North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(30 Jan 2015, 5:32 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I often wonder whether Bridget Phillipson is a bus user herself. I know a number of members of this forum support and share her views, but I cannot help but feel that this attack is completely unnecessary and the points she has made are largely exaggerated. I have previously said that I personally feel The Chronicle regularly (unnecessarily) portrays bus operators in a bad light, so it comes as no surprise that they have supported Bridget by publishing this article.

There are very few links which are lost, as the majority of the service changes see a replacement service provided in some form. Whilst South Shields has lost its direct bus to Sunderland Royal Hospital, it has previously been established that there are a huge number of services per hour from Sunderland City Centre up to Chester Road.

I don't think there have been fifteen changes to the route since 2011, and I think that this has been purposely worded in such a way to come across as striking. I think Bridget may consider 35/35A/35B/35C to be four variations; whilst this is true, the route has not been altered four times to achieve this. Indeed, the old 35B/35C services were used on early mornings/nights/Sundays only, and the main day time services were just the 35/35A.

Silly story.

Of course, further clarity could easily be provided by Nexus, if bus stop timetables could be updated!

We're almost a week into the service changes now, and I'm still having to use my mobile phone to find out when the bus is due, because timetables at bus stops haven't yet been updated.

It is, silly story and i notice she hasn't criticized NEXUS for not changing the timetables at the bus stops... i wonder why........... 
(30 Jan 2015, 5:26 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]I agree she does but when does she ever get the bus?, does she know the profits on each service? 

Does she know what people want in their service, such as links etc? 

Probably not! I would be interested to know if Bridget actually attended the customer consultation for these service changes... Maybe Go North East could have defended their wishes to change services and improve her understanding - especially given that a number of these changes were implemented following passenger requests...
(30 Jan 2015, 5:35 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]Well of course there is going to be 80 less journeys a day if there is a frequency decrease, Duh!

What a load of ***** this article is, more whinging about the lost connections, how many people actually did the full 35's route anyway, clearly not that many if they felt the 20/20A would be better to run to South Shields.

Also is really that hard changing buses in Park Lane seriously how much of an absolute drama people are making this out to be, you'd think they were walking 1,000 miles to connect to another bus.

Oh the children have to change buses, well SO DID I when Arriva cut the 7 from running direct to Fram when I was at New College and what did I do, I got on and changed buses to get where I wanted to be, I was wasn't happy about it but I didn't whinge on and on about it so learn to bloody well live with it like I have to.

“Go North East should explain why these changes are being implemented and how they are in the best interest of passengers" to make improvements to services like you've clearly bloody ignored.

So stop moaning and learn to live with change instead of living in a mythical dream world where everything stays the same forever just to suit you. RANT OVER!

Lmao, its not end of the world is it, what about who have to get 2 buses everyday, iv'e just said it on a different post... its not like Sunderland Hospital is not well bus routed... most services which run that way run every 10 or 15 minutes... with a bus every 5 or so minutes
(30 Jan 2015, 3:14 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Is that to do with road/traffic management issues?

Yeah, they have serious concerns around peak timing with the main issue being around school children.

On a secondary note there's a public meeting about the new school in Birtley on Monday which will be sited off Blackfell Way supporting the idea of sending a bus up there really
(30 Jan 2015, 5:32 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]The Chronicle regularly (unnecessarily) portrays bus operators in a bad light, so it comes as no surprise that they have supported Bridget by publishing this article.

I remember when there was lots of people getting hit by buses in Newcastle "20 ODD PEOPLE INJURED BY EVIL LARGE STINKING BUSES IN NEWCASTLE!!!" yeah who's to say that all these incidents were because of the buses themselves and not just people stepping in traffic without looking.
(30 Jan 2015, 5:37 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]Probably not! I would be interested to know if Bridget actually attended the customer consultation for these service changes... Maybe Go North East could have defended their wishes to change services and improve her understanding - especially given that a number of these changes were implemented following passenger requests...

She won't have, she wouldn't of being bothered, its not like it effects her, she'll have a nice car and that!

I like the new 35/36 route, but only Malarky would do it from Town end farm to Chester-le-street! haha 
(30 Jan 2015, 5:39 pm)Jimmi wrote [ -> ]I remember when there was lots of people getting hit by buses in Newcastle "20 ODD PEOPLE INJURED BY EVIL LARGE STINKING BUSES IN NEWCASTLE!!!" yeah who's to say that all these incidents were because of the buses themselves and not just people stepping in traffic without looking.

Something which we've had to deal with multiple times in Stockton over the last few months, upto 5 incidents at present!

People need to realise that streamlining of services is the way forward - 4 hourly variations are harder to market & understand than a 15 min frequency on a single route, and people find them easier to use. Unfortunately what they don't realise is that this means communities effectively get cut off.
(30 Jan 2015, 5:42 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Something which we've had to deal with multiple times in Stockton over the last few months, upto 5 incidents at present!

People need to realise that streamlining of services is the way forward - 4 hourly variations are harder to market & understand than a 15 min frequency on a single route, and people find them easier to use. Unfortunately what they don't realise is that this means communities effectively get cut off.

Even as an bus enthusiast i sometimes found it hard to follow the routes of the 35/35A/35B/35C.... tbh, changing them to 35/35A/36.. is much better! 
(30 Jan 2015, 5:39 pm)gtom wrote [ -> ]Yeah, they have serious concerns around peak timing with the main issue being around school children.

On a secondary note there's a public meeting about the new school in Birtley on Monday which will be sited off Blackfell Way supporting the idea of sending a bus up there really

Not surprised at the first point at all, having mentioned it previously in relation to Ravensworth Terrace school. Obviously, you have Lord Lawson in the area too.
Do you have any further details on the meeting?
(30 Jan 2015, 5:50 pm)Andreos1 wrote [ -> ]Not surprised at the first point at all, having mentioned it previously in relation to Ravensworth Terrace school. Obviously, you have Lord Lawson in the area too.
Do you have any further details on the meeting?

This Monday. 2-6.30 at the current Ravensworth terrace
Managing director of Go North East Kevin Carr, said the changes were introduced after a consultation with Nexus and customers.

He said many of the services now travelled closer to shops.
He said: “We are the number one bus operator in Sunderland and it’s really important that we adapt our services to meet customers’ needs.”

Come on then, lets see who bites. 

Are GNE the number one bus operator in Sunderland like Kevin Carr claims?

Or would that be Stagecoach?
(30 Jan 2015, 6:10 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Come on then, lets see who bites. 

I think the real answer is: it depends.

My initial reaction to the statement was that I personally disagree, as I consider Stagecoach to be the principal bus operator in Sunderland. This is mainly due to the fact I live in Monkwearmouth and I am served by a large number of Stagecoach services.

That said, what forms our judgement on which bus operator is the best in Sunderland? Go North East are the only bus operator in Sunderland to have buses equipped with both Wi-Fi and power sockets - does this make them the 'number one bus operator in Sunderland'?
(30 Jan 2015, 6:12 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]I think the real answer is: it depends.

My initial reaction to the statement was that I personally disagree, as I consider Stagecoach to be the principal bus operator in Sunderland. This is mainly due to the fact I live in Monkwearmouth and I am served by a large number of Stagecoach services.

I suppose it would depend on how 'Sunderland' is defined for one - is it the city or the wider area - but, arguably, it seems that Mr Carr enjoys hyperbole just as much as The Chronicle does.
(30 Jan 2015, 6:10 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]Come on then, lets see who bites. 

I think on buses based within Sunderland, GNE have more
(30 Jan 2015, 6:16 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]I think on buses based within Sunderland, GNE have more

On this basis, I'd agree that Go North East was the 'number one bus operator in Sunderland'.

As I said before, it depends how you define it. Go North East has a fleet of 131 buses based at Deptford, whereas Stagecoach only houses 98 at the Wheatsheaf (including two buses for disposal, two Olympians limited to Park & Ride duties, two active reserves and two training vehicles.)
(30 Jan 2015, 6:16 pm)citaro5284 wrote [ -> ]I think on buses based within Sunderland, GNE have more

But does 'having more buses' necessarily equate to being the number one bus operator?

Surely customers decide that based on ridership?

You can have all the buses in the world operating in Sunderland, however if nobody is using them...
(30 Jan 2015, 5:42 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Something which we've had to deal with multiple times in Stockton over the last few months, upto 5 incidents at present!

Couldn't agree more, however operators need to realise that cutting communities off, forcing them into changes to get to school, their GP or hospital - will result in the stories like this, where they will get stick and they will get flack.
Particularly, when profit/competition is the motivating factor in the changes.

(30 Jan 2015, 6:14 pm)MurdnunoC wrote [ -> ]I suppose it would depend on how 'Sunderland' is defined for one - is it the city or the wider area - but, arguably, it seems that Mr Carr enjoys hyperbole just as much as The Chronicle does.
Got to take the rough with the smooth.
If the paper can be used as a PR machine or the website used for advertisements, then in a democracy, the operator has to take the flak.

I wonder if number one is in relation to bus routes, vehicles, passenger numbers, profit, satisfaction rates or the size of a bus depot.
It could be anything.
I don't think anybody has a right to complain about the recent service changes. Go North East held that consultation in Park Lane long before the changes were made and if they couldn't make it, they could have used their brains and contacted them in a different way such as through email or phone. The public were given plenty of opportunity to give their opinions and plenty of notice of the changes so i don't think it should be taken as a surprise by anybody.
(30 Jan 2015, 6:33 pm)Robert wrote [ -> ]I don't think anybody has a right to complain about the recent service changes. Go North East held that consultation in Park Lane long before the changes were made and if they couldn't make it, they could have used their brains and contacted them in a different way such as through email or phone. The public were given plenty of opportunity to give their opinions and plenty of notice of the changes so i don't think it should be taken as a surprise by anybody.

We can all remember the consultation, where representatives turned up late and were there once, questioning passengers who happened to be in the area over the several hours they were there.
Passengers on other parts of the routes, going in different directions or getting off prior to Park Lane weren't asked.

Passengers who couldn't get to the event, were unable to find out about the changes when they asked the operator via email or social media.

Passengers were unable to voice their concerns to the changes, as they had no idea what the changes were, (unless they were a member on here) until the announcements informed us all they were happening.
(30 Jan 2015, 5:28 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]I'm gonna try and go back and find out what routes we've had for the 35. 

There's been 7 versions of the 35 series timetable since 2011 - so presumably the routes have changed up to 7 times since 2011 - which is still bonkers.