don't have the timetables to corroborate. 

It was definitely a service via those roads I mentioned and it was when Go-ahead were painting a lot of the nationals Orange. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=leyland+national+gateshead&tbm=isch&ei=OQkoVdOXI4TXasu1gIAN&start=40&sa=N#mhpiv=12
I can't remember Easyway at all, but remember these services (in their different guises) all going the way of the QE and Felling.

Eventually, they ended up at the Minilink services, going down Belle Vue Bank, Racecourse Est and Gateshead Interchange.
(10 Apr 2015, 5:35 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]It was definitely a service via those roads I mentioned and it was when Go-ahead were painting a lot of the nationals Orange. http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=leyland+national+gateshead&tbm=isch&ei=OQkoVdOXI4TXasu1gIAN&start=40&sa=N#mhpiv=12
I can't remember Easyway at all, but remember these services (in their different guises) all going the way of the QE and Felling.

Eventually, they ended up at the Minilink services, going down Belle Vue Bank, Racecourse Est and Gateshead Interchange.

Here's an Easyway Bus pictured back when Metrocentre Bus Station was temporarily located next to Marks and Spencer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/busfreakbr...0181158738

In shot, you can just see a Big Orange bus parked behind. When I think about it now, I'm sure Big Orange were Go-Ahead Northern's budget brand for Gateshead designed to compete with the likes of North Eastern and Easyway - much like the TyneRider brand in the 1990s.

The destination on the Easyway Bus states 'Felling Square'. 
(11 Apr 2015, 7:40 am)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]Big Orange was for sure a Go Ahead Northern product.

Any more memories or details?

I can only recall Big Orange being allocated to service 61 which competed with Easyway's service 60 and both services were withdrawn by 1989 so the venture was short-lived. 
picture of orange 4662 at metrocentre:
4662 at Gateshead Interchange
(11 Apr 2015, 7:38 am)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Here's an Easyway Bus pictured back when Metrocentre Bus Station was temporarily located next to Marks and Spencer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/busfreakbr...0181158738

In shot, you can just see a Big Orange bus parked behind. When I think about it now, I'm sure Big Orange were Go-Ahead Northern's budget brand for Gateshead designed to compete with the likes of North Eastern and Easyway - much like the TyneRider brand in the 1990s.

The destination on the Easyway Bus states 'Felling Square'. 

The Metrocentre opened in 86 and I remember the Nationals seemingly being without vinyls for a long time. It seemed as soon as the vinyls were attached, the brand vanished.
So if the bus station is in its temporary location, it must have been 86/87 that the Nationals were painted.

Racking my brains and cannot remember those two independents you mention at all.

However, something is telling me the vehicles allocated to the big orange, ended up in the first Supershuttle livery.
The introduction of that onto stand A, saw a massive re-jig of stands at Gateshead.
(09 Apr 2015, 10:46 pm)Racer_Experience wrote [ -> ]wrong the passenger numbers are decent

In all fairness, the residents of Hebburn requested an express service, they've already got the 27 and the Metro. Even one of your photos backs up GNE's decision to withdraw the service.

I'm surprised that the 27X lasted this long, it's just the equivalent of Arriva's 34. It doesn't even carry enough people to allocate a Smart Fortwo.

[Image: 16904368369_01156676e8.jpg]626 Go North East Optare Solo SR on Nexus Bus on Service 27X by Diamond One, on Flickr
(11 Apr 2015, 12:13 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]The Metrocentre opened in 86 and I remember the Nationals seemingly being without vinyls for a long time. It seemed as soon as the vinyls were attached, the brand vanished.
So if the bus station is in its temporary location, it must have been 86/87 that the Nationals were painted.

Racking my brains and cannot remember those two independents you mention at all.

However, something is telling me the vehicles allocated to the big orange, ended up in the first Supershuttle livery.
The introduction of that onto stand A, saw a massive re-jig of stands at Gateshead.

The first bus station was located next to Carrefour (old Asda) on the incline leading up to the A1 (then A69). The Red Quadrant was the first bit of the Metrocentre to open and this bus station lasted for around six months (maybe less). The second bus station was located next to Marks and Spencer's shortly after the Green Quadrant opened (13th October 1986) - this lasted for about a year. The cinema opened on 16th October 1987 so I'm guessing the third (and first permanent) bus station would have been opened around the same time. The Nationals must have been painted Orange sometime in 1987.

Easyway weren't that visible only operating on the routes discussed in this thread. However North Eastern Bus Services had a few services operating around the Gateshead area including one - the 92 - which served Winlatter Gardens etc. They had Nationals and Coaches which were in a green and cream livery.

[Image: 6043227830_4508a84e57_m.jpg]
(Credit: John Law)

(11 Apr 2015, 12:37 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]The first bus station was located next to Carrefour (old Asda) on the incline leading up to the A1 (then A69). The Red Quadrant was the first bit of the Metrocentre to open and this bus station lasted for around six months (maybe less). The second bus station was located next to Marks and Spencer's shortly after the Green Quadrant opened (13th October 1986) - this lasted for about a year. The cinema opened on 16th October 1987 so I'm guessing the third (and first permanent) bus station would have been opened around the same time. The Nationals must have been painted Orange sometime in 1987.

Easyway weren't that visible only operating on the routes discussed in this thread. However North Eastern Bus Services had a few services operating around the Gateshead area including one - the 92 - which served Winlatter Gardens etc. They had Nationals and Coaches which were in a green and cream livery.

[Image: 6043227830_4508a84e57_m.jpg]
(Credit: John Law)

It is a shame you don't have the timetables for those services.

If the North Eastern went via Whinlatter like you have said; I have used it. Just have no recollection of them at all.
There seems to be a void in my memory, apart from the Orange Nationals and then the Go Gateshead minilinks in the early 90's.
There was a gap, where there wasn't anything operating prior to the Minilinks - guessing this is when the independents gave up.
(11 Apr 2015, 1:14 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]It is a shame you don't have the timetables for those services.

If the North Eastern went via Whinlatter like you have said; I have used it. Just have no recollection of them at all.
There seems to be a void in my memory, apart from the Orange Nationals and then the Go Gateshead minilinks in the early 90's.
There was a gap, where there wasn't anything operating prior to the Minilinks - guessing this is when the independents gave up.

I do for the 92 - from January 1987. It also includes Easyway services 60 and 61.

[attachment=6544]
(11 Apr 2015, 1:24 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I do for the 92 - from January 1987. It also includes Easyway services 60 and 61.

Sorry, thought you said you didn't have it.
Interesting... The Minilink (M something or other - 31?), went a similar route to the North Eastern service. There were a few variations, but nowt major. Think it terminated at the QE or Felling.

I like the metro timetable included in the 93 mind.
(11 Apr 2015, 1:32 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Sorry, thought you said you didn't have it.
Interesting... The Minilink (M something or other - 31?), went a similar route to the North Eastern service. There were a few variations, but nowt major. Think it terminated at the QE or Felling.

I like the metro timetable included in the 93 mind.

I have a gap in my collection between January 1987 and half-way through 1989. 

I'm guessing the 'Big Orange' brand would have commenced and ceased operations during the interim period. As the timetable shows, services 60 and 61 operate between Gateshead and Metrocentre only. GAN have no competing services when that timetable was printed. I'm also guessing that competing services were introduced by GAN when Easyway decided to extend towards Felling Square. 

By 1989, there are no traces of either Easyway or Big Orange services. The 92 still runs but the service has passed into the hands of Tyne and Wear Omnibus which means North Eastern had probably bit the bullet by that point. The M31 and M32 had also been introduced by then.
(11 Apr 2015, 1:24 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I do for the 92 - from January 1987. It also includes Easyway services 60 and 61.

Where do you get these timetables from, is there a place I can view them from?
(11 Apr 2015, 9:11 pm)Jackamcardle wrote [ -> ]Where do you get these timetables from, is there a place I can view them from?

The timetables I've shared in this thread (and other threads) are from my own personal collection. I get them from various places, mostly online auctions. I once started a blog with a view to make my all my collection available to all. Unfortunately I think I was being overly ambitious at the time and the blog fell by the wayside. 

If there's anything specific you want to view just ask. Chances are I probably won't have it but you never know your luck  Wink
(11 Apr 2015, 11:53 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]The timetables I've shared in this thread (and other threads) are from my own personal collection. I get them from various places, mostly online auctions. I once started a blog with a view to make my all my collection available to all. Unfortunately I think I was being overly ambitious at the time and the blog fell by the wayside. 

If there's anything specific you want to view just ask. Chances are I probably won't have it but you never know your luck  ;)

Thanks very much, I was wondering if you have any services that go through Rowlands Gill and High Spen, because this is where I grew up to love buses, but just not in the 80s!  :)
(12 Apr 2015, 9:10 am)Jackamcardle wrote [ -> ]Thanks very much, I was wondering if you have any services that go through Rowlands Gill and High Spen, because this is where I grew up to love buses, but just not in the 80s!  Smile

Coincidentally Rowlands Gill is where I currently reside.

Outside of the 80s, I think I may have one guide from 1993 if that's any good?