North East Buses

Full Version: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(16 Sep 2015, 3:42 pm)S813 FVK wrote [ -> ]Talking of silly services - the 704 needs to go. Never ever gets used. Mainly because it only operates on evenings...

I think merging the services might allow the numbers to go up, i forgot that service even ran. 

The changes to the 130/131/706/707 - will hopefully allow the Venture brand services to begin with V..

The 689/704 should be changed to show a V... (Although the 704 can be merged with 130/131/706/707.

More changes should hopefully appear on VOSA soon.................
(16 Sep 2015, 3:20 pm)Dan wrote [ -> ]at the end of the month when this season's AD122 finishes, 

Each year I keep thinking of taking a trip on the AD122.

Looks like I've left it too late again (I am away this weekend and busy next week).

Also I have mislaid my concessionary pass!  Angry
Dom't think GNE could compete with ANE's Northumberland routes but the 434 might work. Mind you, if they had've tried in 2012 when they screwed up big time (X20 no shows, X21 / X22 badly timed and running late), they could've done it then.
(16 Sep 2015, 6:28 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Dom't think GNE could compete with ANE's Northumberland routes but the 434 might work. Mind you, if they had've tried in 2012 when they screwed up big time (X20 no shows, X21 / X22 badly timed and running late), they could've done it then.
Bargain bus mk2? Wink
(16 Sep 2015, 1:33 pm)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]Looks like GNE are making a mark in the area. I can't see anything on the NCC website about changes to 30 & 34, so it looks commercial. 

Explains why the StreetDeck was sighted in the area.

Yea, it gives a possible indication as to why the StreetDeck was in this area recently and also possibly explains why I saw a GNE Renault Kango van coming over Cambois Railway crossings this morning.
Terrific news. Hopefully Carlisle may well be next (not a lot can be made worse than Arriva's 685 job at the moment)....

Also a bit of a shame no TEN B9s can drop on the 185 - there's a low bridge at Gilsland... Smile
Does the GNE 185 step on ANE's toes (or SNE either) - or just Telfords?
(16 Sep 2015, 10:28 pm)G-CPTN wrote [ -> ]Does the GNE 185 step on ANE's toes (or SNE either) - or just Telfords?

Seems to be a direct replacement for Telford's. Running alongside ANE.

Cumbria County Council have been cutting buses to no end recently; I'm guessing these have caused the changes alongside NCC.
(16 Sep 2015, 6:28 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]Dom't think GNE could compete with ANE's Northumberland routes but the 434 might work. Mind you, if they had've tried in 2012 when they screwed up big time (X20 no shows, X21 / X22 badly timed and running late), they could've done it then.

I'm being told by loads of people that the 30 and 34 is indeed being cut. As Dan stated before that the 434 might be a council contract. Go North East wouldn't operate (commercially) on a two-hourly basis on a timetable similar to the 34 prior to the 6th July 2014 changes.

I bet that this is linked into why a council employee was on the 30 a few months ago.
(17 Sep 2015, 8:05 am)GX03 SVC wrote [ -> ]I'm being told by loads of people that the 30 and 34 is indeed being cut. As Dan stated before that the 434 might be a council contract. Go North East wouldn't operate (commercially) on a two-hourly basis on a timetable similar to the 34 prior to the 6th July 2014 changes.

I bet that this is linked into why a council employee was on the 30 a few months ago.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the 34 is subsidised by NCC contract, so I would also guess that GNE new 434 service could also be NCC funded.

However I must add that each time I've seen the current Arriva 34 Service pass thru Sleekburn/Cambois in either direction it has always been pretty much empty! I think I've only ever seen 4 or 5 passengers at most! I must add I've never travelled on this service, it just passes my office. It may be busier as it travels away from the Sleekburn/Cambois areas.

Arriva pretty much always use a Double Decker on this route also, bit of a waste I think based on the passenger levels that I have noticed. Although again I'm not sure if I read somewhere that NCC insist that a Double Decker is used as part of the contract.
I must also say that its Great News! that GNE are expanding further in the Tyne Valley, shame the couple of new services are just few times per day!But hey, its a start in the right direction.

I think GNE could do OK, by introducing a service from Hexham via Haydon Bridge to Haltwhistle - I have family and friends in the Haltwhistle area, who complain how poor the bus service is down the valley to Hexham.

It would be a shame if the X84 is withdrawn on a Sunday.. I'm sure there must be willing passengers from Ovington, Ovingham and Wylam that would love a Sunday Service, even if it was just 2 or 3 journeys each direction or every 2 hours as someone has mentioned. However I suppose if the passenger aren't there, then no point running the service at a loss.
West of Hexham (currently served by ANE shared with SNE) has long been a bone of contention.
Services frequently were late or failed completely.
The residents of Haydon Bridge are poorly served by trains, being two-hourly unless they travel first to Haltwhistle then back through Haydon Bridge, so they rely on the bus for a regular hourly service.
Delays from Carlisle along the A69 are understandable given the nature of the road not being dual carriageway (although recent changes to speed limits for trucks from 40mph to 60mph have eased the situation), and the route meanders from the A69 to pass through settlements that are by-passed, adding delays when rejoining the main A69 due to nose-to-tail traffic. 

Arriva (and Stagecoach) have updated their vehicle stock so breakdowns have reduced, though having to service replacements from Carlisle or Jesmond (the Hexham depot is now run by GNE) means lengthy delays whenever a breakdown occurs 'midway'.
GNE revamped their Tynedale Express to alternate X84 and X85 such that X85 journey times are faster to and from Hexham than ANE/SNE's 685/85 services as well as being in direct competition on the Newcastle/Hexham section.
Extending the X85 westwards towards Carlisle would offer a 'better' model (with a Hexham base for replacements if necessary).

If GNE were to compete they would, at least initially offer Haydon Bridge passengers two buses per hour. 
Of course ANE/SNE might abandon the through route . . .
County Councillors have long lobbied for bus (and train) routes to include Gilsland on a regular basis, something that the 185 goes somewhat towards solving. That GNE have taken over 185 from Telfords might indicate their intentions.
Extending the routes westward from Hexham's soon to be new bus station would eliminate criticism that buses won't serve the centre of Hexham, so there is much to be gained if GNE are so minded.
(16 Sep 2015, 1:35 pm)Michael wrote [ -> ]
Hopefully X84 will get more journeys on a Sunday because from October 11th... none of the Tynedale Links will run on a Sunday.

Tynedale Xpress
Service X84
  • The Sunday daytime journeys have been withdrawn as a result of the Northumberland County Council funding review.
It's been confirmed by Arriva supervisors that the Arriva 34 and the Phoenix 30 are being withdrawn from 11th October.

The 434 is basically the 30/34 merged.
(18 Sep 2015, 12:21 am)park5354 wrote [ -> ]Tynedale Xpress
Service X84
  • The Sunday daytime journeys have been withdrawn as a result of the Northumberland County Council funding review.

Cheers, glad GNE have confimed it.
I can't understand why GNE run the slower X84 5 mins in front of the 85/685 departure of ANE/SNW from Eldon Square?

Surely if that departed at XX:10 and the X85 left at XX:40 more people would travel on the quicker variant between Newcastle and Corbridge/Hexham to the detriment of the competing operators.
Yes, I've always thought it strange timetabling. The X85 should run in front of the 685.
I believe that the Arriva/Stagecoach 685/85 leaves Eldon Square @ 45 minutes past the hour.
Having the X85 leave 'in between' offers an alternative.
I can't believe nobody actually checked VOSA yesterday as well Wink
(18 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm)Kuyoyo wrote [ -> ]I can't believe nobody actually checked VOSA yesterday as well Wink

I did but nothing was post on it for upcoming changes?